Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

getting into refereeing Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

getting into refereeing

3 posters

Go down

getting into refereeing Empty getting into refereeing

Post by odie1993 10/7/2014, 10:08 am

My BB is wanting to start to ref the little ones when he is not playing. He will turn 12 shortly so I know he will be eligible to do this next season. Can one of the refs on this forum give some info on what is needed, besides the class, to get him started into this field. IE: registering, equipment needed, etc.

Thanks in advance
odie1993
odie1993
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

getting into refereeing Empty Re: getting into refereeing

Post by debit 10/7/2014, 10:20 am

I'm not a ref, but went through this with my son earlier this year.

1. Register for the Grade 9 class.  It's offered by most local rec organizations at various dates.  I think you must be 12 years old by the date of the class.  For us, it was a Saturday class from roughly 9-4 if I recall correctly.  Must pass a test at the end of the class--pretty easy for a select player.

2. Put together a kit.  We went to our local soccer store (Soccer City in Lewisville) and they had a package available for new refs which included 1 yellow short sleeve jersey, shorts, socks, whistle, flags (don't need these for grade 9), cards with a little carrying pouch.  Also need a wrist stopwatch, bag (my kid uses one of his many sling bags), several coins for coin flips, pencils/pens, mostly black shoes (Adidas Sambas work great).  May want to supplement it with long sleeve ref shirts, other color ref shirts or some black under armor for cold games.

3. Contact a ref assignor (most likely in your local rec league) to notify them that you have a new ref and ask them about next steps.  For us, the association has a pre-season meeting for refs and they use an online system that we needed to register through to set availability, receive and accept game assignments, receive their pay, etc.

4. Take them to their first game.

5. Sit back and watch them grow into a young man.

For us, it's been a wonderful experience.  I remember one of the huge mistakes he made his first weekend.  Both coaches were frustrated and approached him on the field at halftime.  There was a long discussion, but it never got heated.  I could tell his knees were knocking the whole time, but he walked off the field and explained to me what happened.  It basically came down to he realized the mistake he made, he made a decision to correct the error.  Neither coach was happy with the decision, but accepted it.  He explained his decision and his reasoning to 40 year old men who were complete strangers.  BIG growing up moment.  Proud dad!

Other benefits:  He can buy his own ridiculously overpriced headphones and other various electronics.

debit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by odie1993 10/7/2014, 10:29 am

Thanks Debit. that was some of the stuff I needed to know. He asked me yesterday what he would have to do with the money. I told him he gets to do what he wants, within reason, with it. i.e. buying expensive electronics, jerseys, etc.
odie1993
odie1993
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 10/24/2014, 1:44 pm

Odie, good luck with your new ref. It's a great way for kids to make a little extra cash and learn how to deal with the public.

My oldest bb is on his 4th year as a ref and loves it. Like Debit, we started out with Mr. Ali at Soccer City in Lewisville. He sold us the entire referee kit, including the watch. I fronted the money and bb repaid me from his earnings (which I put into his savings account).

His first lesson was to tune out coaches/parents when they disagree with his calls. Parents and coaches are rarely happy in sporting competitions and there is always someone who disagrees with every call.

When the sideline gets out of hand, he will stop the game and send them off. That's how you deal with the unreasonable among us...

It's also a great way to play the game forward. Our kids are the coaches for the next generation. If we stay involved with our communities, the game will continue to improve.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down