Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

HS Soccer Questions Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

HS Soccer Questions

+9
GunsandRoses
dfwsoccerdad
SailorMoon
davito
earbucket
DragonStryker
LLHowie
MurderWasTheCase
FCclueless
13 posters

Go down

HS Soccer Questions Empty HS Soccer Questions

Post by FCclueless 4/17/2018, 8:09 pm

I seek the wisdom and experience of the board as my BB enters the age of HS soccer - please dispel or confirm these legends;

1) heard some select clubs (or at least the higher levels at the clubs) frown on or restrict playing for club and alma mater?  Better go ask coach, his boss, the club director?

2) getting on most teams is 50% athleticism and 50% politics... Some soccer skill is a nice to have (very different back when I kicked the little ball around.. But it was stone)

3) MOST HS soccer programs in my area are good for a few extra touches but forget getting better training and growth ... Now the HS games I have watched seemed like good soccer but those were championships...  The middle school games played made rec look like MLS and select like EPL

4) MANY parents on club say just stick with select, HS not conducive to growth, are they just being
Sour apples...

Thanks in advance

Last edited by FCclueless on 4/17/2018, 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sentence structure - orig wrote on phone)

FCclueless
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

HS Soccer Questions Empty Re: HS Soccer Questions

Post by MurderWasTheCase 4/17/2018, 8:17 pm

School soccer = rec = true statement = stick with club

MurderWasTheCase
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by LLHowie 4/18/2018, 9:04 am

It all depends on your outlook going in. I wouldn't go in hoping for development, however your BB will get to play with his school friends which hardly ever occurs in club soccer and may be a welcome break from the usual daily grind.

LLHowie
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonStryker 4/18/2018, 9:25 am

LLHowie wrote:It all depends on your outlook going in.  I wouldn't go in hoping for development, however your BB will get to play with his school friends which hardly ever occurs in club soccer and may be a welcome break from the usual daily grind.

My oldest played HS soccer, I would add to the above that in addition to playing with his school friends, he'll get a chance to play in an actual stadium with actual fans in attendance to see the game that aren't all directly related to players on the field, something most never get to actually experience. And if he's good, a letter jacket as a freshman isn't a bad thing either.

Coaching may or may not be as bad as you think. The coaches for most of the larger, more successful high school programs are also generally successful club coaches (I realize that isn't saying much in many cases). You'll also get the advantage of daily training and while the coaching and teammates may be subpar compared to what you might have on your club team, my son found that he got out of the training exactly what he put in (i.e. he worked hard and he got better, in spite of the team, coaches, etc.), though he was lucky that a majority of his teammates also played on local D1 teams and his coach is a prominent and successful local club coach.
DragonStryker
DragonStryker
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by earbucket 4/18/2018, 12:32 pm

My kid played HS for one year out of four. Be prepared for every game to be on turf. There were a stunning number of injuries that happened to his team. No proof that it had anything to do with turf, but of the three players who had some kind of award (HM or AD) in previous year, accounted for a total of 10 district games out of a potential 42 (14 games in district).

The camaraderie was great for my kid, but the quality of soccer was disappointing for him playing and me as a spectator. The coaches were fine compared to his club coaches. My kid would do it again.

earbucket
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by davito 4/18/2018, 1:14 pm

The Club schedule accommodates HS soccer from December to April so if you are on a CL or PPL club team you won't have much to do during that time unless you play HS.

The HS standard is generally not as good as Club but the boys do like the experience of playing for their school. Lots of long ball and the turf sucks. Endless subbing means 100 mph soccer that favors high pressure and boot it over patient passing. The compressed schedule means lots of scope for injuries and don't expect player growth due to coaching. Most games are freezing cold as played at night during the winter.

You also need to watch out for how much load you put on the body of growing kids especially in off season with daily HS workouts plus 2 to 4 club practices a week.
davito
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SailorMoon 4/18/2018, 4:38 pm

And I will never understand why Classic League scheduled last week's games on Saturday.  It was the elite 8 for high school soccer being played that day.  Would it have killed them to put the games on Sunday until the championship is over? We were missing 4 key players due to hs playoffs and if my son's team hadn't lost Friday night in sweet 16 he would have been missing too!! And case and point, we have games tonight - and guess what else is tonight - semi-final games in hs soccer.  Go figure. It was a beating on his body though, playoff game Friday night, classic league game Saturday, then a game tonight and a game on Saturday and Sunday in a couple of days.

It's not club quality soccer but it's fun for the boys and all they fans they acquire. Where else will they get the pretty girls holding the signs up and cheering? Smile  Just my 2 cents anyway.

SailorMoon
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by dfwsoccerdad 4/20/2018, 11:57 am

My son didn't play HS this year (he finished basketball and started baseball during the "break). He had many friends on the team and although they did well, the quality is poor. What is worse is that our classic league season has restarted and our level of play has dropped quite a bit as almost every kid played HS soccer.

dfwsoccerdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by LLHowie 4/20/2018, 12:25 pm

Did the quality drop because they played high school soccer or because there is a long break between seasons?

LLHowie
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SailorMoon 4/20/2018, 1:08 pm

I'll second the quality drop. Something happened that's for sure. We started club practice almost back to normal the past couple or three weeks and have scrimmaged and had at least a biweekly practice during the "break". HS soccer is primarily on turf fields, which is not where soccer is supposed to be played -- but the reason for the quality drop -- good question.

SailorMoon
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsandRoses 4/20/2018, 1:50 pm

Do public schools let homeschoolers play in the DFW area?
GunsandRoses
GunsandRoses
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nearpost95 4/21/2018, 1:25 pm

GunsandRoses wrote:Do public schools let homeschoolers play in the DFW area?  

no - proposed bills to allow this have not become law.

There is a home school athletic association that fields teams and plays against private schools. http://www.hsaa.org

nearpost95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hzawall 4/24/2018, 9:18 am

HS soccer is better in some districts than others. My son always used HS soccer as a way to stay fit during the break. He will no longer play HS soccer because this past year a parent from another team called out to his son to take my son out. It can get very dangerous and dirty.

As an even more important point is your commitment to your club team. This is lost by many parents since they pay for club soccer they feel they can miss games. If your son plays for a strong soccer school, there is a good chance the team will go far into the playoffs. Playoffs overlap Dallas Cup and Classic League. You made your commitment to the boys on your club team in July and HS soccer is a secondary commitment. You have to make sure you go into HS soccer knowing that if there are conflicts club always comes first. Your son has a commitment to the other boys on the team and you to the financial commitment of the other parents. I was always clear with my sons HS coach that he would miss a HS game for club game if there was a conflict. The more competitive the team the more important this is.

hzawall
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NTXD 4/26/2018, 10:38 pm

Our experience has been quite the opposite.  Most of the boys on my son's club team, which is a top D1 team (National League, DC, etc.), would all miss a club game to play a HS game.  The coach understands that and has no issue with it.  Many missed league and even Dallas Cup games for HS Playoffs.  

While many of the HS games are not that pretty to watch, it is certainly no worse than what I see week in and week out at Richland College.  Some of the better games were on par with many of the DA games that my son played in for years before he decided to move on from that (a whole different discussion for another thread).  Plus, the atmosphere, camaraderie and experience of HS (especially in the playoffs) was much more enjoyable than any DA or Classic League game.  Of course my son plays for a top HS team so I am sure it can be quite different for others.

It all comes down to what your kid wants to get out of it and the opportunities he has.  I just wouldn't summarily dismiss HS as "bad soccer" or secondary to club in importance.

NTXD
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 4/27/2018, 3:10 am

My BB was recruited NCAA D1 right out of HS. He has a dual academic and athletic scholarship. Club never did anything for him in terms of college recruitment.

I agree with what was said earlier in terms of getting out what you put in. If you go all the way in the state tournament and win, the competition is as good as you can get anywhere because it’s the best of the best.

I’m a big believer in the concept of more than one way to get there. The key is to be a standout performer in the path you choose.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down