Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Moving to Frisco/Plano - 2012 Player Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Moving to Frisco/Plano - 2012 Player

5 posters

Go down

Moving to Frisco/Plano - 2012 Player Empty Moving to Frisco/Plano - 2012 Player

Post by SouthBound 4/27/2018, 1:10 am

My family will be moving to the Frisco/Plano area near the end of July. My son is a 2012 and I would say is a pretty advanced player for his age (especially for our current area in Kansas City). Does anyone have any information on how things work down in the Dallas area for this age? I am very experienced with competitive soccer and follow the Texas scene quite a bit, but I'm not quite sure how tryouts work down there. Are there even tryouts for this age? I know of all of the major clubs (FCD, Solar, Texans, Liverpool, etc.). I looked at their websites and none really had information on tryouts for this age. We will be down to visit near the end of May to finalize some things and can visit again at the beginning of July if need be.

Any information would be great. I'm a bit of a youth soccer nut, so I'm very excited to experience the youth soccer culture down there!

SouthBound
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Moving to Frisco/Plano - 2012 Player Empty Re: Moving to Frisco/Plano - 2012 Player

Post by MurderWasTheCase 4/27/2018, 6:58 am

wow really, advanced 2012? You will fit right in with the rest of the ego maniacs.

Welcome you found the right place.

MurderWasTheCase
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Moving to Frisco/Plano - 2012 Player Empty Re: Moving to Frisco/Plano - 2012 Player

Post by SouthBound 4/27/2018, 7:28 am

Wow. Lol. That's what you took from my post? I'm an ego maniac? I think this forum may have you a little on edge, my friend.

I was simply trying to give as much context as possible. Wouldn't your advice be quite a bit different if someone said "my 2012 son just started rec soccer 3 months ago"?

Either way, I'm not really interested in changing your opinion about me on here. I'm simply looking for any information that might make this transition a little easier for my family.

I appreciate the response, though. Hope you have a good day!

SouthBound
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by allen04 4/27/2018, 9:50 am

Clubs should have an age group coordinator or youth academy director. Email them; they will direct you. No real tryouts at that age, it will be pretty much up to you picking which teams you want your kid on. Take him to practices; see how he fits with the other players. Honestly; for the fall I would recommend making your first choice on location, location, location until you see first hand the teams and players. You can move to different coaches or clubs easily; just don't burn bridges when you do it; the coaches all know each other. (hint: don't quit during a season)
allen04
allen04
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthBound 4/27/2018, 12:35 pm

allen04 wrote:Clubs should have an age group coordinator or youth academy director.  Email them; they will direct you.  No real tryouts at that age, it will be pretty much up to you picking which teams you want your kid on.  Take him to practices; see how he fits with the other players.  Honestly; for the fall I would recommend making your first choice on location, location, location until you see first hand the teams and players.  You can move to different coaches or clubs easily; just don't burn bridges when you do it; the coaches all know each other. (hint: don't quit during a season)

OK. Thanks for the info. I'll reach out to the age group directors. I'm a little confused as to how they don't have tryouts at all for this age because I've seen that some of them are already playing in tournaments with u7 groups. Maybe you just join their program and they take the top kids to form tournament teams?

Also, we are leaning towards Frisco being our home. Is this a good central location? I know FCD is based in Frisco, but aren't Solar and Texans decently close, as well?

Thanks again!

SouthBound
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by allen04 4/27/2018, 1:30 pm

some of them are already playing in tournaments with u7 groups

Teams can find local tournaments just about every week. Playing on a team in a tournament is not a big deal here. Family in Indiana have soccer players and for them it's an accomplishment to be invited or to make the travel team to play in a tournament. Here, at younger ages, you can play one weekend in a tournament for FCD and then next week for Solar; etc. I have known kids that played for one team in one division and a 2nd team in a different division in the same tournament.

FCD is an easy pick for Frisco. They have great facilities, good coaches. Solar can also be an option since their practice fields will be right off of 121. At that age however, coaches could have practices all over the area at neighborhood or school parks.

You are just going to have to roll the dice a bit and jump in. Just remember you are the one in control of your kid and coaches will often tell you what they think you want to hear.
allen04
allen04
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncleof05AP 4/27/2018, 1:37 pm

Here, especially at that age, you are generally joining a team, not a club.  Thus, if there is a team that you like, you merely email the coach or manager and ask if your son can come to a few practices.  If your son is a stud or if the team needs players, the coach will ask you to join the team.  Over the summer, you can attend practices for a hundred teams if you wanted.  At the academy age, in general, clubs do not have an open tryout period.

If you truly are gung ho, you can go watch six-year old kids play in local tournaments and leagues to find a team.  

Allen04 usually has good advice.  For now, I would find a team that is local.  I would also focus on finding a coach that you and your son like.  To me, the coach is so much more important than the team.  Moreover, I would suggest not limiting yourself to a big club.  

Finally, I would think long and hard about joining a club team at that age.  There are so many local programs that you can use to supplement your son's training that will do more in developing your son than a club team (City Futsal, PIT, etc.).  Review the posts on this board and ask yourself, "Do I really want to be like them."

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthBound 4/27/2018, 4:04 pm

Uncleof05AP wrote:Here, especially at that age, you are generally joining a team, not a club.  Thus, if there is a team that you like, you merely email the coach or manager and ask if your son can come to a few practices.  If your son is a stud or if the team needs players, the coach will ask you to join the team.  Over the summer, you can attend practices for a hundred teams if you wanted.  At the academy age, in general, clubs do not have an open tryout period.

If you truly are gung ho, you can go watch six-year old kids play in local tournaments and leagues to find a team.  

Allen04 usually has good advice.  For now, I would find a team that is local.  I would also focus on finding a coach that you and your son like.  To me, the coach is so much more important than the team.  Moreover, I would suggest not limiting yourself to a big club.  

Finally, I would think long and hard about joining a club team at that age.  There are so many local programs that you can use to supplement your son's training that will do more in developing your son than a club team (City Futsal, PIT, etc.).  Review the posts on this board and ask yourself, "Do I really want to be like them."

Thanks a lot for the advice! Are there any coaches that are known for doing well with younger players down there?

I will definitely be looking into City Futsal and PIT. I'm a huge fan of futsal and really believe in it's role in developing strong technical players. I don't know much about PIT, other than Peter Luccin being there? I Know he coaches the FCD 05's who I've seen play in person. Super impressive team.

My worry is that I will be coming down after teams have already started forming for next season, but it sounds like I will have plenty of opportunities once we get down there!

SouthBound
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthBound 4/27/2018, 4:10 pm

allen04 wrote:
some of them are already playing in tournaments with u7 groups

Teams can find local tournaments just about every week.  Playing on a team in a tournament is not a big deal here.  Family in Indiana have soccer players and for them it's an accomplishment to be invited or to make the travel team to play in a tournament.  Here, at younger ages, you can play one weekend in a tournament for FCD and then next week for Solar; etc.  I have known kids that played for one team in one division and a 2nd team in a different division in the same tournament.

FCD is an easy pick for Frisco.  They have great facilities, good coaches.  Solar can also be an option since their practice fields will be right off of 121.  At that age however, coaches could have practices all over the area at neighborhood or school parks.  

You are just going to have to roll the dice a bit and jump in.  Just remember you are the one in control of your kid and coaches will often tell you what they think you want to hear.  

Very interesting. Here in Kansas City, playing on two teams in the same tournament would never be allowed. Rules are pretty strict here. Maybe not at the u6/u7 ages, but definitely once you reach u8/u9. Guest playing happens here, but not nearly as much as there, apparently. This is kind of making me feel like I'm going into the Wild West! Laughing

SouthBound
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by fan1527 4/28/2018, 7:30 am

No need to worry about teams forming. Loads of time. If I was coming to new area, new school with a young one, I would sign up for my local rec League. Reason, chance to meet new friends, play with classmates and just have fun. Then just check out many academies in your area. At 2012 age, coaches will take players throughout the year. I have 3 kids playing, all much older, when young, pre competitive, they all played for their rec team, played with a local academy group, and guest played all over the place, and went to many open practices. Great opportunity to observe coaches in practice environments and game environments, meet parents with older kids, and collect all sorts of info. Giddy up Partner! Welcome to the Wild West.

fan1527
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SouthBound 4/28/2018, 4:16 pm

fan1527 wrote:No need to worry about teams forming. Loads of time. If I was coming to new area, new school with a young one, I would sign up for my local rec League. Reason, chance to meet new friends, play with classmates and just have fun. Then just check out many academies in your area. At 2012 age, coaches will take players throughout the year. I have 3 kids playing, all much older, when young, pre competitive, they all played for their rec team, played with a local academy group, and guest played all over the place, and went to many open practices. Great opportunity to observe coaches in practice environments and game environments, meet parents with older kids, and collect all sorts of info. Giddy up Partner! Welcome to the Wild West.

I'm definitely considering having him play on a school rec team as well as a different program (maybe even City Futsal or PIT). Making friends will be a huge deal early on and I love how sports allow kids to do just that.

I'm excited (and maybe a little nervous) to enter into the Wild West. Might need to buy a cowboy hat! Shocked Laughing

SouthBound
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down