Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Get Ready Boys & Girls-Major Changes Coming - Page 10 Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Get Ready Boys & Girls-Major Changes Coming

+57
hookem
yellow-card
zipperhead
socmom97
The German
shoottoscore
earbucket
omega striker
Muppet
soccermom040
soccerrus2
FSFFL
rantnrave
my2cents
striker6
oiseau66
regulator
Yak Attack
bootit
LDW
crfan
M Patient
Ibystander
CLUB31
P1er
ontherightside
plantit
anselansel
WRG
Little Blue
THE NEEDLE
SoccerNutz07
CH1
clueless
Marvin
R1
soccergrinder
soccermom14
forbin
DownTown21
FCdad
kickingbird
OnTheSurface
norwich city
drsoccer
futbolnutt
Freeatlast
Soccernovice
Roman
go99
finish1
Aswan
mrclean
happyfeet
TheFarPost
BlueBandit
irish86
61 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Get Ready Boys & Girls-Major Changes Coming - Page 10 Empty Re: Get Ready Boys & Girls-Major Changes Coming

Post by go99 4/7/2011, 11:44 pm

so to be clear I am on the development side of the fence. Many around the world argue that the US has some of the best athletes on the soccer field, they just can't play. And what one person calls chosing to play football another calls soccer chosing football for you.

go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Get Ready Boys & Girls-Major Changes Coming - Page 10 Empty Re: Get Ready Boys & Girls-Major Changes Coming

Post by soccergrinder 4/8/2011, 1:53 am

Soccernovice wrote:The development of players are driven by strong coaches that teach technical skills and expect a style of play that leverages those skills. Players are given the freedom to play technically and learn to control the ball under pressure, distribute it, move to space, and use the whole field of play effectively. Whether a player practices more or plays more games, if they are not being trained technically with small sided games, emphasis on retaining possession of the ball, etc. and bringing that forward to a game environment it doesn't matter where you play except when you are showcasing at U17 and above. Most teams and coaches are not teaching this way so most players are not getting proper technical development. Any new leagues are not going to change this fact so why move around to different leagues. Find a good coach and stick with him. When the player turns U17, they can move if they need to to showcase for college coaches and by then will be properly developed.

Novice,

A very nice post and I agree mostly. Teaching technical skills is one of many important aspects of soccer. However there are many others and technical skills are way down the list of what college coaches truly look for. I am not saying that college coaches do not want technically gifted players, it's just not at the top of the list. Not saying that it's a good thing but it is what it is.

While the Academy League theoretically is supposed to be about Developement, it really isn't. From my experince in watching and having a player in Academy League for the last 3 years there is little development occuring directly that was any different than in Classic League and Premier League. Coaches either develop players or they don't. That is up to the personality of the individual coach. Clubs don't develop players, leagues don't develop players. Not directly. Indirectly there is some player developement simply because of the level and speed of the competition. We don't practice any more or less than we did before Academy. However, from my experience 90% of academy teams play a physical long ball game and not a technically gifted game. This is code for the top teams are those that physically beat the s* out of their opponent and try to score on a coutner attack by placing long balls in the box 90% of the game. That is the normal USSF team style of play.

The USSF stated that they would be training the Academy coaches and there would be a focus on Development. This doesn't happen. The coach you had before Academy will be the same coach you have in the Academy and he will coach exactly the same way as he did before. As an example, Texans played long ball before Academy and they can still kick the ball just as far in the Academy. Not trying to pick on the Texans, just using them as an example. The USSF league is set up the same as all other leagues. Win and you get promoted to Regionals and Nationals. Lose and your team/club could be removed from the USSF Academy League. The USSF Academy is all about winning. So in that respect it is no different than any other league. I have yet to see any more development happening in Academy than what was happening before the Academy. FC Dallas may be the exception because of their funding and the ability to access their professional coaches. It's hard to tell with them because they really don't play on an even field with the other clubs since they use some professional players on their teams and the other clubs don't. Take the pro's off of their team and their team would level with the others. An example would be their U16 team. Not trying to pick on FC Dallas either. They want to win just like everyone else. It's all about winning. So they have an advantage, why not use it.

So don't be mislead about anything, the USSF Develpment League and the new US Club Soccer Pre-Academy League is and will be about winning and not player development.

soccergrinder
soccergrinder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerrus2 4/8/2011, 5:58 am

soccergrinder wrote:
Soccernovice wrote:The development of players are driven by strong coaches that teach technical skills and expect a style of play that leverages those skills. Players are given the freedom to play technically and learn to control the ball under pressure, distribute it, move to space, and use the whole field of play effectively. Whether a player practices more or plays more games, if they are not being trained technically with small sided games, emphasis on retaining possession of the ball, etc. and bringing that forward to a game environment it doesn't matter where you play except when you are showcasing at U17 and above. Most teams and coaches are not teaching this way so most players are not getting proper technical development. Any new leagues are not going to change this fact so why move around to different leagues. Find a good coach and stick with him. When the player turns U17, they can move if they need to to showcase for college coaches and by then will be properly developed.

Novice,

A very nice post and I agree mostly. Teaching technical skills is one of many important aspects of soccer. However there are many others and technical skills are way down the list of what college coaches truly look for. I am not saying that college coaches do not want technically gifted players, it's just not at the top of the list. Not saying that it's a good thing but it is what it is.

While the Academy League theoretically is supposed to be about Developement, it really isn't. From my experince in watching and having a player in Academy League for the last 3 years there is little development occuring directly that was any different than in Classic League and Premier League. Coaches either develop players or they don't. That is up to the personality of the individual coach. Clubs don't develop players, leagues don't develop players. Not directly. Indirectly there is some player developement simply because of the level and speed of the competition. We don't practice any more or less than we did before Academy. However, from my experience 90% of academy teams play a physical long ball game and not a technically gifted game. This is code for the top teams are those that physically beat the s* out of their opponent and try to score on a coutner attack by placing long balls in the box 90% of the game. That is the normal USSF team style of play.

The USSF stated that they would be training the Academy coaches and there would be a focus on Development. This doesn't happen. The coach you had before Academy will be the same coach you have in the Academy and he will coach exactly the same way as he did before. As an example, Texans played long ball before Academy and they can still kick the ball just as far in the Academy. Not trying to pick on the Texans, just using them as an example. The USSF league is set up the same as all other leagues. Win and you get promoted to Regionals and Nationals. Lose and your team/club could be removed from the USSF Academy League. The USSF Academy is all about winning. So in that respect it is no different than any other league. I have yet to see any more development happening in Academy than what was happening before the Academy. FC Dallas may be the exception because of their funding and the ability to access their professional coaches. It's hard to tell with them because they really don't play on an even field with the other clubs since they use some professional players on their teams and the other clubs don't. Take the pro's off of their team and their team would level with the others. An example would be their U16 team. Not trying to pick on FC Dallas either. They want to win just like everyone else. It's all about winning. So they have an advantage, why not use it.

So don't be mislead about anything, the USSF Develpment League and the new US Club Soccer Pre-Academy League is and will be about winning and not player development.

Spot on grinder!

soccerrus2
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 4/8/2011, 6:58 am

almost spot on axegrinder. If your coach sucked beore AL he will suck after it. Still misleading on the fcd "putting" pro's on their academy team. Signing AL kids to their pro team would be more accurate. A better example might have been the old u16 and u18 teams. The current u18 team was always thought to be the more talented than the older group when they were 16. They are 18 now and still more talented as witnessed by several of those players being signed to the pro team.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by soccergrinder 4/8/2011, 7:15 am

go99 wrote:almost spot on axegrinder. If your coach sucked beore AL he will suck after it. Still misleading on the fcd "putting" pro's on their academy team. Signing AL kids to their pro team would be more accurate. A better example might have been the old u16 and u18 teams. The current u18 team was always thought to be the more talented than the older group when they were 16. They are 18 now and still more talented as witnessed by several of those players being signed to the pro team.
Actually, your scenario is the one that is misleading.

A: Were these players AL players last year?
Answer: Yes and no. Most were, one was playing with Real Madrid.

B: Were the players signed to a professional contract prior to the current 2010-2011 Academy soccer year.
Answer: Yes

Ergo they were professional soccer players in which FC Dallas petitioned the Federation to allow them to play in the amatuer Academy.

A question for you. If these were not preofessional players playing in an amatuer league why did FC Dallas feel a need to petition the Academy to let them play?

These are all facts. I have no intent nor do I think I am misleading anyone. I am just quoting the facts as I see them to be. If anything I said was inaccurate them I stand corrected.

soccergrinder
soccergrinder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hookem 4/8/2011, 8:28 am

go99 wrote:so to be clear I am on the development side of the fence. Many around the world argue that the US has some of the best athletes on the soccer field, they just can't play. And what one person calls chosing to play football another calls soccer chosing football for you.

but...the US isn't the 'rest of the world' and it never will be (especially Texas). The US has great atheletes, but they have traditionally chosen other sports to play. Why is this? Because football/basketball/baseball have been played in our schools by kids for over 100 years. 25 years ago soccer in this country was less known than badmitten and water polo. If you would have asked me what soccer was in 1978 I would have said, 'isnt that what that Pele guy plays'. I didnt know a single kid that played soccer until I was in Jr High, and even then it was one kid.

You are correct, not ever kid is rah rah for school sports. However, for the US to accept soccer the sport will 'have' to be played in the schools...for decades. What does this mean now. Well, what it essentially means that the only kids playing high level competitive soccer are kids who's parents have the 'means' to pay for it. School sports for the most part are free and the kids they are playing with are their friends they have known grown up with. The majority of talented atheletes are priced out to begin with. To add, there are baseball fields, basketball courts and football fields on just about every neighborhood corner. That is not the case at all for soccer fields.

We can dream of development this, developement that. The facts are develope for what. The teams with the best players are the teams that win. The coaches that keep their jobs are the coaches that win. Kids play for the now, not for the hope of some distant scholarship to some tiny school on the east coast, or with some fantasy that they will be a striker for Real Madrid or ManU. Because for 99.999% of all kids that play competitive soccer, their competitive soccer days are over when they head off to college. So again I say, develope for what? What does, 'i'm on the developement side' really mean? The kids want to play and win now. Believe this or not, you can develope and win at the same time.
hookem
hookem
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ontherightside 4/8/2011, 8:52 am

Hookem - I agree with most everything you state except - you do know that this is the 32nd Dallas Cup. Soccer has been played in high school in this area for decades and most of us, in this area at least, did know what soccer was back in 1978, in fact all members of my household played.

ontherightside
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ontherightside 4/8/2011, 9:06 am

Well, here it is

http://www.usclubsoccer.org/main.aspx?sec_id=19&guid=6a04a6f1-48cf-4b1e-b20a-ba81e242e27f

ontherightside
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hookem 4/8/2011, 9:12 am

ontherightside wrote:Hookem - I agree with most everything you state except - you do know that this is the 32nd Dallas Cup. Soccer has been played in high school in this area for decades and most of us, in this area at least, did know what soccer was back in 1978, in fact all members of my household played.

LOL! I play soccer now, and have for the last 10 years or so. I played my first soccer game at age 30. However, just about everyone on my team (all of us over 40, and *gasp* some over 50) played for JJ Pearce HS in Richardson. I came up in Richardson also, but on the other side of town. I believe that JJ Pearce and Richardson HS at that time had strong soccer programs (still do I believe) and they created a culture where soccer in that area was very important. I just did not know. When I got into Jr High I met some kids from North who played soccer (my mother taught there). I was surprised and intrigued, kind of how I veiw Lacrosse now. It looked fun as hell, but I did know the sport at all and I was already heavily involved in football and loved it.
hookem
hookem
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibystander 4/8/2011, 9:56 am

go99 wrote:so to be clear I am on the development side of the fence. Many around the world argue that the US has some of the best athletes on the soccer field, they just can't play. And what one person calls chosing to play football another calls soccer chosing football for you.
I agree. It's only here, in the US, that we come up with this ridiculous assessment as to why we are behind. Did you watch that show on Fox last week about Finding a Soccer Star? Or something like that, can't remember. Inter Milan was recruiting one kid to add to their training group. 7,000 kids showed up in the UK for tryouts, and 10 made it through to Italy. Most of the athletic ones didn't go through. Guess they didn't feel athleticism was such a huge criteria?
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by hookem 4/8/2011, 10:15 am

Ibystander wrote:
I agree. It's only here, in the US, that we come up with this ridiculous assessment as to why we are behind. Did you watch that show on Fox last week about Finding a Soccer Star? Or something like that, can't remember. Inter Milan was recruiting one kid to add to their training group. 7,000 kids showed up in the UK for tryouts, and 10 made it through to Italy. Most of the athletic ones didn't go through. Guess they didn't feel athleticism was such a huge criteria?

whatever, what i read was 'blah blah blah bunch of crap bunch of crap'. Seriously..lol..when I watch ACMilan/RealMadrid/ManCity play I think..'man, what a bunch of slow, non-aggressive, non athletic wimps'...not.
hookem
hookem
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by happyfeet 4/8/2011, 10:17 am

ontherightside wrote:Well, here it is

http://www.usclubsoccer.org/main.aspx?sec_id=19&guid=6a04a6f1-48cf-4b1e-b20a-ba81e242e27f

Note that Andromeda is not on this list. If they don't make it, do not expect the USSF to replace them with another club in the Development Academy.
happyfeet
happyfeet
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibystander 4/8/2011, 10:24 am

hookem wrote:
Ibystander wrote:

whatever, what i read was 'blah blah blah bunch of crap bunch of crap'. Seriously..lol..when I watch ACMilan/RealMadrid/ManCity play I think..'man, what a bunch of slow, non-aggressive, non athletic wimps'...not.
Of course they're athletic, but not as athletic as our own top athletes are, right? That's why we're behind... Finish1?
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 4/8/2011, 10:52 am

hookem wrote:
ontherightside wrote:Hookem - I agree with most everything you state except - you do know that this is the 32nd Dallas Cup. Soccer has been played in high school in this area for decades and most of us, in this area at least, did know what soccer was back in 1978, in fact all members of my household played.

LOL! I play soccer now, and have for the last 10 years or so. I played my first soccer game at age 30. However, just about everyone on my team (all of us over 40, and *gasp* some over 50) played for JJ Pearce HS in Richardson. I came up in Richardson also, but on the other side of town. I believe that JJ Pearce and Richardson HS at that time had strong soccer programs (still do I believe) and they created a culture where soccer in that area was very important. I just did not know. When I got into Jr High I met some kids from North who played soccer (my mother taught there). I was surprised and intrigued, kind of how I veiw Lacrosse now. It looked fun as hell, but I did know the sport at all and I was already heavily involved in football and loved it.

This what I find very frustrating. There are alot of parents just like yourselves that played and know the game. I am not directing this at you but casting a broad net out there. My experience over the years is that such parents take their children as fast as the can to professional coaches instead of working with the local association to improve the foundation of the soccer community. In many parts of the country it is done this way; The association developes the coaches and players . The select teams are home grown and a true filtering of the best players to the top. The price is 1/3 to 1/4 of NT prices thus exludes a much smaller segment. Because it is association run many have need, not talent, based scholarships. The communities here that had soccer first are the wealthier school districts and they now are the concentraton of select teams. There are many large well run rec associations in the area but there is no place for the advanced player. The parents of these players are usually the more knowledgeable and leave too. This makes top level competition in in soccer a mostly upper middle class opportunity. Until the upper echelon of youth soccer is community based and available to all, we will not get the best players out there into the sport.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 4/8/2011, 10:58 am

It's not the athlete thats the problem it's his development. To agree with hookem I will say show me a kid who doesn't "want" to win and I will show you a kid who will not make it in sports. There is a difference between "wanting" to win and being put in a situation in which you "must" win. It is very difficult to develope a player in which winning is the total sum game. Welcome to CL. You can say possesion and passing all you want but the kid knows that he must win this game if he plans to rise to the next division or keep from falling. This is what leads to big, fast, kick it, smash mouth soccer that we have here. It wins in youth soccer and nothing will change that. There is no div1, no relegation, no consequence or reward for the wins and losses in AL unless the clubs make it that way. It is an enviornment that they can tell the kids play the ball out of the back, keep passing to hold possesion, beat your man 1v1, even when these things don't work. The kid at Ajax knows he will not be cut because his team didn't win. He knows that he will be cut because he fails to play the way they ask. He fails to keep up his development as a player. It shifts his focus from winning to development. Make no mistake, he wants to win just as much as kids here just his consequence isn't tied into it. The AL is an attempt, and it allows those with no interest in development to continue to play at a high level (CL). Everybody should be happy and estatic about the opportunities. Now lets all sit back and watch the clubs F**k it up. but thats a whole other topic
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 4/8/2011, 11:04 am

oops and as for axegrinder you keep suggesting FCD is stacking it's academy team with pro players so they can win AL. For what, what does that give you? They are signing academy kids to the pro team so that they can sell them thats it. Anyone still playing with the AL team is doing so for minutes. I would expect the new reserve league to alleviate some of that. The reality is FCD had some players under the old rules that they could not sign that then left and went to south america. One of those players just had a multi million dollar tranfer offer to europe that FCD will get non of because he was not a signed player. So yes it make suck for you that you lose to kids the same age as you but it is not FCD's focus to rob you of greater glory.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by THE NEEDLE 4/8/2011, 11:52 am

soccergrinder wrote:

Novice,

Excellent post. The primary benefits of the USSF academy league are more convenient scouting for college coaches and an increased level of competition for teams in areas of the country where there was not a strong local or regional league. Players here in North Texas have benefited, but not as much as those in other parts of the country.

The USSF academy selling points were; focus on development, extra practices, better coaching, better soccer, and more meaningful games. Most of that has proven to be BS.
THE NEEDLE
THE NEEDLE
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccernovice 4/8/2011, 6:57 pm

The Needle, Soccergrinder, Soccernovice, and Soccerrus all aligned on the development topic. I know there is a ton of youth club/academy soccer experience as parents amoungst these posters from pre-select to older age groups.

Soccernovice
Soccernovice
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccergrinder 4/8/2011, 8:03 pm

go99 wrote:"it make suck for you"
You got me there. I mean, who could argue with that?

soccergrinder
soccergrinder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 4/8/2011, 10:35 pm

lol Spell check on aisle 7, but guess it wouldn't have caught that one anyway. I actually agree with you but for different reasons. Now that the reserve league is up and running I think those players should get their minutes there except at international showcase events which I think it would be important to show your wares. Get them out of the AL team so the other kids on the team can pick up the aditional minutes and possible open more spots for other kids to join.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by NTskeptic 5/25/2011, 11:03 pm

Go 99; you are absolutely right. There are players that should not be playing academy. There are college players that come back and play at Disney. They had their chance; got their scholarship; no make the most of that and quit living in the past.
NTskeptic
NTskeptic
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccergrinder 6/30/2011, 9:38 am

THE NEEDLE wrote:
soccergrinder wrote:

Novice,

Excellent post. The primary benefits of the USSF academy league are more convenient scouting for college coaches and an increased level of competition for teams in areas of the country where there was not a strong local or regional league. Players here in North Texas have benefited, but not as much as those in other parts of the country.

The USSF academy selling points were; focus on development, extra practices, better coaching, better soccer, and more meaningful games. Most of that has proven to be BS.

Based on this years Spring Showcase I would like to add an addendum to my previous post. This year the Federation merged the Spring Showcase with the Regionals. This was an awesome step towards including all teams in the Regionals event. A small but important step towards development while still rewarding those fortunate enough to have made the playoffs. This allowed college coaches to attend the Regionals and still recruit from the teams that did not make the playoffs. Without a schedule you couldn't tell which game was a Regional game and which one was a Showcase game. Coaches could walk from one to the other and see everyone they were interested in. Coaches could go to one event instead of having to choose between the two. However, in my book, they made it very difficult for the coaches. They used a playoff format for the Showcase teams which meant that every game, except for the first one, was not posted until the night before the game. So coaches could not plan out their recruiting process until the last minute. College coaches need advanced information so they can make it to as many games as possible to see the kids they are interested in. By waiting to the last possible minute to schedule games this left coaches scurrying to see all of the boys they needed to scout. But the event was a huge success, for example we were not in the playoffs but we had 70 coaches at our first game. Very nice indeed.

soccergrinder
soccergrinder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedi Mind Tricks 7/12/2011, 4:59 pm

Just trying to sort out the new structure of the academy and pre-ac, and how this might affect the existing CL. From what I am understanding, academy league and classic league are separate and competing entities with conflicting rules that are independent of each other.

I understand that classic league does not restrict kids from playing in classic, and academy. However, a kid that is playing in an academy league team is not supposed to play on a classic league team and an academy league at the same time by academy rules.

Pre-academy kids are allowed to simultaneously play in the pre-academy games and classic league games, as well as being called up to play in academy league games? So, if you are under the banner of "pre-academy", does this waive the academy league requirement that disallows the academy players from playing simultaneously playing in classic league? And, I guess if a player decides to switch from academy to classic league from week to week can he do so? That would allow teams to evade rule restrictions, and may be how some are planning to play in multiple leagues at the same time.

And, undoubtedly, some players in both league structures are going to at some time be unhappy with their current team. I guess nothing stops a kid from quitting one league to join another midyear? Is that right? You have the potential to be raiding the oppositions players via a midyear league switch, correct?

I hope someone can clarify, but as others have explained to me, this all has the great potential of getting very messy.

Jedi Mind Tricks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NTskeptic 7/12/2011, 5:05 pm

The classic league and the academy league both have deadlines to add players and I believe I heard that the Academy League moved theirs back to Jan 1. Also if you play CL you can still play High School however if you play Academy you cannot play high school. The Academy website had that rules change recently.
NTskeptic
NTskeptic
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Little Blue 7/12/2011, 6:39 pm

NT Skeptic- where does the academy website state that Academy players can't play high school soccer ? I keep hearing this but the USSF site says something different.

If you go to the Academy website & click on overview it says there are two outside activities allowed outside academy & they are National team duty & high school with no permission needed.

Little Blue
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by NTskeptic 7/12/2011, 7:02 pm

Little Blue They made the announcement back in May. I cut and pasted the article for all to read. Also they already have the schedules for next year on the website which shows games weekly through the High School season.

Northwest and Texas Divisions Latest to Commit to 10-Month Development Academy Season
When teams from Texas joined the Development Academy for the 2008-09 season, a year after the program began in other parts of the country, the clubs were excited to take part in one of the biggest player development movements in history.

Share Print Subscribe to RSS Email This
May 11, 2011

© DON FERIA/© 2009 DON FERIA
IN THE IMAGE: PHOENIX, AZ--US Soccer Development Academy, Reach 11 Sports Complex, Phoenix, AZ. PHOTO BY DON FERIA
When teams from Texas joined the Development Academy for the 2008-09 season, a year after the program began in other parts of the country, the clubs were excited to take part in one of the biggest player development movements in history.

After watching the program from the outside for a year and preparing for his club’s own debut season, Texans SC Houston Director of Coaching Scott James saw the benefits of the Academy, but also the potential to expand its impact on players in the U.S. With the Texas Division entering its fourth season in the program in 2011-12, the clubs, along with all the clubs in the Northwest and SoCal, have come together to raise the bar for their player development.

The three conferences have decided to expand their seasons from the current schedule, which breaks for high school, to a full 10-month schedule.

The concept of the extended season, which allows for more training and for games to be played on single-fixture weekends, had been discussed in the past, but the decision by clubs in Southern California to move in that direction gave it new life.

“Here in Texas we have been playing from September through December, taking three and a half months away from each other and then we have to cram nine to 12 games into a two-month span,” explained James. “We didn’t have to be sold on moving to single-game weekends or having more training sessions. It was a no brainer for us to move in that direction.”

The move supports an improved player development model in which players can train together three to four times per week and play one game on the weekend nearly year-round. Having mostly single-fixture weekends instead two games in two days will allow adequate preparation and rest for the players.

Technical Advisors at U.S. Soccer have welcomed the idea of the extended Academy season for clubs in the Northwest and Texas.

“We are very excited that now two more divisions of the Development Academy have decided to move to a 10-month season,” said Director of Scouting & Technical Advisor Tony Lepore. “This will help to optimize the development of the elite players from these clubs. Our technical staff will provide them with full support as we feel it is a very positive step towards improving their overall match and training environment.”

Scott James agreed, recognizing the importance of training for player development.

“It allows us to potentially add an extra session per week, going from three times per week to four,” Scott James explained. “We may have up to 40 extra training sessions per season, which can only enhance player development and is just tremendous in my eyes.”

In the Northwest, some clubs had already experimented with a longer season, but with every club now on board, the schedule can be more defined and consistent. What has never been in question, according to Crossfire Premier Director of Coaching Bernie James, is that this model will benefit the elite players in the Development Academy program.

“It’s pretty simple really,” said Bernie James. “If you practice and play with better players, you are going to be challenged more and, in turn, you’ll get better. Losing such a big piece of our time together, three to four months really, to the high school season was difficult in keeping continuity for the players and for our team. If you’re talking about the top kids in the area, which the Academy teams are now, playing with other teams and competitions just doesn’t work as well for them from a player development standpoint.”

In the Northwest and Texas, the process of putting together the 10-month season was similar. All of the clubs agreed that moving to the year-round schedule would benefit their players, it was mostly a matter of figuring out the logistics.

“I think at some point in the near future this model will be picked up by with other areas of the country,” said Scott James. “If you’re involved in the Development Academy, you can’t really put too much of an argument against this model."

As other parts of the country explore ways to raise the player development bar even higher, almost half of the 78 current Academy teams are looking into longer seasons and other options that optimize the environment for the players.

“We’re very excited about the way that clubs in different parts of the country are coming together to raise their standard even higher,” said Lepore. “We are looking forward to working with the other clubs and divisions to decide whether a longer season, or maybe other ideas that will be brought to the table, make sense.”