Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

02 to select Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

02 to select

+16
God's Son
wembleys
soccermom97b
TexasSoccer02
newparent
Ibystander
Rightback
bigtex75081
svitmom7
madisonmyers
Durty-Tackle
Soccer2001
OnestrikeOnegoal
jkspinks
omega striker
copa44
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

02 to select Empty 02 to select

Post by copa44 2/29/2012, 2:40 pm

I have an 02 BB who will be moving to select in July. Our manager has been trying to get some timelines from the club so the parents can plan vacations, but it's like pulling teeth and can't get a straight answer. At this point we don't really have much information available and you know what happens in the absence of facts - speculation!! I have never done this before, so my questions might be pretty basic, but I'm hoping all you select veterans can help me out Very Happy

What is the process for going select?

What is the difference between qualifying tournaments and seeding tournaments?

When are the qualifying tournaments?

When are the seeding tournaments?

What can we expect from the whole academy to select process? What questions should we ask our club? What questions should we ask our coach? What tips can you give me to get the most out of this?

Thank you all, this newbie really appreciates your help!!

copa44
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

02 to select Empty Re: 02 to select

Post by omega striker 2/29/2012, 3:49 pm

MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!!!!! cheers
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by jkspinks 2/29/2012, 3:57 pm

Tryouts will happen the first few days of July. You will then be either asked to join the team, or not. Once you are officially on the team then you will start doing all the paperwork, payment plans, uniform ordering, etc. Money, and lots of it. In August you will probably participate in the Classic League qualifyint tournament. If you don't make it into Classic, then you would probably play in the tournaments for Plano or Arlington which are after the Classic tournament.

Main differences between Academy & Select are;
Commitment Level - It goes way up. You are locked in for a year due to the contract.
Money - At a big club I would expect to spend $3k for a year of Select soccer.

Is the club you are with one of the big ones or a smaller club?

jkspinks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by copa44 2/29/2012, 4:02 pm

jkspinks wrote:
Is the club you are with one of the big ones or a smaller club?

It's a bigger club, so I know it's going to be in the $3k range, but we are not one of the premier teams. Coach has already said he plans to take most of the team with him to select, so tryouts will most likely be to fill any open spots if we have kids who can't afford it. 11 of the 16 boys have been together for 2+ years, so I doubt we'll have many dropping off at this point. Coach isn't the type to try and stack the team and keep kids who won't get any play time, we've been turning away kids for a couple months now because he want so make sure all the boys get field time.

copa44
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/29/2012, 4:13 pm

Not to highjack your thread too much, but I also was wondering about the payments for the select fees. Do most clubs require you to pay the 3K or so all at one time or do they do it over the whole year? If at one time, that is OK, but I would prefer to know before I have to cut the check.

Back to top Go down

Post by OnestrikeOnegoal 2/29/2012, 4:26 pm

Usually Uniforms cost of $350 up front and $500.00 down for the year. Then starting in Sept. first payment of about $250 every month untill paid off. I think the big clubs get to help two players with half the dues (scholarships).
OnestrikeOnegoal
OnestrikeOnegoal
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer2001 2/29/2012, 10:22 pm

My advice coming from a first year classic parent is DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! If your guts telling you to run then run. If you have a question ask it. If you have doubts they are probably true. Do I sound bitter? Nope, just had a whirlwind of a year so far. Keep it fun and avoid as much politicking as possible. It can get ugly. It cost about $2400 in fees plus $500 in uniform stuff then all the tournament costs then paying for Coachs travel then practice fields fees then okay I will stop there Smile

Soccer2001
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Durty-Tackle 3/1/2012, 2:14 pm

Depends on the club. Some clubs have tryouts, some don't.

The seeding tournaments take place toward the end of July. The purpose of the tournament is to rank you with other top teams. A good result will end up giving your team a better seed. You want to have a top 10 seed because it makes things easier in the qualifying tourney. If your team is really, really good....your coach may not need to participate in the seeding tournament. (ie: 01 Solar Red)

People say the 2 main seeding tourneys are Puma and King Tut. But I think they use other tournament results as well.

Once you are seeded, you get to play in the Qualifying Tournament. Depending on how your team finishes, the top 20 teams will be considered Division 1. 21 -30 will be considered D2

Usually the first week of August. If you dont qualify the first week, then you have to come back next week. Unless you finish last in your bracket...then you dont come back.

What can we expect from the whole academy to select process? What questions should we ask our club? What questions should we ask our coach? What tips can you give me to get the most out of this?

How much will this cost - They usually don't tell you, but here's a good ballpark.
(does not include uniform kits or other fees like tournaments..etc.)
- FC Dallas $2,400+
- Odyssey $2,100+
- Texans $2,200+
- TFC $2,400+
- Solar - $2,800+
- Livepool $2,230+
- Andromeda FC $2,525+
- FC Premier around $1500-$1900 for your first year depending on the division and team size.

Who is going to coach this team? Some teams have different coaches for different age groups.

How many on the roster?
If its 18, that is a bad answer.....I would not do it.

Where are we going to play if we don't make classic?
Plano or Arlington?

Does your kid like the team? If not, he will hate the team in select. All the pressure is multiplied and it usually brings out the bad.

Does your kid like the coach? If not, he will hate the coach even more in select.

Is your kid decent? Be honest and save yourself a lot of time and money. Some kids are not that good. They may be beter off in rec. having fun. It's not fun to be on the bench and not have any playtime.

How does your team rank? Parents are always making a Newer and Better TOP 10 LIST That's Better Than Last Weeks Top 10 List Are you going to be freaked out if you don't make D1 or D2?

Parents are usually pretty close. If your team is not on the top 20 list, that might be a strong clue where your team stands competitively. That's not always the case, but its about 80% right.

Do you like the other parents? Because you are going to be spending a lot of time with them. Being around a bunch of jerks is never fun.

Once you go select, you vacation when they say you can vacation.

Just be careful if the coach says, "We'll be in Classic League next year." He can't promise that. There's always an upset every year.

Is your boy learning anything new? How are his skills. Does he say..."Dad, look what I learned today?" Some kids will not be prepared later (U-15) if your coach is trying to coach for wins as opposed for coaching for development.

Just make sure he really likes soccer, because whether you realize or not....pre-select is probably the funnest time soccer will ever be for you and your boy.

copa44 wrote:I have an 02 BB who will be moving to select in July. Our manager has been trying to get some timelines from the club so the parents can plan vacations, but it's like pulling teeth and can't get a straight answer. At this point we don't really have much information available and you know what happens in the absence of facts - speculation!! I have never done this before, so my questions might be pretty basic, but I'm hoping all you select veterans can help me out Very Happy

When are the qualifying tournaments?

Thank you all, this newbie really appreciates your help!!

Last edited by Durty-Tackle on 3/2/2012, 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Durty-Tackle
Durty-Tackle
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by madisonmyers 3/1/2012, 2:50 pm

What do you mean if its 18, I would not do it. Why is it a bad answer? I think I know what you're going to say, but not sure.
madisonmyers
madisonmyers
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/1/2012, 2:56 pm

"What do you mean if its 18, I would not do it. Why is it a bad answer? I think I know what you're going to say, but not sure."

it means too many mouths to feed. some kids will barely play and the coach is stuffing his pockets.......

Back to top Go down

Post by svitmom7 3/1/2012, 3:08 pm

If some of the teams you are interested in (or the current one your bb is with), have older select teams w/ the same coach....I would highly suggest going to some games and observing the team & coach at the select level. Talk w/ some of the sideline parents. You will get all the answers you need both good and bad. If they are pleased, they will tell you. If they are displeased, they will definitely tell you. You may find out more than you ever wanted to know, but you will get most of your answers.

svitmom7
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 3/1/2012, 3:28 pm

svitmom7 wrote:If some of the teams you are interested in (or the current one your bb is with), have older select teams w/ the same coach....I would highly suggest going to some games and observing the team & coach at the select level. Talk w/ some of the sideline parents. You will get all the answers you need both good and bad. If they are pleased, they will tell you. If they are displeased, they will definitely tell you. You may find out more than you ever wanted to know, but you will get most of your answers.
This is really good advice. The best research I ever accomplished on a coach that I was considering happened when I watched a game in the Qualifying Tournament.

Watch the game and watch how the coach interacts with the players. Try to pick out a boy that's struggling or not playing particularly well. Then watch how the coach interacts with that player. Is it how you'd want your child treated?
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Rightback 3/1/2012, 5:11 pm

Agree with most posts - first year is the hardest due to qualifying tournament...fees are about right.

For me - find a coach you will not be ashamed of...and make sure you like the parents...you will be spending a lot of time with them. Max roster at this age is 16 as i recall...but find a coach who has a playtime approach you can live with. I have found no playtime for my kid is fine if there is equity. Most coaches struggle with favorites...and then parental resentments simmer. Most of all remember your kid is young and there is a lot more time and more important things...this should be fun and rewarding.

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by svitmom7 3/1/2012, 6:18 pm

Coaches will most all say 16, just know that more times that not, it equates to 18 shortly after signing. So look more at the coach &/or team than that #. A common topic amoung 1st year parents is: "I was promised 16 & we ended up w/ 18 by the first game". Look at all the other factors as well.

svitmom7
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by madisonmyers 3/1/2012, 8:37 pm

My thought is: the team you play with in academy might be very different than the team that actually goes select. Reason why I am not upset with 18 player roster now is because there will be a set of kids that will drop out because they can't afford it. Others will scatter for one reason or another. I don't know about 18 on the final roster though.
madisonmyers
madisonmyers
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibystander 3/1/2012, 9:20 pm

madisonmyers wrote:My thought is: the team you play with in academy might be very different than the team that actually goes select. Reason why I am not upset with 18 player roster now is because there will be a set of kids that will drop out because they can't afford it. Others will scatter for one reason or another. I don't know about 18 on the final roster though.
Are you a newbie or what? The most likely scenario is that you are promised 16, then you end up with 18. Kids will scatter, but don't worry, the coach will fill those slots, for developmental reasons, of course!
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by madisonmyers 3/1/2012, 10:00 pm

Newbie? Probably. I'm not offended by that. I know half of what coaches tell you is b.s. Just to get you to join/stay/pay. But expecting your kid to play 75% of the time is just as crazy.
madisonmyers
madisonmyers
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by newparent 3/2/2012, 9:20 am

madisonmyers wrote:But expecting your kid to play 75% of the time is just as crazy.

75% isn't crazy. Typically (but not always), If you look at the top group of teams you'll see there are about 5 players that play every minute of every game. Yes, every minute of every game.

You'll then find a couple that play 75-85%.

You'll then find a couple that play 50%.

And then there are a few that will play 10-20%. They will sub in at the end of each half and rotate around through the various positions to give the other groups mentioned above a break.

However, if the game is close this 10-20% and the 50% group will see their time drop as once you go select it's about winning for almost every coach out there. Your team can get relegated out of the league if you don't win.

So, 75% isn't crazy....it's the reality unless you're at the bottom of the roster.

So, the 1st thing parents need to understand is where their child ranks on the roster. If you're at the bottom then understand your son's playing time will be very limited. It's select, I don't agree with it but that's the deal.

If you're OK with it then great. If not, then don't sign with that team and move to a team that better fits you're son's ability. You're the customer and what are you playing $3000 a year for? Do that for 3 years and you're looking at almost $10 Grand to have your son sit the bench? Now that's crazy....IMO.

IMO: You never want to be at the bottom of the roster as someone shows up on June 30th to join the team and you're son is out. Hasn't happened to me because I play my son at a level where he can play the majority of the game, i.e. 75%,85%,100% (which might mean playing at a lower level) but I've seen it happen and you feel really bad for the kid that gets cut or rides the pine.

Tip: Ignore the divisions and rankings and such and look for quality coaching (a must) where your son will play the vast majority of the game (a must). If you don't have both of these (coaching and playing time) then get ready for a really long YEAR.

OK, feel free to call me names and rip me for expressing my opinion. affraid

newparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/2/2012, 9:26 am

newparent wrote:
madisonmyers wrote:But expecting your kid to play 75% of the time is just as crazy.

75% isn't crazy. Typically (but not always), If you look at the top group of teams you'll see there are about 5 players that play every minute of every game. Yes, every minute of every game.

And then there are a few that will play 10-20%. They will sub in at the end of each half and rotate around through the various positions to give the other groups mentioned above a break.

However, if the game is close this 10-20% and the 50% group will see their time drop as once you go select it's about winning for almost every coach out there. Your team can get relegated out of the league if you don't win.

So, 75% isn't crazy....it's the reality unless you're at the bottom of the roster.

So, the 1st thing parents need to understand is where their child ranks on the roster. If you're at the bottom then understand your son's playing time will be very limited. It's select, I don't agree with it but that's the deal.

If you're OK with it then great. If not, then don't sign with that team and move to a team that better fits you're son's ability. You're the customer and what are you playing $3000 a year for? Do that for 3 years and you're looking at almost $10 Grand to have your son sit the bench? Now that's crazy....IMO.

IMO: You never want to be at the bottom of the roster as someone shows up on June 30th to join the team and you're son is out. Hasn't happened to me because I play my son at a level where he can play the majority of the game, i.e. 75%,85%,100% (which might mean playing at a lower level) but I've seen it happen and you feel really bad for the kid that gets cut or rides the pine.

Tip: Ignore the divisions and rankings and such and look for quality coaching (a must) where your son will play the vast majority of the game (a must). If you don't have both of these (coaching and playing time) then get ready for a really long YEAR.

Even though I have not had a kid go through it yet,( not for a few years yet) my thoughts echo what you wrote. I plan to find a team where my kid is one that plays 90%-100% of the game. I don't care if that is Classic league, D2 or D3 or Plano D2. I don't think you can learn by sitting on the bench. The only issue will be if the cost is still a D1 price, then we may have to rethinnk things.

I think yours is straght forward, good advice.

Back to top Go down

Post by newparent 3/2/2012, 10:03 am

Running wrote:
newparent wrote:

Even though I have not had a kid go through it yet,( not for a few years yet) my thoughts echo what you wrote. I plan to find a team where my kid is one that plays 90%-100% of the game. I don't care if that is Classic league, D2 or D3 or Plano D2. I don't think you can learn by sitting on the bench. The only issue will be if the cost is still a D1 price, then we may have to rethinnk things.

I think yours is straght forward, good advice.

Price doesn't change as you pay that BEFORE you know the league or level. Everyone pays D1 price - yes, even Plano 2. That's a different rant.

newparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Durty-Tackle 3/2/2012, 10:56 am

svitmom7 wrote:If some of the teams you are interested in (or the current one your bb is with), have older select teams w/ the same coach....I would highly suggest going to some games and observing the team & coach at the select level. Talk w/ some of the sideline parents. You will get all the answers you need both good and bad. If they are pleased, they will tell you. If they are displeased, they will definitely tell you. You may find out more than you ever wanted to know, but you will get most of your answers.

That is good advice. Just don't talk to the team manager...they can be biased.

Beware of the screaming coach. That can really kill a child's self esteem and love for the game. Want an example?

Go watch an 01 Titan game.

Go watch an 01 DT Craft game.

Go watch an 00 Odyssey game

I heard a 00 Marcio L parent complaining about Marcio dropping F bombs around the kids. Not sure how FCD can condone that behavior.

I am not sure how the parent's can live with themselves putting their child through that.

It's really sad. Just because it's select, doesn't mean you have to act that way.

Want some class act coaching examples for your 02's? Great at skill development and cool headed coaching.

DT - P. Wolf
FCD - P. Gomez
FCD - J. Waters
Andro - M. Uremovich
TFC - R. Angell

Durty-Tackle
Durty-Tackle
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

02 to select Empty add to list

Post by TexasSoccer02 3/2/2012, 11:19 am

Renner, Doug
Nipper (Classy): I saw the kids shake his hand after a game.
Goncalves (strong Christian)

TexasSoccer02
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccermom97b 3/2/2012, 11:43 am

Running wrote:Not to highjack your thread too much, but I also was wondering about the payments for the select fees. Do most clubs require you to pay the 3K or so all at one time or do they do it over the whole year? If at one time, that is OK, but I would prefer to know before I have to cut the check.

My experience with this is that they all do it differently...but most common options are the first 3:

- Pay in full plus uniform
- Make 2 equal payments of half of dues plus uniform in July
- Make 3 equal payments in July, September, November
- Split the amount evenly per month through March, april or May

Most want fees paid in full before the opportunity for players to jump ship in December...this is the first timeframe that NTX fairly willingly signs transfers/releases

July is always where the biggest check is written...initial down payment for whatever plan you're on plus uniform
soccermom97b
soccermom97b
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by wembleys 3/2/2012, 12:29 pm

[quote="Durty-Tackle"]
svitmom7 wrote:

Beware of the screaming coach. That can really kill a child's self esteem and love for the game. Want an example?

Go watch an 01 Titan game.
Go watch an 01 DT Craft game.
Go watch an 00 Odyssey game

I heard a 00 Marcio L parent complaining about Marcio dropping F bombs around the kids. Not sure how FCD can condone that behavior.

Same with 01 Titans; NTX had to release some bb's alleging the same behavior from coach Sampaio. Best thing you can do is go with your bb and see a couple of games and practices...
wembleys
wembleys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by God's Son 3/2/2012, 1:53 pm

TexasSoccer02 wrote:Renner, Doug
Nipper (Classy): I saw the kids shake his hand after a game.
Goncalves (strong Christian)
Nipper already has a team? Where do they play?

God's Son
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next