Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS?

+8
Enjoy life now!
debit
Club/HSparent
finish1
mpcls55
Soccerinsanity
Rightback
soccerdadrandy
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS? Empty COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS?

Post by soccerdadrandy 10/15/2014, 1:43 pm

why do people on the forum continuously bash parents for chasing soccer scholarships? my son would play if there were no trophies or chance of scholarship. buy the hype? no, parents pay big bucks for higher levels of competition lol bounce bounce
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS? Empty Re: COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS?

Post by Rightback 10/15/2014, 7:22 pm

Because the prestigious universities, by and large, don't have soccer programs, division 1 scholarships are limited to 9.9 for the entire program, and there is life after soccer.

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 10/15/2014, 8:30 pm

Rightback wrote:Because the prestigious universities, by and large, don't have soccer programs, division 1 scholarships are limited to 9.9 for the entire program, and there is life after soccer.

as i said "my son would play if there were no trophies or chance of scholarship" its his passion bounce bounce
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 10/15/2014, 10:54 pm

Rightback, what do you consider "prestigious?"
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by mpcls55 10/16/2014, 7:52 am

It is pretty sad IMO that N.Tx is such a haven for boys soccer, yet outside of SMU, there really aren't any boys soccer programs at the collegiate level.

Must be decisions made by some of the same local school districts who require all boys in athletics to play football, whether on the A, B or C teams. It's the most ridiculous thing I've seen.

mpcls55
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 10/16/2014, 8:23 am

We are surrounded by soccer programs at the collegiate level. SMU is the only D1 school in Texas. The next closest D1 is Tulsa.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 10/16/2014, 8:39 am

SMU is not the only D1 program in Texas. HBU (Houston Baptist) and IWU (Incarnate Word) have mens D1 soccer programs with more schools to be added in the future from what I am hearing.

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mpcls55 10/16/2014, 8:41 am

Club/HSparent wrote:SMU is not the only D1 program in Texas. HBU (Houston Baptist) and IWU (Incarnate Word) have mens D1 soccer programs with more schools to be added in the future from what I am hearing.

Thank you for sharing that. At least there is a glimmer of hope! For us, if it keeps him focused and out of trouble through HS, it was worth the expense.

mpcls55
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 10/16/2014, 8:43 am

And don't forget UCA (University of Central Arkansas) and ORU (Oral Roberts in Tulsa)...Majority are only going to recruit DA players. That said, if you're not a DA player; it's gonna be tough to get noticed.

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by debit 10/16/2014, 9:33 am

Rightback wrote:Because the prestigious universities, by and large, don't have soccer programs...

Glancing at the 'prestigious' universities, most of them do have men's soccer programs. Here are the top 25 (technically 26 due to a tie) national universities according to US News and World Report in their annual college rankings. 23 of the 26 have an inter-collegiate men's soccer program. Many of them probably don't offer scholarships. Some of them are in D3, and in fact, looking at the soccer page of Carnegie Mellon's athletics program shows a local kid having scored the game winner and being named conference player of the week.

I grew up in ACC country where most schools had men's soccer (and excelled at it) and my wife grew up in Cali where most schools had men's soccer (and excelled at it) so I'm kind of expecting my kids to move far away for college and find something that will fit their academic abilities and if they choose to pursue it, their athletic abilities as well.

I would be quite proud of my son for attending any of these universities and playing soccer whether on scholarship or not (though hopefully he'd have some academic scholarship or dad's going to need a second job).

Prestigious Universities with Men's Soccer
Princeton
Harvard
Yale
Columbia
Stanford
U of Chicago
MIT
Duke
U of Pennsylvania
Cal Tech
Dartmouth
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern
Washington U in St Louis
Cornell
Brown
Notre Dame
Cal Berkeley
Emory
Georgetown
UCLA
Virginia
Carnegie Mellon

Prestigious Universities without Men's Soccer
Vanderbilt (not surprising since they're in the SEC)
Rice (not surprising since they're in Texas)
USC (maybe your son can switch to men's water polo)

debit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 10/16/2014, 9:38 am

From my understanding although they have a mens soccer program and a couple compete very well; no IVY league school offer athletic money for soccer.

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 10/16/2014, 9:40 am

soccerdadrandy wrote:why do people on the forum continuously bash parents for chasing soccer scholarships? my son would play if there were no trophies or chance of scholarship. buy the hype? no, parents pay big bucks for higher levels of competition lol bounce bounce

IMHO; no parent should be bashed for chasing soccer scholarships for their BB. That said, most parents need to be realistic in regards to their BB play D1 soccer.

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 10/16/2014, 12:26 pm

Club/HSparent wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:why do people on the forum continuously bash parents for chasing soccer scholarships? my son would play if there were no trophies or chance of scholarship. buy the hype? no, parents pay big bucks for higher levels of competition lol bounce bounce

IMHO; no parent should be bashed for chasing soccer scholarships for their BB. That said, most parents need to be realistic in regards to their BB play D1 soccer.

well stated C/HSP but where is the proof that "most" aren't realistic in regards to their BB.
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 10/16/2014, 1:39 pm

soccerdadrandy wrote:
Club/HSparent wrote:

well stated C/HSP but where is the proof that "most" aren't realistic in regards to their BB.

From my experience talking to parents (and I used to be one myself) many believe that just because their BB is playing CL
D1 and their respective team is in the top tier of D1; they SHOULD have the chance to play D1 college ball. That's not being realistic in my eyes. Us as parents should let chips fall where they may and let the BB's enjoy this game and quit roaming the sidelines looking for D1 scouts @ games and/or showcases. Just saying.

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 10/16/2014, 1:42 pm

Roaming the sidelines in search of scouts is their duty lol. Doesn't mean they are delusional IMHO
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 10/16/2014, 1:52 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol!
soccerdadrandy wrote:Roaming the sidelines in search of scouts is their duty lol. Doesn't mean they are delusional IMHO  

Roaming the sideline like a rabied dog will make any parent look delusional... Very Happy

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 10/16/2014, 1:56 pm

Club/HSparent wrote:lol! lol! lol! lol!
soccerdadrandy wrote:Roaming the sidelines in search of scouts is their duty lol. Doesn't mean they are delusional IMHO  

Roaming the sideline like a rabied dog will make any parent look delusional... Very Happy

Lol I haven't witnessed this YET my BB is just now 14
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Enjoy life now! 10/16/2014, 2:19 pm

If within the first 15 minutes of the match you don't recognize the delusional parent, you are the delusional parent. lol!

Enjoy life now!
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 10/16/2014, 2:21 pm

Now that's funny Smile
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Bboys 10/16/2014, 2:24 pm

Its all about money. The NCAA decides how many scholarships each sport receives and the schools have to balance women's sports (Title IX) without football and wrestling as an option for them. Football receives 85 Scholarships, compared to 9 in soccer nationwide. That's even in states where soccer popularity may be just as high as football. The lowest % states that have D1 soccer schools - Louisiana 0%, Texas 10%, Alabama 11%, Tennessee 33%, Georgia 43%. What do all those states have in common? Old school brains and football, football, football! Until that good o'l boy mentality goes away, I would not hold your breath for Soccer.

Bboys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 10/16/2014, 2:26 pm

My son plays because he loves the game of soccer. Not for a scholarship lol
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 10/16/2014, 2:29 pm

You have parents that think playing HS soccer is good for the BB in regards to getting exposure...NOW THAT'S DELUSIONAL!!!

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Bboys 10/16/2014, 2:39 pm

Agreed, my sons (3) play because the like the game. They are also good scholar athletes, so a great GPA will do more for them. That being said, a partial scholarship playing the game they love would be a bonus. Kids play high school soccer to have fun with their friends and impress the 3 girls that watch from the stands. Laughing

Bboys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by rdg 10/16/2014, 8:59 pm

Bboys wrote:Agreed, my sons (3) play because the like the game. They are also good scholar athletes, so a great GPA will do more for them.  That being said, a partial scholarship playing the game they love would be a bonus. Kids play high school soccer to have fun with their friends and impress the 3 girls that watch from the stands. Laughing  

Exactly right. Very few scholarships available for soccer that are not also tied to academics.
FYI the service academies are pretty prestigious, have D1 soccer and all students chosen are on 100% scholarship(sort of).
rdg
rdg
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 10/17/2014, 10:52 am

Club/HSparent wrote:From my understanding although they have a mens soccer program and a couple compete very well; no IVY league school offer athletic money for soccer.

Because they offer academic scholarships to their players! Most do it for all their sports this way, not just soccer.
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next