Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Scholarships& Fundraising? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Scholarships& Fundraising?

+9
Blitzed
Armadillo
madridistas04
rdg
my2cents
go99
TxHunter
clueless
Fabiano9
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scholarships& Fundraising? Empty Scholarships& Fundraising?

Post by Fabiano9 10/27/2009, 1:47 pm

When a coach gives a scholarship(s), is that money that he then eats or are the other parents responsible for participating in scam fundraising schemes in order to make up that difference that the coach is not receiving? Scholarships& Fundraising? Icon_evil
I always thought the purpose of fundraising was to help parents raise money for their kids, not the coach.
Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Fabiano9
Fabiano9
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Scholarships& Fundraising? Empty Re: Scholarships& Fundraising?

Post by clueless 10/27/2009, 1:54 pm

Fabiano9 wrote:When a coach gives a scholarship(s), is that money that he then eats or are the other parents responsible for participating in scam fundraising schemes in order to make up that difference that the coach is not receiving? Scholarships& Fundraising? Icon_evil
I always thought the purpose of fundraising was to help parents raise money for their kids, not the coach.
Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Totally depends on the coach/team/club. I'm curious why you wouldn't state raise money for the team, not the coach?
It's a team game, without the scholarships, the team would be different, right? In your fact sheet, you should have known about the makeup, potential scholarships and potential fundraising.
I do believe that clubs not providing any financial assistance would likely take out the shortage from the coaching pay (that would seem to make sense). I wouldn't think this would be a shock to anyone.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabiano9 10/27/2009, 2:02 pm

I was always under the impression that if a coach gave a scholarship then that was money out of his pocket.
Is that not the case? Or is it the other parents responsibility to make up that difference?
Fabiano9
Fabiano9
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 10/27/2009, 2:39 pm

Fabiano9 wrote:I was always under the impression that if a coach gave a scholarship then that was money out of his pocket.
Is that not the case? Or is it the other parents responsibility to make up that difference?
It depends on the club and coach. Some clubs can fund a scholarship. If they don't - the team will have to make up the difference as the club will require payment from the team regardless of scholarships.
I'd say for the majority of coaches that is the case (the scholarship comes out of their pocket). If it's U?-U10 academy, you have little you can do as there is no contract in place, so there is no fundraising you can mandate. If it's select, the fact sheet should clearly state how many scholarship and what the costs will be (roughly). Things do change - tournaments, parties, travel, but the majority of teams play in 4-5 tournaments w/out travel. I'd have no idea on a typical number of scholarships - I'd guess 1 or 2. A lot of teams have zero, some have up to 4-5 (that's when it will really hit the families and coaches). Then again, some coaches aren't paid - so, they aren't affected as much if it's a smaller club.
You'd have to discuss it with your coach - but, I'd hope they have some standard speech for the 'good of the team' talk.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabiano9 10/27/2009, 2:47 pm

You'd have to discuss it with your coach - but, I'd hope they have some standard speech for the 'good of the team' talk.[/quote]
Ha! Funny you should mention that. Scholarships& Fundraising? Lol Already got it.
Fabiano9
Fabiano9
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TxHunter 10/27/2009, 3:41 pm

Our team has fund raising opportunities offered to all families on the team, those that particiate can use their earnings for tournament costs, travel costs, dues, et cetera. We have one large"team" fundraiser that we do to raise money for the teams reserve account. We had individual families this year raise from $100 to $1500 to pay for dues, uniform kits, and tournaments.

TxHunter
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 10/27/2009, 3:48 pm

The scholorship usually comes out of the coaches pocket. Don't know about what club you are in, only know about the one I am in (FCD). You should not have to do a fundraiser to make money for the coach. They are to do things for the team and FCD also has things that can be done for individual player accounts. I would personally not spend my time making money for a coach that I already PAY
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabiano9 10/27/2009, 3:56 pm

go99 wrote:The scholorship usually comes out of the coaches pocket. Don't know about what club you are in, only know about the one I am in (FCD). You should not have to do a fundraiser to make money for the coach. They are to do things for the team and FCD also has things that can be done for individual player accounts. I would personally not spend my time making money for a coach that I already PAY

Exactly!
Fabiano9
Fabiano9
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 10/27/2009, 4:06 pm

I refuse to take part in any fundraising where the funds go to select soccer. Their are too many other causes out there that REALLY need the money. I have seen alot of famillies that can't afford rec let alone the ridiculous price of TX select soccer.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 10/27/2009, 4:50 pm

my2cents wrote:I refuse to take part in any fundraising where the funds go to select soccer. Their are too many other causes out there that REALLY need the money. I have seen alot of famillies that can't afford rec let alone the ridiculous price of TX select soccer.
That's a good point - schools as well - I'm shocked with how many fundraisers there are. I'd agree with the not paying for a coach who you are already paying, but I'd change my mind if it's for the purposes of helping out a family or player in need (double plus if that player is your team's 'difference-maker' - in that scenario, it's a win-win). I actually use my corporation's EEC pledge for a qualifying select soccer program (keep it local and applicable to one's own situation - IMO).
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by rdg 10/28/2009, 12:43 pm

Most teams/clubs that I have seen are operating on a budget based on a full roster of paying players. The exact scenario is usually spelled out in the fact sheet. Parents choose to sign or not. If your team is short players or offers a number of scholarships stated in fact sheet, then the difference has to be made up somewhere. Either parent's divide the missing amount and cover the cost (higher fees), or fundraisers make up the difference. The alternative is that it comes off of the coaches bottom line. He may then end up going to a team/club where he can get compensated from full teams and make more money (this is how a lot of the better coaches make a living after all, so you can't blame them).

If you are in this situation, and like the club or coach and want to stay involved, then you have to either pay more or participate in fund raising. If it goes against your grain then you will have to go to a team where the coach is willing to take less or have no scholarshipped players. You may then not like the results of the team, or the lack of development from a cheap or free coach. I have found out the hard way, that comp. soccer is like most everything else in a competitive market, "you get what you pay for". It comes down to where soccer falls on your list of priorities. Not good or bad, just more important to some than others.
I am sure that there are a few exceptions and congrats to those that found them.
rdg
rdg
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 10/28/2009, 1:17 pm

how about the coach spend some of that time developing players instead of buying them with scholorships. It's a coaches choice to provide them and he should live with the consequences.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 10/28/2009, 6:44 pm

I don't blame anyone for making a living but my sympathies don't go to far here. This is the math behind that feeling. Say a team gets $2000 a year, X 18 players = $36000. Less league and tournements fees, etc. of $6,000. That leaves $30,000 per year. Now take two 1 and 1/2 hour practices and one game is about 5 hours per week for 50 weeks a year. $30,000 divided by 250 hours comes out to $120/hr for teaching kids soccer. They don't handle the communication, they have volunteer managers do all the paperwork and email etc. Now you can add extra practices and other things to play with the numbers but the clubs or coaches are making probably $75 to $125 and hour. The field fees are usually seperate so don't figure in here. They want to scholarship kids the money is there for them to be able to afford to throw in a freebie or include it in THEIR budget.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 10/28/2009, 9:20 pm

If your math were correct, there would be a zillion fulltime soccer coaches in the metroplex. I have heard, have no specific knowledge at all, that an average fee per team that goes to a coach is around 10K. Not bad, but if it's year round (practices/games with travel) - it comes out to substantially less than above. I do think it's a pretty cool part time gig.
If your take home is $10,000 for the year, and you scholarship 1.5 kids - that can be a 30% or more pay cut.
The key is to get a full roster of paying players - it's not just that easy and the leagues would be losing a lot of good players if scholarships didn't exist. Now, scholarships NOT based on need are another thing - I'm not too fond of that, but have heard that occurs.
I know of a family that paid for their entire year and more through fundraising, but it took relatives in large numbers to work at various venues multiple times to accomplish that. If you can pull that off, more power to you. I did the SMU concessions for less than $10/hour and have heard of some approaching $4/hour when it's all said and done.

Last edited by clueless on 10/28/2009, 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : messed up my numbers! sorry multi-tasking)
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabiano9 10/29/2009, 10:11 am

FYI...It's safe to say that at the BIG FOUR clubs, each player is worth $1000/per year. So, said coach on a non-scholarship team is pocketing $16,000/yr. If said coach has three teams, then the max payout would be $48k.
Let's say each team gives three players a free ride, The coach pockets $39k, minus taxes of course.
So just under a 19% paycut to give three players per team a free ride.

How about making the kids that get a free ride do the fundraising? How about they do the coach's lawn work for a year.
Maybe wash his car every other week. Hell, I dont know. Just don't ask me, the person who has made their full mthly pymnt on time, every mth for three years, to make up the difference.
Fabiano9
Fabiano9
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by madridistas04 10/29/2009, 1:04 pm

Fabiano9 wrote:FYI...It's safe to say that at the BIG FOUR clubs, each player is worth $1000/per year. So, said coach on a non-scholarship team is pocketing $16,000/yr. If said coach has three teams, then the max payout would be $48k.
Let's say each team gives three players a free ride, The coach pockets $39k, minus taxes of course.
So just under a 19% paycut to give three players per team a free ride.

How about making the kids that get a free ride do the fundraising? How about they do the coach's lawn work for a year.
Maybe wash his car every other week. Hell, I dont know. Just don't ask me, the person who has made their full mthly pymnt on time, every mth for three years, to make up the difference.
if your that unhappy, talk to the coach ask for a release... Im sure your coach knowing how you feel would release you...

madridistas04
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 10/29/2009, 1:10 pm

or how about he just not do the fundraiser. The coach cannot force you to do it. You are the paying customer.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by madridistas04 10/29/2009, 1:21 pm

go99 wrote:or how about he just not do the fundraiser. The coach cannot force you to do it. You are the paying customer.

Just saying if your not happy how the TEAM runs itself, maybe you should go somewhere else... Why would you want to stay if your unhappy with how the coach or teams runs itself. There are options out there, teams you could play on where you didnt have to fundraise.. Oh forget, as long as the team is wining, thats what matter... shoot, always forget that one.....

madridistas04
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabiano9 10/29/2009, 2:44 pm

You kidding! The coach would die to keep us. My boys the next Cristiano Ronado. Scholarships& Fundraising? Drunken_smilie
Fabiano9
Fabiano9
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 10/29/2009, 9:06 pm

clueless wrote:If your math were correct, there would be a zillion fulltime soccer coaches in the metroplex. I have heard, have no specific knowledge at all, that an average fee per team that goes to a coach is around 10K. Not bad, but if it's year round (practices/games with travel) - it comes out to substantially less than above. I do think it's a pretty cool part time gig.
If your take home is $10,000 for the year, and you scholarship 1.5 kids - that can be a 30% or more pay cut.
The key is to get a full roster of paying players - it's not just that easy and the leagues would be losing a lot of good players if scholarships didn't exist. Now, scholarships NOT based on need are another thing - I'm not too fond of that, but have heard that occurs.
I know of a family that paid for their entire year and more through fundraising, but it took relatives in large numbers to work at various venues multiple times to accomplish that. If you can pull that off, more power to you. I did the SMU concessions for less than $10/hour and have heard of some approaching $4/hour when it's all said and done.

If that is so then where does the other $26000 go? And for clubs getting $3000 or up it would be where does the other $44,000 go ?

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 10/29/2009, 10:15 pm

my2cents wrote:
clueless wrote:If your math were correct, there would be a zillion fulltime soccer coaches in the metroplex. I have heard, have no specific knowledge at all, that an average fee per team that goes to a coach is around 10K. Not bad, but if it's year round (practices/games with travel) - it comes out to substantially less than above. I do think it's a pretty cool part time gig.

If that is so then where does the other $26000 go? And for clubs getting $3000 or up it would be where does the other $44,000 go ?
I only know what our club gets, not how much of it goes to the club or coach. League/Home Association/Ref fees come to about $4K, tournaments/coach travel/indoor rental come to about $6K. I highly doubt the $30K that goes to the club is solely for coaching fees (how would they pay for facilities and general administration?).
The example of each kid being 'worth' $1000 for the year doesn't make sense to me - if they are scholarshiped, the amount would be $2500-3000 not $1000. Unless each kid only pays $1000 for the year. If that's the case, most likely their coach isn't paid. Three kids on a full-ride would create a deficit to be made up of between $7500-$9000 (of which, you could make the coach eat $3000 of it within that example). There would still be additional money that needs to be raised somehow (to account for tournaments/fees or whatever isn't associated with coaching fees).
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabiano9 10/30/2009, 9:59 am

clueless wrote:
my2cents wrote:

I only know what our club gets, not how much of it goes to the club or coach. League/Home Association/Ref fees come to about $4K, tournaments/coach travel/indoor rental come to about $6K. I highly doubt the $30K that goes to the club is solely for coaching fees (how would they pay for facilities and general administration?).
The example of each kid being 'worth' $1000 for the year doesn't make sense to me - if they are scholarshiped, the amount would be $2500-3000 not $1000. Unless each kid only pays $1000 for the year. If that's the case, most likely their coach isn't paid. Three kids on a full-ride would create a deficit to be made up of between $7500-$9000 (of which, you could make the coach eat $3000 of it within that example). There would still be additional money that needs to be raised somehow (to account for tournaments/fees or whatever isn't associated with coaching fees).

I meant to say that to the coach, each kid is worth about a grand. Of course the remaining two grand goes to the club.
Then there are CL field fees, ref fees, practice field fees, etc...etc...etc.... Who knows how much the club pockets.
Fabiano9
Fabiano9
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadillo 10/30/2009, 10:35 pm

I worked fundraising at Ranger games this year and paid 100% of dues and uniforms on July 1rst. Our fundraising activities go toward our own kid. Now, our dues were based on x amount of players and we ended up 1 player short of that number that was on the contract, so the coach was taking the hit unless the team did group fundraising like a car wash to make up the difference.
Armadillo
Armadillo
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Blitzed 10/31/2009, 10:39 pm

go99 wrote:The scholorship usually comes out of the coaches pocket. Don't know about what club you are in, only know about the one I am in (FCD). You should not have to do a fundraiser to make money for the coach. They are to do things for the team and FCD also has things that can be done for individual player accounts. I would personally not spend my time making money for a coach that I already PAY

Actually, I don't think that is always true. My 2 bbs have been involved with 4 clubs total. From my personal experience as well as what my friends have told me about their clubs, clubs generally fall into 2 groups: those that do their accounting on a team basis and those that do their accounting on a player basis.

Team basis clubs require a set amount of money per team. They don't care whether they get that money from 16 players, 14 players, or 12 players. The parents generally pick up the scholarships in this club since the more non-paying players on the team, the more the paying members have to pay to come up with the money the team owes the club.

Player basis clubs generally set dues per player and the number of scholarships does not change what the parents owe. Scholarships in these clubs are generally absorbed by the coach since the more scholarships given, the less money the team generates which means the less money the coach gets paid.

There are exceptions to every rule of course but I have found clubs generally fall into one of these two models. I have experienced both of these models. I'll leave the exercise of determining which clubs fall into which category to the reader although I will provide one: Andromeda is a team accounting based club.

Blitzed
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by studsup 11/1/2009, 11:04 am

my2cents wrote:I refuse to take part in any fundraising where the funds go to select soccer. Their are too many other causes out there that REALLY need the money. I have seen alot of famillies that can't afford rec let alone the ridiculous price of TX select soccer.
As long as people are willing to spend the money their will be people willing to take it. Especially ones who have a foriegn accent which automatically makes them the worlds greatest coach in the eyes of so many american parents. If they are so great at developing talent why are they here instead of in their native land where soccer academies are in abundance. Could it be that they are just average guys who like soccer and need a way to make an easy buck. Don't get me completely wrong I have seen a handful of coaches in the dfw area that are excellent and truly have a passion and desire to teach kids how to play the beautiful game. But that handful does not coach the nearly 80 teams in each age group here in the metroplex. Most of these paid coaches wouldn't know the first thing about correct body shape, proper striking, the role of the 1st,2nd,3rd defenders, how to effectively use zone defending or man marking and when to use them, how to properly attack the offside trap, how to design set pieces to provide that 1 good scoring oppurtunity, and lets not forget how to properly incorporate a keeper into practice other than stand in the net while 17 kids shoot repeatedly at you. Soccer is a complex sport that requires dedication not only from the player ,but also from the coach and unfortunately the parent as well. Practices have to be building lessons derived from what was lacking from the last game not only as a team in full, but also individual players. A coach must not only see the problem, but must stop the play, recreate the problem ,and then explain how to fix it and then restart the play with the player achieving the desired result. This is how a young mind learns and begins to problem solve faster.
Ask youself how many times you have seen this at one of your childs practices!
We as parents have to become more selective about who we allow to (coach) our kids if development is what you want.
There is a big difference between being a coach and a facillitator. The main point being one is a teacher!
As far as fees go try this math I know it is correct because I have put it to use in real life.
5 tourneys x 500 ave = 2500
23 games x 50 ref fee = 1150
practice field uasage = 1000
league fees = 1000
1coach x 1 year@1000per month =12,000
total 17,650.00
lets make it 21,000 with uniforms
3000 x 18 players = 54,000
54,000 - 17650 = 36350.00 Thats a lot of money going to the club per team. Either these facilliteators are making more than you realize or the clubs founders are pocketing a tremendous amount of money for a child to play a sport.
36,350.00 x 50 teams = 1,817,500.00 WHAT THE #$&%!!!!!!!!!
I did forget the DOC, director, keeper coach, registar, and land payment which I am sure is a loan but even if all that adds up to 817,500.00 there is still 1,000,000.00 left over for a club with 50 teams and some of you said that you paid extra for tourneys mine had that included.
Any questions? Yall try and have a nice day
I
studsup
studsup
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next