Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

96 Parent seeking advice for next year Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

96 Parent seeking advice for next year

+5
Laimport
Kaivermor
nearpost95
humble
SoccerDummy
9 posters

Go down

96 Parent seeking advice for next year Empty 96 Parent seeking advice for next year

Post by SoccerDummy 2/10/2013, 9:23 pm

First let me say that I have been a lurker of this forum for years, simply enjoying the information and good natured ribbing of all the posts. I have looked around and haven't been able to find a discussion on the value of playing club soccer at the U19 (Senior Year) level. So I have registered and am posting this topic hoping for some good counsel for my bb.

Here is my dilemna...My bb plays on one of the top CL 96 D1 teams. He is a starter so no sour grapes whatsoever. While he loves soccer, he is not interested in playing college soccer, primarily because he wants to attend a recognized larger university, for which they either do not have a mens NCAA program or are focused on DA boys. So, after realizing that the club season is only half a season, my bb is wondering what's the point in playing club next year. Instead, he is thinking of just enjoying his senior year and only playing high school soccer (which he loves).

I tend to agree with my bb and have absolutely no problem if he is ready to hang em up at the club level. As a parent, I want to make sure that I haven't missed something that I should have brought to his attention for consideration. Is there any one out there who has "been there, done that" who might provided some good counsel?

SoccerDummy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

96 Parent seeking advice for next year Empty Re: 96 Parent seeking advice for next year

Post by Guest 2/10/2013, 10:04 pm

Great question SD. I have no advice to offer, but look forward to any responses on this topic as well. I think there are a ton of 96's that are pondering the same thing your bb is thinking. I am impressed that your bb seems to have good head on his shoulders and is being realistic about his soccer future. A lot of our bb's drink the Kool Aid of the importance of a soccer scholarship. In many cases that is the only way that bb is going to get to college, which should be applauded. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, if your bb is not playing DA, your choices are much more limited. Just a matter of personal choice. Thanks for starting this topic.

Back to top Go down

96 Parent seeking advice for next year Empty Re: 96 Parent seeking advice for next year

Post by humble 2/10/2013, 10:17 pm

You are not alone. Even at the academy level, if a player gets an early acceptance to the college and to the team, they rather enjoy the HS on their senior year. I know at least one player looking forward to that option!
humble
humble
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nearpost95 2/11/2013, 12:36 am

My BB played U19 club, and I'd rather have the money back - a full year's big club level dues for essentially 4 months. My BB, like yours, has decided to attend a larger school with no men's soccer program and just tear up the intramural league.

Last edited by nearpost95 on 2/11/2013, 1:03 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarity)

nearpost95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaivermor 2/11/2013, 9:55 am

What is the deal (literally) on U19 soccer?

That is, I had heard it was only the Fall Season, for the most part, but I thought it would be less cost.

Someonewrote "Full Year's Club dues for 4 months of soccer".

Is that accurate? Please write back and comment. Is it really the same price? Is it really just the Fall season / no Spring tourneys?
Kaivermor
Kaivermor
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 2/11/2013, 10:34 am

By 17/18 a kid should know and have a solid grasp on their ability as a player.

If he doesn't want to play in college, then, why spend the money?

If he wants to stay in shape for hs ball, then go play in a mens rec league. Or spend an hour a day (or whatever time he wants to devote) working on technique with some fitness work mixed in.

That said, I disagree with the "if he isn't DA he has few options" mindset.

While DA is arguably getting the most 'attention' from D1 college coaches, it sure isn't the only path to playing d1 college soccer.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by nearpost95 2/11/2013, 11:48 am

Mid-size club charged full year's fees for U19. After the 9-game fall season, it depends on the team. The higher level teams will play showcase ($$$) tournaments in Nov and Dec, then maybe a couple more after HS ends and maybe State Cup. The real difference between U15-U17 and U19 is 9 less league games (U19 does not have 13-14 games in the fall and 5-6 games crammed into 3 weeks after HS) and for some teams a lack of urgency for anything else.

Apologize for the "4-month" comment - some "sour grapes" leached out.

nearpost95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bunited 2/11/2013, 12:22 pm

Laimport wrote:By 17/18 a kid should know and have a solid grasp on their ability as a player.

If he doesn't want to play in college, then, why spend the money?

If he wants to stay in shape for hs ball, then go play in a mens rec league. Or spend an hour a day (or whatever time he wants to devote) working on technique with some fitness work mixed in.

And this is exactly what my '95 did. Throw in the fact that we basically told him he would be paying his own club dues if he opted to play U19 (he has a job), and the cost:benefit ratio when it involved his own funds became a little more focused Smile He misses club, I will say that, but he knows he made the right decision for him. His younger brothers' opportunities are different, and they are all drastically different players; therefore, their options will be different. We will cross that bridge when we come to it.

I also COMPLETELY agree with LP: Don't drink that whole "DA is the only way to college" Kool-Aid. Absolute bollocks.

Good luck in finding the path best for you and your BB. Awesome question.

bunited
bunited
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SoccerDummy 2/11/2013, 1:05 pm

Great feedback. It is much appreciated. From the initial posts, it sounds like my bb is heading in the right direction. While club soccer has been a great run, it may be time to put a fork in it since he does not intend to play in college (at least thru a scholarship - may play club and or intramurals). We will see how he feels when it is time to make that decision the first part of June, huh?

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that DA is the only way to a college scholarship. There are plenty of scholarships available to Division II and III colleges (often paired or given through academics or financial need instead of athletics). It's just a matter of preference if your bb is looking for a big school or a small school. In my bb's case, he is looking for a large school.

SoccerDummy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheSurface 2/11/2013, 1:33 pm

And just as a reminder, most high level intramural teams can and will participate in multi-school leagues; they have championship tournaments, school branded uniforms, and so forth. It’s not like kids from the dorm out kicking a ball around for funsies. (Although those types of teams/games are out there too.) It is very competitive and very hard-core. If your bb is just looking for a challenging game of soccer, that should be available at any larger school, and particularly at those schools that don’t offer a men’s soccer program (specifically thinking of Texas A&M, but many more out there.)
OnTheSurface
OnTheSurface
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 2/11/2013, 2:24 pm

OnTheSurface wrote:And just as a reminder, most high level intramural teams can and will participate in multi-school leagues; they have championship tournaments, school branded uniforms, and so forth. It’s not like kids from the dorm out kicking a ball around for funsies. (Although those types of teams/games are out there too.) It is very competitive and very hard-core. If your bb is just looking for a challenging game of soccer, that should be available at any larger school, and particularly at those schools that don’t offer a men’s soccer program (specifically thinking of Texas A&M, but many more out there.)

I've always wondered about the relative competitiveness of college club soccer teams. (As opposed to 'varsity' teams.)

As bad as the level of some 'varsity' teams are...let's just say I'm skeptical. My guess is that college club soccer is somewhere between a lower level D3 team to a quality mens rec league team.

I could be wrong.

Obviously, those that are experienced with college 'club' soccer will disagree.

Maybe it really is more than just 'frat boy' soccer.

As an aside, I think the vast majority of players and especially parents are misinformed when it comes to the different levels of college soccer.

Outside of maybe the top 20 D1 programs, there is little difference or dropoff between d1, d2, d3 and especially naia schools.

The top 8 naia programs are generally better than all but the cream of the d1 crop. Even the very best d3 teams are certainly as competitive as the majority of d1 teams.

I've seen enough hours of video to be able to discern this. Outside of the very elite programs, there just isn't a major difference.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprint 2/11/2013, 3:20 pm

Laimport wrote:
OnTheSurface wrote:And just as a reminder, most high level intramural teams can and will participate in multi-school leagues; they have championship tournaments, school branded uniforms, and so forth. It’s not like kids from the dorm out kicking a ball around for funsies. (Although those types of teams/games are out there too.) It is very competitive and very hard-core. If your bb is just looking for a challenging game of soccer, that should be available at any larger school, and particularly at those schools that don’t offer a men’s soccer program (specifically thinking of Texas A&M, but many more out there.)

I've always wondered about the relative competitiveness of college club soccer teams. (As opposed to 'varsity' teams.)

As bad as the level of some 'varsity' teams are...let's just say I'm skeptical. My guess is that college club soccer is somewhere between a lower level D3 team to a quality mens rec league team.

I could be wrong.

As an aside, I think the vast majority of players and especially parents are misinformed when it comes to the different levels of college soccer.

Outside of maybe the top 20 D1 programs, there is little difference or dropoff between d1, d2, d3 and especially naia schools.

The top 8 naia programs are generally better than all but the cream of the d1 crop. Even the very best d3 teams are certainly as competitive as the majority of d1 teams.

I've seen enough hours of video to be able to discern this. Outside of the very elite programs, there just isn't a major difference.

With regard to College Club teams, I can tell you they do have some very good players. My brother in law got a soccer scholarship to a D1 school back in the mid 90's and flamed out after one year. He transfered to Baylor to enjoy college life but wound up playing on the Men's Club Team. He said the team was made up of guys that had all played D1 classic league in DAllas or similar leagues and they traveled to schools all over Texas and also out of state to play. They even had a foreign guy coaching them. Very Happy

As far as the level of play, he felt they could have competed with any D1 college team, but the very best. He enjoyed it and got more out of that than he would have playing with his D1 school on a REAL team. I would be willing to bet you will find a lot of Classic League D1 players on the Club team at Baylor, Texas, A&M etc.. I don't think it is just FRAT Boy soccer.

Sprint
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 2/12/2013, 9:18 am

Sprint wrote:
Laimport wrote:

I could be wrong.

With regard to College Club teams, I can tell you they do have some very good players. My brother in law got a soccer scholarship to a D1 school back in the mid 90's and flamed out after one year. He transfered to Baylor to enjoy college life but wound up playing on the Men's Club Team. He said the team was made up of guys that had all played D1 classic league in DAllas or similar leagues and they traveled to schools all over Texas and also out of state to play. They even had a foreign guy coaching them. Very Happy

As far as the level of play, he felt they could have competed with any D1 college team, but the very best. He enjoyed it and got more out of that than he would have playing with his D1 school on a REAL team. I would be willing to bet you will find a lot of Classic League D1 players on the Club team at Baylor, Texas, A&M etc.. I don't think it is just FRAT Boy soccer.

I appreciate the input.

However, the soccer landscape has changed quite a bit since the mid 90's.

In the 90's quite a few d2, d3 and naia programs often played and beat d1 college teams.

That even rings true today.

I don't doubt that there are a few college 'club' teams that are very competitive. Especially at the larger universities. (Grad students with high level experience often play..from what I've been told.)

At any rate, I think kids continuing to play competitively beyond youth/hs level goes a long way to building a 'football culture' in this country. At whatever level they choose.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

96 Parent seeking advice for next year Empty club football (soccer)

Post by Ipswich6 5/30/2013, 3:33 pm

SD,

All I can say is the most important thing is how important is football to your son and what are his long term goals. To achieve a certain status in this game the commitment and the dedication has to be second to none. If the passion and drive is not there to achieve a certain goal like want to play in college or one day have that dream to be a Professional then it is better to enjoy HS football. I have a player who enoys his football and is not interested in playing in college but still wants to play at the club level, that is his choice and he is quite content with it and I support him for that attitude. Whatever, your son does I wish him all the very best in life its seems like his parents have raised the young lad well.

RV

Ipswich6
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down