Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Development Academies v. Classic/High School Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Development Academies v. Classic/High School

+22
SnookumsConCarne
mpcls55
Enjoy life now!
futbolczarina
The German
amateursoccerfan1
Ibystander
Se_la_perdio!
DarkHorse
Soccernovice
Number13
Sprint
go99
omega striker
Soccerinsanity
Laimport
soccerdadrandy
DragonStryker
British steel
my2cents
finish1
earbucket
26 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Development Academies v. Classic/High School Empty Development Academies v. Classic/High School

Post by earbucket 12/17/2013, 12:38 pm

Hoping to get an overview of the individual Development Academies.  What advantages does FCD have versus DT, Solar or Andromeda and vice-versa?

And what advantages/disadvantages does the Classic (or PPL, APL) combined with High School experience have versus the DA experience?  

I have heard that HS is an imitation of Classic league with weights and fitness being heavily emphasized at the expense of soccer training.  Is that true?  What local schools stand out for technical and tactical play?  I remember reading about a Waco school that has had lots of success playing tactically, but I can't remember the specifics.

I would like to hear about the soccer experience for the player in each track rather than the costs/travel or exposure to college coaches thru showcases and tournaments.

Thanks for any information.

earbucket
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Development Academies v. Classic/High School Empty Re: Development Academies v. Classic/High School

Post by finish1 12/17/2013, 12:58 pm

There are some exceptional HS soccer coaches in NTX. Coppell has Chad Rakestraw. Southlake as Coach O, Duncanville has Nuno Passos, Flower Mound has David Doyle and Flower Mound Marcus is coached by John Gall.

Our HS boys train 5 days per week and play futsal. They have access to athletic trainers and do strength and agility training.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Development Academies v. Classic/High School Empty Re: Development Academies v. Classic/High School

Post by my2cents 12/17/2013, 1:19 pm

Club/academy is better for all pure soccer skill areas and college recruiting. High school is much better for learning the team environment; practice everyday, film sessions, team travel. The HS environment is more like college than most clubs.
Exposure to college coaches is almost nonexistent in HS soccer except for a few local colleges ( a few of the elite top 5A, now 6A, high schools may be the exception to this). Most college coaches will say no when asked if they would like a player's HS schedule.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by British steel 12/17/2013, 1:28 pm

Excellent topic.

Why there is no soccer in middle school?

What happen with kids that does not like other sports in middle school?

How does the FCD-Frisco IDS works for the kids that does not belong to the school district but played for the club? It is just for the PA kids or any other FCD team?
British steel
British steel
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonStryker 12/17/2013, 1:44 pm

My districts middle school has 2 teams for both 7th and 8th graders. An A team and a B team with the division largely along club v rec lines in 7th grade and Classic v Other in 8th grade. The 9th grade team at the high school was them comprised of the standouts on the 2 middle school 8th grade A teams.
DragonStryker
DragonStryker
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 12/17/2013, 2:14 pm

worldcup2014 wrote:Excellent topic.

Why there is no soccer in middle school?

What happen with kids that does not like other sports in middle school?

How does the FCD-Frisco IDS works for the kids that does not belong to the school district but played for the club? It is just for the PA kids or any other FCD team?

worse than the kids that don't prefer another sport in middle school. what about the talented soccer players lost to BB and Fottball because it is free. including uniforms bus transportation etc?
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 12/17/2013, 2:16 pm

earbucket wrote:Hoping to get an overview of the individual Development Academies.  What advantages does FCD have versus DT, Solar or Andromeda and vice-versa?

And what advantages/disadvantages does the Classic (or PPL, APL) combined with High School experience have versus the DA experience?  

I have heard that HS is an imitation of Classic league with weights and fitness being heavily emphasized at the expense of soccer training.  Is that true?  What local schools stand out for technical and tactical play?  I remember reading about a Waco school that has had lots of success playing tactically, but I can't remember the specifics.

I would like to hear about the soccer experience for the player in each track rather than the costs/travel or exposure to college coaches thru showcases and tournaments.

Thanks for any information.

one big advantage FCD has is its FREE to players they select!!!!!!!!!!!
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 12/17/2013, 5:02 pm

It comes down to the individual player and their family. It's a choice.

There are players playing regular club and high school footy that are as good and many cases better than players rostered on DA teams.

On the surface, most of us are lead to believe that DA is automatically better. That the "best" players are in the DA.

More training, "professionalism", better competition etc. etc. etc....

The reality is that teams, leagues and even coaches overall play a very limited, small part in where a player ultimately ends up. It's the individual that plays the biggest part. Talent, hard work, desire and some amount of luck.

Being perceived as "the best" at 14/15 in the grand scheme of things means very little. In fact I feel it can do more harm than good to a player's psyche.

Then there's the money. With very few exceptions (mostly MLS academies) DA is not free.

And anytime pay to play enters the picture...reality gets skewed.

In terms of exposure, unless you are on a national league level club team (again...$$$) then you will get more exposure to college coaches in the DA...again with a few exceptions. (The latest bandwagon effect in youth soccer.)

Another downside with DA is the amount of travel involved. If windshield time and airline miles were a prerequisite for success, the USA would be ranked at the top of FIFA.

Either way it is a tough choice to make.

I think the best recipe for most youth players is a mixture. Playing club. Playing for their school. Playing a lot of futsal in the summer. And, at 15 or 16, introduce them to competing with and against much older players. I'm talking about competitive adult leagues, PDL and/or NPSL teams in the summer.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 12/18/2013, 11:54 am

We have middle school soccer...it's fun and competitive as almost all the kids from all the schools are club players.

I think a lot of quality players don't go FCD DA because of the school issue....parents don't want their kids living away from them and they want to ensure that the high school education is in place. In FCD's case, they've had some failure issues at the Frisco ISD with kids that were living away from momma.

Must say, with middle school and high school coaches, our school parents have been impressed with the quality of the men, if not always the soccer knowledge. Lots to learn by being accountable to a coach and team, not just on the field but also off in grades and behavior. Love that the coaches don't focus on talking to the parents. They can't legally take extra $$ from the parents/no need to talk to the parents...in this part, the schools have it right!
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 12/18/2013, 11:59 am

Soccerinsanity wrote:We have middle school soccer...it's fun and competitive as almost all the kids from all the schools are club players.  

I think a lot of quality players don't go FCD DA because of the school issue....parents don't want their kids living away from them and they want to ensure that the high school education is in place. In FCD's case, they've had some failure issues at the Frisco ISD with kids that were living away from momma.  

Must say, with middle school and high school coaches, our school parents have been impressed with the quality of the men, if not always the soccer knowledge.  Lots to learn by being accountable to a coach and team, not just on the field but also off in grades and behavior.  Love that the coaches don't focus on talking to the parents.  They can't legally take extra $$ from the parents/no need to talk to the parents...in this part, the schools have it right!
it also depends on the school  Razz 
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/18/2013, 12:09 pm

Soccerinsanity wrote:We have middle school soccer...it's fun and competitive as almost all the kids from all the schools are club players.  

Must say, with middle school and high school coaches, our school parents have been impressed with the quality of the men, if not always the soccer knowledge.  Lots to learn by being accountable to a coach and team, not just on the field but also off in grades and behavior.  Love that the coaches don't focus on talking to the parents.  They can't legally take extra $$ from the parents/no need to talk to the parents...in this part, the schools have it right!

What the hell are you talking about? They aren't living at the frisco school. The failure issues are most likely from kids coming from a not so good school district into FISD and being behind. FCD could be at fault for not recognizing this and putting tutoring in place to help kids catch up. So unless FCD has some dorms put up with this new toyata dealership money, it's just a school thing not a living situation. High school soccer is a great experience and good laughs and giggles
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprint 12/18/2013, 12:18 pm

go99 wrote:

What the hell are you talking about?  They aren't living at the frisco school.  The failure issues are most likely from kids coming from a not so good school district into FISD and being behind.  FCD could be at fault for not recognizing this and putting tutoring in place to help kids catch up.  So unless FCD has some dorms put up with this new toyata dealership money, it's just a school thing not a living situation.  High school soccer is a great experience and good laughs and giggles
I am right there with you and like to bash highschool soccer as much as the next guy, but then was informed by a genius poster on this forum that the Notre Dame Soccer Team ( make that National Champion Notre Dame Soccer Team) is made up of guys that primarily came from ODP and High School Soccer with a few Academy players sprinkled in.

Sprint
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 12/18/2013, 12:28 pm

Go...

I'm not blaming FCd for the grades but I do believe that a teenage male does often need a mom and dad nudging them about getting that homework done instead of vegging with a video controller....regardless of the school district. For the FCD kids that are living with other than their own parents...it's a tough situation to expect someone else to help and monitor homework. Although I understand your point that all school disticts don't offer the same education (and could argue that the well-off neighborhoods don't guarantee a good education), I don't necessarily buy into the idea that it's a result of the previous school district because I believe that being economically challenged doesn't mean that the parents don't help make sure that their kids are learning and doing well in school. In fact, sometimes those parents are more focused on helping their kids achieve than the wealthy parents that are off having dinner out instead of being at home with their own kids.
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/18/2013, 12:33 pm

Sprint wrote:
go99 wrote:

What the hell are you talking about?  They aren't living at the frisco school.  The failure issues are most likely from kids coming from a not so good school district into FISD and being behind.  FCD could be at fault for not recognizing this and putting tutoring in place to help kids catch up.  So unless FCD has some dorms put up with this new toyata dealership money, it's just a school thing not a living situation.  High school soccer is a great experience and good laughs and giggles
I am right there with you and like to bash highschool soccer as much as the next guy, but then was informed by a genius poster on this forum that the Notre Dame Soccer Team ( make that National Champion Notre Dame Soccer Team) is made up of guys that primarily came from ODP and High School Soccer with a few Academy players sprinkled in.

He is definitely a genius because I just looked up the ND roster and in there bios they are all listing a club affiliation along with high school. Which means they are not just high school players. #mythbusted
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprint 12/18/2013, 12:35 pm

go99 wrote:
Sprint wrote:
go99 wrote:

He is definitely a genius because I just looked up the ND roster and in there bios they are all listing a club affiliation along with high school.  Which means they are not just high school players. #mythbusted
more of the fact most of them did not play on a DA team.

Sprint
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/18/2013, 12:41 pm

Soccerinsanity wrote:Go...

I'm not blaming FCd for the grades but I do believe that a teenage male does often need a mom and dad nudging them about getting that homework done instead of vegging with a video controller....regardless of the school district.  For the FCD kids that are living with other than their own parents...it's a tough situation to expect someone else to help and monitor homework.  Although I understand your point that all school disticts don't offer the same education (and could argue that the well-off neighborhoods don't guarantee a good education), I don't necessarily buy into the idea that it's a result of the previous school district because I believe that being economically challenged doesn't mean that the parents don't help make sure that their kids are learning and doing well in school.  In fact, sometimes those parents are more focused on helping their kids achieve than the wealthy parents that are off having dinner out instead of being at home with their own kids.

You may have a couple of kids homestaying with another family and I would bet that those are not the kids that are failing. Most of the kids are local area kids that drive in for practice and school and go back home just like everyone else. this idea of being away from mom and dad does not apply in the overwhelming majority of cases. And for those few that it does, if the kid is unable to handle his responsibilities without mom holding his hand then he just need to return home
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/18/2013, 12:43 pm

Sprint wrote:
go99 wrote:
Sprint wrote:
go99 wrote:

He is definitely a genius because I just looked up the ND roster and in there bios they are all listing a club affiliation along with high school.  Which means they are not just high school players. #mythbusted
more of the fact most of them did not play on a DA team.

There are only so many areas that have teams. The vast majority of kids playing soccer do not play in the DA. Still doesn't mean ND is combing the countries HS looking for talent.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 12/18/2013, 12:49 pm

go99 wrote:

Well, hell, my kid plays for a club.  Thats not the same as Academy.  Looking at the starters more had ODP on their bio then DA.  And EVERYBODY played multiple years of high school.  Most seemed to play every year of HS.  So whatever.    

Shipp:   ODP, DA, and HS
Casteele:  DA/HS
Mishu :  Just HS?
Lachowecki : ODP/HS
OMalley:  ODP/HS
Penken:  ODP/HS/DA?
Hodan:  ODP/HS
Cicciarelli:  HS/DA
Klekota:  HS/DA
Besler :  ODP/HS
Wall : ODP/HS/DA

The non-starters on roster were more heavily weighted towards non-DA.   ODP more of a big deal in other regions, high school too I suppose.  They got scouted from somewhere.  Whichever, they were largely little...smart...pale..guys.   Maybe there aren't enough of those to go around.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/18/2013, 12:56 pm

Number13 wrote:
go99 wrote:

Well, hell, my kid plays for a club.  Thats not the same as Academy.  Looking at the starters more had ODP on their bio then DA.  And EVERYBODY played multiple years of high school.  Most seemed to play every year of HS.  So whatever.    

The non-starters on roster were more heavily weighted towards non-DA.   ODP more of a big deal in other regions, high school too I suppose.  They got scouted from somewhere.  Whichever, they were largely little...smart...pale..guys.   Maybe there aren't enough of those to go around.

But you are leaving off their club career. Mishu for example KFC Liverpool. Hoden FC Milwaukee Academy. They were scouted from their club teams and possibly ODP. I hear ODP is much stronger in other areas particularly areas without DA teams
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprint 12/18/2013, 1:04 pm

go99 wrote:
Number13 wrote:
go99 wrote:

But you are leaving off their club career.  Mishu for example KFC Liverpool.  Hoden FC Milwaukee Academy. They were scouted from their club teams and possibly ODP.  I hear ODP is much stronger in other areas particularly areas without DA teams

I was just impressed and a bit surprised to find out there were any kids at a major D1 mens program that did not play DA.  The fact that half of the starting 11 did not play DA goes against what I think about college soccer recruiting. 

Count me as one of the people that has thought if your kid does not play DA, it is very likely he wont play college soccer at a major D1 program.  I still think that tends to be true, particularly if you are from an area (NTX) that has 4 DA teams, but Notre Dame shows there are kids playing at a large program and starting that did not play DA.  It might be due to the fact they don't live near a DA club, but I think ND has enough money to scout where they want and can find DA players if they want them.

Sprint
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 12/18/2013, 1:05 pm

go99 wrote:
But you are leaving off their club career.  Mishu for example KFC Liverpool.  Hoden FC Milwaukee Academy. They were scouted from their club teams and possibly ODP.  I hear ODP is much stronger in other areas particularly areas without DA teams

Yeah, that is true, agreed.   I thought the implication was HS/Classic vs DA?   Sorry if not clear.  HS = High School and club rather than DA.

Discussion came up centered around the idea that every kid on the powerhouse ACC College soccer teams (which are a good mix of soccer/academics) was coming from the National pools and DA backgrounds.  

I think what this one roster check highlights is that kids from Texas on those teams are coming from DA.  Kids outside Texas are a different story.  Texas is a long way from the ACC schools.  Maybe if you want to be a "national" recruit instead of a regional recruit, you need to do DA.   Maybe Texas is more DA-weighted than other places. The majority of the ND kids are from nearby states and/or Matt Besler's little brother.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 12/18/2013, 1:57 pm

Great discussion. bottom line is..a kid can either play (by fitting the typical college player profile) or he can't.

This topic hits hauntingly close to home. As a family we are looking at some tough decisions. We don't live close enough to commute to a DA team.

On top of that, there are very, very limited 'local' options available for club soccer. (He's a 98 playing on a 97 club team now)

The last 2 years of hs/club soccer are very important in getting him prepared for college soccer. Hell, college in general.

Not in a position to relocate to the metroplex.

Do we send him to live somewhere else?

And is it really worth it?

Very tough situation to be in.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 12/18/2013, 5:07 pm

how long has the DA rule of no high school soccer been in play?
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 12/18/2013, 8:57 pm

About 2 years
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 12/18/2013, 9:43 pm

And the rule is only for boys. Girls are allowed/encouraged to play hs and DA!!!
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next