Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Development Academies v. Classic/High School - Page 2 Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Development Academies v. Classic/High School

+22
SnookumsConCarne
mpcls55
Enjoy life now!
futbolczarina
The German
amateursoccerfan1
Ibystander
Se_la_perdio!
DarkHorse
Soccernovice
Number13
Sprint
go99
omega striker
Soccerinsanity
Laimport
soccerdadrandy
DragonStryker
British steel
my2cents
finish1
earbucket
26 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Development Academies v. Classic/High School - Page 2 Empty Re: Development Academies v. Classic/High School

Post by Soccerinsanity 12/18/2013, 9:43 pm

And the rule is only for boys. Girls are allowed/encouraged to play hs and DA!!!

Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Development Academies v. Classic/High School - Page 2 Empty Re: Development Academies v. Classic/High School

Post by my2cents 12/18/2013, 11:00 pm

Did not know there was a girls academy. ECNL and Academy are not the same.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 12/19/2013, 9:00 am

Whatever you want to call it, 2 cents. The point being, the girls at their highest levels are encouraged to continue playing for their high schools.
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 12/19/2013, 9:32 am

playing high school isn't going to help or hurt a child's progress. but there are and will continue to be very good soccer players, ONLY playing club and high school that are better in college than some of the DA players.
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/19/2013, 10:20 am

yes the girls in ECNL and a completely different governing body. I think it is the same group as pre academy. But ECNL is not run by US soccer
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 12/19/2013, 11:45 am

soccerdadrandy wrote:playing high school isn't going to help or hurt a child's progress. but there are and will continue to be very good soccer players, ONLY playing club and high school that are better in college than some of the DA players.

Completely agree. Although it helps a player's development in their later years to at least begin to seek out the highest level possible.

They need a balance of successful repetitions ('training' games) along with sharpening themselves technically and tactically via playing with older/better players.

Usually 16/17 is a good time to experiment with that. granted the same approach doesn't work with all players.

And this assumes the player is dominant at their current age group/level.

Playing "up" in and of itself is not always good for every player.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 12/19/2013, 4:30 pm

Soccerinsanity wrote:Whatever you want to call it, 2 cents.  The point being, the girls at their highest levels are encouraged to continue playing for their high schools.

Well that is a shock seeing as the girls play mostly for the same clubs as the boys and I have not met a club coach yet that encourages playing high school. Most coaches only begrudgingly tolerate it because they have no choice. Most hate it and refuse to accommodate any conflicts between the two.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccernovice 12/19/2013, 9:33 pm

If you are interested in a more detailed thread on one recruiting class from North Texas DA and Club to see how they fared in college recruiting, commitment, and actually getting minutes on the field. This thread has High School commitments tracked through Sophomore year in college thus far. Expect further drop off in number of North Texas players still playing by their Junior year of college. Dose of reality for soccer parents.

http://www.txsoccer.info/t4894-94-class-in-college-soccer-updates
Soccernovice
Soccernovice
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkHorse 12/19/2013, 10:21 pm

Got tired head trying to read that thread. So, I guess my BB needs to curl up in a ball and go to sleep?

DarkHorse
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Se_la_perdio! 12/20/2013, 3:02 pm

Number13 wrote:
go99 wrote:
He is definitely a genius because I just looked up the ND roster and in there bios they are all listing a club affiliation along with high school.  Which means they are not just high school players. #mythbusted

Well, hell, my kid plays for a club.  Thats not the same as Academy.  Looking at the starters more had ODP on their bio then DA.  And EVERYBODY played multiple years of high school.  Most seemed to play every year of HS.  So whatever.    

Shipp:   ODP, DA, and HS
Casteele:  DA/HS
Mishu :  Just HS?
Lachowecki : ODP/HS
OMalley:  ODP/HS
Penken:  ODP/HS/DA?
Hodan:  ODP/HS
Cicciarelli:  HS/DA
Klekota:  HS/DA
Besler :  ODP/HS
Wall : ODP/HS/DA

The non-starters on roster were more heavily weighted towards non-DA.   ODP more of a big deal in other regions, high school too I suppose.  They got scouted from somewhere.  Whichever, they were largely little...smart...pale..guys.   Maybe there aren't enough of those to go around.
looking at the notre dame roster to compare the effectiveness of da vs high school/odp is probably not the best way of doing it.  you should probably try looking at the friso wakeland roster from their 2010 state championship year and compare it to any are da team from 2010 to see how many of those boys for each are playing soccer in college.

Se_la_perdio!
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibystander 12/21/2013, 10:39 am

Mine only played HS for one year, then decided to focus on school and PA.
If your kid wants to go to a certain college, just have him write to the college coaches and tell them what he has accomplished thus far and which big tournaments he will be playing in.
The coaches actually write back! We'll be at the Disney Showcase, and that usually attracts a lot of coaches.
So, HS or Academy, really doesn't matter. All roads can lead to Rome.
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/21/2013, 10:56 am

but if you only play HS you can be fairly sure the coach isn't going to take a trip down to watch your local HS game
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 12/21/2013, 7:34 pm

Se_la_perdio! wrote: looking at the notre dame roster to compare the effectiveness of da vs high school/odp is probably not the best way of doing it.  you should probably try looking at the friso wakeland roster from their 2010 state championship year and compare it to any are da team from 2010 to see how many of those boys for each are playing soccer in college.

I guess it depends what question you are trying to answer.

There are 4 DA clubs in U17-18. There are 60 CL teams in U17-U18. There are a whole hell of a lot of high schools. The density of talent is going to be higher in DA. Much higher than a single HS team. Higher than a D1 Classic League team. So picking one HS team (even if its the best) and one DA team is sampling 0.1% of the HS players and 25% of the DA players....which one do you think is going to have a more impressive list of colleges?

To me the questions are:

(a) Are all the best D1 kids playing DA?
(b) Does playing DA make you better?
(c) Does playing DA make you more likely to get recognized?

I would say:

(a) I doubt it
(b) Maybe
(c) Yes

Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 12/23/2013, 9:26 am

Number13 wrote:
Se_la_perdio! wrote: looking at the notre dame roster to compare the effectiveness of da vs high school/odp is probably not the best way of doing it.  you should probably try looking at the friso wakeland roster from their 2010 state championship year and compare it to any are da team from 2010 to see how many of those boys for each are playing soccer in college.

I guess it depends what question you are trying to answer.  

There are 4 DA clubs in U17-18.  There are 60 CL teams in U17-U18.  There are a whole hell of a lot of high schools.   The density of talent is going to be higher in DA.  Much higher than a single HS team.  Higher than a D1 Classic League team.  So picking one HS team (even if its the best) and one DA team is sampling 0.1% of the HS players and 25% of the DA players....which one do you think is going to have a more impressive list of colleges?  

To me the questions are:

(a) Are all the best D1 kids playing DA?
(b) Does playing DA make you better?
(c) Does playing DA make you more likely to get recognized?

I would say:

(a) I doubt it
(b) Maybe
(c) Yes

No, no and probably...

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 12/23/2013, 11:49 am

go99 wrote:but if you only play HS you can be fairly sure the coach isn't going to take a trip down to watch your local HS game
this has been confirmed but there is also that rare case  Cool 
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 12/24/2013, 1:09 pm

I have heard of a few cases where players did not play club yet still played collegiately. Although most good players play in other venues besides just high school. Adult/Hispanic leagues, futsal, etc.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 12/24/2013, 2:48 pm

omega striker wrote:
go99 wrote:but if you only play HS you can be fairly sure the coach isn't going to take a trip down to watch your local HS game

a lot of gifted high school players will guest play in show case tournaments to get in front of coaches
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 12/24/2013, 4:29 pm

soccerdadrandy wrote:
omega striker wrote:

a lot of gifted high school players will guest play in show case tournaments to get in front of coaches
thats all that matters and of course the "courting" process  Razz 
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Development Academies v. Classic/High School - Page 2 Empty Moving to Dallas

Post by amateursoccerfan1 12/26/2013, 9:23 am

We are moving to Dallas this summer and have a son that plays U16 club soccer and is in the ODP pool in NC. Can anyone give us some advice on the best clubs, training, and high schools (for both academics & soccer) in the area? We could live anywhere in the N. Dallas area and residency is also an option.

amateursoccerfan1
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by The German 3/14/2014, 4:56 pm

It appears that college coaches are not really looking at HS at least in the case of LCU.  Evil or Very Mad 
The German
The German
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 3/14/2014, 7:49 pm

The German wrote:It appears that college coaches are not really looking at HS at least in the case of LCU.  Evil or Very Mad 

what do you mean?
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by The German 3/14/2014, 7:55 pm

soccerdadrandy wrote:
The German wrote:It appears that college coaches are not really looking at HS at least in the case of LCU.  Evil or Very Mad 

what do you mean?
They started a thread for a college ID camp in every age group, futsal, academies and camps but HS hence no interest in HS players.  rabbit 
The German
The German
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 3/14/2014, 8:12 pm

The German wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:

what do you mean?
They started a thread for a college ID camp in every age group, futsal, academies and camps but HS hence no interest in HS players.  rabbit 

probably an oversight on their part. how many kids only play high school soccer and are not on a select team? i doubt many.
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Se_la_perdio! 3/14/2014, 8:45 pm

soccerdadrandy wrote:
The German wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:

what do you mean?

probably an oversight on their part. how many kids only play high school soccer and are not on a select team? i doubt many.

yea, just like his grammar.

Se_la_perdio!
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by futbolczarina 6/18/2014, 7:22 pm

We've hit almost every possible scenario: CL, HS, PA, DA. There is no perfect solution; it is contingent upon the best fit for the individual athlete.
One of my boys plays HS soccer for the sense of community. We find the coaches to be marginal, at best. Nice guys, just not very good--possibly former football players. HS soccer is good for the boy who wants to play up, and shine on the field.

This is a personal choice, that may change dynamically from year-to-year.

If your goal is for the athlete to be scouted, skip HS soccer and play DA. If it's to enjoy playing with his buddies, then either CL or HS is the solution.

futbolczarina
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by futbolczarina 6/18/2014, 7:23 pm

We've hit almost every possible scenario: CL, HS, PA, DA.  There is no perfect solution;  it is contingent upon the best fit for the individual athlete.
One of my boys plays HS soccer for the sense of community.  We find the coaches to be marginal, at best.  Nice guys, just not very good--possibly former football players.  HS soccer is good for the boy who wants to play up, and shine on the field.  

This is a personal choice, that may change dynamically from year-to-year.

If your goal is for the athlete to be scouted, skip HS soccer and play DA.  If it's to enjoy playing with his buddies, then either CL or HS is the solution.

futbolczarina
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next