Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL?

+25
Azzurri11
Aswan
bootit
DropAndSwitch
Prism
Speedy Gonzales
clueless
sad_dad
mrclean
twotone
gpoo
hoff1032
old soccer dad
CoachByb
THE NEEDLE
coachdom
finish1
happyfeet
Ibystander
irish86
cornerkick96
go99
soccerrus2
soccercap
onetenguy
29 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Empty Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL?

Post by onetenguy 3/30/2010, 10:45 pm

After all, the Jesuits don't play by the same rules as everyone else - no attendence zones, scholarships for players that can't afford their tuition, etc.

onetenguy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Empty Re: Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL?

Post by soccercap 3/30/2010, 11:22 pm

There is no question they do not. It is like a select team playing in a rec league. They can build the team they want, pay for it ( via scholarships) and recruit who they want. That is not fair and they should only play in private school league. Period !
soccercap
soccercap
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerrus2 3/31/2010, 6:45 am

onetenguy wrote:After all, the Jesuits don't play by the same rules as everyone else - no attendence zones, scholarships for players that can't afford their tuition, etc.
Bitter?

soccerrus2
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 3/31/2010, 7:04 am

scholorships are the big thing. There's a reason several players stayed with Jesuit instead of FCD juniors. Leaving the highschool team is not really and option when your education is hooked to it.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by onetenguy 3/31/2010, 7:36 am

soccerrus2 wrote:
onetenguy wrote:After all, the Jesuits don't play by the same rules as everyone else - no attendence zones, scholarships for players that can't afford their tuition, etc.
Bitter?
You bet. But really, what has Jesuit ever won? SL Carroll will take care of them on Saturday. Perhaps the El Paso team which has some real soccer skills instead of just being big, physical players will take them out on Friday.

onetenguy
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by cornerkick96 3/31/2010, 7:47 am

Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Grapes11
cornerkick96
cornerkick96
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Empty Same tired refrain...

Post by irish86 3/31/2010, 8:32 am

Blah, blah, blah. More than half of the Jesuit students receive some form of financial aid, and it's not tied to sports. Alumni giving makes it possible for many kids to attend that could not otherwise afford it. Go Rangers! Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Icon_cheers

irish86
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 3/31/2010, 8:44 am

I wonder if one of the star soccer players decided he was no longer going to play for the team would there be an understood, implied, or real effect on his scholorship?
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Empty Jesuit Financial Aid

Post by irish86 3/31/2010, 8:54 am

A decision not to play sports would have no impact on financial aid whatsoever. Same goes for a student that doesn't want to play in the band, be part of the Latin club, debate team, etc. The financial aid calculus is based on financial need, and in exchange for a tuition break most of the recipients are required to perform service to the school, such as working in the office/cafeteria etc. So it's not a true freebie.

irish86
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerrus2 3/31/2010, 9:00 am

onetenguy wrote:
soccerrus2 wrote:
Bitter?
You bet. But really, what has Jesuit ever won? SL Carroll will take care of them on Saturday. Perhaps the El Paso team which has some real soccer skills instead of just being big, physical players will take them out on Friday.
You are really bitter...doesn't say much for Marcus if they only had more physical players they would have won...come on! Marcus is a good team and you have fought with Jesuit multiple times over the last few years. The boys represented their school well.
I have argued over the advantages of Jesuit (TM and the DMN forums). The UIL have a similar agreement with Jesuit of Houston (Both teams still in it). Years ago a powerful Dallas attorney sued the UIL to allow Jesuit in because he had a son at the school and wanted him to play against the public schools. They have to document every student that comes in after the 8th grade in order to play athletics. Too much oppurtunity for violations. Personal belief is Jesuit does have an unfair advantage with a potential recruiting tool, but so does Carroll. How does a 25K population city with the highest per capita income produce so many State competitive teams? Hmmm..compare it to Flower Mound at almost 70K, Plano 220K, Arlington 370K??

soccerrus2
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 3/31/2010, 9:47 am

irish86 wrote:A decision not to play sports would have no impact on financial aid whatsoever. Same goes for a student that doesn't want to play in the band, be part of the Latin club, debate team, etc. The financial aid calculus is based on financial need, and in exchange for a tuition break most of the recipients are required to perform service to the school, such as working in the office/cafeteria etc. So it's not a true freebie.
Can't speak for jesuit and I am sure it was a happy coincidence to have scholorshiped students turn out to be soccer stars. I do know of a girls private school who suggested that the parents bring their daughter to their school and that they would be able to give her a scholorship. I am sure Jesuit is all above board and hopefully some untalented kids also get the financial need scholorships. The fact still reamains that it is an advantadge over public schools. Maybe if southlake or some other district could go to S Dallas and offer a kid free rides to and from school, etc. But as it stands they are stuck with whatever lives in the district.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibystander 3/31/2010, 10:01 am

cornerkick96 wrote:

Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Grapes11
Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Lol Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Lol Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Lol Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Lol
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by happyfeet 3/31/2010, 10:03 am

irish86 wrote:A decision not to play sports would have no impact on financial aid whatsoever. Same goes for a student that doesn't want to play in the band, be part of the Latin club, debate team, etc. The financial aid calculus is based on financial need, and in exchange for a tuition break most of the recipients are required to perform service to the school, such as working in the office/cafeteria etc. So it's not a true freebie.
With a name like "irish86" it's easy to see why you are a Jesuit defender! Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Icon_wink
happyfeet
happyfeet
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 3/31/2010, 10:19 am

happyfeet wrote:
With a name like "irish86" it's easy to see why you are a Jesuit defender! Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Icon_wink

If you are Anglo and have been living in this country for more than a few generations, you're Irish somewhere, if you're lucky!
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by coachdom 3/31/2010, 10:22 am

Jesuit also gives scholarships to students who play football, basketball, and baseball. If you think they are dominating in those sports, you are crazy.
coachdom
coachdom
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by THE NEEDLE 3/31/2010, 10:37 am

go99 wrote:
Can't speak for jesuit and I am sure it was a happy coincidence to have scholorshiped students turn out to be soccer stars. I do know of a girls private school who suggested that the parents bring their daughter to their school and that they would be able to give her a scholorship. I am sure Jesuit is all above board and hopefully some untalented kids also get the financial need scholorships. The fact still reamains that it is an advantadge over public schools. Maybe if southlake or some other district could go to S Dallas and offer a kid free rides to and from school, etc. But as it stands they are stuck with whatever lives in the district.
Southlake is not a good example for making your case.
THE NEEDLE
THE NEEDLE
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibystander 3/31/2010, 10:38 am

coachdom wrote:Jesuit also gives scholarships to students who play football, basketball, and baseball. If you think they are dominating in those sports, you are crazy.
I thought they didn't offer athletics, nor academic scholarships? On their web site, it says only financial need scholarships.
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 3/31/2010, 10:42 am

So they are giving scholorships to athletes? Southlake is a good school district that's all. Could be used as a draw to lure kids. Okay let's say an RISD school offers to allow kids to leave DISD and provide their transportation to and from school. As a parent from a bad district it would make sense to take the offer.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by coachdom 3/31/2010, 10:47 am

go99 wrote:So they are giving scholorships to athletes? Southlake is a good school district that's all. Could be used as a draw to lure kids. Okay let's say an RISD school offers to allow kids to leave DISD and provide their transportation to and from school. As a parent from a bad district it would make sense to take the offer.

There are 11 sports at Jesuit. Many of the students, financial aid or not, play one sport or another. Here is the list of official sports. They also have a hockey team, which is not a UIL recognized sport.

Baseball
Basketball
Cheerleading
Crew
Cross Country
Football
Lacrosse
Power Lifting
Rugby
Soccer
Swimming/Diving
coachdom
coachdom
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 3/31/2010, 10:50 am

Ibystander wrote:
coachdom wrote:Jesuit also gives scholarships to students who play football, basketball, and baseball. If you think they are dominating in those sports, you are crazy.
I thought they didn't offer athletics, nor academic scholarships? On their web site, it says only financial need scholarships.
I would guess that if you are an athlete with a financial need you can get one of thoses needs scholorships. If you are poor with a great personality and wonderful smile, probably less so.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by cornerkick96 3/31/2010, 10:53 am

This is a good point - if Jesuit was all about dominating athletics why would they pick arguably the 4th most popular sport (or maybe 5th if you count track & field). I think the reason soccer might benefit so much is that the academic nature of the school fits well with the academic nature of the sport. It seems in many cases that student-athletes who are playing soccer seem to be at the higher end of the academic success ladder compared with those in other sports (don't have stats to back it up, just seems that way to me). A school like Jesuit I'm sure has strict academic standards required for admission so they probably naturally have a larger pool of soccer athletes to pick from.

If Coppell, Marcus, and other schools want revenge for soccer it is easy - just schedule Jesuit in football.
cornerkick96
cornerkick96
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by coachdom 3/31/2010, 10:59 am

go99 wrote:
Ibystander wrote:
I would guess that if you are an athlete with a financial need you can get one of thoses needs scholorships. If you are poor with a great personality and wonderful smile, probably less so.

I can't believe this is a serious discussion. You don't hear this much complaining about student scholArships in the other sports. Besides, this is high school soccer. Club soccer gets you into college, not high school.
coachdom
coachdom
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 3/31/2010, 11:04 am

cornerkick96 wrote:

This is a good point - if Jesuit was all about dominating athletics why would they pick arguably the 4th most popular sport (or maybe 5th if you count track & field). I think the reason soccer might benefit so much is that the academic nature of the school fits well with the academic nature of the sport. It seems in many cases that student-athletes who are playing soccer seem to be at the higher end of the academic success ladder compared with those in other sports (don't have stats to back it up, just seems that way to me). A school like Jesuit I'm sure has strict academic standards required for admission so they probably naturally have a larger pool of soccer athletes to pick from.

If Coppell, Marcus, and other schools want revenge for soccer it is easy - just schedule Jesuit in football.

Cornerkicker aren't you the troublemaker! Trying to draw a line between mental aptitude and sports choices. Them thars fightin words round these here parts! Them BFS boys er gonna git ya!!! Just a point to clarify, soccer is the #1 participation sport in America by volume in youth sports. That #4, #5 point is fading quickly and the neighsayers are grasping the ledge by their fingertips. It's ok, I'm there to catch their fall with a den of alligators!
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by CoachByb 3/31/2010, 11:07 am

Deleting. Should go back to my policy of reading and not responding. Have fun.

Last edited by CoachByb on 3/31/2010, 3:57 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Common Sense)

CoachByb
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Do the Jesuits belong in the UIL? Empty Jesuit

Post by irish86 3/31/2010, 12:35 pm

I'm "guilty" as charged. Had the pleasure of playing for Charlie for three years @ Jesuit in the pre-UIL days.

irish86
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next