Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Importance of Linesmen Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Importance of Linesmen

+8
Blitzed
gpoo
clueless
finish1
go99
Armadillo
Crochet
mrclean
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Importance of Linesmen Empty Importance of Linesmen

Post by mrclean 4/11/2010, 7:34 am

First of all, I understand that gaining advantage from being in an offside position is a judgement call. The best answer is that you are offside if the referee says you are offside.

However, with that said. How many of you saw games decided when defenders either stepped up for a trap or just left an attacker in offside position only to have the ball PLAYED to that attacker who then scores a goal? This happened this year with both of my boys teams. Both teams are a win away from moving up a division.

I have no problem with a player offside in a crowded box, but when a defender intentionally leaves a player in offside position only to have this turned into a headstart on a breakaway, it is unfortunate.

I realize that the problem is usually due to the fact that te linesman IS HUMAN. Their eyes get tired in the wind and sun and they will not see everything. That's just part of the game. Basically, here is what I would like to see. When centers see that their linesmen are either not into it or they are not sure about their decisions. PLEASE do what you can to help them improve.

Just curious, if anyone else saw a game winner on a blown offside call?
mrclean
mrclean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Importance of Linesmen Empty Re: Importance of Linesmen

Post by Crochet 4/11/2010, 8:35 am

Actually, I saw both of the games you are referring to. In both cases, the player was not in an offside position at the moment the ball was struck. The linesman in both cases made the right call.
I'm also curious. Has anyone else seen games lost and opportunities to advance to a higher division wasted because of a coach's ill-advised efforts to utilize an offside trap on set-plays?
Crochet
Crochet
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadillo 4/11/2010, 9:09 am

In both of these games were you standing directly behind the linesman at the time so you had the exact view they had or were you 10 or 15 yards away/ Also, how long have you been a referee?
Armadillo
Armadillo
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrclean 4/11/2010, 9:23 am

Armadillo,
You saw the u17 game where the other team's parents laughed and said "Wow, we got lucky on that one". Hmm. I think the parents on the other team disagree with you on that one. Now, I'm not being sour grapes here. There are 80 minutes to win or lose a game. I'm just saying that the centers need to encourage their linesman to pay attention and don't get caught being so lazy that you are 30 yards out of position. I agree with you on not running a trap on set plays. it is easy to beat that IF THE LINESMAN is paying attention to know which players were still onside when the ball is kicked. I have seen that botched many times this season too. We have all probably benefitted on those calls where the player receiving the pass wasn't in offside position, but they call it anyways.

BTW we have some VERY good referees in the league. I know they must be frustrated with some of the linesmen that they are assigned. All I am saying is do what you can to ENCOURAGE them to stay in position and help them to know what to look for. It isn't easy. My son has had many good referees advise him on how to improve. Notice I am asking for these referees to be encouraged and taught. Not belittled. Not fired. Encouraged.

Crochet,
I agree with your point. Another reason to agree with my first sentence. But linesmen talking to someone, watching other games, not staying around the line of defense but instead being 30 yards out of position. Hmm, you're defending this?
mrclean
mrclean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 4/11/2010, 9:24 am

That's the risk of playing the offsides trap. If you do not get the call you have just let a defender in behind you.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 4/11/2010, 9:30 am

There is a problem with all of our refs and it is not the offsides rule. The play here is allowed to be waaay to aggressive. Defenders are reckless, overly aggressive and unskilled in their challenges. Because the fouls are not called the kids grow up notknowing what is a foul is and isn't.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by mrclean 4/11/2010, 9:39 am

I agree on that also. Maybe if the referees weren't working so hard to keep the game from turning into a brawl they wouldn't get as mentally and physically fatigued. When the game is reckless and you have players running into each other, it is pretty hard to decipher who was at fault. That is why some refs let it go. They figure if that's how they want to treat their bodies, oh well.

High school coaches especially need to teach the proper way to close on an attacker with a good defensive stance and how and when to make a deliberate tackle. Currently, the game of soccer could easily have for it's soundtrack that song that says "Let the bodies hit the floor". Although it might seem exciting to our adolescents who are under the influence of testosterone, it is the cause of a lot of expensive injuries and fights.
mrclean
mrclean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 4/11/2010, 11:05 am

I have no problem with the tactical use of the offside trap. It's fun to see player's like Messi disect it with precision. He pushes the line back as far as possible and stands toe to heel with the defender. His breaks on a through ball are legendary.

Offisides inside the goalie box can be a tricky call for a linesman when there are 18 pairs of feet playing pinball between the posts. The ball bounces around so quickly it is very difficult to keep pace with who touched it last. Let alone the decifer of whether or not it was a pass before the final strike. Which, in turn, would create cause for the linesman to raise his flag.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Crochet 4/11/2010, 12:22 pm

mrclean wrote:
Crochet,
I agree with your point. Another reason to agree with my first sentence. But linesmen talking to someone, watching other games, not staying around the line of defense but instead being 30 yards out of position. Hmm, you're defending this?
I always defend Classic League referees. My experience is that overall they know the game, are well experienced, focus on the game, and make a solid effort to keep up with the game and stay in position. Are they perfect? Of course not.
As to your situation, if indeed the linesman was "30 yards out of position" on a set play I agree that is a problem. But I really doubt that is the case, as I've never seen a Classic league linesman 30 yards out of position on a set piece where the ball will likely be placed near the goal. They know to be in line with the last defender.
And contrary to my sarcasm, I wasnt there so I dont know. Just skeptical whenever I hear complaints that referees cost a game.
Crochet
Crochet
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 4/11/2010, 2:37 pm

That's the problem I have with this type of post, the 'referee cost us the game' attitude. Do they miss calls? Sure. Could they enforce fouls more aggressively? Probably. Do they cost games? Unlikely - there is not a game where a noncalled handball in the box couldn't have ended differently due to something else that happened in that game (as mentioned earlier - there are XX more minutes in the game). When a kid missed a pass that would have resulted in a 'certain' goal...games are full of could have/would have situations, that's what makes it fun.
I was watching an academy game (youngsters) - ended 0-0, shot taken just after whistle (went into goal, everyone cheered, but figured out immediately it didn't count as the game was over). The coach argued that it should count - how on earth can the game not be over, when time is over (assuming no stoppage)? Watch most coaches when these questionable offside calls are made - they will likely complain for a minute and then they are over it. They don't walk away thinking the referee cost them the game (the majority of them, that is). They might walk away thinking the referee was horrible, but usually not that they cost the game.
If a call was crucial in a promotion game, that's a tough deal, if it's in a potential relegation game, well....what happened the rest of the year?
The offside trap isn't much different than pulling on a jersey - sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrclean 4/11/2010, 6:39 pm

I certainly didn't mean to sound like I am criticizing referees. My comments were more tactical in nature of what to teach defenders. My sons were taught to push up quickly. In fact, I have seen coaches pull defenders off the field for not getting up the field quickly. After seeing a few (not many) missed calls, I'm not sure I am comfortable leaving an attacker in offside position. Sometimes the consequence of stepping up can be severe.

Again, wasn't blaming a loss solely on a missed call and no criticism intended. I am a little concerned about the referees being placed on such a high pedestal that they are no longer encouraged to be consistent. Consistency regarding what is a foul, caution, or dissent really does need to be improved. It's just as confusing as Calculus 3 trying to figure it out at times. I think the level of play would improve when players learn what is acceptable play and conduct.
mrclean
mrclean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 4/11/2010, 9:18 pm

mrclean wrote:I certainly didn't mean to sound like I am criticizing referees. My comments were more tactical in nature of what to teach defenders. My sons were taught to push up quickly. In fact, I have seen coaches pull defenders off the field for not getting up the field quickly. After seeing a few (not many) missed calls, I'm not sure I am comfortable leaving an attacker in offside position. Sometimes the consequence of stepping up can be severe.

Again, wasn't blaming a loss solely on a missed call and no criticism intended. I am a little concerned about the referees being placed on such a high pedestal that they are no longer encouraged to be consistent. Consistency regarding what is a foul, caution, or dissent really does need to be improved. It's just as confusing as Calculus 3 trying to figure it out at times. I think the level of play would improve when players learn what is acceptable play and conduct.

If the outcome of a game is dependant on the linseman, the coaches game plan wasn't executed to it's potential. The only match where a ref is placed on a high pedestal is tennis. Consitency shouldn't be encouraged, it should be required. Regarding player/ref (mis)conduct, set the DC SG Final as the benchmark.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by gpoo 4/11/2010, 9:20 pm

mrclean wrote:First of all, I understand that gaining advantage from being in an offside position is a judgement call. The best answer is that you are offside if the referee says you are offside.

Short answer, absolutely. The sleepy eyed kid at an 8:00 a.m. match that misses and misses the call. Ughhh!

I'm not sure why it's call the off-sides "trap". It's soccer. You can't allow the offense to linger in your end so you push up. After all forwards are generally a lazy bunch and would rather just hang around your 18 and wait around for the ball. Why would you want to accommodate that?
gpoo
gpoo
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 4/11/2010, 9:29 pm

gpoo wrote:
mrclean wrote:First of all, I understand that gaining advantage from being in an offside position is a judgement call. The best answer is that you are offside if the referee says you are offside.

Short answer, absolutely. The sleepy eyed kid at an 8:00 a.m. match that misses and misses the call. Ughhh!

I'm not sure why it's call the off-sides "trap". It's soccer. You can't allow the offense to linger in your end so you push up. After all forwards are generally a lazy bunch and would rather just hang around your 18 and wait around for the ball. Why would you want to accommodate that?

I used pushed up so far, all my friends were goalies. Hang around tell a few jokes, create a distraction, then boom, rip a hole in it.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blitzed 4/11/2010, 11:34 pm

mrclean wrote:

Offsides can be a difficult call and there is no doubt there are numerous errors with this call. However, In my experience, many times if not most times, the person who has a problem with offsides not being called doesn't understand that the player must be onside when the ball is kicked not when the ball is received.

Blitzed
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by twotone 4/12/2010, 12:34 am

since when do U17s play 80 minutes? if i were a coach, i'd have a bigger issue with losing out on 10 whole minutes of the match than any single offside call, missed or not. U17s and above are 45 minute halves, right?

i really have a problem with coaches blaming referees for the "outcome of the game" call. i understand that the refs have a important part in the game, but they are there for both teams to deal with. a coach should be worried with his own team. how about your player that turned the ball over at midfield that led to the goal? or the wide mid that hasnt pushed up with the defense and held the attacker onside for the match-winning goal? or the coach that made the tactical mistake by putting in a player at center mid that isnt as technical as another? is it really always the referees fault? methinks not!!!

twotone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by happyfeet 4/12/2010, 7:17 am

If anybody ever has issues with CL refs, just drive over to Russell Creek and watch a few PPL games. I was watching a friend's son and witnessed the worst reffing I have ever seen. The game ended up with 3 red cards and 6 yellow. No control whatsoever. Yikes.
happyfeet
happyfeet
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 4/12/2010, 7:52 am

A ref can and does set the tone early in a match by making calls and issuing warnings. The older kids will press a ref to see what they can get away with. A push here, an elbow there. On the ball and off. Whenever you see a game with lots of cards, the ref has let the player's emotions get out of control. I saw a CL game earlier this Spring where the refs got into it on the sideline at halftime. That game got out of control quickly in the second half because the kids picked up on the dissension. Overall, I am satisfied with the refs in CL this year.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by b0013 4/13/2010, 11:11 am

Think I figured this while ref thing out after last nights game....

Quick counter attack, forward takes close shot that hits defender as he is slipping and falling to the ground. Defender gets called for hand ball in box that results in pk..simple enough right..?

Nope.. some parents yelled that there was NO hand ball and that the ball hit defenders face as he slipped and fell while cutting back. Others thought defender was only protecting his face from a shot as he was falling and call should not have been made at all as completely unintentional. Others thought it was an intentional block of the hands.

Just saying..everyone see's things a little differently. Ref's are human.

Last edited by b0013 on 4/13/2010, 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
b0013
b0013
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 4/13/2010, 11:34 am

b0013 wrote:Think I figured this while ref thing out after last nights game....

Forward takes close shot that hits defender as he is slipping and falling to the ground. Defender gets called for hand ball in box that results in pk..simple enough right..?

Nope.. some parents yelled that there was NO hand ball and that the ball hit defenders face as he slipped and fell while cutting back. Others thought defender was only protecting his face from a shot as he was falling and call should not have been made at all as completely unintentional. Others thought it was an intentional block of the hands.

If a ref's call determines the outcome, the game plan was not fully executed.
It was a great night for soccer. Terrific sunset, slight breeze comfortable temperatures and an exciting game. It seemed like the fields got slippery around sunset as I saw a few players lose their footing.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by b0013 4/13/2010, 11:45 am

finish1 wrote:

Forward takes close shot that hits defender as he is slipping and falling to the ground. Defender gets called for hand ball in box that results in pk..simple enough right..?

It was a great night for soccer. Terrific sunset, slight breeze comfortable temperatures and an exciting game. It seemed like the fields got slippery around sunset as I saw a few players lose their footing.

This is a thread about ref calls, not about last night's game.. I was only using the example as to how people that see that same play...see it differently.

Read my post again..I did not comment if the call was right or wrong last night...besides, the pk was blocked by the keeper, so game was not determined by that play..
b0013
b0013
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 4/13/2010, 12:56 pm

b0013 wrote:
finish1 wrote:

This is a thread about ref calls, not about last night's game.. I was only using the example as to how people that see that same play...see it differently.

Read my post again..I did not comment if the call was right or wrong last night...besides, the pk was blocked by the keeper, so game was not determined by that play..

Glad you mentioned your post. I found it very difficult to get past the first sentence. I'm sure it makes perfect sense to you, but its pure gibberish. My first statement is in regards to ref calls (nod to topic). Next, I waxed poetic about last evening's ambience. I finished with another general statement regarding footing. In all, I consider my post clear, concise and accurate. I made no reference to whatever game you spoke of, which, by your own admission is "off topic." Good luck on your future posts. I hope you're not a linesman (see how I brought it all back around to topic?).
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by happyfeet 4/13/2010, 2:45 pm

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are!
happyfeet
happyfeet
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 4/13/2010, 5:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD4xwK13lGk&feature=related
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by mrclean 4/13/2010, 7:49 pm

Actually, the reason I started yelling that it hit his face was from an idea I got from my older son's game a few years back. Their team was attempting to defend a packed goal box where the ball kept bouncing to the other team. My son dove head first to successfully block a shot with his face. About 5 seconds later, they take another shot and he dives again and blocks it with his face again. By then the parents are laughing because we couldn't believe he was using his face ( cautionable by the way ). Then almost the same kind of thing happened and it was hard to tell if it was his hand or his face, but the ref called a hand ball. The coach immediately shouted "Referee! He doesn't use his hands or feet. He uses his face!" It was hilarious.

As soon as the ref made that call, I was hoping he might reverse it if there was a mark on his face. Nope, it hit his arms. On the way home, me and my two boys had three different opinions. The guilty defender thought that it shouldn't have been called because he didn't have time to move his arm. My older son who is also a referee said he wouldn't have called it because he didn't reach out to hit the ball and that it probably would have hit his body instead. I argued that it should have been a PK because it did hit his arm and it prevented a goal. Even in the same family on the same team, we had three different opinions.
mrclean
mrclean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum