Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Life After Soccer for those that didnt make it Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Life After Soccer for those that didnt make it

+7
Laimport
caatffm
tpitty
Soccerinsanity
Marvelousmar
Rightback
PitchBound
11 posters

Go down

Life After Soccer for those that didnt make it Empty Life After Soccer for those that didnt make it

Post by PitchBound 10/2/2014, 12:03 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2214340-dreams-to-dust-life-after-football-for-the-future-stars-who-never-made-it?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_c4

PitchBound
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Life After Soccer for those that didnt make it Empty Re: Life After Soccer for those that didnt make it

Post by Rightback 10/2/2014, 6:50 pm

Good stuff...thanks for posting

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Life After Soccer for those that didnt make it Empty Re: Life After Soccer for those that didnt make it

Post by Marvelousmar 10/2/2014, 7:19 pm

I was looking for something interesting to post about and Just couldn't find anything on this site that got my attention. Then my man Soccer Coach put something out there I could read. Thanks man. This was a great read.
Marvelousmar
Marvelousmar
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PitchBound 10/2/2014, 10:36 pm

No problem guys, just KEEPING IT REAL cheers cheers

PitchBound
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 10/3/2014, 9:16 am

For all the posters that always say why do US players go to college instead of only concentrating on pro? Here's the answer!
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by tpitty 10/3/2014, 9:18 am

Solid read.
tpitty
tpitty
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by caatffm 10/3/2014, 10:46 am

Good stuff to read. Thanks for sharing.
caatffm
caatffm
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 10/3/2014, 2:22 pm

Good article.

Interesting that all of these guys got an education and found success after their playing careers.

Contrast that with the typical American parents' perspective on pursuing a professional playing career.

None of these guys seemed resentful of giving it a shot. And by and large didn't blame the world for their shortcomings...

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by childplease! 10/3/2014, 2:34 pm

Laimport wrote:Good article.

Interesting that all of these guys got an education and found success after their playing careers.

Contrast that with the typical American parents' perspective on pursuing a professional playing career.

None of these guys seemed resentful of giving it a shot. And by and large didn't blame the world for their shortcomings...

Agreed.

I sent this article to both of my BBs.
Thanks for sharing.

childplease!
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/3/2014, 3:14 pm

i hope parents will read this and realize 99.9 of the players in NTX will never even make it as far as he did...and just enjoy their kids and the beautiful game they play

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprint 10/3/2014, 3:29 pm

soccerisgood123 wrote:i hope parents will read this and realize 99.9 of the players in NTX will never even make it as far as he did...and just enjoy their kids and the beautiful game they play

That is what I was thinking. These actually seem like guys that made it. One of them was playing with Beckham, Giggs Scholes. They didn't last long or stick, but they had more than a cup of coffee. They achieved what less than 1% ever do and got out and found real jobs and moved on in life. Seem like success stories.

Always thought Scholes seemed a little nutz. The quotes from the coach telling the guy he should have been a hurdler because he jumped every tackle, and he couldn't head a bus queue were pretty good.

Sprint
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 10/3/2014, 3:53 pm

Soccerisgood123: I totally agree. A player should love the game for what it's worth. If possible for a player; take your DIII soccer offer and enjoy college while playing the sport you love while obtaining an education.

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 10/6/2014, 8:43 am

Club/HSparent wrote:Soccerisgood123: I totally agree. A player should love the game for what it's worth. If possible for a player; take your DIII soccer offer and enjoy college while playing the sport you love while obtaining an education.

Good point.

Couple of points to consider:

1. Even the vast majority of professional players rarely make enough money to walk away financially set for life after their careers are over. Although quite a few can and do end up having careers in the game after they retire. (Coaching/scouting or even the business side.)

2. The game doesn't have to end completely after college. There are still opportunities to play on some level as an amateur. Soccer is and can be a "lifetime sport." Nothing wrong with using soccer as a vehicle to obtain an education. It has given thousands an opportunity to get an education they otherwise may not have without playing the game.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 10/6/2014, 10:21 am

Laimport wrote:
Club/HSparent wrote:Soccerisgood123: I totally agree. A player should love the game for what it's worth. If possible for a player; take your DIII soccer offer and enjoy college while playing the sport you love while obtaining an education.

Good point.

Couple of points to consider:

1. Even the vast majority of professional players rarely make enough money to walk away financially set for life after their careers are over. Although quite a few can and do end up having careers in the game after they retire. (Coaching/scouting or even the business side.)

2. The game doesn't have to end  completely after college. There are still opportunities to play on some level as an amateur. Soccer is and can be a "lifetime sport." Nothing wrong with using soccer as a vehicle to obtain an education. It has given thousands an opportunity to get an education they otherwise may not have without playing the game.

and for every soccer player that DOES NOT secure a scholarship, there are AT LEAST that many basketball and football players in the same boat. JUST ENJOY THE GAME!!!! bounce bounce
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 10/6/2014, 11:14 am

soccerdadrandy: TOTALLY AGREE.

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 10/7/2014, 9:16 am

Soccerinsanity wrote:For all the posters that always say why do US players go to college instead of only concentrating on pro?  Here's the answer!  

I understand your point.

However, it depends on the individual.

Let's say, hypothetically, that a player that is part of an MLS academy and has been in the ynt system and gets offered a homegrown contract. It makes more sense for that player to pursue a professional track..assuming he is offered the chance.

Or, a player is offered the chance to go abroad and finish up at a reputable academy setup.

Granted, we are talking about a handful of players.

Or a collegiate underclassman is offered a Generation Adidas contract.

For the overwhelming majority, going to play in college is certainly the safer option.

Either way, I would advise any young player to pursue higher education even if the odds of them having a legit professional career were in their favor. It may require some unconventional methods, but it can (and has) been done.

Just a couple of examples. Ruud van Nistelroy played in the lower leagues while obtaining a business degree. Didier Drogba got his accounting degree while playing semi professionally.

The problem in the states is that there isn't a true pyramid with interconnected levels of play. We have college soccer at varying levels along with basically 'summer leagues' to supplement. (PDL, NPSL, etc.)

A handful of young players have gone the 'minor league' route straight out of youth/hs soccer. The money these players earn probably doesn't compare favorably to what they could possibly earn in scholarship dollars. (Academic, needs based and athletic money. Assuming they are quality student athletes.)

The talent pool in college soccer is highly diluted as well. Whereas in the minor pro leagues, the talent level is more concentrated and likely much more competitive. (Which most will argue impacts player development.) There are collegiate players outside of d1 that are certainly capable of playing d1 college soccer. Yet they chose their respective schools based on other factors. (Cost, academics, etc.)

Outside of the maybe the top 20-25 d1 programs, there isn't much difference (especially technically and tactically) between the bottom half of d1 and the other divisions. I'd put a top 10 d2, top 5 d3 and the top naia programs up against the majority of d1 programs. But that's fodder for another thread.

The lesson to be learned here is that every player should prepare themselves for life outside of and after football. Whether that ends at age 18, 23 or 35.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down