Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

The end of the road...College soccer? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

The end of the road...College soccer?

+11
SnookumsConCarne
Sprint
Maradona
soccerdadrandy
Club/HSparent
Rightback
Number13
finish1
Reality Check
Laimport
earbucket
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The end of the road...College soccer? Empty The end of the road...College soccer?

Post by earbucket 12/4/2014, 10:54 am

There may be many reasons that your son plays soccer. For mine, it is because he enjoys playing. He's now at a stage where he may be good enough to play college soccer in next few years. I know nothing of college soccer and so wish to educate myself.

Linked is an article describing how college soccer is more or less a brick wall in soccer development. The author makes valid points such as--

"We already know, beyond the possibility of any doubt, that four years of college soccer during the crucial 18-22 years age period is far more likely to retard a boy’s soccer growth than to advance it."

The most insightful discussion comes from the comments.

"Sorry to say, but a young American player CANNOT make any money pursuing an MLS dream, and their parents certainly have to spend a lot of money fighting for one. In the end, most Am soccer dreams become very personal nightmares, and Rejection for a young player is devastating. The deck is sooo stacked against young Am players! With the MLS sucking up players from South & Central Am at reduced wage rates, there are NO SLOTS open for most promising Am college players, let alone, talented U-18 players. 10 GA slots make for no movement in this regard. The other US pro leagues pay young players close to nothing...so parents have to supplement income. Watching the top boy's youth soccer programs over the past ten years shows that college soccer is where most of these players should go. It is not about their soccer talent, it is about their wage earning opportunities. They have no choice... Parents paying for countless coach's looksie tournaments & European excursions present more questions than answers. European youth soccer has its own problems, and basis education is one of them. For young Am players, giving up college for MLS's half-hearted promise of consideration is not fair to them. College application deadlines require commitment, and waiting on "just one more tournament or tryout" ends up being ludicrous. Our family went through all of this stuff, including Youth National Championships, ODP Championships, DA, College Championships, MLS Combines, pro rosters, etc. Luckily, hiding from reality was not something our family did. We faced it all, with a tremendously productive player, and watched as he came to realistic conclusions... no one can afford to play pro soccer for free. I will say that what the DA has become is a tremendous recruiting tool for college coaches. It is the "new" ODP concept, with many more coaches getting the opportunity to sell their prospects to Division 1 colleges. Not even DA coaches can get Am players into MLS in any #s...sorry."

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/56234/development-academy-players-hit-college-roadblock.html

earbucket
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

The end of the road...College soccer? Empty Re: The end of the road...College soccer?

Post by Laimport 12/4/2014, 11:41 am

Great topic. And it needs to be discussed. I read this article a while back.

It wasn't that long ago that I thought that if my son wanted to pursue "professional soccer" that college wasn't the way to go about it. of course, I also wondered why so many American parents had the seemingly narrow minded view that "college soccer" was/is the end game. Anything else is just a bonus.

There are some harsh realities to comprehend. First, the "college recruiting" process for mens soccer is largely a joke. Just a continuation of the money grab that is the youth game. My son is a junior and is going through the process.

It's largely been emails from college coaches "inviting" him to their camps. Which, of course, cost money. Not to mention there isn't enough time to attend most of these camps.

Then there's the cost of attending/playing in these college "showcases". We know what the clubs, coaches, tournament hosts get out of these venues. But, in the end it comes down to money. Does the player actually benefit?

Depends on perspective I guess. Soccer can be a venue for a student/athlete to subsidize the cost of their education. Or to gain acceptance to a school they otherwise may not have.

I will say that college soccer, as it exists now is NOT ideal for the aspiring professional player. But that can be fixed.

Then there's the structure of MLS. Unlike other sports, college underclassmen cannot declare themselves eligible for the draft. Yeah, there are GA contracts for a selected handful. Mostly for MLS academy grads that spent a year or two playing college ball.

The perception of most D1 college coaches is that the DA has the ripest fruit. That, along with getting as many foreign players with pro academy credentials.

But perception isn't always reality. Rarely, in fact.

So, for the most ambitious players (whether they have potential or not) college soccer becomes the default choice for the next level of play.

Until the US has a true pyramid, complete with promotion/relegation, interconnected leagues, college soccer will continue to be the next step.

College soccer is not so much the problem as it is a symptom of a diseased system. Unlike elsewhere in the footballing world, there isn't a vast network of professional scouts covering the entire country. A player with potential from say, Alabama is not going to be approached and recruited by say, the Dynamo or Sporting KC to come live and train/play with their academy. In other words, it's not a true meritocracy.

So, the main reason most nonDA players from smaller markets end up at nonD1 programs is largely due to the fact that few, if any D1 coaches actually are going to see them play. There's definitely a built in bias that favors players from big clubs/DA.

Ironically more than a few of these DA players end up at non D1 programs as well.

If a young player can actually benefit from playing college soccer (financially, personally, academically, etc.) then I would suggest not selecting a school based on the (perceived) quality of the soccer program alone.

Most of all, continue to play the game because you are passionate and would be miserable at the thought of not playing.

Which of course further fuels the youth soccer $$$ machine.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

The end of the road...College soccer? Empty Re: The end of the road...College soccer?

Post by Reality Check 12/11/2014, 6:14 am

LA after reading thru many of your past post you seem to be on the same level as the other wisemen on this forum, you seem to not be apart of the majority which is in denial but yet are experts Rolling Eyes and you dont post whore like one who apparently packed his bags in search of gold but will soon find out it was all a myth Crying or Very sad

Reality Check
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 12/11/2014, 7:52 am

To be a rock and not to roll
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 12/11/2014, 9:14 am

Reality Check wrote:LA after reading thru many of your past post you seem to be on the same level as the other wisemen on this forum, you seem to not be apart of the majority which is in denial but yet are experts Rolling Eyes  and you dont post whore like one who apparently packed his bags in search of gold but will soon find out it was all a myth Crying or Very sad

Not sure I understand what you mean.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 12/11/2014, 12:34 pm

I was assuming Reality Check was complimenting Laimport.  Signed, Post Whore.

Finish, not sure about you, but I am going to go back to buying a stairway to soccer heaven.   Will see if there is a bustle in my hedgerow or not.   In the long run, there's still time to change the road I'm on. If there is a piper calling me to join him he's probably a Romanian or Persian.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 12/11/2014, 1:55 pm

Yeah, I guess I had a 'pre-senior moment'.

13, you have a great sense of humor. Get the Led out....

Now, on a more relevant note, college soccer is what it is. Supposedly reform is coming...at least partially.

If college soccer can partially fund a student's education, or gain acceptance into a school that otherwise wouldn't then great!

College soccer really isn't the end of the road. There are some pretty competitive adult leagues out there.

I remember a couple of years back that made a good run against MLS teams...Cal FC.

The advice I give to my son or anyone else...play the game as long as you can and at the highest level you can. That is assuming the person wants to.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Reality Check 12/11/2014, 2:16 pm

Number13 wrote:I was assuming Reality Check was complimenting Laimport.  Signed, Post Whore.

Finish, not sure about you, but I am going to go back to buying a stairway to soccer heaven.   Will see if there is a bustle in my hedgerow or not.   In the long run, there's still time to change the road I'm on.  If there is a piper calling me to join him he's probably a Romanian or Persian.
yes complimenting LAimport hes not the obvvious post whore i was reffering to Wink

hey when was the last time romania or a persian team played in a world cup?

Reality Check
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rightback 12/11/2014, 3:15 pm

Why would i want my kid to aspire to play professional soccer? The post earlier today pointed out...that of the ,000's of kids who are playing in NTx, 1, count em, 1 was selected for the U15 national squad. We keep talking like, for most kids, this is going somewhere...it is just a game...that i want them to love like i love it...so few get to do anything outside of that. Nothing wrong with the aspiration, and i am sure all of your kids are Messi. jrs., but for me...i am OK if he plays with his buddies growing up and has great memories of a game he got really good at playing...

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 12/11/2014, 3:28 pm

Rightback wrote:Why would i want my kid to aspire to play professional soccer? The post earlier today pointed out...that of the ,000's of kids who are playing in NTx, 1, count em, 1 was selected for the U15 national squad. We keep talking like, for most kids, this is going somewhere...it is just a game...that i want them to love like i love it...so few get to do anything outside of that. Nothing wrong with the aspiration, and i am sure all of your kids are Messi. jrs., but for me...i am OK if he plays with his buddies growing up and has great memories of a game he got really good at playing...
FINALLY someone with some reality about this sport and a kid future regarding this sport. Like I said in a post on another thread (Sport Source); it was a joy to see young men and parents ecstatic when a DIII or NAIA program approached them after a game this past weekend. We shed too much light on DI college soccer and even DII at times. Let the kid enjoy the game and quit putting false hope in their heads at a young age about college soccer. Worst case scenario; if a kid wants to play college soccer; they can...There's too many colleges in the states that offer a men's program. It's our fault as parents to "muzzle" them with just one avenue. And we blame it on the ID process; too funny!!! Just Saying

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 12/11/2014, 3:57 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Number13 wrote:I was assuming Reality Check was complimenting Laimport.  Signed, Post Whore.

Finish, not sure about you, but I am going to go back to buying a stairway to soccer heaven.   Will see if there is a bustle in my hedgerow or not.   In the long run, there's still time to change the road I'm on.  If there is a piper calling me to join him he's probably a Romanian or Persian.
yes complimenting LAimport hes not the obvvious post whore i was reffering to Wink  

13, rock is dead they say. Long live rock, be it dead or alive.

RC, a post whore chasing the dream in a new brothel. Hmmmmm. A clue perhaps Question

btw- numerical trivia, I turn 50-something on Saturday, 12/13/14. That is the last time the date will have consecutive numbers for month, day and year in our lifetime...or our kids lifetime.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 12/11/2014, 5:05 pm

Club/HSparent wrote:
Rightback wrote:Why would i want my kid to aspire to play professional soccer? The post earlier today pointed out...that of the ,000's of kids who are playing in NTx, 1, count em, 1 was selected for the U15 national squad. We keep talking like, for most kids, this is going somewhere...it is just a game...that i want them to love like i love it...so few get to do anything outside of that. Nothing wrong with the aspiration, and i am sure all of your kids are Messi. jrs., but for me...i am OK if he plays with his buddies growing up and has great memories of a game he got really good at playing...
FINALLY someone with some reality about this sport and a kid future regarding this sport. Like I said in a post on another thread (Sport Source); it was a joy to see young men and parents ecstatic when a DIII or NAIA program approached them after a game this past weekend. We shed too much light on DI college soccer and even DII at times. Let the kid enjoy the game and quit putting false hope in their heads at a young age about college soccer. Worst case scenario; if a kid wants to play college soccer; they can...There's too many colleges in the states that offer a men's program. It's our fault as parents to "muzzle" them with just one avenue. And we blame it on the ID process; too funny!!! Just Saying

Pretty much agree with 90% of this. Like I said, play wherever it makes sense.

That being said, yeah there are 1200 mens programs (someone went to a seminar or did research..that's great) however...do you have any idea how many foreign players come over to the states to play collegiate soccer?

The top NAIA programs are almost exclusively made up of foreign players. Some of whom have come up through European academies...and due to liberal NAIA eligibility standards, are still eligible to play soccer in the NAIA.

NCAA D2 is also full of foreign players in many cases. Again, different eligibility requirements vs D1 and D3.

Jucos I think now have a limit of either 6 or 8 international scholarship players allowed on a roster. (Now called the "TJC rule.")

Now quite a few D1 programs are bringing in international players. (Some from well known academies..Ajax and Tottenham come to mind.) Not sure what the exact criterion are, but they have to enroll in university by a certain age...and can have limited 'professional' experience. Meaning I think no actual senior team contracts.

There are elite level players across all divisions of college soccer. This is what separates college soccer from the other collegiate sports. The talent pool is somewhat spread out.

There's a big disparity especially with D3 schools. To be expected with around 450 mens programs. D3 soccer favors (in many cases) the more academically focused players. (Definitely exceptions in D1 though.)

The only soccer players getting full rides are usually cream of the crop youth NT players. And even then...

Point is, it's a global market. And I certainly can agree that D1 isn't and shouldn't be the focus.

But, some players peak early. Some are overlooked. Some are late bloomers.

There's a lot of pros out there (some in Europe) that never got a serious look by a national team scout. It's not over at 18 or even 21.

But don't be naïve in thinking that the "system" isn't flawed. It is. No one has all the answers. As long as it remains a closed system, there will be a flawed system.

The ID (selection really) process aside, are the existing players being fully developed? That's the great debate.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 12/11/2014, 7:44 pm

am i the "post whore"? lol
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 12/12/2014, 7:38 am

Laimport wrote:
Club/HSparent wrote:

That being said, yeah there are 1200 mens programs (someone went to a seminar or did research..that's great) however...do you have any idea how many foreign players come over to the states to play collegiate soccer?

The top NAIA programs are almost exclusively made up of foreign players. Some of whom have come up through European academies...and due to liberal NAIA eligibility standards, are still eligible to play soccer in the NAIA.

NCAA D2 is also full of foreign players in many cases. Again, different eligibility requirements vs D1 and D3.

Jucos I think now have a limit of either 6 or 8  international scholarship players allowed on a roster. (Now called the "TJC rule.")

Now quite a few D1 programs are bringing in international players. (Some from well known academies..Ajax and Tottenham come to mind.) Not sure what the exact criterion are, but they have to enroll in university by a certain age...and can have limited 'professional' experience. Meaning I think no actual senior team contracts.

There are elite level players across all divisions of college soccer. This is what separates college soccer from the other collegiate sports. The talent pool is somewhat spread out.

There's a big disparity especially with D3 schools. To be expected with around 450 mens programs. D3 soccer favors (in many cases) the more academically focused players. (Definitely exceptions in D1 though.)

The only soccer players getting full rides are usually cream of the crop youth NT players. And even then...

Point is, it's a global market. And I certainly can agree that D1 isn't and shouldn't be the focus.

There's a lot of pros out there (some in Europe) that never got a serious look by a national team scout. It's not over at 18 or even 21.

But don't be naïve in thinking that the "system" isn't flawed. It is. No one has all the answers. As long as it remains a closed system, there will be a flawed system.

The ID (selection really) process aside, are the existing players being fully developed? That's the great debate.

If the system is so flawed; please provide me your criteria(s) of how the system should be managed. Step by step (cradle to the grave) from a soccer professional (I assume you are with all the intelect you bring to the board); not as parent that's probably upset that BB isn't getting the DA and/or college looks.

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Maradona 12/12/2014, 8:16 am

Reality Check wrote:

What? Is it all a lie? I've been taking bb to skills with Romanian dude for 5 years. He even promised bb a spot on CFR this summer in Transylvania cheers

Maradona
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 12/12/2014, 8:35 am

Club/HSparent wrote:
Laimport wrote:
Club/HSparent wrote:

Jucos I think now have a limit of either 6 or 8  international scholarship players allowed on a roster. (Now called the "TJC rule.")

If the system is so flawed; please provide me your criteria(s) of how the system should be managed. Step by step (cradle to the grave) from a soccer professional (I assume you are with all the intelect you bring to the board); not as parent that's probably upset that BB isn't getting the DA and/or college looks.

First, my suggestion is, don't make it personal. Second, I don't have all the answers. No one does.

But, if you want to get a small taste, I suggest checking out a few blogs. The first being 3four3.com.

Second, I have talked to a lot of coaches and done my own research. Third, not that it matters, but my opinion is not shaped by my own son's playing experience thus far. But, since you are curious, I can tell you he/we have been approached by DA teams. But, money and logistics prevented us from making that move. And I have talked to others that have had similar experiences.

It should be based on ability to PLAY...not pay! That, in and of itself is enough evidence for me.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 12/12/2014, 11:13 am

Very familiar with 3four3.com; been following it for a while. It's a good read, but it's a blog for a reason. IMHO it is based on PLAY currently. As for pay (I don't agree with the substantial amount it cost), it's still a business and it must be operated as such; nothing is FREE. Basically, if you can play; you will play provide logistics isn't a problem. If logistics is a problem you may want to re-think the sport you have chosen or move. BTW my apologies if my last post seemed to be too personal.

Typically if one bring complaints and/or problems they should bring solutions. Kuddos to the ones that do!!!

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 12/12/2014, 11:37 am

Pretty sure the Persians played in 2014, or does that last one not count?
Romania has to go back to Gheorghe Hagi in the 90s.

I guess if you don't have a German coach you basically suck.

Isn't the pay-to-play situation a direct result of the fact that there is almost no native soccer coaching ability (i.e. free coaching) and there is no lucrative pro system to subsidize the pay of said coaches?    Would it be awesome if the current youth soccer were free here?   Well, sure.  Would youth soccer be awesome here if it were free?   Um..no.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 12/12/2014, 11:47 am

I didn't say free. I said the cost of entry into the highest levels of play in this country represents a huge problem.

There are enough (or a lot more) people that grew up playing soccer to be able to coach at the basic levels.

I am not a baseball guy. But I have talked to people who have played and the general consensus is that "elite travel baseball" hurts player development. Especially for the young pitchers. Playing 100+ games a year obviously isn't producing better ballplayers. Look at the foreign player influx in MLB?

In my opinion (and that's all it is) is that all soccer below U14 should be "rec" in nature. meaning go back to local leagues with little cost/travel involved.

Second, the USSF should completely take over identifying and developing the elite players. Instead of leaving it up to 80 or so 'member' clubs.

I know clubs have to pay for themselves. But maybe instead of using corporate sponsorhips to go directly to their bottom line...maybe use that to lower the cost to families.

As it exists now, youth soccer is largely a money grab. So don't tell me the system isn't flawed because these DA clubs/teams aren't getting all the best players.

You can't completely get rid of the politics, but you can certainly minimize it.

Then there's the whole geography thing.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprint 12/12/2014, 12:23 pm

Laimport wrote:I didn't say free. I said the cost of entry into the highest levels of play in this country represents a huge problem.

There are enough (or a lot more) people that grew up playing soccer to be able to coach at the basic levels.

I am not a baseball guy. But I have talked to people who have played and the general consensus is that "elite travel baseball" hurts player development. Especially for the young pitchers. Playing 100+ games a year obviously isn't producing better ballplayers. Look at the foreign player influx in MLB?

In my opinion (and that's all it is) is that all soccer below U14 should be "rec" in nature. meaning go back to local leagues with little cost/travel involved.

Second, the USSF should completely take over identifying and developing the elite players. Instead of leaving it up to 80 or so 'member' clubs.

I know clubs have to pay for themselves. But maybe instead of using corporate sponsorhips to go directly to their bottom line...maybe use that to lower the cost to families.

As it exists now, youth soccer is largely a money grab. So don't tell me the system isn't flawed because these DA clubs/teams aren't getting all the best players.

You can't completely get rid of the politics, but you can certainly minimize it.

In terms of cost at the highest level, I think the DA teams are either free or significantly reduced from typical select teams in terms of fees.  It also appears US Soccer is pushing more towards reducing the cost of the DA program by providing scholarships etc.  ( the travel does add up, agreed)

It would be fun if all the kids stayed local and played Rec in their own neighborhoods or cities until U14 but I don't think that would be the best for their development.  The level of players all on one team would start to be too contrasting for a coach to handle and it would not benefit the better players.  It could be done, but the better kids would get tired of dribbling through teams, scoring 5 goals a game.  If you play these kids up, that only serves to allow them to get pushed down and fouled by kids a year older.  Does not help their skill level or development.  

It is a good thing to have a place for kids that are a little more serious or a little more advanced to play together and challenge each other.  

The US is too big for USSF to take over all "elite" player development without help from the top clubs in the country.  There is too much real estate to cover and too many players out there for US Soccer to be the only entity looking at a training players.  Why not get the assistance of the clubs that US soccer has reviewed, inspected, watched train and trusts the coaches opinions?  ( It's my understanding US Soccer audits each DA club to make sure they are training them how they want, goes to club practices, knows the players and the coaches on most DA teams)  

Because the US is so big, the parents have to help out with the geography issue.  In gymnastics, the best talent moves to Houston or Plano ( Nastia Lukin Faciilty) or some other of a few locals in the US to train.  In tennis, kids move to Florida to Bolletari tennis center.  It's not an easy decision for any family, but if you live in the outskirts the parents have to make a decision based upon the kids perceived ability. IF I think he is that good, maybe I will be willing to drive 3 hours each way for practice, have him live with friends etc.  ( See Dempsey living in Nacodoches)  For me personally, my kid would have to be REALLY good for me to do that, but each family has to make that call.  I don't think you can have US Soccer or the large clubs scour the entire country for players.  The Players have to come to the clubs.

Good topic.

Sprint
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 12/12/2014, 1:17 pm

I agree with LA in terms of pushing soccer back to the local neighborhoods. I like to hear Dempsey used as an example. He is very vocal about where he learned to play soccer and the value of playing freely at a recreational level. The club system cannot take credit for developing him. It is at least equally the other way around.

My solution to the problem of affordability is to have the clubs partner with the local associations. In fact, FC Dallas has a coaching clinic in my town this weekend. That a good place to start. Teach the teachers...

If anyone wants details, I would be glad to share my complete business model and youth development for U11 and below. Very Happy
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Club/HSparent 12/12/2014, 1:29 pm

Sprint wrote:
Laimport wrote:I didn't say free. I said the cost of entry into the highest levels of play in this country represents a huge problem.

In terms of cost at the highest level, I think the DA teams are either free or significantly reduced from typical select teams in terms of fees.  It also appears US Soccer is pushing more towards reducing the cost of the DA program by providing scholarships etc.  ( the travel does add up, agreed)

It would be fun if all the kids stayed local and played Rec in their own neighborhoods or cities until U14 but I don't think that would be the best for their development.  The level of players all on one team would start to be too contrasting for a coach to handle and it would not benefit the better players.  It could be done, but the better kids would get tired of dribbling through teams, scoring 5 goals a game.  If you play these kids up, that only serves to allow them to get pushed down and fouled by kids a year older.  Does not help their skill level or development.  

It is a good thing to have a place for kids that are a little more serious or a little more advanced to play together and challenge each other.  

The US is too big for USSF to take over all "elite" player development without help from the top clubs in the country.  There is too much real estate to cover and too many players out there for US Soccer to be the only entity looking at a training players.  Why not get the assistance of the clubs that US soccer has reviewed, inspected, watched train and trusts the coaches opinions?  ( It's my understanding US Soccer audits each DA club to make sure they are training them how they want, goes to club practices, knows the players and the coaches on most DA teams)  

Because the US is so big, the parents have to help out with the geography issue.  In gymnastics, the best talent moves to Houston or Plano ( Nastia Lukin Faciilty) or some other of a few locals in the US to train.  In tennis, kids move to Florida to Bolletari tennis center.  It's not an easy decision for any family, but if you live in the outskirts the parents have to make a decision based upon the kids perceived ability. IF I think he is that good, maybe I will be willing to drive 3 hours each way for practice, have him live with friends etc.  ( See Dempsey living in Nacodoches)  For me personally, my kid would have to be REALLY good for me to do that, but each family has to make that call.  I don't think you can have US Soccer or the large clubs scour the entire country for players.  The Players have to come to the clubs.

Good topic.

I could not have said it better. Including the geography scenarios. Kuddos

Club/HSparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Reality Check 12/12/2014, 1:55 pm

Number13 wrote:hey when was the last time romania or a persian team played in a world cup?

Pretty sure the Persians played in 2014, or does that last one not count?
Romania has to go back to Gheorghe Hagi in the 90s.

I guess if you don't have a German coach you basically suck.  

Isn't the pay-to-play situation a direct result of the fact that there is almost no native soccer coaching ability (i.e. free coaching) and there is no lucrative pro system to subsidize the pay of said coaches?    Would it be awesome if the current youth soccer were free here?   Well, sure.  Would youth soccer be awesome here if it were free?   Um..no.
oh thats right how did they do? did they score any goals?

Reality Check
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 12/12/2014, 2:43 pm

I know the DA is subsidized. But that doesn't cover travel.

I think the whole "challenge" mindset is what fuels the fire to create even more "elite" leagues. Successful repetition of basic technique is more important than providing more "resistance" (competition) via league play.

Yeah the players have to come to the clubs..to a point.

But, should they have to pay to "try out"? Which is largely what happens in the college recruiting process.

"Come to my camp"....4 words I'm getting sick of.

I know the country is too big to have a scout in every nook and cranny. But there's huge room for improvement.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 12/12/2014, 3:15 pm

oh thats right how did they do? did they score any goals?

I am privy to this secret technology called Google that could answer those questions for you, but alas that does nothing for you.   It's nice to be me. Yes, they scored a goal. Hooray for them! Go Ghoochannejhad!
Very Happy
But to the general point, yes, I think you should pick your local foreign coach based primarily on the more recent performances of their home country in the World Cup.   So it seems the USMNT has it all figured out. Look out world.

Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next