Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Keeping "Going Select" In Perspective Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Keeping "Going Select" In Perspective

+11
AskMeAboutSoccer
Arsenal1984
go99
hunden97
Sprint
Number13
copa44
ronaldofan
plantit
skillzski
thetruthhurts
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Keeping "Going Select" In Perspective Empty Keeping "Going Select" In Perspective

Post by thetruthhurts 4/22/2015, 5:54 pm

At this time of year for the U10s going into select, sometimes it a little challenging for parents to keep the select process in perspective. I am hoping to start a conversation or discussion to help those that have little experience in the whole process and what "going select" even means. Having little experience myself with moving from the academy level into select, I am curious what others out there are thinking and hopeful others will share there knowledge and experiences.

My son, who is an 05, one day said that he was worried about "going select", which made me start thinking about it. After giving it some thought, I explained to him that it doesn't really affect him in any way. He'll still be probably be playing on the same team and continue to play games and tournaments as he always has. There will be not much difference for the players, but, to us parents, it's a different story, in part due to the increase in cost, because the possibility of additional time at practice and games, and also because of the one year contract that we sign, for better or for worse, whether our son is a starter and gets plenty of game time, or is sitting on the bench.

Of course the increase in cost is a big issue. Exactly what is a player and his parents getting for their money? We're talking an increase of 3 times, 4 times, or even more when moving from Academy to Select.  Will the Select Fee for a specific team have any relation to the coaches ability to coach and develop their players? Will the amount of the fee have any direct relation to the ranking of the team or the team's ability to compete? What is the actual process of ranking the teams in the Classic League, the Plano Premier League, and the Arlington Premier League? These are a few of the questions that I hope to answer myself or to start a conversation about.
thetruthhurts
thetruthhurts
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Keeping "Going Select" In Perspective Empty Re: Keeping "Going Select" In Perspective

Post by skillzski 4/22/2015, 7:13 pm

The reality is that not much changes except for the lump sum that goes to the club, coach, and the Classic League for the wonderful job of field maintenance and grooming if the team makes the cut. What you have seen in practice pretty much stays the same, the games pretty much stay the same, playing time can change if new kids come on board, competition does improve each year as more kids will drop off in favor of other sports. I will say it is fun to see the kids and the teammates sign a piece of paper "the contract" and realize they have graduated from little boy soccer to a little bit bigger boy soccer that the parents are held responsible for. If you believe in your coach, his ideals, his teachings go for it if little Johnny / Juanito is up to it. The two biggest words that keep everyone in check and come hand in hand at this age are "development and winning" and please remember that winning "usually" trumps development because this is a big business and winning keeps the business alive and thriving, and not development. Good Luck and have fun. It is a good time to see other clubs and what they do, speak to other parents from other clubs, and help guide your child to do what is best for them and their personal development.
skillzski
skillzski
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Keeping "Going Select" In Perspective Empty Re: Keeping "Going Select" In Perspective

Post by plantit 4/22/2015, 8:20 pm

thetruthhurts wrote:At this time of year for the U10s going into select, sometimes it a little challenging for parents to keep the select process in perspective. I am hoping to start a conversation or discussion to help those that have little experience in the whole process and what "going select" even means. Having little experience myself with moving from the academy level into select, I am curious what others out there are thinking and hopeful others will share there knowledge and experiences.

My son, who is an 05, one day said that he was worried about "going select", which made me start thinking about it. After giving it some thought, I explained to him that it doesn't really affect him in any way. He'll still be probably be playing on the same team and continue to play games and tournaments as he always has. There will be not much difference for the players, but, to us parents, it's a different story, in part due to the increase in cost, because the possibility of additional time at practice and games, and also because of the one year contract that we sign, for better or for worse, whether our son is a starter and gets plenty of game time, or is sitting on the bench.

Of course the increase in cost is a big issue. Exactly what is a player and his parents getting for their money? We're talking an increase of 3 times, 4 times, or even more when moving from Academy to Select.  Will the Select Fee for a specific team have any relation to the coaches ability to coach and develop their players? Will the amount of the fee have any direct relation to the ranking of the team or the team's ability to compete? What is the actual process of ranking the teams in the Classic League, the Plano Premier League, and the Arlington Premier League? These are a few of the questions that I hope to answer myself or to start a conversation about.

Everyone will try to convince you that it is a race , it's exclusive , it's important, get on the train or risk being left behind . It's all bullshit. It's a BUSINESS nothing more nothing less. Your kid can be replaced in a minute by some kid who has NEVER had exposure to d-1 d-2 ect but who has been FREE playing on some backwoods playground and developed a creative feel and skills for the game .

If your kid loves to play he will show you by his dedication to work on his own when no one is around .
plantit
plantit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by ronaldofan 4/22/2015, 9:31 pm

plantit wrote:
thetruthhurts wrote:At this time of year for the U10s going into select, sometimes it a little challenging for parents to keep the select process in perspective. I am hoping to start a conversation or discussion to help those that have little experience in the whole process and what "going select" even means. Having little experience myself with moving from the academy level into select, I am curious what others out there are thinking and hopeful others will share there knowledge and experiences.

Everyone will try to convince you that it is a race , it's exclusive , it's important, get on the train or risk being left behind . It's all bullshit. It's a BUSINESS nothing more nothing less. Your kid can be replaced in a minute by some kid who has NEVER had exposure to d-1 d-2 ect but who has been FREE playing on some backwoods playground and developed a creative feel and skills for the game .

If your kid loves to play he will show you by his dedication to work on his own when no one is around .

There is some truth that it is a race, it's not all BS as you reference. Let me share an example: Coach X needs to secure his roster for select, whatever that number is, lets say 12. Coach X will begin securing commitments and the number of slots will decrease with each commitment. At some point the slots will be gone and you will be left looking for another team.

At least this is what I have seen in SoCal before we moved.

ronaldofan
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/22/2015, 9:53 pm

Another interesting post to read:

http://www.txsoccer.info/t4990-where-did-my-select-soccer-fees-go

Back to top Go down

Keeping "Going Select" In Perspective Empty A Brief Description for U11 Select Leagues

Post by thetruthhurts 4/22/2015, 9:57 pm

"Select" Leagues, a brief description for U11s from what I understand:

There are three leagues for select: Classic league, Plano Premier League, and the Arlington Premier League. The main objective for any select team is to be in the Classic league. It has the top 30 best teams divided into two different divisions. The top 20 teams are in division I and the remaining 10 teams are in division II. The Plano Premier and Arlington Premier leagues are leagues for the teams that do not qualify for Classic League. The Plano Premier League is located in the northern part of the DFW Metroplex, and the Arlington Premier League is located on the southern side of the DFW Metroplex.  The placement or rankings of the majority of the teams is determined through qualifying tournament(s) soon after the boys move into select/U11 group in July.  The qualifying tournament for the Classic league is held first, and all teams are allowed to enter the tournament if they choose. Teams are seeded in the tournament according to previous winning and losing records or by the Classic League itself. If a team does not qualify for the Classic League as one of the top overall thirty teams, then the team can participate in the tournaments in either the Plano Premier League or the Arlington Premier League. Currently, the Plano Premier League has 38 U11 teams divided into two divisions with 19 teams in each division, and the Arlington Premier League has 18 teams total.
thetruthhurts
thetruthhurts
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Keeping "Going Select" In Perspective Empty Current U11 Select Teams League Standings

Post by thetruthhurts 4/22/2015, 10:32 pm

I decided to post the current U11 select teams in order of current standings in each league. It possibly could give some insight into what teams and/or clubs would be successful in the coming select year for the 05s, but keep in mind that past performance is no guarantee of future results.  Very Happy

U11/ 04s Classic League Division I

1) DALLAS TEXANS SC 04B DALLAS
2) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B PREMIER
3) SOLAR CHELSEA SC 04B RED
4) SOLAR CHELSEA SC 04B FARLE
5) ANDROMEDA FC 04B GALL
6) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B BLUE
7) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B HAMMER
8.) DALLAS TEXANS SC 04B SOUTH
9) FC PREMIER 04B OPOKU
10) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B SOUTH R
11) TEXAS TITANS FC 04B NORTH
12) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B BORGAR
13) RAYOS FC 04B MARTINEZ
14) LIVERPOOL FC AMERICA 04B SH
15) FEVER UNITED 04B SADJADY
16) LIVERPOOL FC AMERICA 04B FO
17) DALLAS ROMA F. C. 04B SCHE
18) TEXAS LIGHTNING SC 04B T.
19) ANDROMEDA FC 04B RED HAYLO
20) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B CENTRAL

U11/04s Classic League Division II

21) DALLAS TEXANS SC 04B WEST
22) SOLAR CHELSEA SC 04B (PARTA
23) ANDROMEDA FC 04B BLUE (SAWY
24) AZZURRI FC 04B (BEANEY)
25) SOLAR CHELSEA SC 04B BLUE
26) AYSES 04B GOLD (OLALI)
27) TEXAS TOROS SC 04B RED (ESC
28) DALLAS TEXANS SC 04B FORT W
29) WIZARDS FC 04B (BURCIAGA)
30) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B BLACK

U11/ 04s Plano Premier League Division I

1) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B RED  
2) MCKINNEY UNITED 04B  
3) MAN. U. 04 BOYS  
4) FC FORCE ESS 04 BOYS  
5) MCKINNEY BARCELONA  
6) CHELSEA EAST SC CHELSEA EAST 04 BOYS
7) UNITED STRIKERS FC 04B  
8.) TEXAS THUNDER 04 BOYS  
9) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B NORTH WHITE  
10) LIVERPOOL FC AMERICA 04 BOYS SOUNESS  
11) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B NORTH RED  
12) DALLAS TEXANS 04 RED WEST
13) BARZA 04B  
14) FC DALLAS 04B EAST  
15) CHELSEA EAST SC DRAGONS 04 BOYS  
16) MUTINY FC 04B  
17) EVOLUTION FC EVOLUTION 04B  
18) ANDROMEDA FC 04B WHITE  
19) LIVERPOOL FC AMERICA 04 BOYS DALGLISH

U11/ 04s Plano Premier League Division II

20) TEXAS XTREME FC 04 BOYS  
21) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B NORTH BLUE  
22) COLLEYVILLE SA EVOLUTION 04 BOYS
23) ALBION UNITED FC 04B  
24) COPPELL FC 04  
25) AMERICA DALLAS AMERICA PREMIER 04B
26) LIVERPOOL FC AMERICA 04 BOYS KEEGAN
27) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B WHITE
28) ADRENALINE FC 04 BOYS  
29) TEXAS SPORTING FC 04 NORTH
30) LIVERPOOL FC AMERICA 04 BOYS GERRARD
31): ROCKWALL AGGIES F. C. AGGIES F.C.  
32) DALLAS UNITED FC DALLAS UNITED 04 RED  
33) TEXOMA UNITED 04  
34) ALLEN SPORTS BADGERS FC  
35) FC PLANO 04B SMITH
36) HPSA SCOTS 04B  
37) BLACKHAWKS FC 04BOYS  
38) FC DALLAS YOUTH 04B NORTH BLACK

Arlington Premier League Division I

1) FC DALLAS WTX 04B - LARA
2) MIDLAND UNITED CHIVAS
3) LEON FC ACADEMY USA DFW
4) HURST UNITED
5) FORT WORTH FC 04B WHITE
6) ARSENAL SC 04B
7) DALLAS RAYADOS 04B
8.) RED BULLS 04B
9) LIVERPOOL FC AMERICA 04

Arlington Premier League Division II

10) QUEST FC 04B
11) REAL GP 04B
12) AMERICAS FC
13) TEXAS LIGHTNING
14) TEXAS PREMIER FC
15) IMPACT FC 04 B - MURADOR
16) NORTH TEXAS FUTBOL NTFC 04
17) MANSFIELD REVOLUTION
18) LIVERPOOL FC 04 B
thetruthhurts
thetruthhurts
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by thetruthhurts 4/22/2015, 10:53 pm

So, do you think that the players that are on the club teams that ranked at the bottom of the Plano Premier League get a discount on their fees? Surely they are not paying upwards of $3000.00 like the same club's teams in the Classic League...right? Twisted Evil
thetruthhurts
thetruthhurts
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Keeping "Going Select" In Perspective Empty Is There A College Soccer Scholarship In Your Future?

Post by thetruthhurts 4/22/2015, 11:20 pm

In 2014 there were 1,667 schools in the US that sponsored women and men's varsity soccer teams.   There were 1,391 varsity men's teams with 37,890 players. The average college athletic scholarship for all men's sports for 2014 was $4,815.00.

Just something to think about.

Keeping it in perspective Shocked

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html
thetruthhurts
thetruthhurts
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by copa44 4/23/2015, 7:59 am

thetruthhurts wrote:So, do you think that the players that are on the club teams that ranked at the bottom of the Plano Premier League get a discount on their fees? Surely they are not paying upwards of $3000.00 like the same club's teams in the Classic League...right? Twisted Evil
In my experience the fees are the same regardless of the league. As the parent of a U13 who has played APL D1, PPL D1, CL D3, and is now on a PPL D2 team - listen to your kid and have realistic expectations. Kiddo was relatively happy but not being challenged at the U11 team so we moved U12. Had a great experience in PPL D1 then coach left before U13. Stayed with team and moved to CL D3. Pressure to win trumped development just about every step of the way and kiddo was miserable. We left in December and returned to our former U11 team (new coach) - kiddo is happy, playing time is great, and he's developing. We also discovered in U13 that the pressures of middle school (academic and athletic) were greater than we anticipated and he didn't want or need to be on a top team to be happy. In my opinion there is far too much emphasis on where kids play….they are 11/12/13 yo kids, they need to have fun and develop. At the end of the day if they are doing that and are happy and you can afford select it doesn't matter so much where they are. Besides, as you pointed out, the vast majority of N TX kids aren't going to play in college and certainly aren't going to pay for college with soccer. It's youth sports, keep it in perspective with the big picture.

copa44
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 4/23/2015, 8:11 am

thetruthhurts wrote:So, do you think that the players that are on the club teams that ranked at the bottom of the Plano Premier League get a discount on their fees? Surely they are not paying upwards of $3000.00 like the same club's teams in the Classic League...right? Twisted Evil

There is a kid on bb's CL D1 team whose younger brother (one year diff) signed with LP team that was in PPL D2.   The LP fees were $4k all-in and not spelled out very clearly, according to the parents.   The older boys D1 fees were $2700 all-in.    I know BBs club fees are the same no matter the division you are in.   So, it depends.   League fees are expensive, but its not that expensive divided over 16 kids.   The main elements of your fees are:  coaching, training field use/insurance, club profit.   A lot of the lower division teams are more independent, might use public facilities, or have a coach taking less/no money, so those are going to be cheaper.   But I seriously doubt that they are going to refund a portion of the fees when a team has a poor QT and end up in a lower division than expected.

I'm with copa. You need to enjoy today, today. I would pick a team close to where you live that has people that you (and BB) like. And wouldn't worry too much about the other stuff, I think in hindsight it will all seem pretty trivial.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprint 4/23/2015, 9:39 am

thetruthhurts wrote:In 2014 there were 1,667 schools in the US that sponsored women and men's varsity soccer teams.   There were 1,391 varsity men's teams with 37,890 players. The average college athletic scholarship for all men's sports for 2014 was $4,815.00.

Just something to think about.

Keeping it in perspective Shocked

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

Great chart and source of information.  Makes the college scholarship deal seem not so important knowing that even if you get the average scholarship to a good D1 School, the student/parent, is still going to be on the hook for a very large amount of the cost if only getting athletic money. ( depending on school)

Also good to look at how much financial assistance is given to the student body as a whole at each school. You couple athletic and financial assistance together, you can come close to getting most of it paid for. Got to keep the grades up...

Last edited by Sprint on 4/23/2015, 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Sprint
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by hunden97 4/23/2015, 9:50 am

Everyone who mentions letting your kid have fun are correct. It's a game, let your kid enjoy it. As for development, put him in futsal and any other small side training/tourneys/games for the next 2-3 years and your kid will see TRUE development. If he prefers playing 11 a side then find a team close to where your live, for as cheap as you can find.
hunden97
hunden97
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 4/23/2015, 10:17 am

Okay I will put all of this rediculous advice into perspective. If you are in it for a college scholorship quit now and put the money into savings. It will be worth more and save him from the rigors of dealing with the athletic and student load in college. If it's so he can make the highschool team? Quit now, if you can kick a round object you can make the highschool team. Pro so you can make millions? You will never last long enough.

You should be going select because the kid wants to "play". He should love what he is doing and want to find out how good he can be at HIS chosen activity. It's not for YOU to control, or decide, but only for you to support. It needs to be the kids path.

The close team with friends for as cheap as possible is great if the kid just wants to play. But If the kid wants to play for a living or play in college and then doesn't make it. It won't be because he wasn't good enough or work hard enough it will be because YOU put him in the wrong environment.

So advice? Select is a fun experience but let the kid decide what he wants from soccer and you just do the best to help and support him even when he fails.

Oh and for perspective. BB barely made D1 and finished the first year next to last. And despite all of the chatter on the forum of how terrible his team and players were and how they all didn't deserve to be in D1 he learned to play and is doing well in the DA. Perfecting a craft is a marathon not a sprint
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/23/2015, 10:23 am

go99 wrote:The close team with friends for as cheap as possible is great if the kid just wants to play. But If the kid wants to play for a living or play in college and then doesn't make it. It won't be because he wasn't good enough or work hard enough it will be because YOU put him in the wrong environment.

Perfecting a craft is a marathon not a sprint

Now this is perspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenal1984 4/23/2015, 12:20 pm

Plantit is 100% correct --> It's a BUSINESS

Some of these Coaches make Top $$$ and it's unfortunate that many (coaches and Parents included) take a short-sided approach of Winning 1st and hopeful development 2nd .... but this is what the "market" is telling/incentivizing the Coaches .... winning and being a D1 team brings in the dough .... the occasional collateral damage of taking the joy out of the game for some 11, 12, 13 year old kids is just a "possible" unfortunate side effect

Bottom Line (just like everyone is saying) - find a squad of good kids, parents with their heads screwed-on straight, and a Coach that strives to challenge your BB to work to become better, but still makes the game enjoyable for all the players.

Arsenal1984
Arsenal1984
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AskMeAboutSoccer 4/23/2015, 2:22 pm

Everything is a business, including hospitals, cancer research, non profit organizations, etc.

Let's define where the money goes:

Assumptions:

1 - Select Cost = 2,500
2 - Roster Size = 15
3 - Classic D1 League, Spring and Fall Season
4 - Club Coach Salary 14,500
5 - Classic QT for each Season

Team Budget = 2,500 x 15 = 37,500

Expenses:

- Coach salary = 14,500
- Classic QT = 1,450
- Classic league fees = 1,740
- Ref fees = 738
- Field Space = 9,600
- Insurance = 2,500
- Mic items = 1,000

- Total Expenses = 31,528
- Profit = 5,972

Coach Salary Breakdown: 14,500

- Practice Hours = 160
- Game Hours = 36
- Tournament Hours = 40
- Session Planning = 100
- Continuing Education = 50
- Meetings = 75

- Total Hours = 461
- Hourly Pay = $31.45

- Additional expenses not accounted: Travel, gas, mileage, meals, coach clothing, equipment, etc.

AskMeAboutSoccer
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 4/23/2015, 5:41 pm

AskMeAboutSoccer wrote:Everything is a business, including hospitals, cancer research, non profit organizations, etc.

Let's define where the money goes:

Assumptions:

1 - Select Cost = 2,500
2 - Roster Size = 18-22 depending on age group
3 - Classic D1 League, Spring and Fall Season
4 - Club Coach Salary 14,500
5 - Classic QT for each Season

Team Budget = 2,500 x 18 = 45,000

Expenses:

- Coach salary =             14,500
- Classic QT =                   1,450
- Classic league fees =      1,740
- Ref fees =                         738
- Field Space =                 9,600
- Insurance =                  2,500
- Mic items =                   1,000

- Total Expenses =         31,528
- Profit =                         5,972

Coach Salary Breakdown:  14,500

- Practice Hours =               160      
- Game Hours =                    36
- Tournament Hours =          40
- Session Planning  =          100
- Continuing Education =      50
- Meetings =                         75

- Total Hours =                    461
- Hourly Pay =                     $31.45

- Additional expenses not accounted:  Travel, gas, mileage, meals, coach clothing, equipment, etc.

ok coach I fixed one part for you because those #s might be a bit different and also things may change depending on how many teams you have?

Last edited by omega striker on 4/23/2015, 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 4/23/2015, 6:23 pm

Unless you are with an indie, a chunk of change will go to pay for the "club" aspect...that DOC gets money, the secretary that is processing your payment gets money, etc.
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 4/23/2015, 7:09 pm

Lmao he said session planning and continuing education. Now that's funny. We are still talking about NTX right?
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by hunden97 4/23/2015, 11:23 pm

hunden97 wrote:

Everyone who mentions letting your kid have fun are correct. It's a game, let your kid enjoy it. As for development, put him in futsal and any other small side training/tourneys/games for the next 2-3 years and your kid will see TRUE development. If he prefers playing 11 a side then find a team close to where your live, for as cheap as you can find.

Good read. More people are beginning to understand.

http://www.cantpasscantplay.com/blog/2015/4/17/when-are-we-going-to-play-the-real-game
hunden97
hunden97
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 4/24/2015, 7:21 am

It's a good read and basically true but the size of the game isn't the problem, its the coaching. Games are not where most of the learning takes place. That's done in practice. Practice is the classroom and the game is the test. Practice should be small sided and more often. Games should be less. With that being said the problem of smaller sided games is that it can be easier to take the over sized kid and use him to physically dominate the game. Also not every kid /parent wants to develop they just want to play the game they see on tv, not a kids version and there is nothing wrong with that. Changing the size of the game will have little impact here. You must start with what you are teaching not the number of poorly trained kids you put on the field. A bigger impact would be had by simply shrinking the size of the goal.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 4/24/2015, 9:26 am

I think go99 nailed it. IMO, the team your son plays for at u11 will have little to no impact on where he will end up at 18.

In fact, playing on a 'top' team at u11 may actually do more harm than good. The vast majority of parents (and players) view soccer as an "activity" and not a passion. And that's okay...to an extent.

Parents and players view "challenge" and "competition" in the wrong context. Really, up to the age of 15, the most important thing is technical ability. And that can't be accomplished based on playing for a certain team. Yeah, coaching is important.

But THE most important thing is how much time the player works with the ball (in a beneficial way) on his own...outside of a structured, team environment.

Yes, it is possible to win and develop players. But it rarely happens at the youngest ages. Because the vast majority of coaches aren't really interested in the long term approach of teaching the right way to play. It doesn't align with their (and the clubs) best interests...which is making money.

It's all about controlling and passing the ball. Second it is learning to increase technical and tactical speed of play.

being a better "athlete" (whatever that means) is great, but, if you don't master the basics, then you limit your ability to grow as a player.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 4/24/2015, 10:04 am

.But THE most important thing is how much time the player works with the ball (in a beneficial way) on his own...outside of a structured, team environment.[/quote]

GREAT COMMENT Laimport!!!! I see this FACT mentioned over and over on this forum. Most don't get it. It's a shame more parents don't realize this. Coaching is nice! You can have the best Math teacher in the World but if your BB is not working his butt off at home with flash cards etc. He will fall behind.
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by thetruthhurts 5/4/2015, 9:43 pm

After over hearing some parents discuss "going select" at a game over the weekend, I thought maybe I should have mentioned in my "Select Leagues, a Brief Description for U11s" that basically after U10 there are only two choices - Going Rec or going Select. And if you look at the state of Rec locally, with U9 and U10 teams having to combine to have enough teams to compete (PYSA), I think the choice is clear if you and your son are even semi-serious about playing the game. Of course there is the cost of select to consider, which is an amount that each club or team (as in independent teams) itself determines. The select fee or cost is not determined by whatever league a team ends up playing in.

Have I beat a dead horse sufficiently yet?
thetruthhurts
thetruthhurts
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next