Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

State Cup Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

State Cup

+10
geordie11
earbucket
Socceropath
plano02
mpcls55
Number13
SnookumsConCarne
Gator Chick
hanallalone
Dragon Nation
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

State Cup Empty State Cup

Post by Dragon Nation 5/5/2017, 7:53 pm

Just thought I'd start the State Cup topic to get a little fun chatter going since it's so quite Smile
I'm glad to see new teams this year.  We welcome the 2 top Plano League teams this year: (FC Lightning, Plano Blue Division champs, 82 goals in league play & President's Cup semi-finalist) & (Real GP Rodriquez, Plano White Division champs, 73 goals in league play & President's Cup finalist).  Also happy to see Ayses Gold, Classic League D2 champs & John 3:16, Classic League D3 #3.  D2 came down to the wire this year so I thought we'd see the #2 FCD & #3 Texans teams in the mix.  Also surprised the D3 champs Dallas Kicks aren't here.  Some very good teams to look out for next year

I was fortunate to watch a little of 2 other games yesterday.  Odyssey vs FC Lightning.  I thought Odyssey looked solid & moved the ball affectively for a 3-0 win & 10 important points.  I caught a few minutes of the DTS vs Real GP Alonso game.  These guys tied 4 days ago in their CL finale.  DTS put a lot of pressure on the RGP Alonso defense early on but they handled it.  The Texans eventually put 3 in the net to come out with a 3-0 win & again 10 big points.  I of course watched the Solar Stricker vs Real GP Rodriguez game.  This too was a rematch.  Back in November these 2 teams met in the Bobby Rhine tournament with Solar squeezing out a 1-0 win.  Unfortunately November was a long time ago.  Early on RGP Rod hung in there but mostly because SR's shots were off the post, crossbar, other players & anything imaginable.  They final got it going & put in 6 before the half.  The 2nd half was all Solar Red.  7 different players scored with 1 scoring 4x, 1 scoring 3x, 1 scoring 2x & 4 scoring a goal each to make it 13-0.  It looked like the starters & subs all played equal time so fresh legs running at you for 80 mins is tough on any defense.  Strong win by Solar but don't sleep on Real GP Rodriguez.  They are better than a 13-0 loss would appear.  I suspect they'll give Cruz Azul a run for their money on Saturday.  

Did anyone see the Ayses Gold vs FCDP game?  FCDP pulled in out 1-0.  
How about Solar Sawyer vs John 3:16?  Sawyer managed a 1-0 win there.  
I imagine both games were exciting.  I hate I didn't see either.

Dragon Nation
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

State Cup Empty Re: State Cup

Post by hanallalone 5/6/2017, 1:55 pm

Odyssey won 3-0 to a VERY motivated John 3:16 team today... Not a lot to say; one team gave 110% while the other looked like they had the flu or some kind of energy draining virus... It was not a fun match to watch... Unusual for Ody to be so lethargic, but in the end they pulled it out despite the referee's best efforts to give the game to their opponent (on SEVERAL occasions)... Hats off to John 3:16; they left it all out there... Ody keeper blocked a PK and put in some unexpected work today... Reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode...
hanallalone
hanallalone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gator Chick 5/7/2017, 8:57 am

Good win Odyssey!  3 clean sheets & 7 goals in your last 3 games...looks like ODY is on fire.  Tough game today vs Solar Sawyer with the winner moving on to the semi finals next week.  Sawyer's team looks strong but I'll take ODY 2-0

Looks like LP Rush & the Texans will battle it out today to win the group.  The Texans look strong & LP Rush is bit up & down but they're a very good team.  This will be a good 1.  I'll take LP Rush in a bit of a surprise 2-1 win.

FCD vs Solar Castro..2 technically sound CL teams.  FCD needs a tie but Castro needs a win to move on to the semi finals so they will be motivated.  1 FCD goal mathematically makes the dream impossible for Castro.  OK I'll take FCD 1-0 with a goal either in the 1st 5 mins or in the last 5 mins to steal the win.

Solar Stricker vs Cruz Azul.  Another match up of 2 teams that played less than a week ago.  Cruz lost 3-0 that day but battled for 80 mins but realistically even if SR is caught looking ahead to a possible rematch with ODY, Cruz would need to score at least 14 goals & stop Stricker from scoring 1...possible but improbable.  Stricker just needs a tie to win the group but I'll take Stricker 1-0.

John 3:16 vs FC Lightning.  Now this is the great debate.  How does the Plano league blue division champ stack up again the CL D3 #3?  Here's your chance Plano.  For 10 mins I watched FC play ODY & they are a scrappy group that plays fast.  82 goals, 13-1-1 in league play says they're used to scoring a lot & winning all the time..but they don't face to type of competition J3:16 faces every week in CL.  I'll take FC Lightning 3-2 for the win Chuck

Gator Chick
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne 5/7/2017, 8:10 pm

Stricker's team is tearing up their opponents in this tournament.
Odyssey seems like the team to possibly win it all, with their stronger bracket.
FCD is always in the running.
DTS should be able to hang on and give a good showing in the semis.

Good luck next weekend.
SnookumsConCarne
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by hanallalone 5/8/2017, 7:36 am

Considering all factors, it's pretty hard to call these Saturday games... The Stricker vs Odyssey rematch should not disappoint, especially considering Ody edged them out in the Classic League finale... Stricker (as any motivated coach should be) was present during Odyssey's match yesterday looking for a weakness to exploit... Both of these teams are already advancing to the Region 3 tournament in NC, so this next match has a different "feel" to it, and not surprisingly it feels BIGGER!!! We will see which Odyssey team shows up; if they play like they did vs John 3:16 - it could be a long day for the Ody keeper (who I have a particular interest in)!!!

FCD vs DTS... Could go either way... FCD is a hard one to predict lately, so flip a coin and hope you're lucky... I like DTS, but if FCD shows up in top form it could easily go the other way...
hanallalone
hanallalone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 5/8/2017, 8:42 am

Ody should be heavy underdogs.  The bulk of the first year players on Ody have some Stricker ties which may make this game less lethargic than the past 3 seemed to have been.   If not, could be ugly.  Stricker probably ran out of weaknesses to write down after about 15 minutes.  Very Happy     Who knows, that's why they play the games.  

Everytime I see DTS they look bigger.   I guess nobody is shrinking at this age.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne 5/8/2017, 3:18 pm

Number13 wrote:Ody should be heavy underdogs.  The bulk of the first year players on Ody have some Stricker ties which may make this game less lethargic than the past 3 seemed to have been.   If not, could be ugly.  Stricker probably ran out of weaknesses to write down after about 15 minutes.  Very Happy     Who knows, that's why they play the games.  

Everytime I see DTS they look bigger.   I guess nobody is shrinking at this age.

LOL! Not as big as LP Rush's boys.
SnookumsConCarne
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne 5/8/2017, 3:20 pm

Speaking of, we played LP Rush a few weeks back.
Did some of these kids not make that game? Or is this one of those Club Pass situations?
SnookumsConCarne
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 5/8/2017, 3:25 pm

SnookumsConCarne wrote:Speaking of, we played LP Rush a few weeks back.
Did some of these kids not make that game? Or is this one of those Club Pass situations?

They had Hunt kids out there yesterday on Club Pass. 3 of the bigger ones. May have been more but I saw at least 3 strolling past.

Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne 5/8/2017, 4:57 pm

Number13 wrote:

They had Hunt kids out there yesterday on Club Pass.  3 of the bigger ones.   May have been more but I saw at least 3 strolling past.  

Wow! I only saw 1 that stood out.
SnookumsConCarne
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne 5/8/2017, 4:59 pm

Number13 wrote:

They had Hunt kids out there yesterday on Club Pass.  3 of the bigger ones.   May have been more but I saw at least 3 strolling past.  

Wow! I only saw 1 that stood out.
SnookumsConCarne
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Nation 5/8/2017, 8:03 pm

Hanallalone...lol...liked your comments about your interest in the Odyssey keeper.  He's been playing lights out as far as I'm concerned.  I think he will be the key factor in Saturdays game like he was in the last ODY vs Solar Red game.  I agree that it does have a different feel doesn't it?  These 2 teams know each other very well.  These boys are friends & seem to respect each other on the field so there's not a lot of craziness going on.  ODY beat Stricker's 03's in State Cup pool play last year but then Stricker returned the favor & won the State Cup championship game in a close 1.  So they go back & forth.  Ya'll should all come out & watch, I'm sure the boys won't disappoint.  I'm not even going to predict this one..lol.  

FCD vs DTS will be another great 1.  FCD is a very good team with their regular roster so don't be fooled.  Of course their Academy kids add another gear to the FCD machine.  I didn't see their game against Castro but I'm assuming the Academy kids are back.  Is that the deal?  DTS does seem to get bigger with each passing week.  They're a pretty solid team...skilled forwards, active midfield, strong in the back & a very good keeper.  I remember him from ODP...much respect for him & his ability.  Not going to predict this 1 either.  Yes I will.  I'll take DTS 2-1.  Incidentally with ODY & Solar already having tickets to Regionals in NC, the FCD vs DTS game is arguably for a ticket to Regionals...if I'm not mistaken.  The State Cup champ goes but if they already have a ticket, the runners up go.  That's how Sporting U went last year.  Good luck to all & I pray for no injuries.

Dragon Nation
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 5/9/2017, 12:15 am

Dragon Nation wrote:  Incidentally with ODY & Solar already having tickets to Regionals in NC, the FCD vs DTS game is arguably for a ticket to Regionals...if I'm not mistaken.  The State Cup champ goes but if they already have a ticket, the runners up go.  That's how Sporting U went last year.  

You are correct, somebody will win a new Regional invite here. I recall that part of State Cup entry last year was signing something to the effect that you would go to Regionals if you were awarded the invite, but (assuming I remembered correctly) that's like other youth soccer rules. Not actually a rule for everybody. So it just keeps rolling down till somebody accepts. I believe last year the Regional invite went to the 5th place team in the old 03 division after both FCD and Solar Gold declined. LP Trevino ended up going.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne 5/9/2017, 12:37 pm

Number13 wrote:
Dragon Nation wrote:  Incidentally with ODY & Solar already having tickets to Regionals in NC, the FCD vs DTS game is arguably for a ticket to Regionals...if I'm not mistaken.  The State Cup champ goes but if they already have a ticket, the runners up go.  That's how Sporting U went last year.  

You are correct, somebody will win a new Regional invite here.  I recall that part of State Cup entry last year was signing something to the effect that you would go to Regionals if you were awarded the invite, but (assuming I remembered correctly) that's like other youth soccer rules.   Not actually a rule for everybody.   So it just keeps rolling down till somebody accepts.  I believe last year the Regional invite went to the 5th place team in the old 03 division after both FCD and Solar Gold declined.  LP Trevino ended up going.

Wow!
Why do you think that these teams declined?
SnookumsConCarne
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 5/9/2017, 12:48 pm

SnookumsConCarne wrote:
Wow!

Conjecture.  Fcd doesn't seem to be too into any of this extra league stuff.  I believe they turned down SRPL also.  Either way June, especially last year with age shift, is a tough time to get team alignment on expensive trip with little warning.   I think both teams largely just ready to be done with the season at that time.  Prob not uncommon.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne 5/9/2017, 3:38 pm

Number13 wrote:
SnookumsConCarne wrote:
Wow!

Conjecture.  Fcd doesn't seem to be too into any of this extra league stuff.  I believe they turned down SRPL also.  Either way June, especially last year with age shift, is a tough time to get team alignment on expensive trip with little warning.   I think both teams largely just ready to be done with the season at that time.  Prob not uncommon.

June....... Damn! Uhmmm, Go FC Dallas(?) Evil or Very Mad
SnookumsConCarne
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Nation 5/9/2017, 7:06 pm

Yes the timing is kind of crazy.  Regionals is the last week of June but signing day is the 1st week of July.  Think of kids who will be looking for new teams.  They don't have a lot of time to try out anywhere so they basically have to rely on spots being open because coaches leave a few spots open waiting for the 2nd coming of Messi.  They may have to take advantage of relationships they've already build because a coach would have to take them without seeing them try out.  It could also be the fact that they are coming from a team that played so deep into June or in July at the National Championship tournament so the assumption would be they must be pretty good to even be on a team that was good enough to make it to Regionals & Nationals.

Dragon Nation
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

State Cup Empty Why did they decline??

Post by mpcls55 5/9/2017, 10:58 pm

I did notice last year that during halftime of their game at least one Solar player had resigned mid game. I assume they weren't optimistic about retention which was consistent across D1 last year. Nobody in NTX is looking for the next Messi unless he is 6'5 and shaves at halftime

mpcls55
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne 5/10/2017, 6:06 am

mpcls55 wrote:I did notice last year that during halftime of their game at least one Solar player had resigned mid game. I assume they weren't optimistic about retention which was consistent across D1 last year. Nobody in NTX is looking for the next Messi unless he is 6'5 and shaves at halftime

Wow!
The kid just quit?
Do you think that this was planned by him and his parents, if he wasn't getting enough playing time before halftime?
SnookumsConCarne
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 5/10/2017, 10:10 am

mpcls55 wrote:I did notice last year that during halftime of their game at least one Solar player had resigned mid game. I assume they weren't optimistic about retention which was consistent across D1 last year. Nobody in NTX is looking for the next Messi unless he is 6'5 and shaves at halftime

Solar Gold returned 5 kids from last year.   Tough to do Regionals if everyone is ready to be done.  That said, Solar Red 03 returned two players in their 02 incarnation this year, and they mustered a full roster for Regionals last year, knowing they were not returning.   That's some pretty damn good parents.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Nation 5/10/2017, 10:26 am

Yeah that was pretty tough last season on the parents, players & Stricker himself.  I mean with age pure changing everything you had parents & player worried about where they would be in the fall.  Then Stricker having to get 2 teams (02's & 03's) ready for Regionals while people were trying to position their kids in the best way possible.  Imagine trying to get your current teams ready to play some of the best teams in the country while your phone is ringing about potential spots you my have open, parents asking you what your plans are for their kid you're currently coaching, kids trying to focus not knowing what's going to happen & all the rumors that come from all the uncertainty.  So it was stressful for everyone.

Dragon Nation
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Nation 5/10/2017, 10:40 am

Once again Stricker has 2 teams to get ready for Regionals & at least 1 for Nationals (after the signing date).  Throw in If & when the phone starts ringing about possible tryouts (someone's always shooting for your spot as I remind my kids all the time), people looking to leave for other teams, moving away, quitting soccer completely & no none-soccer family vacations & you almost have to ask yourself is it better to just finish in the middle so you're done in May than close to the top & have your season drag on into July with the next season starting a month or so later...lol.  It definitely takes dedication & commitment from coaches, players & the rest of the family but I wouldn't trade it for the world.  These kids grow up so fast & they're gone before you know it.  So I say cherish every moment of it...great, good & bad Very Happy

Dragon Nation
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by plano02 5/10/2017, 2:08 pm

The bigger question is, is it better to play on a great team, and sit on the bench on these big stages, or to play the entire season on a middle of the road team in D1.

I would argue the latter. Nobody ever improved their game sitting on the bench with a bunch of medals in their pocket.

plano02
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Socceropath 5/10/2017, 2:34 pm

plano02 wrote:The bigger question is, is it better to play on a great team, and sit on the bench on these big stages, or to play the entire season on a middle of the road team in D1.

I would argue the latter.  Nobody ever improved their game sitting on the bench with a bunch of medals in their pocket.

Not to discount the importance of in-game touches, but BB will touch the ball 10x as much in practice than a game playing full time. If the training is a higher level, with higher level players surrounding him I'd argue he's getting more out of that from a developmental standpoint than playing time. If the quality of training is on the same level, obviously more playing time wins. Bottom line though is whether your BB can stay focused and motivated riding the pine.

If we're talking about a bench player on a DA team vs full time player on mid D1, to me the choice is obvious. DA all day, everyday. If its a choice between top D1 team vs #5 D1 team, go with playing time.

Socceropath
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 5/10/2017, 2:52 pm

Socceropath wrote:
plano02 wrote:The bigger question is, is it better to play on a great team, and sit on the bench on these big stages, or to play the entire season on a middle of the road team in D1.

I would argue the latter.  Nobody ever improved their game sitting on the bench with a bunch of medals in their pocket.

Not to discount the importance of in-game touches, but BB will touch the ball 10x as much in practice than a game playing full time.  If the training is a higher level, with higher level players surrounding him I'd argue he's getting more out of that from a developmental standpoint than playing time.  If the quality of training is on the same level, obviously more playing time wins.  Bottom line though is whether your BB can stay focused and motivated riding the pine.

If we're talking about a bench player on a DA team vs full time player on mid D1, to me the choice is obvious.  DA all day, everyday.  If its a choice between top D1 team vs #5 D1 team, go with playing time.

The games are supposed to be the "test".   And for a lot of kids, the most fun part of the experience.  I do think you learn a bit more about taking tests if you get to take more tests.   Though there is probably something to be said for learning that life isn't easy and you have to sometimes work harder or take your lumps.  

Everybody is different. I remember being on varsity as a sophomore and just hoping every day that the season would end.   Unfortunately we won State Championship.  I don't remember a thing about that game even though I played a tiny bit.  Not a thing.   Not playing much sucks.  

BB has only ever been a full-time player, this year on a mid D1 team.  0.0% interest in him being a bench player on a DA team over full time player on mid D1 team.  He may think getting to call himself a DA player is great, but I'm the one driving the car.  

In the end you're probably not doing this for any pot of gold.  Spending a year not playing is the pits.   Maybe this attitude is why BB can't seem to develop.  

State Cup you can only make 7 subs.  So if you have a 21 man roster or whatever, you are drawing short straws somewhere.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next