Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Stricker, Sawyer, and Solar Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Stricker, Sawyer, and Solar

+7
Forthegame4
Soccer_Dad_NTX
Sho'Nuff
Number13
Dragon Nation
Sprint
Uncleof05AP
11 posters

Go down

Stricker, Sawyer, and Solar Empty Stricker, Sawyer, and Solar

Post by Uncleof05AP 11/27/2017, 9:36 am

Other than what I read on the thread concerning the Bobby Rhine Tournament, I know nothing about Stricker, Sawyer, and Castro's team. Based on that thread, it seems clear that all three teams are exceptional. I am also assuming that Stricker and Sawyer's teams have some very good players. Thus, I began to wonder why Castro's DA team was not stronger. My boys are still young, but you often read on this site that the "best of the best" play DA. That would not seem to be the case here. Is there a reason certain Stricker and Sawyer kids are not playing DA? Do they want to also play high school sports? Are their teams close knit and want to stay together? Does Castro not want them because they do not fit his style? Are Stricker and Sawyer just great coaches and nobody wants to leave them? I know there is probably more than one answer.

It is easy to get caught up in the whole DA thing, but based on Stricker and Sawyer's teams, it appears that DA might not be the only path to "success" (however that might be determined). Anyway, I thought it was interesting, and I think the discussion would be beneficial to those with younger players that are just looking to do the right thing for their children or nephews.

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Stricker, Sawyer, and Solar Empty Re: Stricker, Sawyer, and Solar

Post by Sprint 11/27/2017, 10:19 am

There is no right or wrong answer to your question and it all matters on what is one's definition of "Success". Does success mean winning CL D1, does it mean winning State Cup, does it mean playing US Soccer regional tournaments, does it mean playing in DA showcases, does it mean getting on the US National team, does it mean playing in college? Lots of different paths for these things.

You are right in that DA is not the only path to choose. If you want to play tournaments, CL, high school sports, US Soccer events, etc then probably no reason to ever look the way of DA.

If you want to play college, have a chance at making US National team and be scouted on a regular basis, DA is probably your best bet. Notice I didn't say "only" choice as kids definitely get to the college level without DA, its probably just a little harder. I doubt you will see any non-DA kids on US youth national team rosters, unless they are in European acacdemies. The recent 02YNT roster for the Nike Friendlies was all DA kids. But that only pertains to about 1% of kids anyway so probably not a reason to choose DA.

Have seen a lot of DA and CL soccer and the level of play and style in DA is better in my personal view. That is a personal opinion based upon a desire to see kids play a skilled possession style of soccer and not high tempo, physical, direct style soccer. That style is effective and works well to win games with the right roster, but I believe DA teams at least try to entertain the thought of playing out of the back and a style that takes more skill and less brawn. If that appeals to your kid, DA is probably a better choice.

The CL team has the benefit of the kids getting to play HS soccer and compete in other sports as well so that is a benefit.

Sprint
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Nation 11/27/2017, 10:26 am

Excellent question.  I would be curious to hear what others think.  For my $.02 which is all it's worth, I think it depends on your kid's goals.  For mine he wouldn't go DA because he pays high school sports, loves his coach & teammates on his CL team.  Aside from that I don't know that he loves soccer so the idea of doing hours of soccer training daily doesn't appeal to him.  He also doesn't like 1000hrs of practice just to play in 10 games a year...I'm exaggerating but you get the point.  Our CL team plays 60+ games, in multiple leagues in front of numerous college coaches all while practicing 2x a week.  So for him CL is the best of all worlds.  I would think that's the same for the top CL teams.  Now if you're on a middle of the road to bottom team then DA might be a better option because you probably won't get the exposure your kid needs to play college soccer without a lot of divine intervention.  Again just my $02.  Also don't take anything from Castro's team, they are extremely good!  They are a clinic in possession & movement without the ball...it's a beautiful thing to see & scary if you on the defensive end of it.  Stricker & Sawyer are much more direct offensively & high pressure on the defensive end.

Dragon Nation
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 11/27/2017, 11:27 am

Yes, Castro's team is mostly made up of kids from last year's DA team.   But these are just three CL teams.   Who play very different styles.  I saw FCD and Solar older DA coaches out watching the Solar teams play and they were not watching Castro's team.   So lord knows who will be asked to play DA and where next year.

From what I can tell, Sawyer and Strickers team are largely sophomores.  Castros team is largely freshmen.   You can get a more successful team out of older athletic kids who train twice a week and don't love soccer then you can out of younger, perhaps less athletic, kids who train four times a week and do love soccer.   Especially if group A shoots and group B doesn't.    Very Happy

I think that for the individual kid they will likely improve more by practicing more soccer.  My kid is fine with 1000hrs of practice just for practice's sake, but people are different.   DA requires more practice.    I'm not 100% convinced that 4 regular practices with the same coach are better than 2 with the same coach, 2 with a skills coach, and then playing pickup soccer in the park.   But who knows.  Your mileage may vary.  

Why do any of this?   Would hope its because its fun.   Not some payoff in the future.  But fun.  Now.   I would bet that, in the end, its hard to imagine a more fun year of youth soccer than the one that the Stricker kid's had last year.

Last edited by Number13 on 11/27/2017, 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Nation 11/27/2017, 12:02 pm

Agreed Number 13

Dragon Nation
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/27/2017, 12:14 pm

Number13 wrote:I'm not 100% convinced that 4 regular practices with the same coach are better than 2 with the same coach, 2 with a skills coach, and then playing pickup soccer in the park.   But who knows.  Your mileage may vary.

I'm 100% convinced that you have to have diversity in training. 2 with your coach and 2 with a skills coach seems to have worked best for my kid. But that's just me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sho'Nuff 11/27/2017, 12:31 pm

ussoccerfan wrote:
Number13 wrote:I'm not 100% convinced that 4 regular practices with the same coach are better than 2 with the same coach, 2 with a skills coach, and then playing pickup soccer in the park.   But who knows.  Your mileage may vary.

I'm 100% convinced that you have to have diversity in training. 2 with your coach and 2 with a skills coach seems to have worked best for my kid. But that's just me.

I think all athletes should spend some time training by themselves, learning to self-coach.
Sho'Nuff
Sho'Nuff
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer_Dad_NTX 11/27/2017, 1:34 pm

Success defined as:

US MNT: Go DA
US YNT: Go DA
Pro player abroad: Go DA
Pro player US: Go DA
Play in College: Odds better with DA, but CL works
Good future O30 player: Either Smile

Soccer_Dad_NTX
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Forthegame4 11/30/2017, 3:02 am

Prior post is what is wrong with Soccer in the US. Here is my response

National team - go DA (which ended with the IS being eliminated in World Cup Qualifiers)

College - if you are doing this to get a scholarship, the better advice is to play Rec and save the club cost ($3,500-$5,500 if we include all expenses and are honest with ourselves). This would be roughly $50,000 over a 10 year period, nice college nest egg.

Forthegame4
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer_Dad_NTX 11/30/2017, 9:31 am

Forthegame4 - yeah, we would have done much better throughout the hex without any of the younger players who came through the DA like Pulisic. Great point.

Back to Stricker, Sawyer, and Solar... they've all achieved a lot already. Dallas has produced plenty of pros and even national team players. Will any come from these teams?

Soccer_Dad_NTX
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mpcls55 12/3/2017, 7:32 am

Personally, all this time and money is spent with an end game of my son playing HS Soccer, which facilitates a need to keep grades up and a sense of belonging. We’ve played for 1 or more of the “said” coaches in the title of this post. It wasn’t until after a HS soccer game that i’d seen my son smile walking off the pitch. There has to be a balance, but who knows where that exists. This season we’d be happy if we had a practice once in a while. Or a coach with some passion rather than looking like an actor in a Low T commercial during the games.

mpcls55
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Nation 12/9/2017, 7:49 am

Just wanted to say as much as we all argue about which coaches, teams & styles are better 1 thing we can agree on is that the talent & competition in NTX week end & week out is 2nd to none.  A lot of our NTX teams travel to tournaments & showcases around the country & play some of the best teams this country has to offer.  More times than not, the boys from NTX come out on top.  Dallas Texans South went to Nebraska last week & came out on top.  FC Dallas Premiere won a tournament last week, out of the state.  NTX teams routinely win the Colorado tournament.  Sawyer, Castro & Ayses hand it to the out of state teams that come to NTX to play in our tournaments.  Odyssey is killing all the teams they play in National Premiere League.  Last year Stricker finished 2nd in National League, won SRPL, Regionals & the National Championship.  Stricker & FCD Premiere are fighting it out in SRPL this year for the top 2 spots.  Odyssey & Stricker are both in North Carolina this week playing in National League against some of the best teams in Carolina, OK, Cali, VA, WA, MO, AZ...etc.  Apologies, I'm sure I've left out other NTX teams & many tournament wins but my point is we all may have different opinions about who & what style of play is better but regardless of who's coaching what team & what style, the coaches & players in NTX are killing it in the state & around the country!  I can tell you that everywhere we go to play around this country people respect NTX soccer like no other.  They hate to see NTX teams in their brackets but most often they use us as the measuring stick.  Every time I'm asked where our team is from, I stick my chest out & proudly say "North Texas" & you should too.  Good luck to all NTX teams ⚽️

Dragon Nation
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne 12/9/2017, 8:41 pm

Dragon Nation wrote:Just wanted to say as much as we all argue about which coaches, teams & styles are better 1 thing we can agree on is that the talent & competition in NTX week end & week out is 2nd to none.  A lot of our NTX teams travel to tournaments & showcases around the country & play some of the best teams this country has to offer.  More times than not, the boys from NTX come out on top.  Dallas Texans South went to Nebraska last week & came out on top.  FC Dallas Premiere won a tournament last week, out of the state.  NTX teams routinely win the Colorado tournament.  Sawyer, Castro & Ayses hand it to the out of state teams that come to NTX to play in our tournaments.  Odyssey is killing all the teams they play in National Premiere League.  Last year Stricker finished 2nd in National League, won SRPL, Regionals & the National Championship.  Stricker & FCD Premiere are fighting it out in SRPL this year for the top 2 spots.  Odyssey & Stricker are both in North Carolina this week playing in National League against some of the best teams in Carolina, OK, Cali, VA, WA, MO, AZ...etc.  Apologies, I'm sure I've left out other NTX teams & many tournament wins but my point is we all may have different opinions about who & what style of play is better but regardless of who's coaching what team & what style, the coaches & players in NTX are killing it in the state & around the country!  I can tell you that everywhere we go to play around this country people respect NTX soccer like no other.  They hate to see NTX teams in their brackets but most often they use us as the measuring stick.  Every time I'm asked where our team is from, I stick my chest out & proudly say "North Texas" & you should too.  Good luck to all NTX teams ⚽️

Señor Dragon Nation: The Dallas “Dirty South” Texans went to Kansas, not Nebraska, last weekend.
Good luck to you guys in this weekend.
¡Ciao!
SnookumsConCarne
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit 1/9/2018, 7:03 pm

Well it looks like Sawyer played at Disney and definitively showed that they are NOT “ready to compete with all the top teams in the country”. Played 3 games in by far the easiest bracket (No state Cup Champions, Regional Qualifiers or National League teams). Lost by combined score of 8-2 in the 3 games. On the bright side, they did manage to beat the #57 team in Region 3 (#298 National Rank). Lol

Bandit
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Riquelme Rises 1/10/2018, 10:04 am

Bandit wrote:Well it looks like Sawyer played at Disney and definitively showed that they are NOT “ready to compete with all the top teams in the country”. Played 3 games in by far the easiest bracket (No state Cup Champions, Regional Qualifiers or National League teams).  Lost by combined score of 8-2 in the 3 games. On the bright side, they did manage to beat the #57 team in Region 3 (#298 National Rank). Lol

Making fun of team? Real mature.
Riquelme Rises
Riquelme Rises
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne 1/12/2018, 11:55 am

Riquelme Rises wrote:
Bandit wrote:Well it looks like Sawyer played at Disney and definitively showed that they are NOT “ready to compete with all the top teams in the country”. Played 3 games in by far the easiest bracket (No state Cup Champions, Regional Qualifiers or National League teams).  Lost by combined score of 8-2 in the 3 games. On the bright side, they did manage to beat the #57 team in Region 3 (#298 National Rank). Lol

Making fun of team? Real mature.

Very Happy
SnookumsConCarne
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne 1/12/2018, 12:05 pm

Are you a current or former disgruntled Solar Sawyer parent?
You’ve posted only twice on this forum.
On both posts, you singled out and attacked this Sawyer team.
Why?
SnookumsConCarne
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Riquelme Rises 1/12/2018, 12:19 pm

SnookumsConCarne wrote:

Why?

Because his bb probably rode the bench there....or was turned away at a tryout.
Riquelme Rises
Riquelme Rises
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne 1/12/2018, 2:24 pm

Riquelme Rises wrote:
SnookumsConCarne wrote:

Why?

Well yes, that’s probably what it is.
It’s sad, really.
I’m going to miss all of these salty, spiteful parents and their internet jabs at other kids and the coaches.
These mofos crack me up.

Because his bb probably rode the bench there....or was turned away at a tryout.
SnookumsConCarne
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down