Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Is this Normal? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Is this Normal?

+3
itscalledfootball
dr.evil
leviathan
7 posters

Go down

Is this Normal? Empty Is this Normal?

Post by leviathan 11/1/2010, 12:11 pm

Can someone tell me if this is normal? As an example our coach has flipped all of the players save the keepers from their past normal positions. We also have some players who do not show up on time to games or practice as well as miss practice regularly during the week. However these players are allowed to play the majority of the game and are not benched for any time for failing to follow the team rules for games and practice.
This has caused some hard feelings for parents and players alike. Players are also not tried in different positions to see if it would make a difference. For me it is aggravating to know nothing is being changed around to find something that works especially when we are driving over an hour each way to practice and games. Any advice, has this happened on your team, any comments?

leviathan
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Is this Normal? Empty Re: Is this Normal?

Post by dr.evil 11/1/2010, 12:26 pm

Yes, it happens in every sport, on every team, in all different age divisions and levels! Are these kids you speak of "god's gift to (fill in the blank with sport of choice)". Who can do no wrong and is allowed to make mistake after mistake? Advice? Let me get back to you.

dr.evil
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by leviathan 11/1/2010, 12:48 pm

Glad to hear it is not just us going through this. These others are making lots of mistakes but it is easy to criticize from the sides when you are not playing. My child gets a fair amount of playing time however he is having to learn a position he has really never played in. I realize the more positions you play adds greater depth to a team and a player, but when should a coach say this isn't working lets change it up and move players around.

leviathan
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by itscalledfootball 11/1/2010, 12:53 pm

leviathan wrote: Can someone tell me if this is normal? As an example our coach has flipped all of the players save the keepers from their past normal positions. We also have some players who do not show up on time to games or practice as well as miss practice regularly during the week. However these players are allowed to play the majority of the game and are not benched for any time for failing to follow the team rules for games and practice.
This has caused some hard feelings for parents and players alike. Players are also not tried in different positions to see if it would make a difference. For me it is aggravating to know nothing is being changed around to find something that works especially when we are driving over an hour each way to practice and games. Any advice, has this happened on your team, any comments?

Coaching is a hard thing to do as there are many ways you can do it and have success. No coach trys to play players in positions he does not think they can perform well in. as a coach you try to put players on the field that will give them and the team the most success as possible. i have seen youth systems where players learn to play all positions to be a better all round player in the future. as for players not showing up to practise and following team rules. this is a difficult one. im assuming these players are starters or star players. sadly if your team is uncompetitive without them on the field they can be above the rules. coaches have to balance trying to win and being fair. if you lose all season players quit. if your playing favourites players can leave. its a difficult one.i could see how it must be hard for parents when there kids are being over looked or not being played where they think they should. but out of all they opinions the coaches is the only one that matters. i do not know your team or coach but im sure he/or she is doing what they think will give your team the best chance to win and learn the game.
itscalledfootball
itscalledfootball
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by leviathan 11/1/2010, 1:06 pm

itscalledfootball wrote:

Coaching is a hard thing to do as there are many ways you can do it and have success. No coach trys to play players in positions he does not think they can perform well in. as a coach you try to put players on the field that will give them and the team the most success as possible. i have seen youth systems where players learn to play all positions to be a better all round player in the future. as for players not showing up to practise and following team rules. this is a difficult one. im assuming these players are starters or star players. sadly if your team is uncompetitive without them on the field they can be above the rules. coaches have to balance trying to win and being fair. if you lose all season players quit. if your playing favourites players can leave. its a difficult one.i could see how it must be hard for parents when there kids are being over looked or not being played where they think they should. but out of all they opinions the coaches is the only one that matters. i do not know your team or coach but im sure he/or she is doing what they think will give your team the best chance to win and learn the game.

I am fine with my child's position on the field and for the most part his playing time. The starters or stars I do not understand yet as there are 3-4 others on the team as good or better but they are not given the chance in the same positions as the stars. I am coming to "select" from rec so it is different especially for my child to be finally playing with his own age group and not playing up as he has had to do for the past 3 calendar years. Thank you for the insight and having seen the coach's credentials I know he is well qualified. I guess you could say I needed to vent and get other peoples perspectives.

leviathan
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by mrclean 11/1/2010, 5:31 pm

Your feelings are very common for parents moving from Rec to Select. I think the frustration is felt more by the parents of kids that are put into the position of Defender (Backs). To me this frustration comes from our country's ignorance towards soccer where we praise the attackers for their goals and assists but tend to blame the goals against on the defenders. Some parents and players have also sometimes seen teams where the less skilled players were put in the back so you feel like your child is at the bottom of the roster. Since the kids try out every year this can be a source of worry.

A few comments:
1. Coaches put kids into different positions for a variety of reasons: skill, size, speed, personality, decision making, parent pressure, etc.

2. The most important thing that should be happening on a select teams is that your child is becoming a better soccer player. This means that they should improve on their:
- technical skills - dribbling,passing receiving, shooting,heading,etc.
- attacking (making runs, confident 1v1 etc)
- defending ( tackling, team shape/defending)
- knowledge/tactical

3. Personally, I see the small sided games on the practice field to be where your child really develops.

4. The game allows the team a fun day where they can play as a team and learn how to work together as a team. You also develop the mental part of competing. The game presents a learning environment where players learn from their mistakes and from their opponents.

5. As a Dad of two defenders (backs), I've always encouaged my boys to try to win the 1v1 battles on the practice field and try to score goals on the small sided games. Too many defenders (backs) lose their 1v1 confidence and this really shouldn't happen.

By the way,"defender" is not a position. Defending is what the team does when they don't possess the ball. When the team possesses the ball, the backs become attackers as well.

mrclean
mrclean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Yak Attack 11/1/2010, 10:31 pm

mrclean wrote:Your feelings are very common for parents moving from Rec to Select. I think the frustration is felt more by the parents of kids that are put into the position of Defender (Backs). To me this frustration comes from our country's ignorance towards soccer where we praise the attackers for their goals and assists but tend to blame the goals against on the defenders.

Sounds like forward (attacker) envy. Wink

I've always been lead to believe that everyone is an attacker and should look for goals. I mean after all, you've never gonna get Ronaldo to commit to defense.

Yak Attack
Yak Attack
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrclean 11/1/2010, 10:35 pm

Dang it Yak Attack, you just outed me! Crying or Very sad
I will also add that I'm a drummer that can't stand watching the girls chase after the Lead Singer. Lots of years of angst here.
mrclean
mrclean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by leviathan 11/2/2010, 7:36 am

It appears you missed my comment that I am fine with my child's position. Yes he is on the back line and he is in the top 3 for speed on the team and top 4 in height. My concern was why wouldn't a coach make some changes trying other players in positions they are used to playing. I do not mind the commitment and time involved but would like to see changes that could possibly benefit the team. There is 3 other kids I believe would shine if played up front. This is my child's only outlet to play anymore there is no school teams for him to play on and the rec team he has been on has basically folded (U-19). My child is playing for the love of the game and competitiveness rather than school opportunities.

leviathan
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 11/2/2010, 12:08 pm

Can't help but wonder if he is a 96( this is the 96 blog)what do you mean that is his only option? There are HS teams everywhere and rec and indoor everywhere. Not to mention the three select leagues compromising about another 50 or 60 96 teams.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by leviathan 11/2/2010, 12:20 pm

my2cents wrote:Can't help but wonder if he is a 96( this is the 96 blog)what do you mean that is his only option? There are HS teams everywhere and rec and indoor everywhere. Not to mention the three select leagues compromising about another 50 or 60 96 teams.

Yes he is a 96. In our home area there is nothing else yes there are other teams in the DFW area I meant the only option as playing Select or Rec in this area. We drive over an hour each way to practice and for games.

leviathan
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 11/2/2010, 2:21 pm

Where do you live? In sort of the same situation, location wise, 40 minutes to closest team for me.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by leviathan 11/2/2010, 2:24 pm

my2cents wrote:Where do you live? In sort of the same situation, location wise, 40 minutes to closest team for me.

Rather not say, but there are plenty of corn fields around

leviathan
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdad1 11/6/2010, 2:19 pm

Ahh-the sacrifices of living in the country.
soccerdad1
soccerdad1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum