Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Are Americans becoming soccer fans Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Are Americans becoming soccer fans

+7
pitchfever
happyfeet
homer999
chasematt
DadofDefense
afrankw
TheFarPost
11 posters

Go down

Are Americans becoming soccer fans Empty Are Americans becoming soccer fans

Post by TheFarPost 7/29/2009, 3:10 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203609204574317122524606410.html#mod=WSJ_myyahoo_module

This is a good article from the wall street journal!
TheFarPost
TheFarPost
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Are Americans becoming soccer fans Empty Re: Are Americans becoming soccer fans

Post by afrankw 7/29/2009, 3:21 pm

TheFarPost wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203609204574317122524606410.html#mod=WSJ_myyahoo_module

This is a good article from the wall street journal!

Thanks for sharing.
afrankw
afrankw
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DadofDefense 8/3/2009, 12:30 pm

Are Americans becoming soccer fans?

NO! More are becoming soccer curious, but not to the level of fan-dom. Just look at the thread "FCD - low ticket sales". The numbers stink ---- for EVERY team. Dallas is the worst.

I love going to watch my son play soccer. I have enjoyed a few MLS games. I used to be a Sidekick season ticket holder ---- RIP Sidekicks Crying or Very sad . But Im not going to be a FCD season ticket holder when I have to drive forever across the metroplex only to get there and see a mediocre team with a college coach.
DadofDefense
DadofDefense
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chasematt 8/3/2009, 11:26 pm

DadofDefense wrote:Are Americans becoming soccer fans?

NO! More are becoming soccer curious, but not to the level of fan-dom. Just look at the thread "FCD - low ticket sales". The numbers stink ---- for EVERY team. Dallas is the worst.

I love going to watch my son play soccer. I have enjoyed a few MLS games. I used to be a Sidekick season ticket holder ---- RIP Sidekicks Crying or Very sad . But Im not going to be a FCD season ticket holder when I have to drive forever across the metroplex only to get there and see a mediocre team with a college coach.
The location of PHP is relative - If you live anywhere from downtown Dallas north its a 30 minute drive on the tollway. We make it from Wylie in under 30 barring traffic. It takes over an hour to get to the ballpark from here or anywhere else north and east of Dallas. Even when the boys played at Texas Stadium it was a 45 minute drive plus an hour in line to get off the highway just to pay $15 to park. PHP is free parking (except during youth tournaments Neutral ).
Everyone seems to forget most pro sports coaches started in the college ranks (Think Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer.....) so why is everyone throwing Hyndman under the bus for being a college coach first? I guess everyone wants someone with no coaching experience rather than college experience?
As far as US becoming fans I think the tide is turning but it will be a long road. I know my kid has my DVR fileld with every soccer match he can find. Might be the difference for the future that todays kids are getting much more exposure to the via cable where 5-10 years ago you couldn't find any soccer except maybe World Cup which was probably on ESPN37 on delay at 3am........

chasematt
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by homer999 8/4/2009, 12:30 am

good article. Guess they didn't see the attendance numbers.
homer999
homer999
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by happyfeet 8/4/2009, 8:16 am

chasematt wrote:

The location of PHP is relative - If you live anywhere from downtown Dallas north its a 30 minute drive on the tollway. We make it from Wylie in under 30 barring traffic. It takes over an hour to get to the ballpark from here or anywhere else north and east of Dallas. Even when the boys played at Texas Stadium it was a 45 minute drive plus an hour in line to get off the highway just to pay $15 to park. PHP is free parking (except during youth tournaments Neutral ).
Everyone seems to forget most pro sports coaches started in the college ranks (Think Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer.....) so why is everyone throwing Hyndman under the bus for being a college coach first? I guess everyone wants someone with no coaching experience rather than college experience?
As far as US becoming fans I think the tide is turning but it will be a long road. I know my kid has my DVR fileld with every soccer match he can find. Might be the difference for the future that todays kids are getting much more exposure to the via cable where 5-10 years ago you couldn't find any soccer except maybe World Cup which was probably on ESPN37 on delay at 3am........
Not sure why everybody complains about PHP being in Frisco....has anyone ever lived in another major city? It's not uncommon for a 45 min to hour drive to get to a stadium. The problem is the quality of play! And you ask...why is everyone picking on poor Hyndman? Cuz he sucks!
happyfeet
happyfeet
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by homer999 8/4/2009, 9:46 am

Soccer in America is like ance - it gets under your skin as a kid but eventually you outgrow it.
homer999
homer999
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchfever 8/4/2009, 3:59 pm

happyfeet wrote:
chasematt wrote:

Not sure why everybody complains about PHP being in Frisco....has anyone ever lived in another major city? It's not uncommon for a 45 min to hour drive to get to a stadium. The problem is the quality of play! And you ask...why is everyone picking on poor Hyndman? Cuz he sucks!

It's not PHP - it's a great facility. Yes, Frisco is a drive for some, but if you really want to see a game you'll make a drive, no matter where the stadium, if the product on the field is good and competitive - you will make the trip if you are a fan. I use to drive almost an hour to go see the games in the worn out / outdated / empty Cotton Bowl - not because of the facility but because I wanted to see the games.
Let's not kid ourselves, the product on the field is not good / the marketing and friendliness to non FC Dallas clubs is not good / and I don't want to pay $7.50 for a cold one............ Exclamation
pitchfever
pitchfever
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Tequilapark 8/4/2009, 4:15 pm

pitchfever wrote:
happyfeet wrote:
chasematt wrote:

It's not PHP - it's a great facility. Yes, Frisco is a drive for some, but if you really want to see a game you'll make a drive, no matter where the stadium, if the product on the field is good and competitive - you will make the trip if you are a fan. I use to drive almost an hour to go see the games in the worn out / outdated / empty Cotton Bowl - not because of the facility but because I wanted to see the games.
Let's not kid ourselves, the product on the field is not good / the marketing and friendliness to non FC Dallas clubs is not good / and I don't want to pay $7.50 for a cold one............ Exclamation
Attendance a couple of years ago was averaging around 15,000 per game, now its less than 10,000, a very big drop.
I agree its not the park, the metroplex is so big that it would not matter were you build a stadium, most would need to drive around 30 minutes to get there.
Put a winning team on the field and the fans will come.
Tequilapark
Tequilapark
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerrus2 8/10/2009, 6:46 am

homer999 wrote:Soccer in America is like ance - it gets under your skin as a kid but eventually you outgrow it.

You are wrong. Just because you didn't grow up with it doesnt mean this next generation will not support it.

soccerrus2
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by True10 8/12/2009, 3:14 pm

I think today shows that Americans are still slow to embace soccer. US v Mexico is on Telemundo only.
Go USA. My prediction US 2-1 Mexico, so far US up 1-0. Very Happy

Last edited by True10 on 8/12/2009, 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bad grammar)
True10
True10
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by rip 8/12/2009, 3:59 pm

The telecast on Telemundo has nothing to do with the US soccer interest as Mexico (i.e. the home team) has unequivocal broadcast rights. The fact that mun2 has opened up the English broadcast to non-subscribers actually speaks well to the positive trend in soccer interest in the US.
rip
rip
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by True10 8/12/2009, 4:10 pm

rip wrote:The telecast on Telemundo has nothing to do with the US soccer interest as Mexico (i.e. the home team) has unequivocal broadcast rights. The fact that mun2 has opened up the English broadcast to non-subscribers actually speaks well to the positive trend in soccer interest in the US.
Did not know that. But didn't ESPN broadcst some away games for the US in WC qualifying?
True10
True10
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by True10 8/12/2009, 4:12 pm

BTW thanks for the mun2 info, just found it.
True10
True10
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by rip 8/12/2009, 4:23 pm

True10 wrote:
rip wrote:The telecast on Telemundo has nothing to do with the US soccer interest as Mexico (i.e. the home team) has unequivocal broadcast rights. The fact that mun2 has opened up the English broadcast to non-subscribers actually speaks well to the positive trend in soccer interest in the US.
Did not know that. But didn't ESPN broadcst some away games for the US in WC qualifying?
I believe the home team controls the broadcast rights and can negotiate with whomever they choose.... at least within some set of general parameters.
rip
rip
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down