Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Flipping throw-ins Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Flipping throw-ins

+8
swindler
Texas101
omega striker
happyfeet
DadofDefense
Axxman
b0013
Ibystander
12 posters

Go down

Flipping throw-ins Empty Flipping throw-ins

Post by Ibystander 9/11/2009, 5:23 pm

I saw a kid do a flip throw-in. Don't know how he can figure out where he's going to throw the ball. Any thoughts on that? It looked great, but I'm not sure it was smart?
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Flipping throw-ins Empty Re: Flipping throw-ins

Post by b0013 9/11/2009, 5:41 pm

Ibystander wrote:I saw a kid do a flip throw-in. Don't know how he can figure out where he's going to throw the ball. Any thoughts on that? It looked great, but I'm not sure it was smart?

The "flip throw" is supposed to be for distance, right...? So, if the kid throwing in can throw the ball far enough to drop in front of the other teams goal similar to a corner kick...that's a good opportunity and a chance to score.

IMO, for any other reason, "the flip" turns a possession ball into a 50/50 ball. Why not just do a regular throw in. I've seen many kids that can throw in a ball just as far and put it at his teams feet...without doing the flip thingy.

Last edited by b0013 on 9/11/2009, 6:29 pm; edited 8 times in total
b0013
b0013
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Axxman 9/11/2009, 5:44 pm

b0013 wrote:
Ibystander wrote:I saw a kid do a flip throw-in. Don't know how he can figure out where he's going to throw the ball. Any thoughts on that? It looked great, but I'm not sure it was smart?
The "flip throw" is supposed to be for distance, right...? So, if the kid throwing in can throw the ball far enough to drop in front of the other teams goal similar to a corner kick...that's a good oppuntunty and a chance to score.
IMO, for any other reason, it's an embarsement to the team and turns a possession ball into a 50/50 ball. Why not just do a regular throw in.
You guys are talking about our team I believe. When the ball is near the opponents box, he can put it in the box where he wants to a high percentage of the time, I'd say 75% plus. I'd say it works almost as well as a corner kick. So if you have that potential, why not use it to your advantage?

Axxman
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by DadofDefense 9/11/2009, 6:20 pm

Ever seen this flipping throw-in? It's about 17 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVAD8Zl5ngg
DadofDefense
DadofDefense
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by happyfeet 9/11/2009, 6:29 pm

See what happens when you stand so close to the touch line on throw ins!
happyfeet
happyfeet
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibystander 9/11/2009, 6:46 pm

DadofDefense wrote:Ever seen this flipping throw-in? It's about 17 seconds in:

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVAD8Zl5ngg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVAD8Zl5ngg[/quote[/url]]
Ouchy! Listen to the parents in the background Flipping throw-ins Icon_smile Hey, that's not right! That was on purpose!
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 9/11/2009, 6:46 pm

I think that falls under creativity or uniqueness so people don't hate appreciate! I thought it was cool to see a kid that young to even pull it off!
Axx tel him I said to do it everytime especially when i'm watching! Flipping throw-ins Icon_cheers
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas101 9/11/2009, 7:28 pm

Saw the thread and had to jump in, my 13 year old niece does the flip throw and it can be to a teams advantage. The other team can't always anticipate where it's going and they actually have plays designed just for this. They have scored many goals with this and it is often as effective as a corner kick. After many years of gymnastics she can pretty much place the ball wherever she wants to.

Texas101
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by swindler 9/11/2009, 9:08 pm

b0013 wrote:The "flip throw" is supposed to be for distance, right...? So, if the kid throwing in can throw the ball far enough to drop in front of the other teams goal similar to a corner kick...that's a good opportunity and a chance to score.

IMO, for any other reason, "the flip" turns a possession ball into a 50/50 ball. Why not just do a regular throw in. I've seen many kids that can throw in a ball just as far and put it at his teams feet...without doing the flip thingy

A lot of the YouTube videos you might see of players trying it look just like regular throws. But I watched a kid from Louisiana in a U17 tournament that did the flip throw anytime his team was inside the opponent's third. He could throw it to the back post even when he was 30 yards out from the touch line. But this kid looked like an accomplished gymnast when he did it. Very powerful throw. We had a pretty big guy that had pretty good distance, but no way anyone else on the field could get near that kid's flip throw.

Like b0013 said, a throw-in that drops inside the box is a pretty sweet thing.
swindler
swindler
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibystander 9/11/2009, 9:37 pm

Texas101 wrote:Saw the thread and had to jump in, my 13 year old niece does the flip throw and it can be to a teams advantage. The other team can't always anticipate where it's going and they actually have plays designed just for this. They have scored many goals with this and it is often as effective as a corner kick. After many years of gymnastics she can pretty much place the ball wherever she wants to.
Ok, I'll test this out myself.  Used to be a gymnast, but never a soccer player though, so won't know how well that'll work.  I'll try to do a flip throw, a run throw, and a standing one.  I'll get back to this board with my scientific findings.
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 9/11/2009, 9:55 pm

I saw two do it - one a '99 - that Axx mentioned - he can pretty much replicate a very good corner kick (instant scoring opportunity). The other was a '00 and he let go of it so early, it was worse than a normal throw-in - I guess it's good practice, but it was the equivalent of taking a free kick with your weaker leg, imo.
I have a neighbor (girl) who used to try it - very good gymnast - she fell down about a third of the time she'd attempt it.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Slakemoth 9/11/2009, 10:24 pm

Ibystander wrote:Ok, I'll test this out myself. Used to be a gymnast, but never a soccer player though, so won't know how well that'll work. I'll try to do a flip throw, a run throw, and a standing one. I'll get back to this board with my scientific findings.

Who is going to type for you when you have two broken wrists?... and please make sure this attempt ends up on youtube as soon as possible, or America's Funniest Home Videos.

To learn a technique for long throws that is a bit more practical for the kids... take a look at Rory Delap.. plays for Stoke right now and has a truly deadly "long throw".. I found this great pdf file that analyzes his throw and shows how to pull it off ( or a reasonable attempt).. very simple for the kids to grasp.
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2008/09/18/sport.football.throwin.pdf
Slakemoth
Slakemoth
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by plantit 9/11/2009, 10:36 pm

It's really cool and can be affective . But it takes a ball that would be a 70-75% to 30 and turns it into a 50/50 and when everyone gets big and can throw it 30 yrds it's pretty much renderd useless .At the pro level a throw in mearly puts the ball back in play, most don't even defend it. At this age, fun to watch, so chuck away!!
plantit
plantit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by scrmum 9/11/2009, 10:43 pm

For the kids who can execute it consistently, it's effective and fun to watch. It seems more prevalant among the younger kids, who can't get a lot of distance any other way.

scrmum
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum