Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Developing a defender Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Developing a defender

+10
vman
Sweeper20
The German
scrdad
Laimport
omega striker
plantit
mrclean
GoWide
anatural
14 posters

Go down

Developing a defender Empty Developing a defender

Post by anatural 10/30/2011, 8:41 pm

Question for those who have a BB playing defense at academy level. Did your BB always play a defensive position? Do u feel that some kids are ' natural' defenders or do coaches pigeon hole kids in this position? If your BB is a 'natural'' defender ?at what age did u figure this out? Do u think they develop less playing this position at a young age. One of the reasons I ask is because I notice that almost all coaches bb's are NOT defenders. Is there a reason for this? Also through the years have seen parents pull their kids off teams because they were playing defense. Don't know much about soccer for the long run but these are just my observations of perhaps those who grew up with soccer......they don't seem to want their BB playing defense. Why?
anatural
anatural
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Developing a defender Empty Playing Defender

Post by GoWide 10/30/2011, 9:01 pm

My BB started in Defense (When he was 7) he was placed back there because no one could get past him. He continue to play that position until we went to select and that coach decided he would be a better Defensive Center Mid. And he was right he, was on fire (once he got the position down). When he guest's with other teams he usually plays Defense and he can play any position back there. When he goes to a coach that he does not know well he just tells them he is a defender and stays put! He has found that most coaches rarely sub out their defenders, if they are doing what they need to do. Hence more play time!

Last edited by GoWide on 10/31/2011, 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total

GoWide
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Developing a defender Empty Re: Developing a defender

Post by mrclean 10/30/2011, 9:34 pm

As a Dad of two defenders and also a high school coach, I have a few thoughts about this issue. First, soccer is soccer. It really doesn't matter what part of the field you are playing on the skills are the same. What is different is that Backs need to take less risks in games. Their consistency and decision making must be very reliable. Depending on the team's style sometimes Backs get very few touches compared to Midfielders. As a Dad, that part concerns me a little. I have seen Backs lose their confidence with the ball. You have to play 1v1 if you are decent soccer player. Mids and forwards get plenty of practice with this in games. Bsically, I have always told my boys to get plenty of touches in practice. Take on people and try to score whenever possible. Basically just be more attack minded in practice because losing a small sided game in a practice session doesn't matter as much as the hustle, runs, etc. If anyone tells you that you are a defender when playing 3v3, you should ignore them. 3v3 has 3 attackers and 3 defenders.
mrclean
mrclean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by plantit 10/30/2011, 9:34 pm

anatural wrote:Question for those who have a BB playing defense at academy level. Did your BB always play a defensive position? Do u feel that some kids are ' natural' defenders or do coaches pigeon hole kids in this position? If your BB is a 'natural'' defender ?at what age did u figure this out? Do u think they develop less playing this position at a young age. One of the reasons I ask is because I notice that almost all coaches bb's are NOT defenders. Is there a reason for this? Also through the years have seen parents pull their kids off teams because they were playing defense. Don't know much about soccer for the long run but these are just my observations of perhaps those who grew up with soccer......they don't seem to want their BB playing defense. Why?

Why? cuzz it's thankless job with all the pressure and none of the glory. You lose the def gets the blame , you win the forwards / offense gets the credit .
plantit
plantit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 10/30/2011, 9:51 pm

plantit wrote:
anatural wrote:Question for those who have a BB playing defense at academy level. Did your BB always play a defensive position? Do u feel that some kids are ' natural' defenders or do coaches pigeon hole kids in this position? If your BB is a 'natural'' defender ?at what age did u figure this out? Do u think they develop less playing this position at a young age. One of the reasons I ask is because I notice that almost all coaches bb's are NOT defenders. Is there a reason for this? Also through the years have seen parents pull their kids off teams because they were playing defense. Don't know much about soccer for the long run but these are just my observations of perhaps those who grew up with soccer......they don't seem to want their BB playing defense. Why?

Why? cuzz it's thankless job with all the pressure and none of the glory. You lose the def gets the blame , you win the forwards / offense gets the credit .
wiseman you are sir! Cool
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by anatural 10/30/2011, 10:04 pm

Thankfully BB has been playing defense long enough he knows it is a thankless job but seems to enjoy it none the less. I appreciate the input about touches on the ball as a defender. That does concern me at times. We stress that he must be aggressive and not be afraid to make mistakes. I think finding a coach that allows defenders to attack and carry the ball out is what we have focused on even at a young age. We may lose some games with this approach but he won't Get any better booting the ball every time it rolls his way.
anatural
anatural
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 10/31/2011, 7:43 am

Develop defenders? Have you seen our naonal team play lately? That's the most glaring problem with us soccer in general. You can't win without a strong backline!

Everyone likes to talk about stylish, attacking football. Great. But Barca wouldn't be what they are without a strong backline.

There's an art to defending. No question. Problem is we don't spend much time training defenders or even defense in general. Not anything I have observed anyway.

There seems to be a mindset among parents that defenders don't need to work on their technique as much as mids or forwards. BS! A great first touch especially is as important for a defender as it is for midfielders and forwards.

Besides, the best teams generally have defenders that contribute heavily to the attack. Outside backs that overlap and make dangerous runs. Centerbacks that can bring the ball out of defense and initiate buildup play.

All that said, the best defenders at the highest levels were converted center mids and strikers.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by scrdad 10/31/2011, 7:48 am

anatural wrote:Thankfully BB has been playing defense long enough he knows it is a thankless job but seems to enjoy it none the less. I appreciate the input about touches on the ball as a defender. That does concern me at times. We stress that he must be aggressive and not be afraid to make mistakes. I think finding a coach that allows defenders to attack and carry the ball out is what we have focused on even at a young age. We may lose some games with this approach but he won't Get any better booting the ball every time it rolls his way.

I think a lot depends on the coach. My BB started off as a defender because he locked it down back there ... but the coach encouraged him to bring the ball up, mmake the smart pass or carry it until someone stopped him. He ended up being the second leading scorer on the team as a defender (that probably says something about the team! lol). When we changed clubs, the new coach had seen him play and immediately moved him to forward and sometimes mid. Based on our experience, if the coach is enouraging defenders at a young age to take touches, beat kids 1v1, rotates kids in practice, etc., nothing wrong with playing back there all the time in games. If the coach is a proponent of the "clear it" strategy and all your bb does is boot the ball down the field, you have a problem.

scrdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by The German 10/31/2011, 8:29 am

plantit wrote:

A good coach will let the defense know when they did a good job or even won the game for them.
The German
The German
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweeper20 10/31/2011, 8:55 am

Bringing the ball up and pushing forward are not the same as playing outside mid or forward. Don't let your BB play "back" the entire time until he reaches an age where it makes sense. There is no "good" reason a coach can give you if development of a complete player is the most important thing at a young age. Talk to some of the coaches that have players that made it through to the higher levels they will tell you that for many the position they play today is not the same position they played when they started with them years earlier.

The strategy for coaches is to win games. Corner kicks, making runs without the ball, set plays for scoring opportunties, crossing the ball , beating kids 1v1, how to beat a goalie when you have pressure on you, consistently playing through balls, and lastly depending the nature of the team the cardio of a box to box mid is much different than any other position. I am sure I missed many things that are clearly different, I get you can get all of those things in very small doses while playing D but repitition is the key. You are missing out on well over half the game.

Sweeper20
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 10/31/2011, 9:17 am

The reverse is also true. I see a lot of players that are only 'attack minded' and either can't or don't know how to defend properly. And defending is a lot more than just tackling.

It's good for players to get experience playing different positions. Parents have a hard time dealing with this fact. They want jr. to get the glory of scoring goals and otherwise constantly having the ball at their feet during games.

Speaking of 'repitition' a player needs to spend as much time as possible working on their first touch and overall technique outside of practice. Indoor, futsal and 3v3 allows them (forces them) to be a 2 way player...i.e. a complete player.

Touches in a game environment are secondary to team training and individual skill training.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by vman 10/31/2011, 9:33 am

Laimport wrote:Develop defenders? Have you seen our naonal team play lately? That's the most glaring problem with us soccer in general. You can't win without a strong backline!

Everyone likes to talk about stylish, attacking football. Great. But Barca wouldn't be what they are without a strong backline.

There's an art to defending. No question. Problem is we don't spend much time training defenders or even defense in general. Not anything I have observed anyway.

There seems to be a mindset among parents that defenders don't need to work on their technique as much as mids or forwards. BS! A great first touch especially is as important for a defender as it is for midfielders and forwards.

Besides, the best teams generally have defenders that contribute heavily to the attack. Outside backs that overlap and make dangerous runs. Centerbacks that can bring the ball out of defense and initiate buildup play.

All that said, the best defenders at the highest levels were converted center mids and strikers.

Well said…

Good offense puts people in the stands… Good defense wins games…

vman
vman
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 10/31/2011, 9:44 am

If you are with an academy coach that does not move players around to different positions then leave. They should be concentraing on skills and learning the game not making sure they win by keeping the studs up front scoring. To limit a player and label them as a one position player so young is wrong, wrong ,wrong. The players have so much growing , learning and maturing to do there is no way to know what level or position they may be playing at by the time they are 15, 16 years old. To not teach them at least two positions at a time is about winning not developing.
As they get older the center back is The Man because offense wins games, defense wins championships.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 10/31/2011, 11:16 am

Great point.

If a kid actually enjoys playing defender, my suggestion is to study the Italians and the Germans. leagues and their national teams.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by True10 10/31/2011, 11:45 am

Laimport wrote:Develop defenders? Have you seen our naonal team play lately? That's the most glaring problem with us soccer in general. You can't win without a strong backline!

As a dad of a defender I could not agree more. If the defender can develop skills of a midfielder and also have a great first touch and vision what more could a coach want. Some coaches have the mindset to put the big fast kid in the back and have him kick the ball out or up the field as much as possible, my advice is to run away as fast as possible. Defenders need to develop skills to play every position on the field becuase at some point they will make decisions everywhere on the field. Defenders need to be able to dribble out of trouble and know when to release the ball. They need to make decisions about where to pass the ball. All the decisions are amplified because they are closer to the goal.
True10
True10
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by hatrick 10/31/2011, 12:18 pm

All good points. Even for your studs up front, when they get to the next age groups they are going to need some defensive skills to get on the field. Also at this age, there are no GKs. No kid should just get stuck in the goal and forgotten about. As a coach, you're just happy that you have a kid that wants to play keeper but if you do not let him develop the other skills necessary you are doing a major disservice.
hatrick
hatrick
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nteagles87 11/10/2011, 1:56 pm

I have two BB's a 94' and a 00' and both are defenders. First thing is a defender has to have a defender mentality and realize or be taught the importance of defense. Also, they must be thick skinned because in a 1-0 game the defense gets blamed for giving up the goal not the offense for missing 15 shots or not creating opportunities. Like Vman said, "offense puts people in the stands, but defense win Championships." This needs to be learned by the entire team, everyone on the team must play defense and everyone must be part of the offense. Is it worth it to a player to score a goal over gaining victory for the entire team. What is remembered 10 years from now the one goal or the championship medal? This is hard to teach especially with societies "me first" attitude.

As for my two BB's, my 94' got a late start and when he began playing club soccer he was able to shut someone down defensively, but was weak on the counter attack and lacked confidence making runs down the side. As for my 00' boy he is developing an all around game. He is developing a good 1st touch, control and looks to initiate a counter attack or run down the side not just kick the ball down the field. He also understands his first job is to maintain his position and keep the other team from scoring.

Just a few rambling comments.

nteagles87
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down