Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

May 31st coming up fast Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

May 31st coming up fast

+8
omega striker
go99
Majortom
soccer2k2
Laimport
getafe01
krowdkontrol
scrdad
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

May 31st coming up fast Empty May 31st coming up fast

Post by Guest 4/24/2012, 12:30 pm

I would imagine that come may 31 several 01 players the coach has penciled in will be skeedaddling This is the time that coaches dread. Having to actually court parents and players rather than be the all knowing sensei they pretend to be . Those that have kept communication open will be a big step up over those who feel parents are the enemy. Time will tell

Back to top Go down

May 31st coming up fast Empty Re: May 31st coming up fast

Post by scrdad 4/24/2012, 5:57 pm

And some parents are waiting to see what coaches may be "skeedaddling"!

scrdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/10/2012, 10:24 am

Just a few weeks away. The winds of change starting to blow. The chickens coming home to roost for coaches. Players seeing light at the end of tunnel, for some a breath of fresh air for others a train rolling over them. Now that I am out of clichés , I think there wiill be considerable movement especially for 01's... tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by krowdkontrol 5/10/2012, 10:40 am

soccerisgood123 wrote:Just a few weeks away. The winds of change starting to blow. The chickens coming home to roost for coaches. Players seeing light at the end of tunnel, for some a breath of fresh air for others a train rolling over them. Now that I am out of clichés , I think there wiill be considerable movement especially for 01's... tongue

I am sure the top 5 teams are going to get stronger by adding some of the other top teams players to their roster.
krowdkontrol
krowdkontrol
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/10/2012, 10:44 am

krowdkontrol wrote:
soccerisgood123 wrote:Just a few weeks away. The winds of change starting to blow. The chickens coming home to roost for coaches. Players seeing light at the end of tunnel, for some a breath of fresh air for others a train rolling over them. Now that I am out of clichés , I think there wiill be considerable movement especially for 01's... tongue

I am sure the top 5 teams are going to get stronger by adding some of the other top teams players to their roster.

You would think that the smart coaches are talking to their key players and locking them up. But given the coaching mentality I bet hey are clueless to the happiness of their players.

Back to top Go down

Post by krowdkontrol 5/10/2012, 11:13 am

soccerisgood123 wrote:
krowdkontrol wrote:

You would think that the smart coaches are talking to their key players and locking them up. But given the coaching mentality I bet hey are clueless to the happiness of their players.

Yes that is so true. When a new player comes to a top 5 team from another top 5 team. It definately makes for good competition in practice for the BB's involved. Do you think a coach needs to be loyal to his longtime key players, when they have new players coming to the team that happen to be better?
krowdkontrol
krowdkontrol
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/10/2012, 11:19 am

krowdkontrol wrote:
soccerisgood123 wrote:
krowdkontrol wrote:

Yes that is so true. When a new player comes to a top 5 team from another top 5 team. It definately makes for good competition in practice for the BB's involved. Do you think a coach needs to be loyal to his longtime key players, when they have new players coming to the team that happen to be better?

I would say yes, as a parent. As a coach, unfortunately no. That is the downside to competitive sports. Now saying that you would hope that the player being replaced would stay and the bottom players would be bumped.

Back to top Go down

Post by getafe01 5/10/2012, 11:24 am

krowdkontrol wrote:
soccerisgood123 wrote:
krowdkontrol wrote:

I think it should vary depending on the situation. Unfortunately, coaches, and parents, do not always think through things and they assume the grass is always greener. If one had a prospective player that was head and shoulders above many on the team, it may become a no brainer. If, however, the prospective player is equal or only minimally stronger, one may need to really compare and assess the intangibles about the player/family that he/she will replace. Loyalty and the known vs the unknown can go a long way. Loyalty may also be good business sense. But, I am not sure that all coaches or parents consider such. I am also not sure that coaches spend as much time perseverating about this stuff as parents do.
getafe01
getafe01
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/10/2012, 11:36 am

getafe01 wrote:
krowdkontrol wrote:
soccerisgood123 wrote:
krowdkontrol wrote:

I think it should vary depending on the situation. Unfortunately, coaches, and parents, do not always think through things and they assume the grass is always greener. If one had a prospective player that was head and shoulders above many on the team, it may become a no brainer. If, however, the prospective player is equal or only minimally stronger, one may need to really compare and assess the intangibles about the player/family that he/she will replace. Loyalty and the known vs the unknown can go a long way. Loyalty may also be good business sense. But, I am not sure that all coaches or parents consider such. I am also not sure that coaches spend as much time perseverating about this stuff as parents do.

I would agree with that. Dropping people should not be done lightly, it should be an obvious upgrade. Otherwise parents migh stampede fo th exits...

Back to top Go down

Post by krowdkontrol 5/10/2012, 11:56 am

getafe01 wrote:
krowdkontrol wrote:
soccerisgood123 wrote:
krowdkontrol wrote:

I agree with what you said completely. When my boy came to the team he is currently on now. It raised the level of play from all the boys. They started to compete with each other and it made it fun to watch practices. I would think the thought of practices and scrimmages would kill the notion between known and unknown when it comes to who to play in a tight situation. Isnt that what development is all about. This is NTX though and they want to win the game so they would go with the known player instead of the unknown player. How would the unknown player get a chance to prove he is worthy of the coaches trust in a tight game situation if it not all about winning?
krowdkontrol
krowdkontrol
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 5/10/2012, 12:04 pm

Coaches generally don't recruit 'for the bench'.

Since so many parents buy into the "team is everything" mentality....you tend to get what you ask for.

Loyalty? Why should the coach be loyal? The parents certainly aren't. Most will take their kid from a 6th place team to a 5th place team. Because they naively think its better for their kid.

Also, most parents have no real clue who 'the best' players are. (Not that it matters much at this age.)

Hell, they can't even be realistic about their own kid.

This is why watching and studying high level football is so important. For the kids and their parents.

Maybe instead of helicoptering, parents should encourage personal accountability and a work ethic.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/10/2012, 12:09 pm

Maybe instead of helicoptering, parents should encourage personal accountability and a work ethic.

lol, work hard come off the bench, blah blah and .......BE REPLACED and the end of the season.

Back to top Go down

Post by krowdkontrol 5/10/2012, 12:14 pm

Laimport wrote:Coaches generally don't recruit 'for the bench'.

Since so many parents buy into the "team is everything" mentality....you tend to get what you ask for.

Loyalty? Why should the coach be loyal? The parents certainly aren't. Most will take their kid from a 6th place team to a 5th place team. Because they naively think its better for their kid.

Also, most parents have no real clue who 'the best' players are. (Not that it matters much at this age.)

This is why watching and studying high level football is so important. For the kids and their parents.

I believe in good competition on a everyday practice situation for the development of my son. Hopefully his hard work in practice will result to a positive showing come game time.
krowdkontrol
krowdkontrol
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccer2k2 5/10/2012, 12:38 pm

Laimport wrote:Coaches generally don't recruit 'for the bench'.

Personal accountability...yeah, right! Some parents spend too much time blaming the coach & teammates for their childs performance. Personal accountability would require some parents to take off their blinders and that ain't gonna happen Laughing

soccer2k2
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/10/2012, 12:54 pm

"Loyalty? Why should the coach be loyal? The parents certainly aren't. Most will take their kid from a 6th place team to a 5th place team. Because they naively think its better for their kid."

i would say that it is in their best interests in the long term. coaching is also mentoring. i would disagree that most parents would jump ship easily. friendships, parents on the team, coaches interest in the child are big factors in leaving and staying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 5/10/2012, 1:09 pm

Finally, that makes sense. "Coaching".

What they learn is more important than anything else. Up to and including the great trophy hunt.

However, a coach 'liking' your kid shouldn't be the primary consideration.

Nothing turns a parent off more than lil johnny rocketlegs getting moved from striker to outside back.

Or not being the starting striker.

With marginal or players on the bubble, this causes major headaches.

Very few, if any, coaches are going to not play a truly exceptional player.

The lesson to be learned is, if your kid is without question, a superstar, then these issues don't come up.

And a consequence of being that good, is that you can generally pick and choose where you want to play.

Not very PC, but that's the reality folks!

A coach can't "develop" 16-18 players. Only 2 or 3 at on the team at best.

Course, they don't put that in the brochure...sorry, the website "mission statement"!

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/10/2012, 1:16 pm

However, a coach 'liking' your kid shouldn't be the primary consideration.

you have misinterpreted my sentence. taking an interest in your kid. not liking him. I view that as helping your kid get better, believing in him, bolstering his confidence, treating him w respect and fostering a love for the game. that's what i meant. NOT getting playing time because the coach likes him . that is completely different.

Back to top Go down

Post by Majortom 5/10/2012, 2:38 pm

getafe01 wrote:
krowdkontrol wrote:
soccerisgood123 wrote:
krowdkontrol wrote:

This past weekend I witnessed an aspect of that. Immediately following the conclusion of the bb's matches, a couple of families of some of the losing team(s) in the '01 group approached families/coaches of the winning team(s) inquiring about open practices and general team information in what appeared to me "clear pursuit of the infamous greener pastures".

IMHO, these inquiries seemed to be heat-of-the-moment/results driven that could have otherwise been avoided (or at the very least just stalled) if little Johnny had received more playing time or if x-team had won.

Perhaps wrong and these were all planned out and said families were just waiting for the end of the season.

Majortom
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 5/10/2012, 3:09 pm

'soccerisgood' I actually wasn't disagrreing with you on those points.

I'm just saying that parents' perceptions of a coach, by and large are fueled by those factors.

Obviously, the ideal coach treats all his players with respect. And a certain level of dignity. Regardless of their place on the depth chart.

All I'm saying is that this results oriented attitude is what causes a lot of the unnecessary groveling.

Parents pay significant money (and the time) for their kids to play. Therefore, they measure success based on game results. There are (rightfully so) expectations with that type of time and financial investment.

However, that line of thinking forces coaches to build the strongest teams possible.

The metroplex is a huge market. So a competitive market allows for greater choice.

Too many choices in my opinion.

That to me is why it seems (given the soccer population) that North Texas underachieves with producing great players. It seems to be trending that way with the national team pools anyway.

Where I live, it's pretty much a 1 club town. You get what you get. And you don't throw a fit.

The only other option is to go play for an out of town club/team.

That's when the time and $$$ become an even BIGGER factor.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 5/10/2012, 3:16 pm

My son has never been on an elite team. No state championships. No premier league, etc.

Yet, he has developed into a very good, well rounded player. Not quite national team caliber (yet).

I've spoken to coaches at regional and national events. They told me that being on an elite team is not a prerequisite to becoming an elite player. In fact, they said it doesn't really matter.

For an 11 or 12 yr old, the most important thing is that they enjoy themselves and are constantly striving to improve. In that order.

A coach with his head on right can certainly make a difference.

But there ain't no magic bullet....

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 5/10/2012, 3:19 pm

Being on a top team means your kid is a great player and by extension you are a great parent. Even better if it is with a top team
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 5/10/2012, 3:50 pm

baaaahaaahaaa!!!!

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 5/10/2012, 4:14 pm

go99 wrote:Being on a top team means your kid is a great player and by extension you are a great parent. Even better if it is with a top team
lol!
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/10/2012, 4:32 pm

go99 wrote:Being on a top team means your kid is a great player and by extension you are a great parent. Even better if it is with a top team

i thought that was written into the contract..... cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/21/2012, 8:04 am

The horses are getting into their starting gates. 10 days to go..... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next