Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Primetime cheaping out on officials Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Primetime cheaping out on officials

+5
my2cents
#27mom
tib73
allen04
ShastaTx
9 posters

Go down

Primetime cheaping out on officials Empty Primetime cheaping out on officials

Post by Guest 11/20/2012, 12:28 am

For those with more experience with local tournaments, was the quality of officiating in the 06 division typical for these types of tournaments?

You'd like to think PT could at least find some experienced rec officials to cover these games. But we had center ref's that had to have been less than 12 and openly admitted to zero experience (i.e., "I can't help it, this is my fourth game ever"). They were either terrified to the point that they didn't make a single call all game (including players 10 yards offside), or so whistle happy that they called fouls and offsides at random and inexplicable times (e.g., offsides when a player dribbled the length of the field and scored). I don't think there was any intent to benefit one team or another; the officials were just truly clueless.

When we asked a linesman how much they were paid, he replied $10 for lines and $16 for CR. I think that probably explains the quality. Perhaps all the tournament fees went to pay the water bill at the Al Rauchaupt (sp) facility. sunny

Despite the officiating (and nine year old U7 champions), the quality of the teams made it an enjoyable weekend. It was just a little eye opening to see how little effort primetime put into the officiating.

Back to top Go down

Primetime cheaping out on officials Empty Re: Primetime cheaping out on officials

Post by ShastaTx 11/20/2012, 1:01 am

I will say, that our officials struggled a bunch as well. Probably the worst we have ever had. They tried, but they were not experienced enough for U-9 soccer, and I am sure that U-8 and U-7 would have been difficult for them too.

ShastaTx
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Primetime cheaping out on officials Empty Re: Primetime cheaping out on officials

Post by allen04 11/20/2012, 8:33 am

Funny. I was irritated with the crews we had at the U90 tournament for the U9 games. I thought that Primetime must have pulled in the better officials. I guess not.
allen04
allen04
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by tib73 11/20/2012, 10:37 am

Looks like Primetime is starting to cut some corners time are hard i guess!!

tib73
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by #27mom 11/20/2012, 1:04 pm

The officiating was kinda ridiculous. During one of our games, one of our defenders got clipped and the CR had the whistle in his mouth and never blew it. He let the ball play while our player was face down on the field.

During the Robbing of the Championship U7 game, the CR was too busy tying one of the players shoes while "THAT" team's 8 coaches looked on. Hey, I guess Guamero did have an U7 player afterall...the only kid that couldn't tie his shoe!!

#27mom
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 11/20/2012, 1:20 pm

This may be a shock to some of you but U7, U8 is where young inexperienced refs get their experience. Unfortunately most of them will quit because of all the helpful critques that I am sure were very loudly offered from the sidelines of these critical tounament games. Thus next year most of them will again be new young inexperiened bright-eyed kids who have been excitedly looking forward to reffing for many years. The best among you will quickly snuff that out, letting them know how critical making all the right calls is. What were you expecting for ARs at a U7 game?
The real refs you were expecting where at the real games at the DT Fall festival and the older rec and competitive games of the Hurst Turkey Shoot averaging $18 to $20+ per game instead of $12.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/20/2012, 1:54 pm

Its understandable to a degree, but this was a big step down in quality from academy league games. And actually a big step down from the quality of rec league officiating.

It would be more acceptable in a free rec tourney. But when you pay tournament fees you'd expect a ref who knows the most basic rules and isn't scared of their own shadow. We had one CR reffing her 4th game, who never made a call. And aother linesman in his first season who made 20 plus calls. And there were no supervisors to be found.

And when the organizers allow a team to field players on a u6 team who are older than the center referee you've got a recipe for injury and upset parents.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/20/2012, 1:58 pm

footbull wrote:Its understandable to a degree, but this was a big step down in quality from academy league games. And actually a big step down from the quality of rec league officiating.

It would be more acceptable in a free rec tourney. But when you pay tournament fees you'd expect a ref who knows the most basic rules and isn't scared of their own shadow. We had one CR reffing her 4th game, who never made a call. And aother linesman in his first season who made 20 plus calls. And there were no supervisors to be found.

And when the organizers allow a team to field players on a u6 team who are older than the center referee you've got a recipe for injury and upset parents.

I agree with your sentiment. Having little kid refs is fine, but it should be at the rec leagues on Saturdays where they get their experience.

Also, as painful as it may be, some of these refs are just not cut out for the job. They are not even passable at it and probably should find another way to make a few bucks. If you are too scared to even call a foul, then you should wait a few years and come back when you get a little more personal confidence.

Back to top Go down

Post by justamomof2 11/20/2012, 2:23 pm

[/quote]
I have to disagree with the younger refs working the U-7 and U-8 games in rec. Actually, I don't agree with any 13 or 14 year old serving as a CR, period. This is age that the kids need to understand the rules and need to be kept safe on the field. These young refs are too scared of adults to blow the whistle. Period. I lost count of the tackles and all-out knock downs from behind this year where the kid playing CR let it go while kids went flying across the field. After 3-4 of these, any caring coach is going to get upset that his kids are getting hurt unnecessarily. And yes, most coaches will say something at this point. Let these youngsters judge lines or assist in the younger divisions, but they they aren't ready for duties in the center. Honestly, if you raised the age to something more appropriate, the young refs might be better equipped to handle the pressure and may stay around longer.

justamomof2
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/20/2012, 2:53 pm

I agree with you both. You are actually doing these young refs a disservice by putting them in the center. Let them run lines in rec and over rule them when they completely blow a call. Then they may have a chance to grow.

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 11/20/2012, 5:38 pm

The ages referenced in this are U6,7 and 8. A referee that has gotten good enough to do older age rec centers or true competitive (U11 and up)has no interest of going back down to "center" 5,6 and 7 year old tournament games. I know some that have done the academy leagues. They generally do it because it is convenient to them and more consistent for Sunday games then older leagues whose main day is Saturday. They feel is not much different than doing the better rec teams except that the parents can be much worse.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/20/2012, 6:05 pm

No one is expecting senior refs; we just hoped for something better than 12 year olds in their first game as an official.

And apparently the adults and older teens were willing to show up, as we had adults and hs kids running lines for 10 bucks an hour while the 12 year olds had the CR position.

Back to top Go down

Post by yellowboots 11/20/2012, 6:24 pm

Look at the amount of tournaments that were going on everyone. Do you really think there are enough refs to do a quality u6-u7 game. Come on!! There was probably not enough refs for the fall festival. Have you seen how many teams were in that tourney. Then add primetime, hurst, etc. Those that are upset now, just wait. At least these young refs have an excuse. Be happy there were refs so you could participate in a tourney. Most don't even start at that age.

yellowboots
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by yessir 11/20/2012, 6:33 pm

There are plenty of decent refs around, shortage of refs is not the problem. Everyone is just suggesting that if refs are placed for a tourney then they should at least know the rules. Coaches, parents pay extra money and kids train really hard for these outings. They deserve a Fair Game.

yessir
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by yellowboots 11/20/2012, 6:54 pm

yessir wrote:There are plenty of decent refs around, shortage of refs is not the problem. Everyone is just suggesting that if refs are placed for a tourney then they should at least know the rules. Coaches, parents pay extra money and kids train really hard for these outings. They deserve a Fair Game.

Go look at the amount of games this last weekend!!!! There were no decent refs(as you refer to) for your age group, or they would have been there. No one was sitting in a hideout planning to give you inexperienced refs. That was the problem, not enough quality to go around!!

yellowboots
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/20/2012, 7:27 pm

Ultimately, managers and parents will vote with their pocketbooks. If they have a bad experience -- whether it's bad officiating or playing against giant (ahem) seven year olds -- they'll look elsewhere the next year. Capitalism.

Back to top Go down

Post by yellowboots 11/20/2012, 7:34 pm

footbull wrote:Ultimately, managers and parents will vote with their pocketbooks. If they have a bad experience -- whether it's bad officiating or playing against giant (ahem) seven year olds -- they'll look elsewhere the next year. Capitalism.

I wish that were true but where will you go? They are the only tourney that plays age groups that low unless you play rec. It is what it is. Just enjoy watching the little ones play.

yellowboots
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by nearpost95 11/20/2012, 8:50 pm

yellowboots wrote:
yessir wrote:There are plenty of decent refs around, shortage of refs is not the problem. Everyone is just suggesting that if refs are placed for a tourney then they should at least know the rules. Coaches, parents pay extra money and kids train really hard for these outings. They deserve a Fair Game.

Go look at the amount of games this last weekend!!!! There were no decent refs(as you refer to) for your age group, or they would have been there. No one was sitting in a hideout planning to give you inexperienced refs. That was the problem, not enough quality to go around!!

You are dead on - the Texans Fall Festival, the HUGE tournament last weekend, even experienced referee shortages. Thanksgiving week is bracketed by a couple of big tournament weekends.

nearpost95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 11/21/2012, 7:44 am

nearpost95 wrote:
yellowboots wrote:

You are dead on - the Texans Fall Festival, the HUGE tournament last weekend, even experienced referee shortages. Thanksgiving week is bracketed by a couple of big tournament weekends.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 11/21/2012, 7:49 am

my2cents wrote:
nearpost95 wrote:
yellowboots wrote:

Over at Hurst my 22 year old son did 7 U12 and older games Saturday and I think almost as many on Sunday. They never assign that many games unless it is absolutely necessary. On these weekends there are shortages.

In the DFW area get used to the reffing you had this weekend. There are sometimes thousands of games being played , at Labor Day, Memorial Day and around Thanksgiving. It is absolutely impossible for the assignors to know the quality of every official. They are using every one they can get.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down