Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Plano Sports Authority Texas Thunder Academy Teams - Info?  Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Plano Sports Authority Texas Thunder Academy Teams - Info?

2 posters

Go down

Plano Sports Authority Texas Thunder Academy Teams - Info?  Empty Plano Sports Authority Texas Thunder Academy Teams - Info?

Post by thetruthhurts 8/9/2013, 1:38 am

Anyone know anything about the Plano Sports Authority Texas Thunder Academy Boy's Teams or Program? Seriously consider or not?
thetruthhurts
thetruthhurts
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Plano Sports Authority Texas Thunder Academy Teams - Info?  Empty Re: Plano Sports Authority Texas Thunder Academy Teams - Info?

Post by Guest 8/9/2013, 7:26 am

We played there a few seasons back, competition is average to good. They're not sanctioned by US Youth Soccer and they dont play by age group, they group on grade. You can have 15 year old 5th graders.

Back to top Go down

Plano Sports Authority Texas Thunder Academy Teams - Info?  Empty Re: Plano Sports Authority Texas Thunder Academy Teams - Info?

Post by R1 8/9/2013, 8:16 am

rdeal486 wrote:We played there a few seasons back, competition is average to good.  They're not sanctioned by US Youth Soccer and they dont play by age group, they group on grade.  You can have 15 year old 5th graders.
You are mixing up the PSA with the Thunder soccer club.

The Thunder is actually a club with teams organized by Mike Kramer at PSA. The club teams play in the Plano Premier League (competitive) - which is US Soccer/NTSSA recognized. I believe they have several teams, several age groups, and several coaches.

At a young age, (prior to U11), the Thunder teams may play in any of the local leagues - iincluding the PSA leagues - which are grade based. Or they may play in any of the other multitude of local leagues, depending on the competitiveness of the team. (The PSA leagues are grade based (not age), but there is an actual age cutoff - so no 15 year olds could play on a 5th grade team. But you could see someone a year older, who was held back a grade). I've seen plenty of this in basketball there - so even though you are right, it is grade based, you exaggerate the age they could be - there is a cutoff.

The Thunder Club is an interesting idea. At young ages (U6 - U10) - you can find really good players at the PSA - and theoretically, if you were able to cherry pick those players, you could create some formidable teams. Not sure it will ever actually work that way or not, but it is possible. I remember several 00 teams that formed through the PSA - that went on to be top end teams in the competitive leagues. But this was all pre-Thunder.

As far as whether you should seriously consider it, its like any other team for your child - if you find a good coach, with players your child gets along with, and your child wants to keep playing and is advancing - then yea, you should seriously consider it. If you try out with a coach there who makes your child not want to play - run away quickly - regardless of the club.

R1
R1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by thetruthhurts 8/11/2013, 1:44 am

Like you said R1, I agree, the PSA Thunder Academy teams are an interesting idea. They have a huge pool of Rec teams that play at the PSA to try and recruit players from, and the local Plano area desperately needs an Academy type organization.  Just to clarify, the Texas Thunder do go by the US Soccer birth date requirements (Aug 1 to Jul 31, etc.) of players rather than the PSA Rec team's requirement of school grade only. I think only time will tell if the PSA Thunder organization is successful, but for now, from what I have seen, the basics just aren't there yet even though they do have a few really outstanding players. Then again, I don't have much to compare the Thunder with so far. Maybe someone out there has more insight into the program.
thetruthhurts
thetruthhurts
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/11/2013, 11:50 am

I overlooked the Thunder Academy and yes, they do follow a true birth year grouping. My concern is the limited amount of teams and exposure coming from the PSA Thunder. They do have a large pool of rec kids which they should be able to draw from, but, I just don't see that happening right now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down