Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Speed, speed, speed!! - Page 2 Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Speed, speed, speed!!

+13
rantnrave
humble
omega striker
mnimon
go99
R1
AllPaoTeam
Laimport
heyyouguys
Seinfeld4
soccerdadrandy
bigtex75081
dboycfo
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Speed, speed, speed!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Speed, speed, speed!!

Post by Real Barcelona 10/24/2013, 11:58 am

I have seen this happen to my BBs and have seen it in others over the years. Not fast at the start of teenage years but getting progressively faster to the point were either one of the fastest on the team or middle of the pack. BUT quickness (different than raw speed) and mental accuity (soccer IQ) is what you really need to succeed.

Real Barcelona
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonStryker 10/24/2013, 12:06 pm

go99 wrote:Johan Cruyff - "All coaches talk too much about running a lot. I say it's not necessary to run so much. Soccer is a game that's played with the brain. You need to be in the right place at the right time, not too early, not too late."

Jose Ramon Alexanco, the director of Barcelona's youth program - "Not until after the players reach age 16 is there fitness training. Before that age we mainly play soccer. Everything is with the ball. We work on skills and some tactics"
I'd agree that "fitness training" for youth under around age 16 makes no sense. That said, learning proper running form isn't a bad thing. And it doesn't go against learning proper technique on the pitch.

So many here seem to think there is this magical trade-off, that if you work hard to improve your speed, you necessarily impair your technical ability on the ball and that's an utterly absurd concept.

One does not impair the other so long as time isn't taken away from one to do the other.

If you were and continue to train/practice/etc with the ball 15 to 20 hours a week (or whatever the amount of time is) and you add in to that another 2 hours of speed training, you will become a better player.

All things equal (equal skill, knowledge, technique, etc) a faster player beats a slower player every single time.

Trading speed for technique, skill, or soccer IQ is, however, a terrible idea, but I don't see anyone here saying that. What I do see is many people assuming that if you are working with an S&C coach, that you are making that trade-off and that just isn't necessarily the case.

Technique and IQ typically win once physical differences in growing boys start to equalize, but where technique and IQ are truly equal between two players, the faster/stronger is going to win out more times than not.
DragonStryker
DragonStryker
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by getafe01 10/24/2013, 12:29 pm

DragonStryker wrote:
go99 wrote:Johan Cruyff - "All coaches talk too much about running a lot. I say it's not necessary to run so much. Soccer is a game that's played with the brain. You need to be in the right place at the right time, not too early, not too late."

Jose Ramon Alexanco, the director of Barcelona's youth program - "Not until after the players reach age 16 is there fitness training. Before that age we mainly play soccer. Everything is with the ball. We work on skills and some tactics"
I'd agree that "fitness training" for youth under around age 16 makes no sense.  That said, learning proper running form isn't a bad thing.  And it doesn't go against learning proper technique on the pitch.

So many here seem to think there is this magical trade-off, that if you work hard to improve your speed, you necessarily impair your technical ability on the ball and that's an utterly absurd concept.

One does not impair the other so long as time isn't taken away from one to do the other.

If you were and continue to train/practice/etc with the ball 15 to 20 hours a week (or whatever the amount of time is) and you add in to that another 2 hours of speed training, you will become a better player.

All things equal (equal skill, knowledge, technique, etc) a faster player beats a slower player every single time.

Trading speed for technique, skill, or soccer IQ is, however, a terrible idea, but I don't see anyone here saying that.  What I do see is many people assuming that if you are working with an S&C coach, that you are making that trade-off and that just isn't necessarily the case.

Technique and IQ typically win once physical differences in growing boys start to equalize, but where technique and IQ are truly equal between two players, the faster/stronger is going to win out more times than not.

Proper form and technique etc are all meaningless without core strength, which come and develop with age and conditioning. Be careful of coaching and books as noted above unless the respective source has a true understanding of childhood/adolescent mechanics which are and can be very different than the young adult. There are so many variables to "speed" on the pitch: quickness, response time, stride turnover, endurance and on and on. At the pre-pubescent and during puberty, the keys to focus on are soccer technique (gotta learn that first as mentioned by a few above), endurance and conditioning, DIET, and flexibility (stretching and developing good muscle memory now helps alleviate issues with hamstring, groin and quad pulls in the future). At the 01 age level and above, most schools offer X-country and track. I would utilize those to supplement the soccer.
getafe01
getafe01
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 10/24/2013, 1:39 pm

go99 wrote:Now I do like the injury prevention and it's nice if he can be soccer specific.  Just had the unfortunate experience of having a S&C  coach at my DD's team.  Much of what he was suggesting was in direct contrast to what is needed for soccer (great for track though).  But then I guess it is too much to ask for coaches in NTX to teach kids how to actually play rather than just wanting them to run faster and kick harder.  

Johan Cruyff - "All coaches talk too much about running a lot. I say it's not necessary to run so much. Soccer is a game that's played with the brain. You need to be in the right place at the right time, not too early, not too late."

BAM!!! Nailed it!

To me, there's no real point in doing a lot of strength, speed and agility work before at least 15.

I have read profiles on Euro academies and the vast majority don't even begin any S@C stuff until 15 or 16.

Before then, it's all about the ball and the brain.

Now if a kid really WANTS to do all that other stuff, probably won't hurt him. But remember, that's time that could be spent on technical or tactical work.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 10/24/2013, 1:48 pm

DragonStryker wrote:

I'd agree that "fitness training" for youth under around age 16 makes no sense.  That said, learning proper running form isn't a bad thing.  And it doesn't go against learning proper technique on the pitch.

Trading speed for technique, skill, or soccer IQ is, however, a terrible idea, but I don't see anyone here saying that.  What I do see is many people assuming that if you are working with an S&C coach, that you are making that trade-off and that just isn't necessarily the case.

stryker, I agree with what you are saying.

I think (and strictly my opinion) the points being made were that perhaps too much emphasis on athletic training at too young an age.

We all know that kids don't develop physically at the same rates, so not being the fastest kid at u11/12 doesn't mean you won't or can't become exceptionally quick and fast later on.

But I think that too many parents are investing in all of this 'extra' stuff when it really isn't necessary.

First and foremost, a kid has to be focused on being the best player he can be.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 10/24/2013, 3:02 pm

I am basically under the assumption that time is not unlimited. That yes time is S&C is time away from the ball. But then again seems like many think their time in practice and they are done with the ball. With school, xbox, practice, and games not sure where you find the time. Oh and yes I loved bill bates and perfect example. He got faster on his times but Bill Bates was known to be slow. So end the end it did not turn him into a fast player. Bill Bates learned to play the game as he was and without blazing speed.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2