Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

How does your coach sub? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

How does your coach sub?

+19
Marvelousmar
KarateChop
go99
bigtex75081
Unitedrule123
Bboys
soccerdadrandy
copa44
03lovingsoccer
earbucket
striker6
soccermom97b
Number13
sukiakiman
heyyouguys
cowpukesfan
Soccerinsanity
34blast
SilvaTheGreat
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How does your coach sub? Empty How does your coach sub?

Post by SilvaTheGreat 2/18/2014, 11:00 pm

Hi,

I was curious how your coach subs. My older sons team had about 18 players. The center defenders played the whole game and the keeper. Everyone else subbed out. So there were roughly 8 spots for subs. As I watched the D1 and D2 teams, it seems in D2 substitutions were mostly equal. D1 not as much, but still a lot of substitutions. Most players on the older sons team played 40% for weaker players the rest played a little more than 50% always.

The younger sons team. They had 16 players. 1 player only played 5 minutes a game. 3 players played about 10 minutes a game. The coach never ever subbed 4 defenders, 2 center mids, and keeper. So basically that left 4 spots divided among the 9 remaining players. 2 of the starters play about 75%. This is every game including tournaments. What I see is the team gets weaker and weaker especially in tournaments as the game goes on. Truthfully, too many are exhausted. Oh yeah, everyone shows up for every practices as well. 3 of the lower players asked for a release early on, but nada.

So do you find this odd or normal?
How do you see your coaches subbing? I realize this is not rec and there is no equal playing time, but mostly curious.

SilvaTheGreat
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

How does your coach sub? Empty Re: How does your coach sub?

Post by 34blast 2/18/2014, 11:13 pm

Humm, many here won't want to say. People are too worried about getting found out. This is important information to figure out before joining a team by watching the teams the previous years or talking to the coach about it.

I don't know if there is a pattern. I think each coach is different. I have seen different approaches in tournaments versus classic play. If it is state cup or a tournament championship, usually the best players play more. In my experience in normal league games, most people play unless they are worried about relegation.

34blast
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 2/19/2014, 4:14 am

It all depends on who the coach made a deal with!
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/19/2014, 9:05 am

yea our coach has to play some players more then he should just keep the parents happy so they will stay  Rolling Eyes  somebody has to pay the bills i guess  

Back to top Go down

Post by cowpukesfan 2/19/2014, 9:07 am

Twisted Evil

cowpukesfan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/19/2014, 9:08 am

Concerning defenders not surprised, defenders are hard to come by, good defenders are even more precious. Everyone wants to be a midfielder or forward. If you want lots of playing time become a defender....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/19/2014, 9:09 am

soccerisgood123 wrote:Concerning defenders not surprised, defenders are hard to come by, good defenders are even more precious. Everyone wants to be a midfielder or forward. If you want lots of playing time become a defender....
or a keeper  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/19/2014, 9:19 am

The Boss wrote:
soccerisgood123 wrote:Concerning defenders not surprised, defenders are hard to come by, good defenders are even more precious. Everyone wants to be a midfielder or forward. If you want lots of playing time become a defender....
or a keeper  Wink 

Yep absolutely...

Back to top Go down

Post by heyyouguys 2/19/2014, 9:44 am

I've noticed if a team is winning and everyone is happy, playing time is much more equal, all things considered, in every level. If a team is struggling, starters play much, much more. If a coach has an above par player on a bad team, they will play them pretty much the whole game... every game... so that when open practices occur, they are more likely to keep the player.

heyyouguys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/19/2014, 9:49 am

heyyouguys wrote:I've noticed if a team is winning and everyone is happy, playing time is much more equal, all things considered, in every level. If a team is struggling, starters play much, much more. If a coach has an above par player on a bad team, they will play them pretty much the whole game... every game... so that when open practices occur, they are more likely to keep the player.

Frankly I think the best 11 should play 75 percent of the game, this is competitive soccer....

Back to top Go down

Post by heyyouguys 2/19/2014, 9:55 am

soccerisgood123 wrote:
heyyouguys wrote:I've noticed if a team is winning and everyone is happy, playing time is much more equal, all things considered, in every level. If a team is struggling, starters play much, much more. If a coach has an above par player on a bad team, they will play them pretty much the whole game... every game... so that when open practices occur, they are more likely to keep the player.

Frankly I think the best 11 should play 75 percent of the game, this is competitive soccer....

Sure, that sounds fine... in a 60 minute game, if all the starters get 45 minutes on average, the 5 subs still have 150 minutes to split up between them, so they all play roughly half the game. That sounds pretty doable. I'm okay with a less when the games are close, the lower threshold being 15-20 minutes in an important game (starters playing ~50 minutes). I think what the original guy was asking was subs who literally play 5 - 10 minutes a game. I do have a problem with that... especially at young ages. If you don't think a kid is good enough for your team, don't sign him. simple as that. You have no chance of catching up to the starters playing 5 minutes a game... if a coach sits a player every single game, they shouldn't sign him at all, because that kid is not going to develop. A kid cannot grow as a soccer player only practicing, they need time to apply what they are learning. This whole topic is controversial... everyone has their own viewpoint. Pick the team that suits your viewpoint.

heyyouguys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/19/2014, 10:03 am

heyyouguys wrote:
soccerisgood123 wrote:

Sure, that sounds fine... in a 60 minute game, if all the starters get 45 minutes on average, the 5 subs still have 150 minutes to split up between them, so they all play roughly half the game. That sounds pretty doable. I'm okay with a less when the games are close, the lower threshold being 15-20 minutes in an important game (starters playing ~50 minutes). I think what the original guy was asking was subs who literally play 5 - 10 minutes a game. I do have a problem with that... especially at young ages. If you don't think a kid is good enough for your team, don't sign him. simple as that. You have no chance of catching up to the starters playing 5 minutes a game... if a coach sits a player every single game, they shouldn't sign him at all, because that kid is not going to develop. A kid cannot grow as a soccer player only practicing, they need time to apply what they are learning. This whole topic is controversial... everyone has their own viewpoint. Pick the team that suits your viewpoint.

Now I totally agree with that if they aren't good enough you should not sign them, it's just a money grab and unfair.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/19/2014, 10:05 am

Plus 5-10 min of garbage time is not playing, it's just placating IMO ...

Back to top Go down

Post by heyyouguys 2/19/2014, 10:09 am

soccerisgood123 wrote:Plus 5-10 min of garbage time is not playing, it's just placating IMO ...

Honestly, I'd rather the coach just tell me, "I'm not playing your son this game, just don't come", than to play my kid 5 minutes and waste our time.

heyyouguys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/19/2014, 10:11 am

heyyouguys wrote:
soccerisgood123 wrote:Plus 5-10 min of garbage time is not playing, it's just placating IMO ...

Honestly, I'd rather the coach just tell me, "I'm not playing your son this game, just don't come", than to play a kid 5 minutes and waste their time.

Yep and then ask for a release....

Back to top Go down

Post by sukiakiman 2/19/2014, 10:23 am

Depends on the coach but from I have seen most coaches ride their top horses all game long. Had only one coach that rotated equally. Coaches have reputations to uphold that is why you see this. They want to win. Have to prove yourself in practice for playing time otherwise they won't risk playing some kids. Not saying I agree with this but it is the reality.

sukiakiman
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/19/2014, 10:26 am

sukiakiman wrote:Depends on the coach but from I have seen most coaches ride their top horses all game long. Had only one coach that rotated equally. Coaches have reputations to uphold that is why you see this. They want to win. Have to prove yourself in practice for playing time otherwise they won't risk playing some kids.  Not saying I agree with this but it is the reality.

Ok, but if a kid can only play 5 mins is he really on the right team? Just a money grab often a 17 and 18 spots...

Back to top Go down

Post by sukiakiman 2/19/2014, 10:31 am

soccerisgood123 wrote:
sukiakiman wrote:Depends on the coach but from I have seen most coaches ride their top horses all game long. Had only one coach that rotated equally. Coaches have reputations to uphold that is why you see this. They want to win. Have to prove yourself in practice for playing time otherwise they won't risk playing some kids.  Not saying I agree with this but it is the reality.

Ok, but if a kid can only play 5 mins is he really on the right team? Just a money grab often a 17 and 18 spots...

I would leave and find a team I could be one of the horses, paying all that money to sit is tough financially and tough on the kid.

sukiakiman
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/19/2014, 10:33 am

sukiakiman wrote:
soccerisgood123 wrote:

I would leave and find a team I could be one of the horses, paying all that money to sit is tough financially and tough on the kid.

Yep that will kill your sons passion and confidence..

Back to top Go down

Post by cowpukesfan 2/19/2014, 10:37 am

IMO, if your BB's not getting enough playing time, then he may have better players playing the same position ahead of him.
If you think he's talented enough to start on ANOTHER team, then look around in June.
Maybe the team that he's on is just full of talent.
If the coach promised you that your BB will get a lot of playing time, but didn't keep that promise, then the parent is a fool to re-sign with that team this July.
Leave for your kid, don't stay because you're friends with the other parents on the team or because the team's in the Top 5.
This is just my opinion.

cowpukesfan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/19/2014, 10:42 am

To play devils advocate, some kids deserve little playing time, they are lazy, don't practice hard, don't run hard, don't show up to practice etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowpukesfan 2/19/2014, 10:44 am

Could be that also. pig

cowpukesfan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 2/19/2014, 10:59 am

The "older" team in the OPs post seems atypical, the "younger" team more typical.  On most teams it seems that half the kids play all the time and the rest of the kids chop up the remaining minutes.  That may mean the 16th kid is getting 10 minutes, may mean he is getting 20 minutes.  

I seriously doubt that playing time directly affects your development.  BB's U11 team attempts like 125-150 passes per game...total.  Tries to beat kid on dribble maybe 20 times.  In 60 minutes.  You get maybe 20 touches a game if you are lucky.  You are getting WAY more touches under pressure than that at practice.  And you should be touching the ball infinitely more than that at home.   But I got to think for most kids PT directly affects how much fun you are having, which affects how much you give a crap about the stuff that will actually help your development.   I'm sure there is the rare 10 yr old who is motivated by lack of PT to work harder.

It seems very very hard to make the PT puzzle work for everyone.  I'm pretty philosophical about it all, I only get irate if my son plays less than 100% of the time.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/19/2014, 11:01 am

Number13 wrote:The "older" team in the OPs post seems atypical, the "younger" team more typical.  On most teams it seems that half the kids play all the time and the rest of the kids chop up the remaining minutes.  That may mean the 16th kid is getting 10 minutes, may mean he is getting 20 minutes.  

I seriously doubt that playing time directly affects your development.  BB's U11 team attempts like 125-150 passes per game...total.  Tries to beat kid on dribble maybe 20 times.  In 60 minutes.  You get maybe 20 touches a game if you are lucky.  You are getting WAY more touches under pressure than that at practice.  And you should be touching the ball infinitely more than that at home.   But I got to think for most kids PT directly affects how much fun you are having, which affects how much you give a crap about the stuff that will actually help your development.   I'm sure there is the rare 10 yr old who is motivated by lack of PT to work harder.

It seems very very hard to make the PT puzzle work for everyone.  I'm pretty philosophical about it all, I only get irate if my son plays less than 100% of the time.

The puzzle is much easier when you don't money grab 18 players a u11..think if you carried 15-16how much easier the puzzle is...

Back to top Go down

Post by soccermom97b 2/19/2014, 11:14 am

soccerisgood123 wrote:
Number13 wrote:The "older" team in the OPs post seems atypical, the "younger" team more typical.  On most teams it seems that half the kids play all the time and the rest of the kids chop up the remaining minutes.  That may mean the 16th kid is getting 10 minutes, may mean he is getting 20 minutes.  

The puzzle is much easier when you don't money grab 18 players a u11..think if you carried 15-16how much easier the puzzle is...

If you think 18 is ugly and hard to manage - wait until the roster limit changes to 22 and then maybe the club says "well to get 1 scholarship you need 18 players. to get 2 you need 20. to get more you need more". it's an ugly never-ending cycle
soccermom97b
soccermom97b
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next