Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Do you teach passing or dribbling first? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Do you teach passing or dribbling first?

+13
passingby
KarateChop
kickback49
toepoker11
cowpukesfan
PitchBound
fcwhatever
NotADRAMAfan
hunden97
CoachPaul
R1
soccerdadrandy
Futbol_Sala
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you teach passing or dribbling first? Empty Do you teach passing or dribbling first?

Post by Futbol_Sala 3/22/2014, 7:06 pm

In the U4 - U9 formative years....Do you first teach passing/ receiving or dribbling?
Personally I emphasize passing /Recieving first and foremost. I don't buy into that 600 touch per game BS IMO.

In fact I have reduced my drills to 20 essential drills for each of the groups (defense, midfield and forwards).

What's your methodology?
Futbol_Sala
Futbol_Sala
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Do you teach passing or dribbling first? Empty Re: Do you teach passing or dribbling first?

Post by soccerdadrandy 3/22/2014, 8:38 pm

Futbol_Sala wrote:In the U4 - U9 formative years....Do you first teach passing/ receiving or dribbling?
Personally I emphasize passing /Recieving first and foremost.  I don't buy into that 600 touch per game BS IMO.  

In fact I have reduced my drills to 20 essential drills for each of the groups (defense, midfield and forwards).

What's your methodology?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJEzLH37Z2c

my bb did a lot of wall ball. that incorporates passing to the wall. receiving from the wall and then dribbling and more touches through self drills. only 600 touch rule i follow is individually. its to late to work on touches in a game. game time is the test to see how well you practiced in a given week.
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Do you teach passing or dribbling first? Empty Re: Do you teach passing or dribbling first?

Post by R1 3/22/2014, 8:55 pm

Futbol_Sala wrote:In the U4 - U9 formative years....Do you first teach passing/ receiving or dribbling?
Personally I emphasize passing /Receiving first and foremost.  I don't buy into that 600 touch per game BS IMO.  

What's your methodology?

Its all about developing touch - get as many touches as you can - if you haven't touched the ball as much as possible, you won't receive the ball very well (it will bounce off your foot too far). You won't be able to give good weight behind your pass (either over-strike it, or under hit it).

All those dribbling moves are needed to compliment the passing/receiving game. Unless the teams you are playing are total crap, you are going to be tightly marked - so when you receive the ball you will need to be able to make a quick move to get your next pass off, or get a shot off.

You have to do both - you can't sacrifice either one. You gotta put in the time on both dribbling and passing/receiving. Its not an either-or thing.
R1
R1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 3/22/2014, 9:05 pm

R1 wrote:
Personally I emphasize passing /Receiving first and foremost.  I don't buy into that 600 touch per game BS IMO.  

What's your methodology?

Its all about developing touch - get as many touches as you can - if you haven't touched the ball as much as possible, you won't receive the ball very well (it will bounce off your foot too far).  You won't be able to give good weight behind your pass (either over-strike it, or under hit it).  

All those dribbling moves are needed to compliment the passing/receiving game.  Unless the teams you are playing are total crap, you are going to be tightly marked - so when you receive the ball you will need to be able to make a quick move to get your next pass off, or get a shot off.  

You have to do both - you can't sacrifice either one.  You gotta put in the time on both dribbling and passing/receiving.  Its not an either-or thing.  

R1.. Thanks for pointing out "first touch". One of the things a bb/parent can't forget is to incorporate a good portion of practice at game speed. With pressure!! You will be marked in a game and if your first touch fails you, the rest is meaningless  bounce bounce 
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by R1 3/23/2014, 8:38 am

One other thing about passing/receiving at age 4-7. Don't spend too much time worrying about the team being able to spread out and pass like older players do at that age.

You want to develop the passing and receiving technique at that age (to get the skill/technique down), but don't expect it will be applied in any games at those ages. Most kids those ages don't understand team concepts yet - most kids literally cannot understand team concepts at all at that age - the human brain at that age hasn't developed to understand it yet. So teach the technique, but don't expect to see a lot of it being applied into games - around age 7 some start to understand it, but even then lots won't.

I'd go by the US Soccer recommendations regarding their passing/receiving training in regards to your expectations of what you will see in games. They say not to work on passing/receiving much before age 9, how I interpret that is that you will not expect to see much spreading out, making space, etc, at that age. You can still train the technique.
R1
R1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Futbol_Sala 3/23/2014, 9:44 am

R1 wrote:One other thing about passing/receiving at age 4-7.  Don't spend too much time worrying about the team being able to spread out and pass like older players do at that age.  

You want to develop the passing and receiving technique at that age (to get the skill/technique down), but don't expect it will be applied in any games at those ages.  Most kids those ages don't understand team concepts yet - most kids literally cannot understand team concepts at all at that age - the human brain at that age hasn't developed to understand it yet.  So teach the technique, but don't expect to see a lot of it being applied into games - around age 7 some start to understand it, but even then lots won't.  

I'd go by the US Soccer recommendations regarding their passing/receiving training in regards to your expectations of what you will see in games.  They say not to work on passing/receiving much before age 9, how I interpret that is that you will not expect to see much spreading out, making space, etc, at that age.  You can still train the technique.

Thank you for that input. Through 20 years of doing this I have refined my drills and have gotten if anything better at communicating to the point that if mastered one can teach passing before dribbling. I truly believe it has taken me this long to achieve this level and is not for most coaches with under 15 years of experience. It is a very difficult skill to master. I would not blame anybody for believing dribbling comes before passing and playing team mates in. My two older kids were my lab rats but one plays PA & the other plays ECNL one plays D2
Futbol_Sala
Futbol_Sala
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CoachPaul 3/24/2014, 8:47 am

Guess I'm the odd one here but I coach a U7 team and have had the same group the past 3.5 years except for one player. At the youngest age (when they just turned 3), I absolutely focused on dribbling first. It was all about being comfortable with the ball and building confidence. Another focus early on was defense/tackling, this can be taught at any age. The #1 focus, however, at the earliest age was fun! I wanted the kids to love physical activity. I would coach my parents to ask the kids one question after every practice and game - did you have fun.

One of the issues with passing at such a young age has to do with physical development - the young ones simply don't have the right muscles to pass with the inside of the foot yet, they are much more laces touch based. By age 5, the muscle development is there to focus more on passing (and receiving with the inside of the foot) from my experience.
CoachPaul
CoachPaul
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hunden97 3/24/2014, 8:57 am

CoachPaul wrote:Guess I'm the odd one here but I coach a U7 team and have had the same group the past 3.5 years except for one player.  At the youngest age (when they just turned 3), I absolutely focused on dribbling first.  It was all about being comfortable with the ball and building confidence.  Another focus early on was defense/tackling, this can be taught at any age.  The #1 focus, however, at the earliest age was fun!  I wanted the kids to love physical activity.  I would coach my parents to ask the kids one question after every practice and game - did you have fun.  

One of the issues with passing at such a young age has to do with physical development - the young ones simply don't have the right muscles to pass with the inside of the foot yet, they are much more laces touch based.  By age 5, the muscle development is there to focus more on passing (and receiving with the inside of the foot) from my experience.

Nope, I'm 100% in agreement with you. Dribbling, tackling/defense, FUN. Passing is something I would let them do on their own. in practice and games. Just show them the correct way to pass (inside foot) correct way to trap (wedge or inside foot) then leave it alone. As they mature physically and mentally passing will come too. Also what the poster mentioned above, first touch, without it go ahead and hang up your boots!
hunden97
hunden97
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NotADRAMAfan 3/24/2014, 9:00 am

hmm...you want a good player ..or a good team.

NotADRAMAfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/24/2014, 9:09 am

I am a fan of good passers with vision vs the little dribbler who loses the ball constantly. The kid who makes error after error passing can kill your team. That being said, you must be a good dribbler to play this game well, and a good passer. But passing is much easier to learn then dribbling...

Back to top Go down

Post by hunden97 3/24/2014, 9:09 am

NotADRAMAfan wrote:hmm...you want a good player ..or a good team.

At u7, like CP mentioned, I want a good player.
hunden97
hunden97
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by fcwhatever 3/24/2014, 9:37 am

At this age it should be about fun and developing a passion for the game itself.This game is about control.Without it you can't dribble, pass or shoot. Players have to be comfortable on the ball.At this age it should be small sided and 3 v 3 or 4 v 4. Everyone plays offense and defense. Just general positions. You will have kids that gravitate to one or the other but important for them all to learn very basic concepts of both. I think you begin to introduce passing but expectations should be adjusted. One of the challenges with passing is that it is the start of some basic tactics and spatial awareness. I think you teach proper technique and how to weight a pass are your first steps with passing.

fcwhatever
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 3/24/2014, 11:40 am

hunden97 wrote:
NotADRAMAfan wrote:hmm...you want a good player ..or a good team.

At u7, like CP mentioned, I want a good player.

at any age i want a good player. the more good players you have the better team you can make.
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 3/24/2014, 11:42 am

fcwhatever wrote:At this age it should be about fun and developing a passion for the game itself.This game is about control.Without it you can't dribble, pass or shoot. Players have to be comfortable on the ball.At this age it should be small sided and 3 v 3 or 4 v 4. Everyone plays offense and defense. Just general positions. You will have kids that gravitate to one or the other but important for them all to learn very basic concepts of both. I think you begin to introduce passing but expectations should be adjusted. One of the challenges with passing is that it is the start of some basic tactics and spatial awareness. I think you teach proper technique and how to weight a pass are your first steps with passing.

fun is the key. with my son we had wall ball games for ice cream, money, toys etc. the wall gave him THOUSANDS of touches his friends will never have.
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by PitchBound 3/24/2014, 12:29 pm

soccerdadrandy wrote:
fcwhatever wrote:At this age it should be about fun and developing a passion for the game itself.This game is about control.Without it you can't dribble, pass or shoot. Players have to be comfortable on the ball.At this age it should be small sided and 3 v 3 or 4 v 4. Everyone plays offense and defense. Just general positions. You will have kids that gravitate to one or the other but important for them all to learn very basic concepts of both. I think you begin to introduce passing but expectations should be adjusted. One of the challenges with passing is that it is the start of some basic tactics and spatial awareness. I think you teach proper technique and how to weight a pass are your first steps with passing.

fun is the key. with my son we had wall ball games for ice cream, money, toys etc. the wall gave him THOUSANDS of touches his friends will never have.

We do that with the basic necessities: Food, shelter, clothing, etc. No touches, no dinner Smile

*Joking if DPS is reading this.

PitchBound
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by cowpukesfan 3/24/2014, 3:39 pm

Department of Public Safety?

cowpukesfan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by toepoker11 3/24/2014, 8:15 pm

With my oldest bb (he's a 97),  he was our first and for most of his early years we stressed dribbling and touch and skills and that seemed to be the most fun for him when he would practice on his own. My younger bb's have the luxury to practice with him as they were and are developing and they all together are able to involve passing in their play and practice with each other. My oldest bb always jokes that they have an advantage he didn't have, an older player to learn from in a fun environment which allows them to involve a lot more passing in their play and development. They don't have to use the wall like he did since he was the first although they do because they want to be like their big brother! Main thing is to develop touch and a comfort level with the ball, passing tactics are not something very young players should spend huge amounts of time working on, if they cannot control the ball in the first place. Small sided and dribbling, skills, fun are what should be stressed in the early years. Most important of all though is fun, if it is not fun to them they will not stick with it in the long run. IMO of course.

toepoker11
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by kickback49 3/24/2014, 8:54 pm

DRIBBLING
kickback49
kickback49
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PitchBound 3/24/2014, 9:21 pm

I have seen this progression work well:

Stage 1

1 - Dribbling
2 - Running with the ball
3 - Ball control (Stops and starts, change of direction, cutting, etc etc)
4 - 1 v 1 (Defense and Offense)

Stage 2

1 - 1st touch (Ball control and receiving)
2 - Passing
3 - 2v1, 2v2, 3v1, 3v2, 4v2, 4v3, 4v4
4 - Shooting

PitchBound
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateChop 3/25/2014, 10:24 am

Touch and passing. Learn to pass the ball. A great pass is faster and more able than just about any player out there trying to dribble his way to personal glory.

KarateChop
KarateChop
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by passingby 3/26/2014, 6:59 pm

You are all wrong. Train to whether they are left or right brained. If they are left brained passing, vision, and strategy will come naturally. Whereas if they are right brained dribbling, touch and speed of play will dominate. Being left brained I naturally taught passing and kicking without consideration. My son has great vision with nice through balls etc. but dribbling is a big deficit. You may be thinking that isn't bad, but kids this age are not ready for through balls and he hands off the ball to other dribblers (black holes) way to quickly. Food for thought.

passingby
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan 3/26/2014, 10:15 pm

Touch is the most important thing to master.
PremierLeagueFan
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by hunden97 3/27/2014, 9:27 am

PremierLeagueFan wrote:Touch is the most important thing to master.

BINGO!
hunden97
hunden97
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PitchBound 3/27/2014, 10:17 am

PremierLeagueFan wrote:Touch is the most important thing to master.

Now the question is "what" develops 1st touch the best Smile

For me, its a combination of individual touches on the ball and getting comfortable with all surfaces. What I've seen from my experience is those players that are the most comfortable with the ball are those with the best 1st touch.

PitchBound
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 3/27/2014, 10:22 am

Bottom line is that technique has to be developed outside of the standard 2-3 team practice sessions per week.

Up until 15/16 that is the most important thing. Not saying you don't teach tactics before then. But without a strong technical base, a player's ultimate potential is limited.

And yes, even defenders need to be very strong technically.

The very best defenders can distinguish themselves by being composed on the ball and being able to play out of the back.

Technical ability alone shouldn't be the only determining factor on a player's role/position.

Gerard Pique could easily play as a midfielder for a lot of teams.

I think a lot of parents, and the kids themselves, tend to neglect their technique once they are labeled (rightly or wrongly) as 'defenders'.

Dribbling is an important element of the game. The problem is that you can't have a team with 5-6 'dribblitos' . It's fine to encourage dribbling in the formative years, but at some point, the ability to keep the ball moving under control becomes the most important thing.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next