Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

How Do You Become the Chosen One? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

How Do You Become the Chosen One?

+11
soccerdadrandy
GotNoGame
Arsenal1984
slrsoccer2
plantit
onetouch
Sho'Nuff
ontherightside
itsamoneygrab
bigtex75081
Uncleof05AP
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How Do You Become the Chosen One? Empty How Do You Become the Chosen One?

Post by Uncleof05AP 9/1/2016, 8:48 am

Unless a professional bowling league starts in Europe, my nephew will not play professional sports across the Big Pond.  That being said, I have been intrigued by the thread concerning Weston McKinnie signing with FC Schalke 04.  There have been other similar threads.  In those threads, it is often expressed that only those that are politically connected and have money have a chance to "make it" overseas.  Let's say you are not connected by birth and do not sleep on a bed covered with Benjamins; if a kid in the United States has dreams of "making it," how would that kid make his dreams become a reality?  What path would you suggest he take to be successful?  Basically, you have a clean slate, and you are trying to create (for the lack of a better word) the next "chosen one."  How would do it?  How would you get the kid noticed?  Would you move to Europe?  Create your own club?  Not play on a club team?  Become a manager of your kids team so you can manipulate the team for you own advantage?  Only do City Futsal or the Luccin Academy?  Watch YouTube and hit a ball against a wall?

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

How Do You Become the Chosen One? Empty Re: How Do You Become the Chosen One?

Post by bigtex75081 9/1/2016, 11:54 am

I think you start by leaving a soccer ball on the floor of every room in your house. Just leave them there for your BB to touch and play with ALL THE TIME. Don't correct him or tell him what he should or shouldn't do. Just let him teach himself what can and cannot be done with a soccer ball.

Also... Don't own anything that's fragile. Live in an area that gets crappy cell, wifi, and TV reception. Don't pay for cable TV. Don't buy him an iPad or an Xbox.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by itsamoneygrab 9/1/2016, 12:02 pm

there is nothing you can so have your nephew start playing either football, baseball, or basketball hell he has a better chance of making the Olympics(with all the creative sports they have now) than he does a pro soccer career

itsamoneygrab
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ontherightside 9/1/2016, 12:05 pm

I certainly don't have the answers, but just want to clarify that Weston did not come from money nor political connections. His father was in the Army and stationed in Germany, but Weston moved here when he was 7-8 yrs. of age. He and my son played youth academy and 3 v 3 together, and let me tell you, you could tell then that he had "it". That is how he got the nickname on this board as "The Chosen One" b/c you could not use real names of youth, and everyone on this board posted about him. Weston played up one year when he started select. He played for Kevin Smith with Solar. He moved to FCD and spent one year in residency at IMG. No doubt Weston had some of the better coaches that the metroplex has to offer for whatever that is worth. He was one heck of an athlete from early on. In his younger years, he was as good a running back as he was a soccer player. He has worked hard, made sacrifices, and so glad to see it has all paid off.
BTW - he is of excellent character, too. He was raised well. Congrats to him!!!!

ontherightside
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sho'Nuff 9/1/2016, 1:07 pm

I think parents can create strong competent players, but that's about it. You can't create the chosen one.
Sho'Nuff
Sho'Nuff
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 9/1/2016, 1:19 pm

Sho'Nuff wrote:I think parents can create strong competent players, but that's about it.  You can't create the chosen one.
Agreed. Ultimately, the level of success your son achieves in soccer is decided by him.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sho'Nuff 9/1/2016, 1:29 pm

bigtex75081 wrote:
Sho'Nuff wrote:I think parents can create strong competent players, but that's about it.  You can't create the chosen one.
Agreed.  Ultimately, the level of success your son achieves in soccer is decided by him.

Indeed.

Sho' also believes in pedigree and God-given athleticism.
Sho'Nuff
Sho'Nuff
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by onetouch 9/1/2016, 5:21 pm

ontherightside wrote:I certainly don't have the answers, but just want to clarify that Weston did not come from money nor political connections.  His father was in the Army and stationed in Germany, but Weston moved here when he was 7-8 yrs. of age.  He and my son played youth academy and 3 v 3 together, and let me tell you, you could tell then that he had "it".  That is how he got the nickname on this board as "The Chosen One" b/c you could not use real names of youth, and everyone on this board posted about him.  Weston played up one year when he started select.  He played for Kevin Smith with Solar.  He moved to FCD and spent one year in residency at IMG.  No doubt Weston had some of the better coaches that the metroplex has to offer for whatever that is worth.  He was one heck of an athlete from early on.  In his younger years, he was as good a running back as he was a soccer player.  He has worked hard, made sacrifices, and so glad to see it has all paid off.
BTW - he is of excellent character, too.  He was raised well.  Congrats to him!!!!

OTRS, could not agree more. From early on, he was light years ahead mentally than anyone his age when it comes to pure soccer IQ, plus he was an outstanding athlete. In many sports, kids that dominate at an early age, usually come back to the pack so to speak as they get older, but Weston has been one of the exceptions. Because soccer is so much more than just physical skill, the top players also have to "know" the game, Weston has always been smarter. Those in the know, could see early on that he understood the game much better than every other kid he played with. He was, and always has been a student of the game. He was never really given anything, he was born with a gift, and passionately developed it. There may be some that are given opportunities because of their connections, but there is NO European team that would sign a kid from America just because of his last name. This kid has earned everything he is now being rewarded with, and if you know him, or have ever been around him, he is the most humble, gracious "wunderkid" you will ever meet. Well done WM.
onetouch
onetouch
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by itsamoneygrab 9/1/2016, 5:57 pm

bigtex75081 wrote:
Agreed.  Ultimately, the level of success your son achieves in soccer is decided by him.
unfortunately this is not true there are many kids in this area alone that are very good but get overlooked because of politics and lack of the right connections

itsamoneygrab
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncleof05AP 9/1/2016, 11:16 pm

For the record, I did not mean to imply that Weston is politically connected or has "iPhone money."   I know very little about the kid and was not aware of his history on this forum (which was interesting to learn).  I was merely referring to posts on various threads on this forum that seem to imply that having political connections and money is the best way to "make it."

Also, maybe "create" was not the best word to use.  Let's say a kid has the same traits that Weston appears to have demonstrated at an early age.   How would you foster those talents to make sure the kid reached his potential?   (I am not sure that it is merely God-given talent; thus, the kid will be successful no matter what.)

Finally, for the reasons set forth in BigTex's original post (which I enjoyed), my nephew is not and will never be the "Chosen One."  My post is merely a hypothetical.  Unlike most relatives that I see on the sidelines, I have no grand thoughts of him going shirtless after winning the Champions League.

Last edited by Uncleof05AP on 9/2/2016, 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling like a first grader.)

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by plantit 9/2/2016, 1:10 am

itsamoneygrab wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:
unfortunately this is not true there are many kids in this area alone that are very good but get overlooked because of politics and lack of the right connections

Couldn't agree more . A lot of coaches are always looking for shiny new toys to play with and often miss what's right under their nose. They are feed players who are being promoted by this person or that person and often can't see the forest through the trees. What was the super big stud at u-12 has stopped growing and is now just average and slow . Meanwhile the kid that was kicked to the curb is now the beast with resilience . The problem lies in the coaches egos not wanting to admit that they got it wrong and just wasted 5 years training a dud that can't play at the next level.  Everyone falls in love with the flashy player and most clubs around here look for 20 of them. Overseas I think they pick a few CHOSEN  ones but most are just solid ,calm, fundamentally good players who make good decisions . Most have great vision, play with their heads up and can complete a 15 yard pass with stunning accuracy and pace. Trust me none of this will get you noticed in the US.

Maybe Emo got some breaks along the way but any one who saw him play in classic would tell you he was always two steps ahead and saw things before they even happened .

My younger son had the enviable task of man marking Weston for a entire game back in Westons ASG days where he also had a very good coach . All I can say is he didn't score that day and his only comment was "are you gonna follow me around all game ? " answer "YEP". He is a great kid and I hope he does well  

Advice to the original poster...   Keep it simple ,soccer is a simple game, be excellent at the basics. Passing , first touch, spacing , playing off the ball. Leave the flash to others , there will always be someone more flashy.

With my older son I've talked till I'm blue in the face over the years to watch him through these eyes .{ He puts the ball where you want it . when you want it , the way you want it.} I see it and I'm pretty objective and critical , but no one appreciates that around  here  .   It's Boring
So many can't do that .Their late with the ball, the passes are not accurate or there passed so hard or in the air, seconds are wasted settling the ball. He plays in collage now and yes I have given up . Even at that level the game is played so fast it's out of control and so are most of the players . It's like our top clubs, schools and coaches don't even watch the EPL. Overseas there are moments of explosiveness and flashy brilliance  but most of the game is played under control ,very methodical and with precise execution. Look at it this way a lot of coaches out there are players that didn't make it  not all but a lot . Most are only concerned with a paycheck and wining pays the bills . Player development and transfer fees break the bank and as usual America is about instant gratification. We don't have the patience to develop  the results speak for themselves .
plantit
plantit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sho'Nuff 9/2/2016, 6:48 am

Sure, there are some "good" players that are overlooked. That's not what this thread is about.

I've been on the wrong end of nepotism, and the parent has some control over that, change coaches, clubs.

The parent can't control the athlete's passion for training and athleticism can't be taught, although it sounds like some of you don't believe in it.
Sho'Nuff
Sho'Nuff
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by slrsoccer2 9/2/2016, 8:24 am

[quote="plantit"][quote="itsamoneygrab"][quote="bigtex75081"][quote="Sho'Nuff"]I think parents can create strong competent players, but that's about it.  You can't create the chosen one.[/quote]
Agreed.  Ultimately, the level of success your son achieves in soccer is decided by him.[/quote]
unfortunately this is not true there are many kids in this area alone that are very good but get overlooked because of politics and lack of the right connections[/quote]

Couldn't agree more . A lot of coaches are always looking for shiny new toys to play with and often miss what's right under their nose. They are  feed players who are being promoted by this person or that person and often can't see the forest through the trees. What was the super big stud at u-12 has stopped growing and is now just average and slow . Meanwhile the kid that was kicked to the curb is now the beast with resilience . The problem lies in the coaches egos not wanting to admit that they got it wrong and just wasted 5 years training a dud that can't play at the next level.  Everyone falls in love with the flashy player and most clubs around here look for 20 of them. Overseas I think they pick a few CHOSEN  ones but most are just solid ,calm, fundamentally good players who make good decisions . Most have great vision, play with their heads up and can complete a 15 yard pass with stunning accuracy and pace. Trust me none of this will get you noticed in the US.

Maybe Emo got some breaks along the way but any one who saw him play in classic would tell you he was always two steps ahead and saw things before they even happened .

My younger son had the enviable task of man marking Weston for a entire game back in Westons  ASG days where he also had a very good coach . All I can say is he didn't score that day and his only comment was "are you gonna follow me around all game ? " answer "YEP". He is a great kid and I hope he does well  

Advice to the original poster...   Keep it simple ,soccer is a simple game, be excellent at the basics. Passing , first touch, spacing , playing off the ball. Leave the flash to others , there will always be someone more flashy.

With my older son I've talked till I'm blue in the face over the years to watch him through these eyes .{ He puts the ball where you want it . when you want it , the way you want it.} I see it and I'm pretty objective and critical , but no one appreciates that around  here  .   It's Boring
So many can't do that .Their late with the ball, the passes are not accurate or there passed so hard or in the air, seconds are wasted settling the ball. He plays in collage now and yes I have given up . Even at that level the game is played so fast it's out of control and so are most of the players . It's like our top clubs, schools and coaches don't even watch the EPL. Overseas there are moments of explosiveness and flashy brilliance  but most of the game is played under control ,very methodical and with precise execution. Look at it this way a lot of coaches out there are players that didn't make it  not all but a lot . Most are only concerned with a paycheck and wining pays the bills . Player development and transfer fees break the bank and as usual America is about instant gratification. We don't have the patience to develop  the results speak for themselves .[/quote]

This (^^) is one of the best posts on this board in quite some time. I hope people read this and understand what you are really saying.

For those that haven't seen this kid play, he is not what you would call "flashy", but he does everything well, everything. He has a great first touch, incredible vision, a great soccer IQ and enough athleticism for an entire team. For me, what sets him apart from others is his work ethic. The kid never stops running and will never duck out of a tackle. Add to that the fact that he is a leader and you have what is in my opinion the most professional ready 18 year old North Texas has seen
in many, many years.

As for money and connections that many want to talk about. They are great for opening doors but in the end, the player is either good enough or he isn't. No big club in Europe signs a player to a contract based on anything other than potential.

I expect big things from WM and I really feel he will challenge for a first team spot by the end of this season. Best of luck to him.

slrsoccer2
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenal1984 9/2/2016, 9:49 am

plantit wrote:
itsamoneygrab wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:

Couldn't agree more . A lot of coaches are always looking for shiny new toys to play with and often miss what's right under their nose. They are  feed players who are being promoted by this person or that person and often can't see the forest through the trees. What was the super big stud at u-12 has stopped growing and is now just average and slow . Meanwhile the kid that was kicked to the curb is now the beast with resilience . The problem lies in the coaches egos not wanting to admit that they got it wrong and just wasted 5 years training a dud that can't play at the next level.  Everyone falls in love with the flashy player and most clubs around here look for 20 of them. Overseas I think they pick a few CHOSEN  ones but most are just solid ,calm, fundamentally good players who make good decisions . Most have great vision, play with their heads up and can complete a 15 yard pass with stunning accuracy and pace. Trust me none of this will get you noticed in the US.

My younger son had the enviable task of man marking Weston for a entire game back in Westons  ASG days where he also had a very good coach . All I can say is he didn't score that day and his only comment was "are you gonna follow me around all game ? " answer "YEP". He is a great kid and I hope he does well  

So many can't do that .Their late with the ball, the passes are not accurate or there passed so hard or in the air, seconds are wasted settling the ball. He plays in collage now and yes I have given up . Even at that level the game is played so fast it's out of control and so are most of the players . It's like our top clubs, schools and coaches don't even watch the EPL. Overseas there are moments of explosiveness and flashy brilliance  but most of the game is played under control ,very methodical and with precise execution. Look at it this way a lot of coaches out there are players that didn't make it  not all but a lot . Most are only concerned with a paycheck and wining pays the bills . Player development and transfer fees break the bank and as usual America is about instant gratification. We don't have the patience to develop  the results speak for themselves .

The first and last paragraphs are 100% spot on! Too much desire for Instant Gratification (winning) and not having the patience to objectively evaluate and ultimately "develop" a player.
Arsenal1984
Arsenal1984
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 9/2/2016, 10:38 am

slrsoccer2 wrote:As for money and connections that many want to talk about.  They are great for opening doors but in the end, the player is either good enough or he isn't.  No big club in Europe signs a player to a contract based on anything other than potential.
(I'm trimming these lines of quotes down just for this post. I'm enjoying this dialogue very much. I just want to make a point though that relates to this 1 statement.)

I agree that money and connections can make a difference in a soccer career. Exposure to the right scouts at the right soccer camps... "Finding" an open roster spot on a top team... Starting and playing 60% of a game instead of 30%-40% off the bench because your parents employ the coach as their financial planner...

I do not agree though that money and connections are enough to get you signed with a European club. Or replace your "Chosen One" teammate as a starter and put him on the bench in your BB's place.

Money and connections will get you things. That's not limited to soccer though. That same issue impacts everything in the real world. People get professional jobs because of connections. Having money gives you much easier access to more money. That's just reality. Why would soccer somehow be immune to that principle? Pretending that it shouldn't exist doesn't mean that it doesn't actually exist.

It also doesn't mean though that exceptional people cannot usurp the others around them that have money and connections. It just means they'll have to work a little harder.

And you always have a little luck. Everyone needs a little luck. Luck counts.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by slrsoccer2 9/2/2016, 12:02 pm

[/quote]
Money and connections will get you things.  That's not limited to soccer though. That same issue impacts everything in the real world.  People get professional jobs because of connections.  Having money gives you much easier access to more money.  That's just reality.  Why would soccer somehow be immune to that principle?  Pretending that it shouldn't exist doesn't mean that it doesn't actually exist.  [/quote]

Good discussion. I didn't mean to come across saying soccer is immune to that principle, far from it.

You can be a kid that got into the best medical school in the country because of Dad's money, graduated med school and got a good job at a hospital. However, if you can't perform in the operating room and constantly mess up in surgery, you won't be a surgeon for long. You can be a kid that got into the best law school because you are a legacy, graduated with honors and landed a job at a huge firm. However, if you can't argue in the court room and get results for your clients, you wont' be in the courtroom long.

All I am saying is that the same principle stands for footballers. Connections and money may get you in, and you may even have a great youth career at a huge academy. But if you can't perform in the first team, you won't be there long...no amount of money or connections will be able to keep you there. I really don't think this exists but if I am wrong I will certainly look at the examples. Managers sons have been sold, Diplomats sons have been sold, sons of Royals have been sold. I could go down the first team in all of the leagues I am familiar with and not find one that is there simply because of money or connections. Either they can play or they can't.

slrsoccer2
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GotNoGame 9/2/2016, 1:24 pm

I just happened upon this thread and agree with everyone else that it's a great (and civil!) discussion. I'm curious about the "development" and "instant gratification" points people are making. It seems that so far the discussion has focused on field players, understandable since Weston McKinnie was the original basis of the thread (btw, I don't know him, but he sounds like a great player and an even better human being, so congrats to him!). So, here's my question: Do the people on this thread believe the same principles apply to goalkeepers? In other words, do teams/academies/coaches in the U.S./NTX pass up good goalkeepers who haven't reached 6-foot-3 by the time they're 12 in favor of giants with lesser ability because they need to be able to reach those 7-foot crossbars in order to save the win? I don't know anything about the player development academies in NTX, but I've seen and heard about many competitive team coaches in the area taking the tallest kid on a young team and "strongly encouraging" him to be the goalkeeper, or passing on smaller goalkeepers that (IMHO) appeared to be superior in every aspect of the game - soccer IQ, athleticism, technique, agility, communication, etc. - except height. Just to cut off any controversy, I want to be clear that I'm not taking a dig at anybody or anybody's BB. I'm just really curious because, like some have said on this thread, it seems that some really good players (in this case, goalkeepers) with serious potential could be passed over in this system purely because of their height/stature when they're in the younger ages. Has anyone else seen this happen? Thoughts? Thanks!

GotNoGame
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 9/2/2016, 2:47 pm

GotNoGame wrote:I just happened upon this thread and agree with everyone else that it's a great (and civil!) discussion.  I'm curious about the "development" and "instant gratification" points people are making. It seems that so far the discussion has focused on field players, understandable since Weston McKinnie was the original basis of the thread (btw, I don't know him, but he sounds like a great player and an even better human being, so congrats to him!). So, here's my question: Do the people on this thread believe the same principles apply to goalkeepers?  In other words, do teams/academies/coaches in the U.S./NTX pass up good goalkeepers who haven't reached 6-foot-3 by the time they're 12 in favor of giants with lesser ability because they need to be able to reach those 7-foot crossbars in order to save the win? I don't know anything about the player development academies in NTX, but I've seen and heard about many competitive team coaches in the area taking the tallest kid on a young team and "strongly encouraging" him to be the goalkeeper, or passing on smaller goalkeepers that (IMHO) appeared to be superior in every aspect of the game - soccer IQ, athleticism, technique, agility, communication, etc. - except height. Just to cut off any controversy, I want to be clear that I'm not taking a dig at anybody or anybody's BB. I'm just really curious because, like some have said on this thread, it seems that some really good players (in this case, goalkeepers) with serious potential could be passed over in this system purely because of their height/stature when they're in the younger ages. Has anyone else seen this happen? Thoughts? Thanks!

this "instant gratification" syndrome is not unique to soccer. i.e.: the 6 ft center in basketball with poor hands and feet but can disrupt an opposing teams layup and snag rebounds. heck even in the 6th grade spelling bee kids have won that turned out to be very average students. the eventual spelling bee champion didn't give up, they kept studying Smile
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncleof05AP 9/2/2016, 4:08 pm

SLrsoccer2 (and those that added to his post), your posts remind me of some things that I witnessed over the past few weekends.  Last weekend, at a Classic League game, I witnessed a mother yelling at her kid to "go all the way."  Her child was at midfield playing on the outside.  Despite having several open players, she wanted him to use his "flashiness" to take the ball forty yards and score.  Five feet later the ball was taken from him.  His team was already being crushed by the other team - largely because of his team's failure to play as you suggested.  

Similarly, at a different game, I saw a player have a great cross to an open player.  Unfortunately, the open player could not finish it.  Nonetheless, it was a great play.   Even so, the father told his son that he should have taken on the defender with a "move" then take it up the sideline for the score.

My point is that the desire for "flashiness" and "instant gratification" is also driven by the parents, not just coaches.  It is a lack of understanding from the parents.  In the games I noted, in essence, you had nine players competing as nine different players rather than nine players competing as one team. Nonetheless, it is what many parents demand. Theiy only see the small picture.

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by davito 9/2/2016, 6:16 pm

I will try to answer the original question of this thread.

You cannot create a great player. But you can support a player to realize his maximum potential.

Talent and hard work are by far the most important factors.

But football is a subjective sport and it can be difficult to stand out from the crowd. This is where connections can provide an advantage and give a player opportunities that others don't receive. Money is also helpful as it can pay for extra training and enable a player to put themselves in the shop window via travel to big tournaments, training with big clubs etc.

As parents it is our job to support the player's ambitions. These will likely change over time. Most keen 10 year olds want to play for a big professional club. By 14, most just want to play for their school or maybe in college. Parents have to support accordingly as the ambitions evolve.

I would not move to Europe for football reasons. The odds are against you and uprooting your family just for soccer would be foolish. If you have other reasons to move there then great. The soccer culture and opportunities will be a nice fringe benefit.

At age 4-7 I would consider rec options, City Futsal skills and youth academy. The main concern at this age is fun, plenty of touches and good fundamental coaching. You have to be careful not to overdo it at this age. Every kid is different. Some want to play all the time while others only want 2 days a week. Keep a ball in the living room and encourage play at recess at school.

Age 7-10 I would get along to a youth academy FCD, Texans, Solar, etc. Wherever you can find good fundamental coaching and a fun atmosphere. I would also sprinkle in some private skills and City Futsal for development of excellent skills and confidence plus variety. Still have to be careful to balance frequency with the player's level of thirst. 3 or 4 organized activities is probably lots for most kids at this age.

Age 10-12 progress from Youth Academy to DA at FCD, Solar or Texans. At this point 3 organized activities a week plus a game are the minimum in my opinion. Can still sprinkle in other stuff like skills, Futsal etc asking as the player is not overloaded.

Age 12-18 DA at FCD, Solar, Texans. Training 4 or 5 times a week. Visibility becoming more important. FCD DA is one of the biggest shop windows in the nation. Standouts at Solar and Texans will get noticed too. Get invited to national team camps and move to IMG national team residency program at 15 or 16.

Age 18 sign for a big club.

Plenty of kids are following this path already but only 1 or 2 have the talent to make it to the professional ranks at the end.
davito
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by itsamoneygrab 9/2/2016, 7:25 pm

GotNoGame wrote:I just happened upon this thread and agree with everyone else that it's a great (and civil!) discussion.  I'm curious about the "development" and "instant gratification" points people are making. It seems that so far the discussion has focused on field players, understandable since Weston McKinnie was the original basis of the thread (btw, I don't know him, but he sounds like a great player and an even better human being, so congrats to him!). So, here's my question: Do the people on this thread believe the same principles apply to goalkeepers?  In other words, do teams/academies/coaches in the U.S./NTX pass up good goalkeepers who haven't reached 6-foot-3 by the time they're 12 in favor of giants with lesser ability because they need to be able to reach those 7-foot crossbars in order to save the win? I don't know anything about the player development academies in NTX, but I've seen and heard about many competitive team coaches in the area taking the tallest kid on a young team and "strongly encouraging" him to be the goalkeeper, or passing on smaller goalkeepers that (IMHO) appeared to be superior in every aspect of the game - soccer IQ, athleticism, technique, agility, communication, etc. - except height. Just to cut off any controversy, I want to be clear that I'm not taking a dig at anybody or anybody's BB. I'm just really curious because, like some have said on this thread, it seems that some really good players (in this case, goalkeepers) with serious potential could be passed over in this system purely because of their height/stature when they're in the younger ages. Has anyone else seen this happen? Thoughts? Thanks!
yep unfortunately  the same s* with the keepers and I have personally just heard of one example of this. oh and its nice to see posts on these discussions I just wonder if any of the posts with all the breakdowns and technical analysis if anybody have personal experience to draw from?

itsamoneygrab
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer10Dad 9/2/2016, 7:59 pm

I know plenty of people who burned relationships with coaches in the soccer world who are now paying the price. One example is academy and trying to get in the program, burn that coach and guess what. Youre not getting in.

Soccer10Dad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 9/2/2016, 8:02 pm

Soccer10Dad wrote:I know plenty of people who burned relationships with coaches in the soccer world who are now paying the price.  One example is academy and trying to get in the program, burn that coach and guess what.  Youre not getting in.

Yes, but your bb can play D1 college soccer on a scholarship without spending one day in the Academy program. Don't believe that just because your kid plays Academy that he is automatically good. Park your ego at the gate, coach!

Other than that, yes, don't talk to the coaches. Speak with your feet. If you don't like what's in front of you. Move on.

Last edited by finish1 on 9/2/2016, 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 9/2/2016, 8:03 pm

IMO, the gold standard for a soccer player coming out of this region is Clint Dempsey. Here is a kid out of the trailer park with no money or YouTube videos. No wall ball or daddy coach. No Grandpa or silver spoon.

He knew what he didn't want and soccer was his way out.

His name should be enshrined at the Texas Soccer Players Hall of Fame in Frisco and we should all have our kids rub a golden cleat every time we visit the stadium in hope that one day, maybe, they want out as bad as he did.

Thank you Clint Dempsey!! You are our hometown hero!!!
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer10Dad 9/2/2016, 8:25 pm

FCD is too greedy to display anything Clint Dempsey for the fear of promoting Texans.

FCD built a youth business on the backs of naïve and uneducated soccer parents with fat wallets thinking their kid was selected for talent and not a paycheck.

Soccer10Dad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next