Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

New Changes to The Laws of the Game Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

New Changes to The Laws of the Game

5 posters

Go down

New Changes to The Laws of the Game Empty New Changes to The Laws of the Game

Post by finish1 1/9/2017, 7:23 am

As the refs are updating their licenses, they are seeing changes to the LOTG. Below are just a couple, paraphrased for simplicity. Add more if you know them.

For Offside calls, the ball is spotted where the offside player touches the ball. Previously, the ball was spotted where the player was located when offside was called.

For Penalty Kicks, the ref flips a coin twice. The first flip determines which goal to shoot on. The second flip is for who shoots first.

finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

New Changes to The Laws of the Game Empty Re: New Changes to The Laws of the Game

Post by 04Soccerdad 1/9/2017, 8:59 am

I'm not sure I like the new ruling for offside calls. I see a LOT of angry parents on the sidelines in the future. That translates to pissed off referees, delayed games and a lot of verbal exchanges. Yay!

04Soccerdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

New Changes to The Laws of the Game Empty Re: New Changes to The Laws of the Game

Post by nearpost95 1/9/2017, 2:24 pm

also, on the offside, if the defender touches the ball in attempt to play it,  but the ball continues to an attacking player in an offside position, the attacker will no longer be penalized.  referees previously called offside if the defender did not control the ball, i.e. treated it like a deflection.  under the new interpretation, a deflection off the defender still results in an offside.

I seriously doubt that parents will be upset over the ball placement since their judgment on the player being offside is usually the opposite of reality, i.e. they will be arguing the call itself.

the best law change is that the ball may be played in any direction on a kick-off.

the law changes have been in effect for USSF-sanctioned games since last summer.

nearpost95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 04Soccerdad 1/31/2017, 9:07 am

I was watching a game at FCD Field 2 this past weekend. This is a turf field but is marked for football. During the game, I was thinking how the new offside rule would apply. I can't see this working well and it also raised several questions for me.

Here is one example. A player was called offside at the 40. However, he ran down and touched it at around the 10. That's 30 yards of field advantage given to the team that drew the call. How is that fair?

This also raises the question, when does the linesman raise the flag to call the offside? If he raises his flag where the person was first seen as offsides, players could just let up off the play allowing the ball to go farther down the field before it is touched. Does he raise it when the player touches the ball? In the scenario I described above, the keeper could come out to contest the player and potentially get hurt for no reason at all.

Now I start thinking about the younger kids. You know there are many teams that don't have a strong kicker. In the play I described earlier, that 30 yards is huge. I can see a coach intentionally creating offside plays just to move the ball farther down the field and take advantage of the fact the other team can't kick the ball out.

Not sure if this rule change is a good one.

04Soccerdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 1/31/2017, 9:45 am

I've seen refs raise their flag and the indirect kick awarded where the offense happened and I've seen refs raise their flag, but not make the call until the player touches the ball.

If you are an attacking player and the ref raises his flag, don't touch the ball. Let it roll and no indirect free kick should be given (these usually can be scooped up by the keeper)

finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by allen04 1/31/2017, 9:55 am

A player was called offside at the 40. However, he ran down and touched it at around the 10.

That is the first thing I though of when I read the new ruling. Attacking team can just let the ball run and touch it before it goes out. Get a typical North Texas day with 15-20 mph winds and now the defending team is at a disadvantage; makes the play like a coffin corner punt in football.

What about the times the attacking player never touches the ball; those offside calls going away? Had games where the ref stops play and the offside player never even touches the ball.
allen04
allen04
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by twotone 1/31/2017, 11:19 am

to make it even more confusing, advantage will now be applied to offside. This could help in the scenarios above, where if the offside players stops and the defense collects the ball, then the game just keeps going because the offside is no longer a threat.

IMO, they wait to see if the offside player gets to the ball now because they want the game to keep moving. So if the offside player stops, but another attacker that was onside keeps going and gets to the ball, the game keeps going. This definitely makes it harder for the referees, but better for the game.

The big problem is if the offside player keeps going and an onside player goes with him. Does the referee have to wait to see which player gets there first? if its the offside player then they call it but if the onside player gets there first then they let it go?

twotone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 1/31/2017, 2:17 pm

Interesting point 2T. I haven't seen anyone run that play yet, but it could really work out in your favor. Send a decoy into an offside call to slow the defense, then send an onside finisher, who pounces the ball and takes it to the net. The theory is criminal, but totally legit. I love it!

finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by twotone 1/31/2017, 6:32 pm

So this isn't a "play" that was run but this is exactly what I'm describing. The ball was played thru with an attacker offsides. In fact, a defender stepped up in order to pull the attacker offside. Then, Donovan gets to the ball first after making a run from an onside position.

The linesman is supposed to wait until the ball is touched now and this is the reason why. Thoughts?

twotone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by nearpost95 1/31/2017, 11:35 pm

twotone wrote:
The big problem is if the offside player keeps going and an onside player goes with him. Does the referee have to wait to see which player gets there first? if its the offside player then they call it but if the onside player gets there first then they let it go?

yes and yes, and this is not a new thing.

nearpost95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by nearpost95 1/31/2017, 11:48 pm

finish1 wrote:Interesting point 2T. I haven't seen anyone run that play yet, but it could really work out in your favor. Send a decoy into an offside call to slow the defense, then send an onside finisher, who pounces the ball and takes it to the net. The theory is criminal, but totally legit. I love it!

Several years ago, saw the McKinney Boyd girls team massively do this to an opposing team...

Opposing defense pushed up to midfield to trap.  Boyd sent 3 players offside on the attacking left side, then sent a couple players offside on the attacking right side, then a delayed pass up the middle with an onside trailing runner.

Chaos.

nearpost95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down