Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

What's this? Soccer 101 at the National Team Camp? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

What's this? Soccer 101 at the National Team Camp?

+3
txsoccer11
1halfback
pass2space
7 posters

Go down

What's this? Soccer 101 at the National Team Camp? Empty What's this? Soccer 101 at the National Team Camp?

Post by pass2space 1/30/2011, 9:20 am

Read the article -- but the comments that follow is where the gold is mined.

pass2space
pass2space
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

What's this? Soccer 101 at the National Team Camp? Empty Re: What's this? Soccer 101 at the National Team Camp?

Post by 1halfback 2/13/2011, 11:06 pm

pass2space wrote:Read the article -- but the comments that follow is where the gold is mined.

I cannot agree more with some of the comments. I often wonder what would happen if Lionel Messi were born in US and had to go through the academy system here. US can learn from Japan. I don't think Japan can win a World Cup in the next 10 years but go to youtube and find some video clips of Japanese kids playing soccer... the game has changed IMO, rule changes favor creativity and skills. Time for fundamental changes.

1halfback
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

What's this? Soccer 101 at the National Team Camp? Empty Re: What's this? Soccer 101 at the National Team Camp?

Post by txsoccer11 2/14/2011, 7:02 am

I think the soccer game in the US will change when more coaches, clubs and parents realize the importance of skills and ball control. Most of the games I watch are kick and run. No skills, no creativity, no ball control. Just kick & run and the pressure to score.

I recall when my BB practiced with a team for a few sessions and not one kid on the team knew how to juggle. My BB asked one of the players why they don't juggle & the response was "for what?"

I think instinct is also important for kids while playing soccer and most kids don't go with their instincts because of FEAR--fear of being yelled at by their coach, fear of being trashed by their teammates and of course fear of the psycho parents on the sidelines!

txsoccer11
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by pass2space 2/14/2011, 10:01 am

to your point on creativity - one thing on the very long list of things that need to change is the ratio of structured/unstructured play that occurs. I believe our young ones get more than their recommended dose of structured practices, drills and games. Not enough unstructured play where they can let loose, be creative, maybe work on some of the moves learned in practice without any fear of messing up, being corrected or directed by parent or coaches. I've noticed for quite some time that my son is always more anxious about getting to practices early or staying after practice so he and his teammates can just play. Same thing at school, during recess and after school when a collection of boys (all ages) meet up for a quick pick-up game with the goal being nothing more than between the chain link fence post of the baseball backstop. I'll have to go and dig up a comparison I came across that outlined the US compared to other countries and the ratio of structured/unstructured play in youth development. but unfortunately its what you would expect.
pass2space
pass2space
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pass2space 2/14/2011, 2:26 pm

Very Interesting. US v Europe Youth Development Comparison (6-12 yr olds).

USSF 2009 Player Development Document
pass2space
pass2space
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/14/2011, 3:56 pm

pass2space wrote:Very Interesting. US v Europe Youth Development Comparison (6-12 yr olds).

It is interesting but falls very short of giving any type of answers. Also it somewhat contradicts itself; it keeps on insisting on the lack of free, unstructured play but only offers better coaching education as a solution to soccer development in the US...What about soccer in school ? Playgrounds that allows small sided game in neighborhood ? Programs that allows clubs to offer a soccer school relying on the local ISD? What are the possibility to encourage unstructured play ? So I guess it is a work in progress type of document but I am hoping USSF has a few answers hidden somewhere ..

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 2/14/2011, 4:44 pm

Why is it so inherently obvious and somewhat easy for kids to understand this concept in basketball, but not in soccer?

That is pretty scary to hear from a player of that level, like the number one draftee in baseball, after attending his first spring training camp, that he learned to keep his eye on the ball or use his gloved hand to catch.

That other ppt stands out in the fact that we just don't emphasize the sport - the practice/playing time gap between us and Europe keeps increasing. Personally, I don't think that it's a problem, but it's certainly a reason for the results.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 1halfback 2/14/2011, 5:46 pm

pass2space wrote:Very Interesting. US v Europe Youth Development Comparison (6-12 yr olds).

Pass - thanks for finding this doc. It has the data points I was looking for on slides 7 and 8. However, I am not sure about the overall conclusion that US players in Zone 1 play much less than their European counterparts. Not sure how they collected the data points for US academy programs. They seem to grossly underestimate the playing time for US players.

On another thread about Zach Lloyd and specialization at an early age, I estimated roughly 6 hrs/week for a typical U9 academy player - that's 2 practices 2x1.5 hrs or 3 hrs, 1 skills at 1hr, 2 games (1 academy and 1 pickup game or rec game) at 2 hrs. If this is true, then US players actually play more than most their European counterparts with Ajax at 3.5 hr/wk at the low end and Bayern at 8hr/wk at the extreme high end (too bad there is no data points for Barca).

US academy programs have not been very successful in producing world class players. This can be objectively measured by how many US players play in the top leagues and the rankings of US national teams at different age groups. I don't believe that simply increasing playing time will do the trick. At my BB's age group, raw athleticism and pace are the dominating factors in 9v9 games. Perhaps small sided games can fix that or at least help to foster intelligent players. Coaching - I don't know how to fix that. Coaching certification programs?

1halfback
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 1halfback 2/14/2011, 6:59 pm

1halfback wrote:

Pass - thanks for finding this doc. It has the data points I was looking for on slides 7 and 8. However, I am not sure about the overall conclusion that US players in Zone 1 play much less than their European counterparts. Not sure how they collected the data points for US academy programs. They seem to grossly underestimate the playing time for US players.

On another thread about Zach Lloyd and specialization at an early age, I estimated roughly 6 hrs/week for a typical U9 academy player - that's 2 practices 2x1.5 hrs or 3 hrs, 1 skills at 1hr, 2 games (1 academy and 1 pickup game or rec game) at 2 hrs. If this is true, then US players actually play more than most their European counterparts with Ajax at 3.5 hr/wk at the low end and Bayern at 8hr/wk at the extreme high end (too bad there is no data points for Barca).

US academy programs have not been very successful in producing world class players. This can be objectively measured by how many US players play in the top leagues and the rankings of US national teams at different age groups. I don't believe that simply increasing playing time will do the trick. At my BB's age group, raw athleticism and pace are the dominating factors in 9v9 games. Perhaps small sided games can fix that or at least help to foster intelligent players. Coaching - I don't know how to fix that. Coaching certification programs?

On playing time comparison - I take it back. I missed Slide 16. The difference is 'free playing time' and individual practice time, not 'supervised' practices and games. Perhaps that's really the problem!

1halfback
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 2/14/2011, 7:02 pm

1halfback wrote:
1halfback wrote:

On playing time comparison - I take it back. I missed Slide 16. The difference is 'free playing time' and individual practice time, not 'supervised' practices and games. Perhaps that's really the problem!

Now you got it!
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by 1halfback 2/14/2011, 8:25 pm

finish1 wrote:
1halfback wrote:
1halfback wrote:

Now you got it!

Laughing yes. How about the girls? US girls, at least the women's teams at the national level, have been on top for a while. Can we attribute their success to more playing time than their opponents at early stages? Coaching cannot be a factor unless better coaches all want to teach girls?

1halfback
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 2/14/2011, 9:06 pm

The us womans team came along at a time they were able to physically dominate the game. That time appears to be ending and there are plenty of calls on the women's side for more skilled players. Until recently places like Brazil soccer was considered a boys sport. Marta wasn't encouraged to play by her parents and had to do it on her own. With the rise of the sport we are starting to see the rapid rise of other womens teams and the decline of the US. Same problem as the men's side, it was just better hidden by the lesser competition.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 2/15/2011, 8:22 am

That's true, Go. Soccer in the US has yet to be woven into the fabric of our sports culture. We are like tackle football in the 1930's when pro players often held other jobs to pay the rent. The day will come. Until then, why not build better soccer fans and pass on the passion for the game...
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/15/2011, 2:08 pm

yeah well Bob Bradley made $818.244 ($600.00 of salary) between march 2009 and april 2010...I don't think he needs to sell pancakes on sundays to pay his rent ! There is some freaking big money in the US soccer federation !!! WHAT DO THEY DO WITH IT THOUGH !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 2/15/2011, 2:51 pm

Right, and $100k is considered livin' large on MLS payscale. Take a look at the list. There a lot of $40k players out there struggling to make ends meet. Living in apartments driving old Hondas. We have a long way to go...but, we'll get there....

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/mls-salaries.php

finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 2/15/2011, 3:26 pm

finish1 wrote:Right, and $100k is considered livin' large on MLS payscale. Take a look at the list. There a lot of $40k players out there struggling to make ends meet. Living in apartments driving old Hondas. We have a long way to go...but, we'll get there....

http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sports/mls-salaries.php

Looks like a minor league salary listing with the exception of a few rookies making $7,000,000 a year. Given how short athletic careers are, the chance to do it for $20K per year for a while would be worth the experience - you can't get that opportunity again.

I hope that $800K included quite a bit of administrative/consulting work for something - although, it could be to prevent him from leaving.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/15/2011, 3:56 pm

How much do you think it would cost to pay an experienced Brazilian, Argentina, French, German(...) coach who started playing soccer at 3 in his backyard, practiced every week for 30 years and played professional soccer in his life ? Somebody who has been exposed to something else than US soccer ?

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 2/15/2011, 8:37 pm

gababa wrote:How much do you think it would cost to pay an experienced Brazilian, Argentina, French, German(...) coach who started playing soccer at 3 in his backyard, practiced every week for 30 years and played professional soccer in his life ? Somebody who has been exposed to something else than US soccer ?
ouch!
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down