Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Skills coach recommendation Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Skills coach recommendation

+9
anselansel
Ibystander
jack0fspeed
balin1971
txsnowman
carlinhosboneca
TxHunter
M Patient
JukeEm
13 posters

Go down

Skills coach recommendation Empty Skills coach recommendation

Post by JukeEm 2/10/2011, 1:21 pm

Disregard

Last edited by JukeEm on 2/2/2012, 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

JukeEm
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Skills coach recommendation Empty Re: Skills coach recommendation

Post by M Patient 2/10/2011, 2:44 pm

Ferdie Adoboe

great individual skills coach and not associated with a club so you can go to him any time of the year. Do his indoor camps. He'll make a big difference in you child.

http://ferdiesoccermagic.com/
M Patient
M Patient
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by TxHunter 2/10/2011, 2:46 pm

Sent you a PM

TxHunter
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by carlinhosboneca 2/10/2011, 4:46 pm

Chris Obara is the best one for your kid,his number is 214-724-3485,

carlinhosboneca
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2/10/2011, 6:22 pm

Ferdie! Definitely!

Back to top Go down

Post by txsnowman 2/10/2011, 6:36 pm

I would definitely recommend Chris Obara. He does fantastic work and his players are all great with the ball, he's been doing it for years and it is the AYSES way, he can teach your child skills and how to actually use those skills, which is often overlooked by many skills coaches. Definitely not knocking other skills coaches because I know there are several really good ones but Chris is fantastic and I have seen the work he does. PM if you have a question, I'd be more than happy to answer.
txsnowman
txsnowman
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by balin1971 2/11/2011, 9:12 am

I highly recommend to Jon Waters(FCDALLAS JUNIORS PREMIER 01 WATERS) but maybe his practices location is so far to you. PM i you are interested and I give you all the information.The practices will be in Addison.

balin1971
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jack0fspeed 2/11/2011, 11:53 am

JukeEm wrote:My son joined and played with a large club team over the winter season after playing rec since he was 5 yo. I noticed that my son's skills are a bit lacking compared to other kids on the team. I am looking for a good skills coach in the North Dallas/Collin County area for private lessons in hopes of improving. Any recommendations? Also, what should I be looking for in a "good skills coach?"

IMHO, paying for a personal skills instructor is a mistake. Most of the skills that you see are the results of your son's teammates doing a lot of individual (i.e. outside of practice) work. However you want to slice it, your son has to do the heavy lifting. At this age, your son should be learning how to practice by himself (as he is probably doing with his schoolwork). Any technical advice he needs can come from his coach.

Here's the program that my kids follow:

1. Dribbling: At this age, it's pretty much imperative that your kid does a lot of 1v1 work. The importance of a training partner can't be over-emphasized. If he has an older brother or sister, have them work together. If not, then try to pair up with another select level player that also wants to work on his dribbling. Have them work in a relatively small space and try to get from one side of the space to the other. Mostly use sudden hard cuts (left, right, backwards left, backwards right) to get by the defender. Keep the ball close at all times. Use both feet. Watch video of Lionel Messi to see how it's done. Do this as often as possible (every day if you can).

2. Touch and Receiving: Juggle every day. 50 to 100 touches on each of left foot only, right foot only, head only, and then everything (trying to use all of feet, thigh, chest, head). When juggling on left or right foot only keep the foot low and juggle the ball to just above the knee (this is to emulate dribbling). Try to get a personal best consecutive touches on one of the four in every session.

If you have a training partner, pass the ball back and forth varying speed, accuracy, and trajectory. Try to not only receive everything, but get it on the ground quickly and going in a desired direction. If you don't have a training partner, use a wall. Do this a couple of times per week.

3. Shooting: line a cone up with one of the goal posts and about 18 yards away . Have your son dribble toward the cone and make a move that goes to the outside (i.e. away from the goal) then shoot for the upper corner of the far post. Make sure he's getting his hips square to the target and landing on his shooting foot. Repeat from the other side of the goal and using the other kicking foot. Again a couple of times per week.

Try to keep Individual training sessions to a maximum of 40 minutes per day.

Between your son's team practice and a program like this ... and throw in a couple of week long camps for some fresh ideas ... and your son should be up to snuff in a matter of months.

jack0fspeed
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibystander 2/11/2011, 12:36 pm

Frank M. 404-259-5281. Trains at Sole Roll or Inwood, quite affordable. He trained two of mine and they really enjoyed it.
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by anselansel 2/11/2011, 12:37 pm

couldn't disagree more. my son skills have shot up tremendously w a skills coach. why? one word, reps. your skills coach will have him do a lot of reps that he simply does not get in practice or at home. the one on one training means no goofing off and a focus on what YOUR son needs, and a coach just for your son not 15 other kids. find a good coach and go consistently. you will be amazed, as long as your son works hard and WANTS TO GET BETTER, the improvement will come.
anselansel
anselansel
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JukeEm 2/11/2011, 12:54 pm

Disregard

Last edited by JukeEm on 2/2/2012, 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total

JukeEm
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dan-in-texas 2/11/2011, 1:25 pm

Sent a PM.
dan-in-texas
dan-in-texas
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by jack0fspeed 2/11/2011, 2:14 pm

anselansel wrote:couldn't disagree more. my son skills have shot up tremendously w a skills coach. why? one word, reps. your skills coach will have him do a lot of reps that he simply does not get in practice or at home. the one on one training means no goofing off and a focus on what YOUR son needs, and a coach just for your son not 15 other kids. find a good coach and go consistently. you will be amazed, as long as your son works hard and WANTS TO GET BETTER, the improvement will come.

I think we agree that reps are what's necessary to get better. Where we disagree is the necessity of personal skills coach to oversee those reps. This is not a matter of right and wrong, it's more philosophy.

Bottom line is that it's fairly straightforward what needs to be done. The only question is the most effective way to make it happen. Much like going to the gym, some people like the do-it-yourself approach and some like the personal trainer approach. But the bottom line is that if you want to get fit you have to do the same things. There's nothing magic that your personal trainer is going to say to you. The work just has to get done.

When I look around my sons' teams and other kids that I know, the more skilled players are the ones that put a lot of work into their game. Usually they are the ones with older brothers who play or who play with their friends a lot. To me that's the key. So if you go the personal skills coach route, you still have to play 1v1 (or small-sided games) and get tons of touches somehow.

As far as the "right" techniques, the best ways to learn are to watch the pros, talk to your coach, talk to other players who are technically good, and experiment until something works for you. In my mind, the sooner you kid owns that process the better.

jack0fspeed
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by balin1971 2/11/2011, 5:14 pm

JukeEm wrote:I see the point with additional touches that jackospeed recommends. My only issue there is that my son may be using incorrect techniques. I don't want him to develop bad habits by practicing those wrong techniques over and over.
The only coach that I can not find info on is Jon Waters. Is there a bio on him? Really not much out there on him. There is plenty on Fergie and Chris Obara.
Jon Waters has a great reputation. I do not have a bio from him but mi boy has been playing with him almost for 3 years and his skills are improving a lot. My son played in Studio Brasil FC with Jon. You can ask and everybody that saw SBFC playing know the quality of game they used to show and the great skills and technique.

balin1971
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by staywide 2/11/2011, 10:39 pm

Agree, Jon Waters has a good approach to help kids become comfortable and confident with the ball.

staywide
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by staywide 2/11/2011, 10:57 pm

[quote="jack0fspeed"]
JukeEm wrote:My son joined and played with a large club team over the winter season after playing rec since he was 5 yo. I noticed that my son's skills are a bit lacking compared to other kids on the team. I am looking for a good skills coach in the North Dallas/Collin County area for private lessons in hopes of improving. Any recommendations? Also, what should I be looking for in a "good skills coach?"

IMHO, paying for a personal skills instructor is a mistake. Most of the skills that you see are the results of your son's teammates doing a lot of individual (i.e. outside of practice) work. However you want to slice it, your son has to do the heavy lifting. At this age, your son should be learning how to practice by himself (as he is probably doing with his schoolwork). Any technical advice he needs can come from his coach.

Here's the program that my kids follow:

1. Dribbling: At this age, it's pretty much imperative that your kid does a lot of 1v1 work. The importance of a training partner can't be over-emphasized. If he has an older brother or sister, have them work together. If not, then try to pair up with another select level player that also wants to work on his dribbling. Have them work in a relatively small space and try to get from one side of the space to the other. Mostly use sudden hard cuts (left, right, backwards left, backwards right) to get by the defender. Keep the ball close at all times. Use both feet. Watch video of Lionel Messi to see how it's done. Do this as often as possible (every day if you can).

2. Touch and Receiving: Juggle every day. 50 to 100 touches on each of left foot only, right foot only, head only, and then everything (trying to use all of feet, thigh, chest, head). When juggling on left or right foot only keep the foot low and juggle the ball to just above the knee (this is to emulate dribbling). Try to get a personal best consecutive touches on one of the four in every session.

If you have a training partner, pass the ball back and forth varying speed, accuracy, and trajectory. Try to not only receive everything, but get it on the ground quickly and going in a desired direction. If you don't have a training partner, use a wall. Do this a couple of times per week.

3. Shooting: line a cone up with one of the goal posts and about 18 yards away . Have your son dribble toward the cone and make a move that goes to the outside (i.e. away from the goal) then shoot for the upper corner of the far post. Make sure he's getting his hips square to the target and landing on his shooting foot. Repeat from the other side of the goal and using the other kicking foot. Again a couple of times per week.

Try to keep Individual training sessions to a maximum of 40 minutes per day.

Between your son's team practice and a program like this ... and throw in a couple of week long camps for some fresh ideas ... and your son should be up to snuff in a matter of months.[/quote

The initial post said the boy was 5yrs old....MAKE SURE HE HAS FUN playing the game! There is NO glory in being the best 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 yr old player. That is 10 yrs of playing the game...think about the level of passion you want him to have at 16, 17,18, etc and align his training appropriately (based on HIS personality). IMO, when your boy is at home, let him be a kid. If he asks you to kick the ball with him...go enjoy that quality time and HAVE FUN. Find the right coach that is focused on developing skills and everything else will fall into place for him.

staywide
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by OB1 2/12/2011, 3:07 am

I think Chris Obara is the best skills coach. He encourages skills and also encourages the kids to use it in the game and gives them the freedom and creativity to become a good player. A coach has to encourage creativity in order for true skills to be developed in game situations. Chris has done wonders for my kid and also he will give extra time developing players without even charging. This is true. He truly loves the game of Soccer and is not in it for the money. If he sees that you are committed to his team he will spend litterally hours training your kid with no request for money. Trust me if you would bring out your kids to one of his training sessions you would see the difference.

OB1
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by pgarza13 2/20/2011, 8:44 am

Recommend Chris Obara 214 724-3485 or simbafc@tx.rr.com (He has 94' Boys, 98' Boys in North Dallas and 01' Boys and 02' Boys in Keller Area).
pgarza13
pgarza13
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by JukeEm 2/25/2011, 10:18 am

Disregard

JukeEm
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down