Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

DA v. Classic League? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

DA v. Classic League?

+15
tpitty
SnookumsConCarne
CCM
Number13
hanallalone
go99
davito
eredivisie
Laroja_2012
earbucket
soccerdadrandy
PremierLeagueFan
Offpitch
Yak Attack
just2smile
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

DA v. Classic League? Empty DA v. Classic League?

Post by Guest 6/23/2011, 10:20 am

My kid is not there yet, but had a question regarding DA v. Classic League. Assuming your kid is one of the best players, is it more beneficial for him to play DA and that goes down to PA, in order to have a better chance to advance in soccer past age 18? Is it a no-brainer that the best players are in PA and DA and the Classic league top players are shy of the ability of the DA players?

Not trying to start a huge fight, I know there are great players in Classic League, but just wanted to know if there is a consensus that if your kid plans to play after age 18, his best chances will be if he is on DA or PA team.

Back to top Go down

DA v. Classic League? Empty Re: DA v. Classic League?

Post by just2smile 6/23/2011, 3:39 pm

Post n°42
Re: NEXT SEASON PREVIEW U-16

search for the above listed post under 96 boys by soccergrinder. it contains good answers to the questions you have asked.

just2smile
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Yak Attack 6/28/2011, 10:54 pm

just2smile wrote:Post n°42
Re: NEXT SEASON PREVIEW U-16

search for the above listed post under 96 boys by soccergrinder. it contains good answers to the questions you have asked.

Here is what Grinder wrote:

The real bottom line is this. Comparing a CL team to and Academy team is like compairing apples to oranges. They are different and their make-up is different because of the difference between school year and calendar year. So any comparison is really moot. It's just best to not think of the teams in those terms.

Having been a part of Academy for the last two years I would approach it like this.

A: There are awesome players in the Academy.

B: The Academy teams on an average are a step up from non Academy teams from the same local but not necessarily from one local to another. There are always exceptions to every formula.

C: There are awesome players on non Academy teams.

D: There are non Academy teams that could beat Academy teams.

E: All Academy teams are not created equal. Some locals, i.e. North Texas may produce higher caliber Academy teams than say an Academy team from Hawaii (for example only). Also, the teams player make-up are different from team to team. For example FC Dallas U17/U18 is approxametley 90% Seniors, 5% Juniors, 5% College Level(i.e. graduated last year) (based on current roster and top starting times), Solar is 90% Juniors, 10% Seniors. This is an example of this years roster and is not used here for any other purpose than to illustrate the point that when you have dual years on a roster there can be large fluctuations from year to year on the makeup of the age of a team.

F: Academy rosters on an average have more depth than a non Academy teams. In other words, both Academy and non Academy have top players at the top of their roster, as you go deep into the roster the Academy teams may loose a little quality but not much. Non Academy teams drop considerably from the top of the roster to the bottom of the roster) discalimer: there are always exceptions to the rule.

G: Money: There is a misconception about the cost of Academy vs Non Academy. Academy is slightley higher but not greatly. For example non Academy U17 teams will travel to showcase tournaments for exposure to College coaches. Typical might be Dallas Cup, Disney Cup, Score on the Shore and Surf Cup. Academy teams might do Dallas Cup, Disney Cup, USSF Fall Showcase, USSF Spring Showcase. Each do 4 showcases. A wash on expenses.

Non Academy play in Premier League. A regional league with home and away games in South Texas (Austin, Houston) and Oklahoma (Edmond, Tulsa). Academy teams play in a regional league and do home and away games with South Texas only (Austin, San Antonio and Houston). Academy is slightley higher for regional expenses because they play fall and spring. Premier League is only fall.

Academy also has one non regional league trip. We have gone one year to Ohio, this year we went to Michigan. This is where Academy is more expensive.

Non Academy teams pay between $2000 - $3000 fee to club. Academy plays for free. Here is where Academy is cheaper.

Also Academy does not pay an entry fee to the USSF Showcase tournaments. So Academy is $1000 - $2000 cheaper for tournament fees than non Academy teams.

Uniforms: non Academy teams allocate around $300 for uniforms. Academy teams uniforms are free. Solar's Uniforms this year were about $1000 per player (provided by Chelsea and Adidas), cost free to the player.

This structure I have laid out fits both Texans and Solar (approximatley). Of course FC Dallas everything is free. And Andromeda the players/families pay for everything.

H: Coaching: Its the same for non Academy and Academy teams. What I mean is Hassan coaches the same whether he is coaching his 97's or the Academy. His coaching style does not change. He is just as pleasant to his 97's as he is to his Academy players. So Academy coaching is not superior to non Academy coaching because you have the same coaches. FC Dallas is a little different because they can use more coaches because they have more money. Does more money = better coaching. Answer: no, yes, maybe, sometimes, not necessarily

I: Exposure: Does Academy teams get more exposure to colleges and college coaches than non academy teams, Answer: Absolutley. Academy from last year Dallas Cup: 25-40 coaches, Disney Cup 50-75 coaches, USSF Fall Showcase 200 - 250 coaches (we had 125 at one game), USSF Spring Showcase 200 - 250.

J: Can you get a scholaship to play in college if you aren't on an Academy team. Absolutley. Your coach is your best agent. There are many local coaches who have great repore and connections with many colleges and can help you considerably when trying to get a college scholarship.

K: What are my chances of getting a college scholarship if I am not on an Academy team. Low, but possible

L: What are my chances of getting a college scholarship if I am on an Academy team. Pretty good.

M: You don't choose the college, the college chooses you. The moons have to align. Do they have an openning for your position. Do they have any athletic scholarship money the year you graduate. Is ther Academic money. Probably if you have awesome grades and a high SAT or ACT. Bad grades and you are out.

N: Can I get a full ride on an Athletic scholarship. You are more likely to be hit by lightning. When you hear of someone getting a full ride athletic scholarship that person is most likely lying. Full ride scholarships are rare, and most of them are part academic and athletic and possibly some needs based. A partial scholaship is more likely to attain.

WOW, thats a lot of info. Not trying to start an argument but I know it is inevitable on a forum. Don't have time to do a spell check. So shoot me for mispelled words. This is rambling from a parent/manager/former commissioner/former board member. Take it for what it is.

I love North Texas soccer. I love the diversity of choices the kids and parents have. There is a lot of good that goes on. There is a lot of bad that goes on. Parents should shut up and let the kids play and the coaches coach (me included). The referees are fine when we win and they are horrible when we loose. Get over it. Also, get over it when a ref calls the wrong side on a throw in. It's a throw in people, it will not change the outcomne of the game. Geez. I only have one wish. That is that one day North Texas focuses on the development of some of our awesome talent insteed of focusing on winning.
Yak Attack
Yak Attack
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Offpitch 2/20/2016, 5:25 pm

Given the limited substitution/re-entry rules and large rosters, How does a player who is not in the top 15 players of a DA team roster get any game experience or exposure to college scouts?

Offpitch
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan 2/21/2016, 10:00 am

Academy is dfferent even between academy clubs and much has changed since this earlier post. Age pure will make every team similar to academy in terms of age and the competition provided by SRPL, SCPL, and TEPAL will allow more teams to participate in additional levels of meaningful competition outside of CL.

When you practice more frequently with stronger players and play in more challenging games you are bound to improve and develop at a higher level so I would say that pre academy is a great path and can lead to development academy for players who make the most of it.

As other additionally competitive leagues spring up it's possible that they may be even more competitive because they don't have the game and team restrictions that the development academy imposes and hopefully someday we will have a champions league that will enable the top teams in all leagues to play each other.
PremierLeagueFan
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 2/21/2016, 11:15 am

Offpitch wrote:Given the limited substitution/re-entry rules and large rosters, How does a player who is not in the top 15 players of a DA team roster get any game experience or exposure to college scouts?

they don't
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 2/21/2016, 11:23 am

PremierLeagueFan wrote:Academy is dfferent even between academy clubs and much has changed since this earlier post. Age pure will make every team similar to academy in terms of age and the competition provided by SRPL, SCPL, and TEPAL will allow more teams to participate in additional levels of meaningful competition outside of CL.

When you practice more frequently with stronger players and play in more challenging games you are bound to improve and develop at a higher level so I would say that pre academy is a great path and can lead to development academy for players who make the most of it.

As other additionally competitive leagues spring up it's possible that they may be even more competitive because they don't have the game and team restrictions that the development academy imposes and hopefully someday we will have a champions league that will enable the top teams in all leagues to play each other.

your comments bring some clarity for me on the advantage of age pure mandate. in the past because a PA or DA team is age pure, when playing a good club team with many boys born in the previous year. the older team has an advantage. it is true that if all of the better players were in PA or DA that age difference advantage would be diminished to a large degree. so my point is....

PARENTS AND PLAYERS WILL LIKELY HAVE A NEW FOUND APPRECIATION FOR THE LEVEL OF ACADEMY PLAY. THIS WILL DRAW MANT MORE TOP PLAYERS FROM CLASSIC LEAGUES AROUND THE COUNTRY. THEIR WILL A VERY APPARENT ADVANTAGE TO THE ACADEMY FOR TOP PLAYERS.
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by earbucket 2/21/2016, 12:05 pm

As of next year DA will have expanded their scope, by having teams at U12 and U13 as well as U14, U16 and U18.  And with Classic league now being birth year, there will be greater temptation for players to move to DA teams.  There will be a talent drain.

TEPAL is open only to DA clubs and with U13s becoming DA, there may be some doubts of having an U15 league, but since only a few of these players will make an U16 DA roster, I'm sure these teams won't go away. The parent organization is US Club Soccer.

SRPL is open to top 4 finishers in classic league from the prior year.  The parent organization is US Youth Soccer.  

SCPL is open to some clubs who are not DA clubs.  The parent organization is US Club Soccer.  

DA's parent is USSF.  USSF is the parent of US Club Soccer and US Youth Soccer.  USSF is the organization that chooses national team players.   IMO if the player has aspirations for national team selection, then DA is the way to go.  If the player has aspirations for playing at a major college then DA is the way to go.

Considering the opportunities that DA offers, I expect to see outstanding players drift to those clubs.  

Next year DA:
U12: 04s and 05s
U13: 03s
U14: 02s

Next year CL:
U11: 06s
U12: 05s
U13: 04s
U14: 03s
U15: 02s

In addition, I would imagine that local DA U13s will automatically make Dallas Cup just as the U14s, U16s and U18s.  U15's PA will compete in Dallas Cup qualifying tournaments with their birth year classic league brethren for the first time.  Considering the misalignment of age groups between classic and DA, would the U12 DA's would qualify for DC as an U13 team?  All tournaments place teams based on the oldest players, so an U12 DA v. an U13 CL team could face each other.

earbucket
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 2/21/2016, 12:12 pm

earbucket wrote:As of next year DA will have expanded their scope, by having teams at U12 and U13 as well as U14, U16 and U18.  And with Classic league now being birth year, there will be greater temptation for players to move to DA teams.  There will be a talent drain.

TEPAL is open only to DA clubs and with U13s becoming DA, there may be some doubts of having an U15 league, but since only a few of these players will make an U16 DA roster, I'm sure these teams won't go away. The parent organization is US Club Soccer.

SRPL is open to top 4 finishers in classic league from the prior year.  The parent organization is US Youth Soccer.  

SCPL is open to some clubs who are not DA clubs.  The parent organization is US Club Soccer.  

DA's parent is USSF.  USSF is the parent of US Club Soccer and US Youth Soccer.  USSF is the organization that chooses national team players.   IMO if the player has aspirations for national team selection, then DA is the way to go.  If the player has aspirations for playing at a major college then DA is the way to go.

Considering the opportunities that DA offers, I expect to see outstanding players drift to those clubs.  

Next year DA:
U12: 04s and 05s
U13: 03s
U14: 02s

Next year CL:
U11: 06s
U12: 05s
U13: 04s
U14: 03s
U15: 02s

In addition, I would imagine that local DA U13s will automatically make Dallas Cup just as the U14s, U16s and U18s.  U15's PA will compete in Dallas Cup qualifying tournaments with their birth year classic league brethren for the first time.  Considering the misalignment of age groups between classic and DA, would the U12 DA's would qualify for DC as an U13 team?  All tournaments place teams based on the oldest players, so an U12 DA v. an U13 CL team could face each other.

The boys leaving U14 DA will go to the TEPAL U15 team as to not lose favor with club or coaches in preparation for U16 DA THE FOLLOWING year. Some will play both PA and DA as a quote "developmental player" limited to 6 DA appearances during the season.
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Offpitch 2/21/2016, 1:50 pm

soccerdadrandy wrote:
Offpitch wrote:Given the limited substitution/re-entry rules and large rosters, How does a player who is not in the top 15 players of a DA team roster get any game experience or exposure to college scouts?

they don't

So there is no reserve league or other structure to give the back-half of the roster any playing time? I ask because I'm a parent of a soccer playing daughter and the USSF has just decided to "bless" us with a Girls DA. To me, the structure makes no sense for the majority of female players whose primary goal is to play college soccer. I really don't understand how combined age groups, huge rosters and limited playing opportunities aids player development or as a pathway to college. Also, the girls side won't have the benefit of MLS clubs with money to subsidize player costs.

Offpitch
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 2/21/2016, 2:15 pm

Offpitch wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:

they don't

So there is no reserve league or other structure to give the back-half of the roster any playing time?  I ask because I'm a parent of a soccer playing daughter and the USSF has just decided to "bless" us with a Girls DA.  To me, the structure makes no sense for the majority of female players whose primary goal is to play college soccer.  I really don't understand how combined age groups, huge rosters and limited playing opportunities aids player development or as a pathway to college.  Also, the girls side won't have the benefit of MLS clubs with money to subsidize player costs.

Define combine age groups lol
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Offpitch 2/21/2016, 4:02 pm

soccerdadrandy wrote:
Offpitch wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:

they don't

So there is no reserve league or other structure to give the back-half of the roster any playing time?  I ask because I'm a parent of a soccer playing daughter and the USSF has just decided to "bless" us with a Girls DA.  To me, the structure makes no sense for the majority of female players whose primary goal is to play college soccer.  I really don't understand how combined age groups, huge rosters and limited playing opportunities aids player development or as a pathway to college.  Also, the girls side won't have the benefit of MLS clubs with money to subsidize player costs.

U13/18 - U15/16 - U17/18

-combining 2 age groups with rosters ranging from 32-48 players on each team. On the girls side, there are ECNL teams for each age group (U14 through U18) and most rosters are in the low 20's (30 is the maximum). Also, players at the end of the bench can dual roster on teams playing in the girls classic league. They can also play HS soccer. This gives players the opportunity to train with the top players in their club and still get playing time.

Offpitch
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 2/21/2016, 4:07 pm

Offpitch wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:
Offpitch wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:

they don't

U13/18 - U15/16 - U17/18

-combining 2 age groups with rosters ranging from 32-48 players on each team. On the girls side, there are ECNL teams for each age group (U14 through U18) and most rosters are in the low 20's (30 is the maximum).  Also, players at the end of the bench can dual roster on teams playing in the girls classic league.  They can also play HS soccer.  This gives players the opportunity to train with the top players in their club and still get playing time.

I don't know any academy PA or DA with that many. In fact USSF will only allow 26 in the pool. But most are 18-22. My son is April birthdate so in club he was "mixed" with some 99 boys. In da he is mixed with 01 club players born late year. Same 12 month just changing the order lol
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Offpitch 2/21/2016, 4:26 pm

soccerdadrandy wrote:
Offpitch wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:
Offpitch wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:

they don't

U13/18 - U15/16 - U17/18

-combining 2 age groups with rosters ranging from 32-48 players on each team. On the girls side, there are ECNL teams for each age group (U14 through U18) and most rosters are in the low 20's (30 is the maximum).  Also, players at the end of the bench can dual roster on teams playing in the girls classic league.  They can also play HS soccer.  This gives players the opportunity to train with the top players in their club and still get playing time.

I don't know any academy PA or DA with that many. In fact USSF will only allow 26 in the pool. But most are 18-22. My son is April birthdate so in club he was "mixed" with some 99 boys. In da he is mixed with 01 club players born late year. Same 12 month just changing the order lol

Is he in the U13/14 pool? According to the USSF website for boys DA, the minimum roster size for the u15/16 and above is 32 and the max is 48.

Offpitch
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by earbucket 2/21/2016, 6:41 pm

Offpitch wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:
Offpitch wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:
Offpitch wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:

they don't

U13/18 - U15/16 - U17/18

Is he in the U13/14 pool?  According to the USSF website for boys DA, the minimum roster size for the u15/16 and above is 32 and the max is 48.

32 and 46 is combined amount for two teams: U16 and U18.

earbucket
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Laroja_2012 2/22/2016, 10:54 am

earbucket wrote:
32 and 46 is combined amount for two teams: U16 and U18.

Between 16 to 23 per team is not bad at all. However, you have to add the development players.

Laroja_2012
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by eredivisie 2/22/2016, 10:55 am

Offpitch wrote:
soccerdadrandy wrote:

they don't

Unless things have changed since my BB played, the DA has a 25% minimum start rule.  Every full time player has to start at least 25% of the season's games.  Most kids that don't play are the designated players that are dual rostered.  

The kids at the bare minimum usually quit the team and drop to a D1 Classic League team - which you can do at anytime during the season with any team outside the DA.

eredivisie
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by davito 2/22/2016, 11:56 pm

I see a lot of discussion on the girls forum about DA league competing with the ECNL league. In don't know much about ECNL but it is wrong to think of DA in terms of a league. The focus is the training, 5 or 6 times a week to develop the very best players.

The aim of DA for girls will be to produce the best players for the national team and the professional league (if it can get going well). The fringe benefit will be lots of good DA players who get college scholarships.

My understanding is that ECNL can be very expensive. DA for boys is free at FCD (inc the travel) and USSF wants to go that way with the girls DA too. They want to remove any obstacles to talented players. It will likely take time to make completely free though.

In terms of roster sizes the clubs use friendly games and dual rostering to help those further down the roster get game time. Not perfect and varies by club.

DA is only for the most serious and committed players. it requires full commitment because of the amount of days spent practicing plus occasional out of town games. Other sports or High School soccer are not practical to combine with DA.
davito
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by earbucket 2/23/2016, 9:55 am

It will be interesting to see how the girls integrate DA. ECNL is a heightened regional/national league that went by Aug-Jul dob's and allowed girls to play HS. There already is the fringe benefit of college scholarships as the opportunities are much wider on the girls side due to Title IX. I think most of ECNL class 2018 has already committed to a college and the only ones who haven't are taking their time..

There are few women professional teams and they do not have deep pockets to subsidize development academy teams. So, will the MLS clubs subsidize the cost of the travel and participation for the girls? And do non-MLS clubs either get sponsors or put it on the backs of the LH teams?

Do clubs like Sting and D'Feeters get DA status? If so, any ramifications for boys, since DFW would have 5 DA clubs in area for the girls, but just 3 for the boys?

So, how many girls choose DA and not play HS? Heck, there already is a demand for them at the college level in the current system, why would they make that sacrifice?

I doubt USSF would be so short sighted to only choose national team players from DA.

Unlike the boys, I don't see why the girls would join DA except for club pressure trying to meet USSF demand.

earbucket
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by davito 2/23/2016, 11:24 am

USSF will take the best players for national team wherever they come from. On the boys side DA has become the de-facto source of youth national team players. And boys are moving across the country to join DA academies if they don't have one nearby. DA for girls will likely follow the same trajectory.

So long as USSF gets the clubs signed up, DA for the girls will gradually attract most of the top talent because parents and players will recognize it as the top program for development and exposure. Girls in DA will be on the clearest path to USWNT, Pro or top colleges.

Anything USSF do to subsidize it will only increase the attractiveness for players. Clubs can start by eliminating training costs. It will be worth it to the club to have the DA status. Heck USSF may even require free training for clubs to get awarded girls DA club status.

USSF doesn't care about the girls who don't want to sacrifice HS soccer. USSF only wants the most ambitious and committed players as they are the most likely to have the determination to be in the handful of stars that make it through DA to the USWNT.

Who knows how many clubs will get DA status in DFW. USSF has shown themselves to be pretty ruthless in keeping it exclusive. They took it away from Andromeda so don't assume 5 clubs will get it here.

Can someone tell me how many times a week ECNL teams practice together as a team? i.e. non Lake Highlands team practices.
davito
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by earbucket 2/23/2016, 12:29 pm

davito wrote:Girls in DA will be on the clearest path to USWNT, Pro or top colleges.

USSF doesn't care about the girls who don't want to sacrifice HS soccer. USSF only wants the most ambitious and committed players as they are the most likely to have the determination to be in the handful of stars that make it through DA to the USWNT.

Ahh, so college coaches who have limited budgets and limited time will soon focus on DA at the expense of ECNL.  

I am confused by this article in that birth year will only be applicable to Girls DA; I thought it was comprehensive for all leagues (girls and boys). I bolded the interesting comments that should apply to boys DA. Small clubs?

"key difference between the GDA and the ECNL is that while the ECNL is age pure and requires clubs to field five teams, GDA teams will field three combined age group teams.

“The use of combined age groups will require clubs to form teams with a balanced roster of players from two distinct birth years,” reads the U.S. Soccer statement.

Heinrichs calls it a way “to get players playing up more naturally.”

“If I had a list of player development initiatives that help players grow, one of the top, top, top things on that list is playing up,” she said.

In the age-pure setup, clubs may resist moving players up because it decreases their changes of winning trophies. In the DA setup, for example, a team’s star player one year will be among the younger players every two years. Fewer teams can also mean fewer roster-fillers -- players who might not be suited for the elite level but are needed to round out the squad.

Moreover, by having to field only three teams, Heinrichs believes the GDA will be more inclusive to smaller clubs."

Girls Development Academy promises to be less expensive for players than ECNL . http://www.socceramerica.com/article/67785/girls-development-academy-to-be-less-expensive-for.html

earbucket
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by davito 2/23/2016, 2:18 pm

The 2 year combined age groups facilitating playing up is a nice idea but the reality is that it has not worked as implemented by USSF. The clubs did not buy into the concept and that is why we have PA at U13 and U15.

USSF envisioned 16 - 23 player rosters where half of the players are from the older year and half are from the younger year. But the tendency would be to pick the older half for competitive games. So the younger half would not have as many game opportunities.

So nice principle but goofy in reality up to U16. Kids still want to play a reasonable number of competitive games. Hence PA keeps everyone happy and clubs can play up younger players as and when they want to for experience.
davito
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 2/23/2016, 3:17 pm

Not exactly. The reason for the dual age group is so one year the players is learning and benefitting from playing against older stronger kids. The next year he is the older stronger kid. And no many players in the DA have never played in the pre academy. In fact last year I noticed that many of the U16 teams had a number of 15 yr olds on the squad and what the pre academy had was what was left over. Especially outside of NTX. Also the DA is not for what kids "want". The DA is like making kids eat their vegetables. It is a developmental league with (in theory) decisions made based on what is best for the soccer, not a kid (or parents) desires. The PA still exist because it's a different league that is making money. Clubs get the benefit of "parking" players in the PA instead of following the DA guidelines. One of the things the USSF should do is strengthen its mandates and have its clubs pull out of pre academy.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by davito 2/23/2016, 3:45 pm

I think we both agree the intent is to have players playing up with stronger older players every other year. But the reality is that is not happening much.

I haven't studied rosters widely but what I have seen looks like only a few U15s play up with U16 while most play of the U15s play PA.

I get that DA is not supposed to be about what kids "want" but a system that makes kids miserable is unlikely to succeed in it's mission.

How is PA making money for the DA clubs? And what is the benefit to clubs of "parking" players in PA?
davito
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 2/23/2016, 4:23 pm

go99 wrote:Not exactly.  The reason for the dual age group is so one year the players is learning and benefitting from playing against older stronger kids.  The next year he is the older stronger kid.  And no many players in the DA have never played in the pre academy.  In fact last year I noticed that many of the U16 teams had a number of 15 yr olds on the squad and what the pre academy had was what was left over.  Especially outside of NTX.  Also the DA is not for what kids "want".  The DA is like making kids eat their vegetables.  It is a developmental league with (in theory) decisions made based on what is best for the soccer, not a kid (or parents) desires.  The PA still exist because it's a different league that is making money. Clubs get the benefit of "parking" players in the PA instead of following the DA guidelines.  One of the things the USSF should do is strengthen its mandates and have its clubs pull out of pre academy.
Pre academy in the TEPAL division is mandated by US Soccer and exclusive to USSF DA clubs and coaches.
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next