Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

02 Boys playing on multiple teams Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

02 Boys playing on multiple teams

+8
The German
my2cents
slampg
rustynail11
SailorMoon
getafe01
WRG
albundy412
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

02 Boys playing on multiple teams Empty 02 Boys playing on multiple teams

Post by albundy412 8/8/2011, 9:33 am

Just wondered what people out there thought of an 02 boy playing on multiple teams. I hear parents say that their boy is playing on such-and-such and also such-and-such a club. Opinions on whether this is good or bad?

albundy412
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

02 Boys playing on multiple teams Empty Re: 02 Boys playing on multiple teams

Post by WRG 8/8/2011, 10:00 am

If you can pull it off without the coach of either team getting upset about it, then I see no problem with it. These kids are getting closer to select, so the coaches might not be happy if they think a kid is not committed to their team. However, you need to do what is best for your son, so if he has the energy and the games do not conflict, I would say go ahead. Checking out other teams and coaches will help you know if your son is in the right place.

WRG
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by getafe01 8/8/2011, 10:49 am

I have to admit that I used to be critical of parents trekking their children and playing on multiple teams. I read multiple posts from members in support of such actions arguing that families could assess teams and coaches for the right fit and that teams show NO loyalty. I would shake my head. I would be critical of the "too involved" parent. I would be critical of the children that would show up at our training sessions and question how they could just get a look at one of the major club's top team. After going through this past spring/summer and qualifying for D1, I have changed my opinion. I admit it. I was wrong. If parents think that the clubs or the coaches will show loyalty to your family, you continue to live in a fantasy world. I understand that my statement is a broad generalization and that not all coaches act in a similar fashion, but those individuals are a rarity. Select soccer is a business. We are all just fresh meat. Once you understand such, you can decide how you want to integrate in. The system will not change. It does not have to. We can argue those merits all day long. The fact is that you and your child have to decide how you want to play the game to be happy with the final results. Check out as many clubs or teams that you think you need to. Do not listen to others that you should stay and show loyalty before you have to. They certainly will not. Enjoy this year. Have fun. Remember that soccer does not define your son, he plays because he enjoys it. Keep it that way!
getafe01
getafe01
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SailorMoon 8/8/2011, 10:53 am

I can't do 2 academy teams but my son does play on a rec and academy team. At our team meeting though, the coaches said that it was in the North Texas rules (or some rules) that an 02 can play in only 1 academy game per week. I hadn't head that before. Just wondering if this is really true. Bueller? Anyone??? Smile

SailorMoon
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by rustynail11 8/8/2011, 10:54 am

One way to do it is to find one team that plays SDL with Saturday games and another that plays in PAL, CAL or one of the other academy leagues with games on Sunday.

That way you eliminate game conflicts.

rustynail11
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rustynail11 8/8/2011, 10:56 am

SailorMoon wrote:I can't do 2 academy teams but my son does play on a rec and academy team. At our team meeting though, the coaches said that it was in the North Texas rules (or some rules) that an 02 can play in only 1 academy game per week. I hadn't head that before. Just wondering if this is really true. Bueller? Anyone??? Smile

That is true, a kid can only play 1 academy game a week but they can practice with as many as they want. That is another reason why I suggest finding a team that plays in SDL and 1 that plays in academy. SDL doesn't play in to the 1 game a week rule.

rustynail11
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by slampg 8/8/2011, 11:35 am

From experience (have a 01 BB), we have played on multiple teams during one season for several seasons AND we have had several boys play on our team that were also playing for another academy teams. While logistically it can be difficult (SDL and a Sunday game does help), it gives both you and your BB a much bigger perspective on quality of coaching, team dynamic, etc. I would recommend it to anyone whose boy asks to do it.

PS I would also look for as many guest playing opportunities as possible during tournaments. Come contract signing time next year, it is ALWAYS prudent to have an option 2 (and 3) in your back pocket just in case...
slampg
slampg
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 8/8/2011, 12:20 pm

rustynail11 wrote:
SailorMoon wrote:I can't do 2 academy teams but my son does play on a rec and academy team. At our team meeting though, the coaches said that it was in the North Texas rules (or some rules) that an 02 can play in only 1 academy game per week. I hadn't head that before. Just wondering if this is really true. Bueller? Anyone??? Smile

That is true, a kid can only play 1 academy game a week but they can practice with as many as they want. That is another reason why I suggest finding a team that plays in SDL and 1 that plays in academy. SDL doesn't play in to the 1 game a week rule.

Yes that way you can circumvent the NTSSA rules that are in place to prevent having pure competitive leagues for 9 year olds and younger, to prevent too much organized practices and games for their developing bodies and to stress development over winning and burnout. Its a long road ahead, at nine years old do the 2 practices and 2 games a week. Smile

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

02 Boys playing on multiple teams Empty Options

Post by albundy412 8/8/2011, 3:59 pm

I get the having "options" at signing time. I feel like I did my research for my son, found the best fit for him in soccer, and if anything I would put him in a different sport like basketball or baseball if I were to have him on a different team. I don't understand the parents who have their boy on two select soccer teams with two practices each and two games each week with a skills session thrown in here and there. Then we wonder why we burn our kids out. Does that make sense?

albundy412
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by The German 8/8/2011, 4:04 pm

albundy412 wrote:I get the having "options" at signing time. I feel like I did my research for my son, found the best fit for him in soccer, and if anything I would put him in a different sport like basketball or baseball if I were to have him on a different team. I don't understand the parents who have their boy on two select soccer teams with two practices each and two games each week with a skills session thrown in here and there. Then we wonder why we burn our kids out. Does that make sense?
You can't have your bb on two SELECT soccer teams.
The German
The German
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

02 Boys playing on multiple teams Empty Two academy soccer teams

Post by albundy412 8/8/2011, 4:12 pm

I may have misspoke. Two academy teams(not select). One in SDL and another UAL.

albundy412
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by WRG 8/8/2011, 4:19 pm

albundy412 wrote:I get the having "options" at signing time. I feel like I did my research for my son, found the best fit for him in soccer, and if anything I would put him in a different sport like basketball or baseball if I were to have him on a different team. I don't understand the parents who have their boy on two select soccer teams with two practices each and two games each week with a skills session thrown in here and there. Then we wonder why we burn our kids out. Does that make sense?

I think it is up to each parent to read his kid. If, like some of the kids I know, the boy wants to play that much, he is in good health and enjoys it, I see no problem with two teams. I would limit him to one practice a week with each team and then two games on the weekends. I find it hard to believe a healthy 10 year old boy cannot practice for a total of 4 hours a week and play two games.

When my kids are not at an organized practice, they are out in the neighborhood running around, riding bikes, playing in the ditch. I think they can handle it physically. As to whether or not they can handle that much soccer, each parent will have to read his kid.

I am willing to bet the majority of kids in the other coutnries america longs to be like in terms of soccer, play more than 4 hours a week at practice and two games on a weekend.

WRG
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 8/8/2011, 5:06 pm

WRG wrote:

I think it is up to each parent to read his kid. If, like some of the kids I know, the boy wants to play that much, he is in good health and enjoys it, I see no problem with two teams. I would limit him to one practice a week with each team and then two games on the weekends. I find it hard to believe a healthy 10 year old boy cannot practice for a total of 4 hours a week and play two games.

When my kids are not at an organized practice, they are out in the neighborhood running around, riding bikes, playing in the ditch. I think they can handle it physically. As to whether or not they can handle that much soccer, each parent will have to read his kid.

I am willing to bet the majority of kids in the other coutnries america longs to be like in terms of soccer, play more than 4 hours a week at practice and two games on a weekend.

Have to agree with all of it. Kids can handle more than the 2 and 2 but the difference is the structure. They not only can handle more than that they probably need more than that. It should be running around being a kid playing what ever their heart desires how ever they want. It should not be running around practices or games everyday doing it the way coach wants, mom or dad want, or the way he thinks he should because of them. They want to play soccer everyday fine. The other three days let them do it on their own with their friends; no drills, instructions, etc.just pure fun.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by slampg 8/8/2011, 5:12 pm

my2cents wrote:
WRG wrote:

Have to agree with all of it. Kids can handle more than the 2 and 2 but the difference is the structure. They not only can handle more than that they probably need more than that. It should be running around being a kid playing what ever their heart desires how ever they want. It should not be running around practices or games everyday doing it the way coach wants, mom or dad want, or the way he thinks he should because of them. They want to play soccer everyday fine. The other three days let them do it on their own with their friends; no drills, instructions, etc.just pure fun.

Cents ... that is assuming that they want to mess around. Mine finds soccer his passion so that's what he does. And it was 5 practices a week (including 2 days of keeper training) and 2 or 3 games a weekend. I asked his several times if he wanted to do something besides soccer sometimes and he just gave me "a look". If it's what they love doing, go for it!!
slampg
slampg
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GoWide 8/8/2011, 6:23 pm

My BB is 14 soon to turn 15 and he started at 8 on two teams. This was not our choice it was his. He loved one team because it was more competitive and the other was more fun! (Playing with Cousin/Friends) Trying to find a way out, I did contact North Texas Soccer about the rules of playing on two teams and was told as long as one of the associations was not NTSSA sanctioned it was not an issue with them. And to my surprise his more competitive team/League was not NTSSA sanctioned. OH JOY FOR ME! We did this for 2 years. (The interim he played indoor and tried to play on two teams there also!) Eventually all his friends went to Academy teams and he too found one but stayed with his Rec "fun" team as long as he could. To this day he still loves soccer and has the same coach that he selected at age 10. He worked all year long last year to pay his way to play in Europe for 3 weeks this past summer. If he burns out believe me I will be ok with it and it will be long over due! But he has had a great ride and has learned so much and met so many great kids that it will have been worth it no matter the outcome! But I say let this be your child's choice "Not Yours"!

GoWide
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SEAOTTER 8/8/2011, 9:40 pm

slampg wrote:
my2cents wrote:
WRG wrote:

Cents ... that is assuming that they want to mess around. Mine finds soccer his passion so that's what he does. And it was 5 practices a week (including 2 days of keeper training) and 2 or 3 games a weekend. I asked his several times if he wanted to do something besides soccer sometimes and he just gave me "a look". If it's what they love doing, go for it!!

You have to be joking.. affraid That is the same crap parents say year after year. Your child needs a parent that will let him or teach him to be a kid. Next your going to say he would run away to another insane north Texas soccer family if you didn't let him train that much. That much organized soccer is insane. damn fruit loop. Evil or Very Mad

SEAOTTER
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

02 Boys playing on multiple teams Empty 2 leagues

Post by SEAOTTER 8/8/2011, 9:56 pm

Dont get me wrong, I see the point of getting to know the coach better before select. As a parent we have chosen to let our BB play for one coach in one league a season. We are more than open to letting him guest play in tournaments with others but I have seen it over and over where kids burn out and leave the game. Most of these kids that leave are the ones that have the parents that says what slampg says. BS. If we want North Texas soccer to continue to grow then we parents need to wake up. I would argue NT soccer has declined in quality since Academy soccer has came into the picture. Sure at a younger age it is better, But U14 and above we are not producing the players like other states. North Texas doesn't produce near the top tier talent that is use to. Sad

SEAOTTER
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by FCdad 8/9/2011, 3:43 pm

SEAOTTER wrote:
slampg wrote:
my2cents wrote:
WRG wrote:

You have to be joking.. affraid That is the same crap parents say year after year. Your child needs a parent that will let him or teach him to be a kid. Next your going to say he would run away to another insane north Texas soccer family if you didn't let him train that much. That much organized soccer is insane. damn fruit loop. Evil or Very Mad

It sounds to me that your kid doesn't have passion for the sport. That's fine, but maybe he should be playing rec. Most kids actually quit playing soccer because 1)they are good athletes and choose to focus on one of their other sports or 2)they are riding the bench and not enjoying soccer anymore.

Whether you want to recognize it or not, alot of kids do have real passion for the sport. You don't have to quit being a kid to be a passionate and developing soccer player. All you have to do is give up 30 minutes of TV or Video game time each day and spend that time juggling or practicing in the backyard. When you have real passion, you want to do it every day.
Kids in other countries eat, breathe, and sleep soccer. It's their passion. Their hero's are soccer players. Their dad's, uncles, cousins, brothers all play soccer. They play soccer everyday in their neighborhood. They watch soccer on TV. Soccer is their life and therefore many of them develop that soccer brain that makes the difference between a good player and a great player.
Unfortunately in the United States, we don't have that soccer culture that's needed to nourish and develop great players. In the U.S., we don't have neighborhood fields with free pickup games. US Soccer players aren't
considered hero's. Most American kids don't even watch soccer on TV.
This is why the parents are crucial to development in the US.
Look at the top 10 players in almost every age group, and you will find some things in common.
1) All of these kids have passion for the sport. Your kid shouldn't even be allowed to join academy/select soccer until he has a passion for the game and wants to learn.
2) Their parents are involved. These parents are willing to do whatever it takes to help their kid. They do their homework. They know which coaches will be the best fit for their BB.
3) These parents don't spend all of their time bitching about the system or the coaches. These parents recognize that the coaches only have your kids for about 3 hours a week and your BB isn't going to develop into Messi with 3 hours a week. These parents actually spend time with the BB at the soccer field or backyard and help him work on his weaknesses. (or they will pay for extra skill sessions)
4) These parents don't come on the boards and bitch about coaches that try to win games. Why? Because they realize that even if their kids coach is focused on winning all 8 games in the Fall season, and all 8 games in the Spring Season, thats only 16 days out of the year. That still leaves 349 days in the year for their kid to focus on practice and development.
5) They watch soccer with their BB. They have fun with them and encourage them.

Don't criticize others because they help their BB pursue his passion. Maybe one day, your child will be passionate as well, and if you are good parent, you will do everything you can to help him along the way.
Every kid is different. Some might say that you are the fruit loop by not putting in the extra time to help your kid get better, thereby increasing his chances of riding the bench and losing interest in the sport.

FCdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by SEAOTTER 8/9/2011, 6:09 pm

FCdad wrote:
SEAOTTER wrote:
slampg wrote:
my2cents wrote:
WRG wrote:

It sounds to me that your kid doesn't have passion for the sport. That's fine, but maybe he should be playing rec. Most kids actually quit playing soccer because 1)they are good athletes and choose to focus on one of their other sports or 2)they are riding the bench and not enjoying soccer anymore.

Whether you want to recognize it or not, alot of kids do have real passion for the sport. You don't have to quit being a kid to be a passionate and developing soccer player. All you have to do is give up 30 minutes of TV or Video game time each day and spend that time juggling or practicing in the backyard. When you have real passion, you want to do it every day.
Kids in other countries eat, breathe, and sleep soccer. It's their passion. Their hero's are soccer players. Their dad's, uncles, cousins, brothers all play soccer. They play soccer everyday in their neighborhood. They watch soccer on TV. Soccer is their life and therefore many of them develop that soccer brain that makes the difference between a good player and a great player.
Unfortunately in the United States, we don't have that soccer culture that's needed to nourish and develop great players. In the U.S., we don't have neighborhood fields with free pickup games. US Soccer players aren't
Look at the top 10 players in almost every age group, and you will find some things in common.
1) All of these kids have passion for the sport. Your kid shouldn't even be allowed to join academy/select soccer until he has a passion for the game and wants to learn.
2) Their parents are involved. These parents are willing to do whatever it takes to help their kid. They do their homework. They know which coaches will be the best fit for their BB.
3) These parents don't spend all of their time bitching about the system or the coaches. These parents recognize that the coaches only have your kids for about 3 hours a week and your BB isn't going to develop into Messi with 3 hours a week. These parents actually spend time with the BB at the soccer field or backyard and help him work on his weaknesses. (or they will pay for extra skill sessions)
4) These parents don't come on the boards and bitch about coaches that try to win games. Why? Because they realize that even if their kids coach is focused on winning all 8 games in the Fall season, and all 8 games in the Spring Season, thats only 16 days out of the year. That still leaves 349 days in the year for their kid to focus on practice and development.

Don't criticize others because they help their BB pursue his passion. Maybe one day, your child will be passionate as well, and if you are good parent, you will do everything you can to help him along the way.
Every kid is different. Some might say that you are the fruit loop by not putting in the extra time to help your kid get better, thereby increasing his chances of riding the bench and losing interest in the sport.

OK fcdad where did I say that my kid doesn't have the passion for the game? Where did I say my child didn't want to train? Where did I say that my kids rides the bench? Hmmmm let me answer that for you. I DIDNT! Before you get on here and try to make a intelligent response read what I said. MY BB loves to play the game. He loves to train and doesnt ride the bench. My wife and I chose to not let him play multiple games a weekend. BELIEVE me has has been asked my many teams to let him play with them.... WE chose to not let him train more than 2 times a week. IF you really want to know what make the foreign players so good? It is that they go out and play with their friends on any piece of open ground they can find. What your problem is as well as many other soccer parents you actually believe that a kid should train 5 times a week and play 2 or 3 games a weekend to be better in long run.
Now if the kids wanted to go outside and play pickup games with their friends thats another thing. There they wont have their over barring coaches and parents riding them. In that environment kids work on their flair for the game. Thats the difference of the US and other countries. I have seen a lot of soccer parents like you and slampg and there will be more just like you after your child is burnt out and gone. I just hope that as time goes on there will be less and less of you guys so that The future of the game here in the United States can grow like it has in other countries. sunny

SEAOTTER
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by getafe01 8/9/2011, 6:40 pm

SEAOTTER wrote:
FCdad wrote:
SEAOTTER wrote:
slampg wrote:
my2cents wrote:
WRG wrote:

OK fcdad where did I say that my kid doesn't have the passion for the game? Where did I say my child didn't want to train? Where did I say that my kids rides the bench? Hmmmm let me answer that for you. I DIDNT! Before you get on here and try to make a intelligent response read what I said. MY BB loves to play the game. He loves to train and doesnt ride the bench. My wife and I chose to not let him play multiple games a weekend. BELIEVE me has has been asked my many teams to let him play with them.... WE chose to not let him train more than 2 times a week. IF you really want to know what make the foreign players so good? It is that they go out and play with their friends on any piece of open ground they can find. What your problem is as well as many other soccer parents you actually believe that a kid should train 5 times a week and play 2 or 3 games a weekend to be better in long run.
Now if the kids wanted to go outside and play pickup games with their friends thats another thing. There they wont have their over barring coaches and parents riding them. In that environment kids work on their flair for the game. Thats the difference of the US and other countries. I have seen a lot of soccer parents like you and slampg and there will be more just like you after your child is burnt out and gone. I just hope that as time goes on there will be less and less of you guys so that The future of the game here in the United States can grow like it has in other countries. sunny

Otter, very well said! I happen to agree with you. Each child and family are different. My comments above were directed to encourage folks not to necessarily be complacent with one team or one club. If one has the means and the child (keyword) has the desire and gives the ok, go and evaluate teams and coaches. If you play with more than one team, that is your choice. I will not be critical of that tactic anymore.
getafe01
getafe01
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by FCdad 8/9/2011, 6:47 pm

SEAOTTER wrote:
FCdad wrote:
SEAOTTER wrote:
slampg wrote:
my2cents wrote:
WRG wrote:

I agree. If kids could easily go out and play unorganized neighborhood soccer we would be better off. Unfortunately it's hard to find neighborhood fields with unorganized games. Hell, most city fields wont even let you play on them unless you rent the field. So in this country, most parents have no other choice than to find other options. 3v3, futsal, skills classes, etc. can all help development. So why bash on parents that choose to go that route? If your kid has passion and wants to be a better player but you aren't doing everything you can to help him, then that's your decision.....I'm not going to bash you for it. but personally, I wouldn't rely on one academy/select coach to determine my kids soccer future. You are putting all of your eggs in one basket.
My sister grew up in gymnastics and practiced 6 hours a day(Before and after school) and she never got burned out. If you are truly passionate you wont get burned out. and if a kid does get burned out, just take a season or two off. It's not the end of the world.
If you are that worried about burnout, just play rec and high school soccer and quit bitching about what everyone else does.

FCdad
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by GoWide 8/9/2011, 7:18 pm

As I have said this is not for every kid. My BB liked playing the less competitive games where he could work on the things his academy skills coaches taught him. The rec games seemed to be at a slower pace for him but he wanted the tougher competition also so it was more of a balance for him. Both coaches knew he was doing it and neither had a problem with other. Last year he practiced on M-W-T mornings or afterschool and played school games on Tuesday nights, and then went to his Select Soccer practices two times a week with games on the weekends. Then he had the ODP practices on top of those on Sunday's. So what is the difference in that and what he did as a 9 and 10 year old? It has actually worked out to be more now that he is older. Heck in his 7th grade year they did not schedule soccer very well and he would run cross country and then ask us to get him to his school soccer game so he could still play that. Is that a bad parent???? I am not sure I just know that is what he wanted and as long as he stayed healthy and got the proper amount of rest and kept his grades up we were not going to turn him down. Put me in the horrible parent category! But I will say he was not the only one at his school to do this there was other boys on his team that did the same thing. But once again not all kids are like my son! You have to know your child and be able to read when they have had enough. And I will say the coaches all knew what he was doing and they let him tell them when he could or couldn't do something. And they put no pressure on him to perform. He put it on himself.

GoWide
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by slampg 8/9/2011, 8:48 pm

FCdad wrote:
SEAOTTER wrote:
FCdad wrote:
SEAOTTER wrote:
slampg wrote:
my2cents wrote:
WRG wrote:

I agree. If kids could easily go out and play unorganized neighborhood soccer we would be better off. Unfortunately it's hard to find neighborhood fields with unorganized games. Hell, most city fields wont even let you play on them unless you rent the field. So in this country, most parents have no other choice than to find other options. 3v3, futsal, skills classes, etc. can all help development. So why bash on parents that choose to go that route? If your kid has passion and wants to be a better player but you aren't doing everything you can to help him, then that's your decision.....I'm not going to bash you for it. but personally, I wouldn't rely on one academy/select coach to determine my kids soccer future. You are putting all of your eggs in one basket.
My sister grew up in gymnastics and practiced 6 hours a day(Before and after school) and she never got burned out. If you are truly passionate you wont get burned out. and if a kid does get burned out, just take a season or two off. It's not the end of the world.
If you are that worried about burnout, just play rec and high school soccer and quit bitching about what everyone else does.

SEA OTTER, I am amazed that you would call me a fruit loop and state that the decisions I make in supporting my child and his ambitions is crap. What a hypocritical sea mammal you are! You control your boy by withholding potential opportunities for him to learn and grow yet find my approach lacking and demean it? Broaden your mind to other perspectives before slinging sh!t.
slampg
slampg
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PG-Boy 8/9/2011, 10:57 pm

Sea Otter, it's off base to slam Mr. Slampg.

My bb runs with a posse of boys that have been playing on multiple teams since they were 6 & 7. They are all '01s.

They've played futsal on hardwood, indoor on carpet, on dirt fields, bumpy pitches in pirate Mexican leagues, the well tended Academy fields, 3v3, in toe-numbing cold and blistering heat, etc. They play on concrete, asphalt, marble hallways, etc. There is always a ball bouncing nearby. Their friends are soccer boys, they live the lifestyle of a full time baller. They have more pairs of shoes in every color of the rainbow then necessary. There are jerseys in the closet in every color with crazy numbers. You always have to be ready for the next call.

They live too far apart to walk to each other's homes. Mom and dad's have to ferry them to-an-fro.

My boy has often played on different teams simultaneously. Albeit, 2-3 simultaneous teams is the norm. There's plenty of byes, overlaps, breaks, etc to create just enough wiggle room to avoid most schedule conflicts. They play indoor all over the metroplex, outdoor on just about every field you can consider; rec, academy, and pirate leagues. Is he burned out, hardly. He's always asking when he can go play again with his friends.

I have one rule for my bb. He has ONE PRIMARY team, every other team is second to the primary team. No other team takes precedence when a schedule conflict arises. The coaches on the non-primary team are aware of this rule. There's no reason to lie to coaches. Lately, though, his primary team has been keeping him PLENTY busy.

Lest you think soccer is all he does; his school grades are exemplary and he can play music, too. He's not one dimensional.

As long as my bb dreams, I'll dream along with him. Just call me his sherpa. Smile

Last edited by PG-Boy on 8/10/2011, 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
PG-Boy
PG-Boy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

02 Boys playing on multiple teams Empty Club soccer

Post by albundy412 8/11/2011, 1:21 pm

Ok. I get the wanting to play soccer all the time. I know with our club that a kid can do skills two days a week, team practice two days a week, and shooting clinic or goalie skills the other day. Games on either Saturday or Sunday. So you could feasibly keep busy all week just at the one club. I hear the argument about a different experience at different clubs. But why would you need that if you are good with the coach you already have? And is it fair to the coach? Oh, and I used to do the same thing growing up, playing basketball every waking moment, so I know you can do it without getting burned out.

albundy412
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next