Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Classic referees - Page 2 Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Classic referees

+15
studsup
fan_of_soccer
TxHunter
twotone
clueless
True10
socmom3
rdg
The German
homer999
happyfeet
mrclean
norwich city
4 world cups
my2cents
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Classic referees - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic referees

Post by happyfeet 10/11/2009, 9:10 pm

clueless wrote:
mrclean wrote:As far as time management goes, I'm curious if anyone has ever seen this. We have a player red carded for a foul during a goal scoring opportunity (I'm not sure I agreed with it). It took maybe four to five minutes to figure out what had happened. The AR who made the call didn't know the number of the player so the Center and AR had to figure it out. Then they told one of our players to leave the field. Our coaches asked for an explanation. Maybe at the end of five minutes max the ref starts the game and tells our team that we will have 25 MINUTES of stoppage. It's 90+ degrees. We are a man down and he thinks we need to play an extra 25 minutes. We already subbed out a few of our starters so they are done. The game started at 12:00 and ended at 2:00.
With 25 minutes of stoppage and a man down, you can't help but think that there is just a little bit of pulling for the other team. It's ashame that as a high school coach, I am starting to expect more biased referees than in out of town games with home town refs. The referees are way too involved in the outcome of too many games. A discussion on "the spirit of the game" and whether or not contact between players is significant would be very much appreciated. I am seeing too many little bumps called and then a player gets shoved off the ball from behind or slide tackled from behind and no call. We had a player get taken out after he left the field while trying to keep a ball in. Another player slides him from behind while off the field and the linesman says "It happens" when asked for a call.
I am just not seeing any consistency as to what constitutes a foul or a caution.
I'm normally not a ref basher, but this year - I've definitely got a foot on the bandwagon. I've seen a total push from behind in a tie game, in the box (although, personally, I'm in favor of no calls for game-winning PKs - I just like it that way). In our game vs True10's club - the ref gave 4 min of added time, after telling us he'd give 2 without a reason for the 2 other than 'delay' - which, I'm guessing was to retrieve a ball in the woods at Richland (2 min in the woods? woudn't that constitute a helicopter search for the child?). I've seen about 1 in 5 handballs called - but don't mind that so much (honestly, that has been consistently not called).
I learn a lot from our coach in that - during the game he questions the calls that can change the game, but afterward, if they did affect the game - he could care less. It helps one's blood pressure quite a bit. You can't do anything about it - so, there really isn't any need to dwell on it.
One of the best referees I can recall was 13 or 14 and explained his reasoning (in a very squeaky voice) for every call that was potentially questionable. I know the opponent wasn't happy as two PKs made the difference in the game, but I just liked the attempt to control the game and, more importantly, the crowd as it was getting a little concerning. I think if referees turned to the crowd or, at least the coaches and explained their thought process - it would help. In one of the games mentioned above, the referee stated 'it is okay' to explain a no call on a trip and a handball? That really doesn't help as he acknowledged the offense, but didn't do anything about it nor state advantage or anything.
We had an A/R kick a parent out, in front of a marshal who witnessed the entire episode. The marshal stated they would testify to the problem being the A/R, not the parent - but there was no forum for such. Our parent went to the official's room and asked if there was anything that can be done and they said 'no'. There should be some method for improving our crews, right? Basically, in the instance, the A/R claimed something was said and literally went off on the parent - it was very strange. But, given nothing happened from this - nothing was learned (from either the parent nor the A/R)? We've also had a parent as a linesman call an offside (which I didn't think was allowed)?
It's been interesting - I'm not letting my kids referee unless I want to thicken their skin for some reason. The parents are totally out of control - without the referees, we don't have games. They are doing us a favor, but there needs to be some mechanism for improvement (I'm not in favor of punishment really as there just aren't enough to go around).
Two points...
One, there is no such thing as a "handball". It's called handeling and there is a HUGE difference. A FIFA grade 1 ref once stated that if handeling was never called you'd be right 90% of the time. It's not a foul just because the ball touches the hand.
Two, there certainly is an appeals process for any parent who gets sent off. He/she can request a hearing and have witnesses called.
I'll add a 3rd point...you say a ref took a PK score away from you. Was it a judgement call or a procedural one? If procedural, it is a misapplication of the LOTG and can be appealed.

happyfeet
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 10/11/2009, 9:58 pm

Thanks,
I'd never heard the term handling ('cept when I'm purchasing something). As I mentioned, I am in favor of no handling calls - unless it's a deliberate dribble or jumping grab of the ball - we did have a deliberate dribble by one of our players, which helped in an attack that produced the 'do not worry, it is fine' comment. I'd guess at least 90% of them are ball-to-hand so a call is not warranted. I have seen a kid jump up to pull a corner down and kick it in while everyone on the field stopped play - extremely perplexing why nothing was called on that one, but it was one of those 'gotta live with it' calls.
The parent sent off could care less about being sent off - so, there is no reason for an appeal. The problem was, as attested by the field marshal that the A/R had some sort of issue. This is a problem as that could affect other, subsequent games. It had no bearing in ours, except maybe that it could explain the delay/added time later granted. The parent immediately called me and said the marshal told him to go immediately to the concession stand to explain to the referees what happened to see if anything could be done, and they'd be a witness - he was told that there was nothing that could be done. So, we let it rest. So, as I see it - no lesson was learned. I wasn't in the vicinity, so I can't tell what went on. I wouldn't put it past any parent from getting kicked out, but what the A/R accused the parent of saying was totally not in character (not only would the parent not say it, the A/R should not have said what he thought was said in front of my youngest child - not language that should be used in public by anyone officiating). Everyone has an ego and biases, it's just a pretty good idea to leave 'em at home if you are in an impartial authoritarian position. I'm well aware of the referee conduct forms - and the lack of follow-up and/or submission that goes along with them. I really don't feel those are worthwhile as coaches tend to not fill them out - and I certainly don't want parents to have the ability to fill them out (that would be the deathblow to our current referee staff).
I don't know the example you spoke of regarding PKs - the only thing I read is when I mentioned we were given two PKs (one deserved, one probably not). I'd guess they were judgemental as they were fouls in the box. We sure as heck wouldn't appeal it as we won the tournament (it was about 4 years ago). I don't recall the foul specifics only recall the jeering as we were getting manhandled the entire game only to win in PKs.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by twotone 10/19/2009, 1:04 am

In the LOTG, there is no reference of "handball". In the LOTG, Handling is defined as when a player "handles the ball intentionally." If you've never heard the term handling, maybe you should invest in the book. At least you'd be able to explain to the parents next to you that they're wrong.

on the penalty kick restart that someone posted about earlier, there are certain situations where the penalty kick is retaken if theyre is an infraction, but there are also situations that call for an indirect free kick for the defense going out. Depends on what the infraction is.

on the AR sending away a parent, i'm not going to defend that AR, but i will say that referees are usually assigned in 3-game sets. listening to parents screaming and complaining for 4 hours, especially about calls they have no knowledge of, can build frustrtation in even the best of referees. Its not fair to the parent in the 3rd game for that referee to carry it over from the 1st or 2nd game, but he/she is human and it doesnt take much to tirp that last nerve when its hot, humid, and you're tired and mentally drained.

twotone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/19/2009, 9:37 am

twotone wrote:on the AR sending away a parent, i'm not going to defend that AR, but i will say that referees are usually assigned in 3-game sets. listening to parents screaming and complaining for 4 hours, especially about calls they have no knowledge of, can build frustrtation in even the best of referees. Its not fair to the parent in the 3rd game for that referee to carry it over from the 1st or 2nd game, but he/she is human and it doesnt take much to trip that last nerve when its hot, humid, and you're tired and mentally drained.
It's kinda like being third in the express checkout line and the people in front of you have at least 20 items - 3 of which need price checks.

Back to top Go down

Post by TxHunter 10/19/2009, 2:26 pm

From my perspective, it is no different than the rest of us doing our jobs in how they perform - poor performers should be removed. Simply though. they need to be involved and PAY ATTENTION dang it - especially the AR's. I have seen so many times where they are looking one way and the play is going the other, watching another game, not calling obvious fouls, 10 to 15 yards out of position on offsides or goal line plays where they 10 yards off the line and trying to make calls on the opposite side of the field. Also be decisive, when you make a call stick with it right or wrong - don't let the spectators influence you.
They will make mistakes, but they need to start showing the effort and be consistent in the calls - a bad call both ways is fine it will even itself out. I get better effort out of my rec teams referees getting $15 for the game, I don't think we are expecting or asking for that much from Classic League referees who are supposed to be the best in the area.

TxHunter
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 10/19/2009, 2:50 pm

TxHunter wrote:From my perspective, it is no different than the rest of us doing our jobs in how they perform - poor performers should be removed. Simply though. they need to be involved and PAY ATTENTION dang it - especially the AR's. I have seen so many times where they are looking one way and the play is going the other, watching another game, not calling obvious fouls, 10 to 15 yards out of position on offsides or goal line plays where they 10 yards off the line and trying to make calls on the opposite side of the field. Also be decisive, when you make a call stick with it right or wrong - don't let the spectators influence you.
They will make mistakes, but they need to start showing the effort and be consistent in the calls - a bad call both ways is fine it will even itself out. I get better effort out of my rec teams referees getting $15 for the game, I don't think we are expecting or asking for that much from Classic League referees who are supposed to be the best in the area.

I think there is a flaw in this logic as there isn't a line of people wanting to step into their shoes. I can recall complaints from 30 years ago of the same nature - that tells me it's as old as the first officiated sport. I can't blame people for complaining, I generally don't complain, but I can't say I never have (this season I have seen a few head-scratchers), but I also know there isn't a good alternative.
This isn't a union where the president can come in and replace everyone (traffic controllers) - this is close to a voluntary situation where we get what we get. I'd concur with the A/R statement - lots of out of position/refusal to make calls, blatantly wrong out of bounds calls - but, I'm used to it - so it doesn't bother me for more than a few minutes.
If anything - the feedback system needs to change - there is no incentive to get better at this. A club I belong to has lifeguards that get increases every year - if referees could do something like that and be assessed in some manner to earn raises, it might be a good step. I don't think getting rid of them, given the shortage of them, is a good answer. I recall a particularly loud/riotous game in which I had no less than 5 parents ask about submitting a referee appraisal form - I mentioned that to the coach and he was laughing very hard as he said 'for what?' It wasn't the fact that there was likely to be nothing done to the referee, it was because his expectations were different and how he deals with calls is different (part of coaching hundreds of games).
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by The German 10/19/2009, 3:20 pm

TxHunter wrote:From my perspective, it is no different than the rest of us doing our jobs in how they perform - poor performers should be removed. Simply though. they need to be involved and PAY ATTENTION dang it - especially the AR's. I have seen so many times where they are looking one way and the play is going the other, watching another game, not calling obvious fouls, 10 to 15 yards out of position on offsides or goal line plays where they 10 yards off the line and trying to make calls on the opposite side of the field. Also be decisive, when you make a call stick with it right or wrong - don't let the spectators influence you.
Are you implying that a ref that realizes he made a mistake should then make another wrong call so it's even?
The German
The German
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 10/19/2009, 3:55 pm

The German wrote:
Are you implying that a ref that realizes he made a mistake should then make another wrong call so it's even?
Perhaps we can have counters installed - keep track of each call so we can ensure equal treatment - I think the current administration is working on something similar for our schools.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by True10 10/19/2009, 8:14 pm

I actually saw a ref admit his mistake and change his call after a breif explanation to the parents. Classic referees - Page 2 Icon_eek
True10
True10
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by twotone 10/19/2009, 11:28 pm

True10 wrote:I actually saw a ref admit his mistake and change his call after a breif explanation to the parents. Classic referees - Page 2 Icon_eek

i see this a more of a problem than a solution. Parents dont deserve any explanation of any call a referee makes. They dont deserve an explanation of any substitution or tactical change any coach makes. And they dont deserve any explanation of any turnover that their kid makes. THey simply need to sit down in their comfortable chairs they bring to the fields and enjoy their kids playing a game. Spectators in movie theaters dont get explanations from the director on plot changes, they dont get them from actors in a play, they dont get them from the singer at a concert. Sit down and enjoy the show. or maybe we can stop it like football and give the ref a microphone and he can have a bunch of fancy hand signals to report to the official scorer after each development......
it kinda makes me chuckle a bit on how all the parents/spectators comment on the AR being out of position. Unless you're directly behind the AR when he/she is even with the second to last defender at the time the ball is played, you have no idea what the "right" position is. Sometimes that happens in dynamic play, but most of the time, the parent is lounging with a leg up over the arm and sitting underneath a shade umbrella with sunglasses and a wide brimmed hat on about 40 yards up the line. You telling me that's the "right" position to judge offside? Methinks not.
even a coach will admit most of the time they are complaining its for the next call in his favor, not for the current decision at all.

twotone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by twotone 10/19/2009, 11:35 pm

as i pointed out in another thread, most of "the rest of us" (as you put it) dont have random, uninformed people yelling at us at our regular jobs, let alone our hobbies. I suggest it might change your performance at your job if that was the case and you'd be satisfied if you boss got rid of you, i'm sure. And something tells me that you dont pay attention for 90 straight minutes, ok I'll give you 45 straight minutes cuz of halftime, and maintain that dead-set focus throughout the entire time. i'd bet a few $$$ that you're mind wanders for a brief second or two. That doesnt make it right, but its does make it human. next time you're perfect, make sure to post it on this board......

Like i said, give that next referee that you yell at your work address so he can make sure and come yell at you over your shoulder for 90 minutes. It may be a pleasant experience for you, but i wouldnt believe it if you told me so.
Classic referees - Page 2 Affraid

twotone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 10/25/2009, 9:42 am

Once again games canceled because of lack of refs. For the premier league in the state and supposedly one of the top in the country this is very poor. Pay raises ? Bonuses kicking in after x amount of games taken? Seniority pay increases? There is a solution and it needs to be found! Or maybe more field marshalls with authority to strictly enforce the NTSSA code of conduct on the parents.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by fan_of_soccer 10/25/2009, 10:21 am

my2cents wrote:Once again games canceled because of lack of refs. For the premier league in the state and supposedly one of the top in the country this is very poor. Pay raises ? Bonuses kicking in after x amount of games taken? Seniority pay increases? There is a solution and it needs to be found! Or maybe more field marshalls with authority to strictly enforce the NTSSA code of conduct on the parents.

Don't think you have all the facts as to why the games were canceled.
fan_of_soccer
fan_of_soccer
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 10/25/2009, 11:32 am

fan_of_soccer wrote:
my2cents wrote:Once again games canceled because of lack of refs. For the premier league in the state and supposedly one of the top in the country this is very poor. Pay raises ? Bonuses kicking in after x amount of games taken? Seniority pay increases? There is a solution and it needs to be found! Or maybe more field marshalls with authority to strictly enforce the NTSSA code of conduct on the parents.

Don't think you have all the facts as to why the games were canceled.
' Also, due to a NTSSA hosted adult tournament this weekend we
have fewer referees than usual which has caused us to cancel a few games as
follows.'
I saw this and didn't think much of it really - as the fields haven't been open lately to even think about soccer.
As far as field marshaling, I'm not certain I'd be willing to 'volunteer' if you are actually required to do something more than page a trainer and point out where fields are located. Are you really asking a volunteer to step into a domestic situation? A 4'9" lady versus a maniacal 6' 2" man? Teams pretty much have to control that on their own, IMO and officials should get thicker skin or set the tone immediately by warning the sidelines. The officials have the authority and are not volunteers - they should be the one carrying the big stick.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 10/25/2009, 2:31 pm

Fan, you may be right but as it was relayed to me the games were canceled for lack of referees. We have played three games so far.
Clueless, no I would not ask that of the weekly volunteers for a variety of reasons including safety. What is needed is more regular staff to handle this, probably on a paid basis. The problem is partially that refs are leaving for rec associations that pay just as good and have regular trained field marshalls and board members enforcing code of conduct on the sidelines. So if I am a ref I think hmm, same pay, easier games, active back up on the sidelines. I personally know a couple that took this route. We both know the officials are not getting rich out there and no the answer is not that the refs need thicker skin. The clubs won't do anything unless it is going to cost them money. Remember, the parents are the customer. I know of a select league in CT. that got so fed up with it that one audible ref complaint and your gone. Two ejections and don't come back this year. I attended a match up there once and it was refreshing to say the least.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 10/25/2009, 3:17 pm

my2cents wrote:Fan, you may be right but as it was relayed to me the games were canceled for lack of referees. We have played three games so far.
Clueless, no I would not ask that of the weekly volunteers for a variety of reasons including safety. What is needed is more regular staff to handle this, probably on a paid basis. The problem is partially that refs are leaving for rec associations that pay just as good and have regular trained field marshalls and board members enforcing code of conduct on the sidelines. So if I am a ref I think hmm, same pay, easier games, active back up on the sidelines. I personally know a couple that took this route. We both know the officials are not getting rich out there and no the answer is not that the refs need thicker skin. The clubs won't do anything unless it is going to cost them money. Remember, the parents are the customer. I know of a select league in CT. that got so fed up with it that one audible ref complaint and your gone. Two ejections and don't come back this year. I attended a match up there once and it was refreshing to say the least.
I'd go for that - it would be interesting to say the least. I would expect it's a one-way street as well - i.e. the referees who tend to retaliate verbally probably are not subject to any punishment. I'm mixed on that one - they are doing us a favor by refereeing, but they need to understand it's not okay to accuse parents of verbal assaults when there are none (that still just blows my mind that with a witness even, nothing can be done about it).
I can't stand the 'I pay for this' excuse for behavior - even 'customers' are expected to understand their place and the rules outside of one's home. Just returned from a youth basketball game - appalled at the parent's comments, as usual, it's from a select few - not all, but it is still baffling - what, exactly is at stake here? The things that upset us as parents.
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by studsup 10/25/2009, 6:33 pm

If there is nothing at stake then why do we differentiate between D1 2 3 Plano Arlington etc. . The league , clubs coaches and NTX all want it that way. Why ? Money of course same reason most of the refs are there. Do you really think that the refs were sitting at home and said "man I know there are some kids that would love to play a game today and unless i go ref they can't". If this was the case they would volunteer there time for the kids and the love of the game. That is not the case 98% of the time. Making parents feel guilty for daring to question a call makes the money they do make easy to come by without the neccessity of becoming better at their job as well. It is a job they recieve compensation and most of the time it is cash money. I dont mean to sound as if I agree with some of the comments (personal assaults, cursing and or verbal threats should be dealt with harshly) but lately the mere question of a call especially ones that change outcomes even the first word is followed by a stoppage of the game while a ref admonishes the field and threatens to eject a coach. Through out time refs in every sport have caught a certain amount of flack from fans, coaches and parents. The good refs know that their job is to ignore this and call the game as he or she sees it. Thats all! call the best game you can forget the parents are there and get on with doing what we are asking the kids to do. Focus on the task at hand, be better than you were the last game, and dont cry and whine if things dont go your way. By the way I have 2 sons who both ref.
studsup
studsup
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrclean 10/25/2009, 8:34 pm

Just a few observations and comments:
1. I am noticing some really good quality control in the Classic League in terms of assessing and taking the time to discuss with referees how they could improve. I have at times been extremely frustrated with some referees but I can see that the league is working hard to ensure that the referees are performing their duties at the level that we and the League expects.
From here on out, I will try to keep my mouth shut and enjoy the game.

2. The refs do need to have thick skin and know that there will always be a few seconds of time where the fan reaction over a tackle or foul will be emotional. Unless the conduct is extreme, it is probably best to ignore it.

3. Once a spectator starts shouting profanity or keeps harassing the ref or talking to players, then the referee should ask them to leave. This should be a $25 fine. The team manager should provide them with a name and their relationship to a player. The second offense should be a $50 fine and a hearing to consider being banned from the league. If they are banned and show back up at any game, then the player should have a hearing to consider removing them from the league.

4. The best way to approach this is in house. The coaches should not tolerate noisy parents. When a parents starts yelling, the coach can easily nip this in the bud by pulling their child off the field. Parents can also hold each other accountable. It's not easy but it can be done.
mrclean
mrclean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by studsup 10/25/2009, 10:07 pm

I tend to agree with MR clean except I dont believe in punishing a child who cant control a parent and most coaches would only pull a kid who is a sub anyway after all winning seems to be the most important thing out here ( not what I believe just what I see). Why else do supposed top coaches opt to persuade players to come to their teams rather than develop the players they have. Also maybe the reffing courses should delve into what is excessive criticism and what is an emotional outburst in the heat of competition so our refs can learn how to identify and deal with these situations properly. I have seen a lot of well reffed games in which the ref handles the early confrontations with the sidelines so well that the parents actually begin to see his side. Usually this is accomplished with a mixture of humility and comedy so that the parents understand that he is truly doing his best to get the calls correct rather than I am the almighty reffing god that shall never be questioned without sever repercussions be brought forth. This approach which has become the tactic of choice lately seems to do nothing more than insight and enrage already passionate parents or spectators who believe that promotion or relegation hang on every call. Together we can all do a better job of making this game better and bigger in the youth community parents refs coaches and admins. We just need to try and understand one another!!!!!!!
studsup
studsup
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by twotone 10/25/2009, 11:27 pm

I really get confused on why the parents or spectators seem to think they warrant or deserve any kind of explanation or reasoning behind any of the referee decisions. Do parents/spectators really believe that they are apart of the game in any sense. Their role is to watch the game and enjoy their children playing. Since when did parents become the overseers of all referee decisions and think they can impact the match at all? If you want to have an impact, take a coaching course or referee course, dont be content sitting on the sideline. Maybe that's apart of your frustrations that you try to exert on everyone else.
I heard someone mention something about a foul calculator for the referees decisions. If we had a turnover calculator for everytime your son turned over the ball, would you feel a necessity to "hold him accountable" for his mistakes? Or what about everytime a fan is completely wrong about his complaint like screaming "high kick" or "playing on the ground" or "handball" or calling for a pk from 75 yards away? That would be a sight to see.

Just to explain a bit, at least 3 of the leagues have specific instructions for the referees on how to handle spectators. If there is an unruly spectator, the coach is instructed to warn the coach of the team about the conduct of the sideline. Then coach is then held to do something about the conduct of those spectators. If there is further problems, the coach and the spectator are dismissed. If a specific spectator cannot be identified, an option of the referee is to also clear the entire sideline (half or full). There is no threat to remove the coach, as someone said earlier, but a process as directed by league officials.
Classic referees - Page 2 Icon_cheers

twotone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/26/2009, 8:45 am

Perhaps we parents need to ask ourselves, if the game was taped and you could hear your comments, would you be proud enough of your behavior and reactions to play it for your grandmother and or your minister/rabbi/spiritual leader?

For the referees managing the referees, I saw two assessors on the sidelines on Saturday's games at RC. They seem to be doing their part. Am I doing mine?

Back to top Go down

Post by wbgbpfan 10/26/2009, 10:42 am

[quote="tbitb"]Perhaps we parents need to ask ourselves, if the game was taped and you could hear your comments, would you be proud enough of your behavior and reactions to play it for your grandmother and or your minister/rabbi/spiritual leader?

Well said - if parents would just cheer for the good play of their teams and quit berating the referees for bad/missed calls (that they think are bad/missed) and watch the game it would be more enjoyable for everyone on the sideline. Maybe the managers need to stock up on tootsie pops to give to the offending parents so they realize how bad they're acting. Also, parents screaming at the referees seems to spill over to the players on the field - once they hear Mom/Dad yelling about missed/bad calls they also start complaining to the referees on the field - not what a coach wants to see.
wbgbpfan
wbgbpfan
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rocks 10/29/2009, 4:54 pm

I think Sippy Cups would be appropriate for some of these loud parents.
rocks
rocks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by FlatBack4 10/29/2009, 6:34 pm

[quote="wbgbpfan"]
tbitb wrote:Perhaps we parents need to ask ourselves, if the game was taped and you could hear your comments, would you be proud enough of your behavior and reactions to play it for your grandmother and or your minister/rabbi/spiritual leader?

Well said - if parents would just cheer for the good play of their teams and quit berating the referees for bad/missed calls (that they think are bad/missed) and watch the game it would be more enjoyable for everyone on the sideline. Maybe the managers need to stock up on tootsie pops to give to the offending parents so they realize how bad they're acting. Also, parents screaming at the referees seems to spill over to the players on the field - once they hear Mom/Dad yelling about missed/bad calls they also start complaining to the referees on the field - not what a coach wants to see.

That all sounds great. To bad it won't work. As long as those games mean something, you are going to have parents berating the refs. Maybe you shouldn't worry about it, and maybe the refs should ignore them. In every other sport, the officials ignore the fans. Only in kid soccer do the refs worry more about what the parents think rather than doing what they are being paid to do.
FlatBack4
FlatBack4
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrclean 10/29/2009, 7:24 pm

I agree Flatback. Part of it is the closeness of the fans to the sideline and that it's fairly quiet at soccer games compared to football and basketball. The parents do need to display some sportmanship but referees need to tune out 98% of what they hear.
Maybe the youtube clip on the budweiser referee should be required training.
mrclean
mrclean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by RedBaron 10/29/2009, 7:55 pm

mrclean wrote:I agree Flatback. Part of it is the closeness of the fans to the sideline and that it's fairly quiet at soccer games compared to football and basketball. The parents do need to display some sportmanship but referees need to tune out 98% of what they hear.
Maybe the youtube clip on the budweiser referee should be required training.

Call it luck or "hard of hearing" or focus, but I rarely hear any comments from the parents. It's usually from the coaches and "sometimes" it's warranted. They see something different or from a different angle that I need to pay attention to. The parents can scream all they want. All they do is make themselves look foolish or earn a glaring "shut-up" from their child.
RedBaron
RedBaron
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2