Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

HS coach - pregnant player issue Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

HS coach - pregnant player issue

+9
go99
DadofDefense
twotone
Jedi Mind Tricks
True10
clueless
Aswan
b0013
springzephyr
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

HS coach - pregnant player issue Empty supporting a local Ft. Worth HS coach

Post by springzephyr 12/8/2009, 10:40 am

news about a local HS volleyball/soccer coach.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Pregnant-Volleyball-Player-Serves-Complaint-to-FWISD.html

springzephyr
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

HS coach - pregnant player issue Empty HS coach - pregnant player issue

Post by b0013 12/8/2009, 12:24 pm

[quote="springzephyr"]news about a local HS volleyball/soccer coach.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Pregnant-Volleyball-Player-Serves-Complaint-to-FWISD.html[/quote]

I'm on the coaches and school admin side on this one in this day of the sue happy society....

Story did not read as if the coach kicked her off the team, he only requested a doctor's release from the pregnant mom to be before returning to play.

This is a catch 22...

If the ISD allowed her to play and she lost the fetus due to hard hit or whatever she could make up...she could go after the school and coach. By the coach requesting a release from doctor, this coach is covering his and the ISD butts. If a doctor gives her a release, that takes the liability off the ISD.

Last edited by b0013 on 12/8/2009, 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
b0013
b0013
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

HS coach - pregnant player issue Empty Re: HS coach - pregnant player issue

Post by b0013 12/8/2009, 1:49 pm

Check out the news story...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=4693739
b0013
b0013
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aswan 12/8/2009, 2:02 pm

This is a sexual discrimination issue with potential constitutional underpinnings. The actual merit of the case will have to be adjudicated. A central point that will have to be established, as is the case with all claims of unequal treatment, is that of consistency and fairness. To wit, with what frequency and consistency and under what conditions has school district and their agents, in this case the coach, required pregnant males to have a doctor's approval before actively engaging in competitive sports.
Aswan
Aswan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by clueless 12/8/2009, 2:15 pm

Aswan wrote:This is a sexual discrimination issue with potential constitutional underpinnings. The actual merit of the case will have to be adjudicated. A central point that will have to be established, as is the case with all claims of unequal treatment, is that of consistency and fairness. To wit, with what frequency and consistency and under what conditions has school district and their agents, in this case the coach, required pregnant males to have a doctor's approval before actively engaging in competitive sports.
Great point - often wondered the same thing about the parking arrangements outside the various babystuff vendors. The males did get the stretchy pants equality established, however.
Aswan, I miss your old picture - it was a much better visual when I would read your posts (reminded me of an old custodian from my elementary school - pictured him sharing his gospel).
clueless
clueless
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by True10 12/8/2009, 3:03 pm

Aswan wrote:This is a sexual discrimination issue with potential constitutional underpinnings. The actual merit of the case will have to be adjudicated. A central point that will have to be established, as is the case with all claims of unequal treatment, is that of consistency and fairness. To wit, with what frequency and consistency and under what conditions has school district and their agents, in this case the coach, required pregnant males to have a doctor's approval before actively engaging in competitive sports.

I truly back the ISD and the coach but it will come down to semantics. If the coach did keep her out for pregnancy reasons only than he did violate federal law. If he kept her out for an unspecified medical condition then no he did not violate federal law. The coach did request for medical clearance, just like any coach would no matter what the medical condition may be, broken bone, concussion etc.. A medical is not gender specific, unless the medical condition is and the request was for that specific medical condition. It is all semantics. Parent seems to be more concerned about lost court time effecting a possible scholarship, I think the pregnancy would effect a possible scholarship more. A halfway decent lawyer should be able beat the lawsuit for the district.
True10
True10
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedi Mind Tricks 12/8/2009, 8:46 pm

What about strictly a team performance issue? Doesn't the coach have the liberty to chose his most effective starting team? What if the girls would hesitate rushing into an area in which the pregnant girl was standing for fear of hurting the fetus? That type of hesitancy costs you games.

If the physical handicap restrictions are now fair game, what does a coach do when an armless kid wants to play volleyball, or a kid without legs wants to play soccer? What about when a mentally retarded adult wishes to be a heart surgeon?

And, who doubts for a second that when the girl did get jabbed in the belly by an inadvertent elbow, that the mother would be suing the coach and the district for endangering the fetus.

I hate to say it, but this country deserves every bit of grief it is getting. We are just to stupid as a society to deserve any better.

Jedi Mind Tricks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

HS coach - pregnant player issue Empty Sue the refs and oppponents too

Post by twotone 12/9/2009, 1:06 am

So does this girl sue the referee who lets her play in a game after she gets hit in the stomach and miscarries?
Does she sue the opposing player that spikes the ball that hits her in the belly or causes her to dive on the ground after the ball and makes her miscarry?
I mean, the refs are charged with player safety right? and the other team does try to win the game right?
Imagine if this were a soccer player that was subbed into a game and the ball hit her in the gut.......not a good thing.

twotone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by DadofDefense 12/9/2009, 10:35 am

That is the funniest thing I have read in this forum!
DadofDefense
DadofDefense
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by True10 12/9/2009, 2:10 pm

Jedi Mind Tricks wrote:
I hate to say it, but this country deserves every bit of grief it is getting. We are just to stupid as a society to deserve any better.

It is not the country as a whole. I work in the school system and this is a case of the squeaky wheel getting the attention as the other wheels are also falling off. I have been in schools where girls get pregnant and gracefully drops sports altogether and others come back after birth. It is just a small segment of school age girls. An average 5A HS has about 2000 students and in the worst years you will have 20 pregnant students that is 1% of the total school. Of those 20 it will only effect 3-4 female athletes. In no way do I minimize teen pregnancy but unless the parent(s) want the attention and/or compensation, the problem is usually swept under the table.

Blame the individuals not society as a whole.
True10
True10
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/9/2009, 2:38 pm

Well the first problem is the teenage girl being pregnant. Maybe the parents should have been a little more proactive before she became pregnant. Now that she is I think the coach and school should have her get a Dr. note. The same phsycotic parents pushing for her to play would be the same ones suing if she got hurt. Wow. I have a no good grades no play policy for my kids. I wonder what the policy is for pregnancy?
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by True10 12/9/2009, 4:59 pm

go99 wrote:Well the first problem is the teenage girl being pregnant. Maybe the parents should have been a little more proactive before she became pregnant. Now that she is I think the coach and school should have her get a Dr. note. The same phsycotic parents pushing for her to play would be the same ones suing if she got hurt. Wow. I have a no good grades no play policy for my kids. I wonder what the policy is for pregnancy?

The doctor's note is the main issue. The coach wanted a doctor's note to clear her to play. The sex discrimination lawsuit is based on this request because she is pregnant and the request cannot be a gender specific request. Since males cannot get pregnant to my knowledge, the coaches request violates federal law. I feel the parents are nut jobs because what self respecting parent would want it nationally known that their teenage daughter was not only pregnant but also suing the school dristrict for showing concern for their daughter. HS coach - pregnant player issue Icon_rolleyes
True10
True10
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by b0013 12/9/2009, 6:01 pm

True10 wrote:
go99 wrote:Well the first problem is the teenage girl being pregnant. Maybe the parents should have been a little more proactive before she became pregnant. Now that she is I think the coach and school should have her get a Dr. note. The same phsycotic parents pushing for her to play would be the same ones suing if she got hurt. Wow. I have a no good grades no play policy for my kids. I wonder what the policy is for pregnancy?

The doctor's note is the main issue. The coach wanted a doctor's note to clear her to play. The sex discrimination lawsuit is based on this request because she is pregnant and the request cannot be a gender specific request. Since males cannot get pregnant to my knowledge, the coaches request violates federal law. I feel the parents are nut jobs because what self respecting parent would want it nationally known that their teenage daughter was not only pregnant but also suing the school dristrict for showing concern for their daughter. HS coach - pregnant player issue Icon_rolleyes

My first thought when watching the news video story was....that mom is a nut case ..
b0013
b0013
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/9/2009, 9:29 pm

also my thoughts "nut case". Could they claim that it is not gender specific but condition specific? Much like concussions in many sports. You can get bumps, bruises and knocks and still play. Get a concussion and you have to be cleared by a doctor. Pregnancy being the condition that requires a doctors note. Anyone who becomes pregnant must be cleared to play regardless of gender. It is silly but seems to fall in line with with the thinking. Much like maternity leave is now not gender specific.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedi Mind Tricks 12/9/2009, 10:15 pm

True10 wrote:
Jedi Mind Tricks wrote:

It is not the country as a whole. I work in the school system and this is a case of the squeaky wheel getting the attention as the other wheels are also falling off. I have been in schools where girls get pregnant and gracefully drops sports altogether and others come back after birth. It is just a small segment of school age girls. An average 5A HS has about 2000 students and in the worst years you will have 20 pregnant students that is 1% of the total school. Of those 20 it will only effect 3-4 female athletes. In no way do I minimize teen pregnancy but unless the parent(s) want the attention and/or compensation, the problem is usually swept under the table.

Gonna differ with you. If we were a normal society, this type of situation would never happen. We are so "politically correct" and insipid weaklings when it comes to electing and appointing people with a backbone who actually protect our society, welfare, and tax dollars. Before our life is over, some nut-job male student will get impregnated using taxpayer dollars, and sue to play volleyball with girls. Of course, by then our school boards and State will be so afraid of being sued for violating some new transgender Constitutional protection, that they will probably fire the white heterosexual male that was accidentally hired to be the coach if they opposed the nut-job's request.

Jedi Mind Tricks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/9/2009, 11:09 pm

protect our society from what? HS coach - pregnant player issue Suspect Relax a bit, just because Rush and Glen Beck say it doesn't mean that it's true. Remember watch Fox soccer channel not Fox news
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Tequilapark 12/10/2009, 12:14 am

Jedi Mind Tricks wrote:
True10 wrote:
Jedi Mind Tricks wrote:

Gonna differ with you. If we were a normal society, this type of situation would never happen. We are so "politically correct" and insipid weaklings when it comes to electing and appointing people with a backbone who actually protect our society, welfare, and tax dollars. Before our life is over, some nut-job male student will get impregnated using taxpayer dollars, and sue to play volleyball with girls. Of course, by then our school boards and State will be so afraid of being sued for violating some new transgender Constitutional protection, that they will probably fire the white heterosexual male that was accidentally hired to be the coach if they opposed the nut-job's request.

In a normal society, every individual should have the right to question authority and demand equal treatment, I dont necesarely agree with the lawsuit in this case, but I do agree that the student has rights and she should be heard.
Tequilapark
Tequilapark
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aswan 12/10/2009, 9:26 am

In a normal society, every individual should have the right to question authority and demand equal treatment, I dont necesarely agree with the lawsuit in this case, but I do agree that the student has rights and she should be heard.

Exactly my point. These things are more complicated than sound-bite analysts would have you believe. Thankfully, we have left the days of the scarlet letter behind us. In this case, the coach had no right to “out” her pregnancy. She should have enjoyed the rights of privacy, at least until she exercised her alternate right to make an announcement on ESPN or, optionally, eventually yielded the pretense of hiding a basketball under her jersey. Then, and only then, should reference have been made to her non-gender-specific medical condition, and such references should have been made solely for the purposes of making reasonable accommodation. Possibly, a Lamaze mat could have been set up in one corner for her.
Aswan
Aswan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by True10 12/10/2009, 10:11 am

What the heck is a normal society? I will not take Eden or utopia as an answer. HS coach - pregnant player issue Icon_scratch
True10
True10
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by The German 12/10/2009, 10:30 am

True10 wrote:What the heck is a normal society? I will not take Eden or utopia as an answer. HS coach - pregnant player issue Icon_scratch
It's a society where the bling rules and people with the bling are able to change the rules to their liking and get 2 teams ... - sorry different thread.
The German
The German
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by True10 12/10/2009, 1:20 pm

The German wrote:
True10 wrote:What the heck is a normal society? I will not take Eden or utopia as an answer. HS coach - pregnant player issue Icon_scratch
It's a society where the bling rules and people with the bling are able to change the rules to their liking and get 2 teams ... - sorry different thread.
HS coach - pregnant player issue Icon_lol HS coach - pregnant player issue Icon_lol HS coach - pregnant player issue Icon_lol
True10
True10
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/10/2009, 2:59 pm

The German wrote:
Lol. Good one
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedi Mind Tricks 12/10/2009, 5:54 pm

go99 wrote:protect our society from what? HS coach - pregnant player issue Suspect Relax a bit, just because Rush and Glen Beck say it doesn't mean that it's true. Remember watch Fox soccer channel not Fox news
Not meaning to offend, its just that in the trenches I've seen too many good people put on a frying pan by some lunatic w/ a baseless claim. And, the frequency and outrageous nature of the suits seems to have no limit. What if you or one of yours was on the hot seat for something this dumb? People have lives, mortgages, children, and years of reputation at stake. Not going to quibble with you about that America, you can have it. Just leave the other one for me and mine.

Jedi Mind Tricks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/10/2009, 7:12 pm

I agree we have screwed our own society. A case of spilled hot coffee leads to a case against Mcdonalds. The same thing goes before the courts in England and the judge throws it out stating, "everyone knows coffee is hot" Personal responsibility has been replaced by who can I blame and how much can I get paid.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedi Mind Tricks 12/10/2009, 10:39 pm

No, we are for sure describing an Orwellian dystopia.

Jedi Mind Tricks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next