Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Referee that Got Punched by a Player Dies Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Referee that Got Punched by a Player Dies

4 posters

Go down

Referee that Got Punched by a Player Dies Empty Referee that Got Punched by a Player Dies

Post by b0013 5/7/2013, 2:12 pm

From http://www.soccerclassroom.com/

""When the story first hit the headlines my first reaction was to pray. Not only was this an innocent man who was fulfilling his passion for doing what he loves, but he was also a husband and a father; a true family man. It only took one mistake of a one teenager to take all of that away. It’s stories like this that make me questions sometimes why we call it “the beautiful game.” There is no room for this in soccer, our world’s national sport.

Soccer for many (especially at the recreational level) should be a place to deviate from the anomalies of life. The soccer field is a place where you can play stress free and open. When you are on the field the only thing you are thinking about are the goals of the game; and nothing else matters. “Soccer is an art and the pitch is its canvas.” – MT

Today, for me, the pitch was painted black, we lost one of our own.

Utah soccer referee Ricardo Portillo passed away on Saturday in the hospital after being in a coma for several days. The referee got punched by one of the players after he had given him a yellow card. The teenage goalie was given a card for pushing an opposing forward. While Portillo was writing him into his book he got sucker punched in the side of the head. At first, Portillo seemed fine but shortly after asked to be held because he felt dizzy. He sat down and began to vomit blood, an ambulance quickly called to the field.

When the ambulance got to the field the teenage goalie had fled the scene and Portillo was found on the ground in the fetal position. Portillo told the EMT’s that he had some pain in his face and back. He had no visible injuries and was omitted in fair condition. However, when he got to the hospital he slipped into a coma due to swelling of the brain. The detectives were notified that his condition had worsened and the search for the teenage goalie was initiated. The teenagers father agreed to bring his son to the station.

Portillo’s family said that their father had been attacked in the league before, they begged him to stop refereeing. His daughter Johanna said, “It was his passion. We could not tell him no.”

I’m surround but a lot of my own questions. I have been getting texts and emails from dozens of people asking if I heard the story about the referee who was punched, sent to a coma, and taken into the hands of God. This is a story that has shocked millions of people who aren’t even involved with the game of soccer. Why? What would motivate a player on the field to act so maliciously? This story has hit me really hard because this could have been any one of us. Whether you are a coach, a player, a fan or a parent, today I ask that you honor this man, Ricardo Portillo. Play for peace, pray for peace. Rest easy.""

More Info: http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/usa/story/police-say-utah-referee-punched-by-player-during-game-dies-050513
b0013
b0013
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Referee that Got Punched by a Player Dies Empty Re: Referee that Got Punched by a Player Dies

Post by skillzski 5/7/2013, 3:59 pm

Me and my family were heartbroken when we heard this. These types of retaliatory behaviors begin at young ages. I realize and see every weekend that there is a big disconnect going on in the younger age groups between referees and overly aggressive players with poor attitudes and behaviors on the pitch. A few weeks ago my BB played in a game where the other team was intentionally going after our kids by tackling from behind, elbowing above the shoulders, etc. a parent said to the referee "you need to give a card" after one kid was just laid out from behind. The referee said I do not give cards at this age - U10. Literally 3 minutes later the referee warned the same kid for taking out another kid, then the kid talked trash to referee and proceeded to kick the ball at him. And Wow, he gave him a card. I guess mid game the referee had a change of heart on giving cards. He proceeded to give 8 yellows and finally a red with a minute to go in the match. My point is this.....if kids at younger ages are not clearly told that these types of behaviors are unacceptable, then they believe that it is approved and acceptable. Cards at younger ages if deserved will send a message to the kids, coaches, and parents that reckless and inappropriate play is not tolerated and that there are consequences for these extreme actions as it does relate to safety of other players and respect of the game. This year I have witnessed broken shoulders, arms, and legs from kids at the U8-U10 level on just blatant physical hits or frivolous slide tackles after the ball has been played and 90% of the time no card is issued and the referee says play on.......I am sorry - stop the game and teach the kids what is right and what is wrong and if a card is deserved based on the rules of the game then give them out. Soccer is a physical sport, but we do not use shoulder pads, helmets, and pads here. Talking trash back to refs, intentionally kicking the ball at other players or referees after the play, and inappropriate hits have to be dealt with.
If kids are not taught lessons or held accountable at the young ages for their actions, we might see more of this retaliatory action in the future because they were trained and taught that it is ok to be aggressive or disrespectful because their was not a consequence when they were younger.
skillzski
skillzski
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Referee that Got Punched by a Player Dies Empty Re: Referee that Got Punched by a Player Dies

Post by moveyourfeet 5/7/2013, 4:41 pm

I was at a local girls U-17 game about a year ago (D'Feeters vs. Texas Spirit). I wanted to see a high level girls match
since I have a young one playing. The D'Feeter girls had played for the National Title the year before. Early in the match,
it was 0-0 and tensions were getting high with a little physical play (nothing dirty). A D'Feeter girl got a little too physical
and was called for a foul. She obviously disagreed and started to let the ref know it.

The D'Feeter head coach quickly yelled to his girl to zip it. And then he asked out loud, "Referee! Can I sub right now?"
The ref motioned "No." He said again, "I want to sub. I want to bench that player for talking back to you."
The center ref motioned and nodded to him. He subbed her out and never put her back in the game the rest of the night.

Very impressed at that coach for benching a starter in a tight game to make a point. I wish more coaches would make a
point to teach their players at an early age how to play the game properly and always respect the referee, even when you
disagree with his call.
moveyourfeet
moveyourfeet
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by allen04 5/8/2013, 9:29 am

.if kids at younger ages are not clearly told that these types of behaviors are unacceptable, then they believe that it is approved and acceptable. Cards at younger ages if deserved will send a message to the kids, coaches, and parents that reckless and inappropriate play is not tolerated and that there are consequences for these extreme actions as it does relate to safety of other players and respect of the game.

Exactly; and refs, coaches and parents that fail at understanding this are doing our kids a disservice. There are too many kids that know they can get away with dirty reckless play and will use it to their advantage at every opportunity and on the rare occasion they get called out for it they react in shock and anger waving their hands in the air like they didn't do anything to make the kid in front of them fall down.

allen04
allen04
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down