Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Beware: Field turf/artificial turf & allergic reactions Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Beware: Field turf/artificial turf & allergic reactions

+9
abc123
RatFink
soccer23
hookem
Speedy Gonzales
my2cents
mrclean
go99
Fabiano9
13 posters

Go down

Beware: Field turf/artificial turf & allergic reactions Empty Beware: Field turf/artificial turf & allergic reactions

Post by Fabiano9 11/30/2010, 6:02 pm

Last night, during a middle school soccer game, my son fell to the turf at Franklin Field in Dallas. His left knee also slammed into the ground, causing a sprained MCL. He laid on the turf, facedown for about two minutes, as the trainers attended to his knee. He limped off, was given crutches and we were on our way.

Upon arriving home about 30 minutes after the game, we noticed red, raised bumps on his forehead. Thinking nothing of it and being more worried about his knee, we went to bed. When we awoke, we found my sons face looked like a boxer after a heavyweight fight; both his eyes were puffy, with one being almost completely shut and his face was covered with more red bumps.

This morning, my son's orthopaedic dr was more concerned with his face then his knee and recommended we go to the ER. A ct-scan was performed on his head and it was normal. The ER dr was pretty sure that he had developed contact dermatitis from rubbing his face on the turf or he might even have ingested some of the loose pellets from the turf.

My son and I both agree that his middle school soccer playing days are done and he will not be playing on any turf fields anytime soon. Thank god we have great grass fields like Richland, PHP, etc and we do not have to use these crappy turf fields.

I looked up on google and found the following article about the possible hazards of artificial turfs: http://www.njwec.org/images/pdf's/fact-artificialterf.pdf

Anyone else have any close encounters like this?

Fabiano9
Fabiano9
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Beware: Field turf/artificial turf & allergic reactions Empty Re: Beware: Field turf/artificial turf & allergic reactions

Post by go99 11/30/2010, 7:50 pm

BB had the same thing from sole roll on 2 seperate occasions. His Dr said it was probably mold from the artificial turf. He not only had the bumps but also difficulty breathing
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Beware: Field turf/artificial turf & allergic reactions Empty Re: Beware: Field turf/artificial turf & allergic reactions

Post by mrclean 11/30/2010, 8:06 pm

I've never heard of this but people have many sensitivities or allergies to a number of substances so it doesn't surprise me. I actually prefer the artificial surface for high school soccer because the fields are impossible to maintain when there are four games a week from January through March. I have seen just as many injuries on the mudpits at cold rainy games than I have on the artifical turf fields.

As a high school science teacher/soccer coach, I have been following the artifical surface debate for years. In my opinion, the studies are mixed. If you read several, you will find this also. The EPA is looking into the lead and VOC possibilities, but at this time the levels are not considered to be a threat. Again, reading the scientific literature, such as from the EPA is helpful.

ACL conditioning exercise are important regardless of the surface.
Trying to place a hazard on turf fields is somewhat difficult when we are exposed to so many different substances including VOC's on a daily basis.

http://www.epa.gov/nerl/features/tire_crumbs.html
mrclean
mrclean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 12/1/2010, 10:11 am

Had heard of lead concerns but not this. Just curious, how old is that field? Wonder if age factors in with the dust, dirt, etc. that must settle into the surface?

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12/1/2010, 11:03 am

I always try to remember to give my bb allergy meds before an indoor game. SoleRoll, etc. makes his eyes swell, etc. We assumed it was the dust and mold in the old turfs, too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Speedy Gonzales 12/1/2010, 12:04 pm

Same thing could happen on a grass field for those who suffer from allergies to grass, pollen, etc. Hazards abound everywhere, including our own homes. We can protect them them best we can but I don't think withdrawing from soccer or refusing to play on an artificial surface is the answer. What if you are required to play on artificial during a tournament? Are you just going to leave his team hanging? Will he not play in high school either, where many fields are turf?
Speedy Gonzales
Speedy Gonzales
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabiano9 12/1/2010, 1:53 pm

I'm not as concerned about grass pollen as I am about the chemicals used in the tires that are used to make these turf fields. I was skeptical before this incident about the materials used to construct these fields, but now I am a firm believer that these fields are unhealthy for our kids.

I'd like to see any non-believer sit down pluck some blades of grass from one of the Richland fields or your front yard and munch on them, then do the same at a turf field (including the rubber pellets. I guarantee you that many of you would not take me up on that study, because it would be unhealthy to eat those rubber pellets and blades of fake grass.

Yes, it's an old argument that an airplane could fall out of the sky and kill you at any time, but the truth is, that my son's face is proof that there are toxins in those fields that can cause some pretty serious allergic reactions.
Fabiano9
Fabiano9
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hookem 12/1/2010, 2:27 pm

Fabiano9 wrote:I'm not as concerned about grass pollen as I am about the chemicals used in the tires that are used to make these turf fields. I was skeptical before this incident about the materials used to construct these fields, but now I am a firm believer that these fields are unhealthy for our kids.

I'd like to see any non-believer sit down pluck some blades of grass from one of the Richland fields or your front yard and munch on them, then do the same at a turf field (including the rubber pellets. I guarantee you that many of you would not take me up on that study, because it would be unhealthy to eat those rubber pellets and blades of fake grass.

Yes, it's an old argument that an airplane could fall out of the sky and kill you at any time, but the truth is, that my son's face is proof that there are toxins in those fields that can cause some pretty serious allergic reactions.

ROFL! hellicoper much? There are thousands of games played on turf fields every single day. Because .00000000000000001% of the population may have an allergy to rubber/plastic does not warrant this level of 'cry me a river'. Unhealthy for our kids...too rich. You had better start home schooling..there may be peanut butter in the cafeteria.
hookem
hookem
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Speedy Gonzales 12/1/2010, 2:51 pm

Fabiano9 wrote:I'm not as concerned about grass pollen as I am about the chemicals used in the tires that are used to make these turf fields. I was skeptical before this incident about the materials used to construct these fields, but now I am a firm believer that these fields are unhealthy for our kids.

I'm not saying your concern is not warranted or that your kid didn't have a serious reaction to the field but are you going to refuse to change a flat or allow him to change a flat because of the same toxins in the rubber tires which is exactly what those little black pellets are made of--recycled tires? I'm just saying there are many dangers in a scary world and we can't shelter them from all of them. Is a lawsuit in the works because the school didn't and couldn't have foreseen your child's particular unusual reaction to the field?
Speedy Gonzales
Speedy Gonzales
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/1/2010, 3:06 pm

BB's Dr was very clear. He said the reaction was to the mold in the artificial turf. He gave us a prescription for it just incase it happens again.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Speedy Gonzales 12/1/2010, 3:53 pm

go99 wrote:BB's Dr was very clear. He said the reaction was to the mold in the artificial turf. He gave us a prescription for it just incase it happens again.
My point exactly. We can keep them from the dangers we can't control. For the things we can, like allergies and mold toxins, we get a prescription and let them enjoy the game. "Contact dermatitis" just means an inflammation of the skin from this particular contact or encounter. It's not a death sentence and may never happen again which is why your doctor gave you something "just in case it (does)".
Speedy Gonzales
Speedy Gonzales
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccer23 12/1/2010, 4:31 pm

Speedy Gonzales wrote:
go99 wrote:BB's Dr was very clear. He said the reaction was to the mold in the artificial turf. He gave us a prescription for it just incase it happens again.
My point exactly. We can keep them from the dangers we can't control. For the things we can, like allergies and mold toxins, we get a prescription and let them enjoy the game. "Contact dermatitis" just means an inflammation of the skin from this particular contact or encounter. It's not a death sentence and may never happen again which is why your doctor gave you something "just in case it (does)".

A doctor AND a lawyer (but not "that kind of lawyer") all in one!! That's a lot of schooling speedy. lol!

soccer23
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Speedy Gonzales 12/1/2010, 5:27 pm

soccer23 wrote:

A doctor AND a lawyer (but not "that kind of lawyer") all in one!! That's a lot of schooling speedy. lol!

I am in fact a doctor. My law degree says so--"Juris Doctor". I'm just not the kind of doctor you are referring to. I don't need to be to have common sense. Different people are allergic or sensitive to different things. That doesn't make those things bad for all people. As a lawyer, I know what dermatitis is--it's what most people get when they touch a lawyer or any other offensive object.
Speedy Gonzales
Speedy Gonzales
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by RatFink 12/1/2010, 6:52 pm

I didn't know you could get prescriptions for genetic imbalances? Maybe you could get another that keeps your lips from moving or perhaps stops you from typing. I'm sure we would all pitch in for those. We'll even throw in a new Brasil outfit.

RatFink
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by abc123 12/1/2010, 8:08 pm

Fabiano9 wrote:Last night, during a middle school soccer game, my son fell to the turf at Franklin Field in Dallas. His left knee also slammed into the ground, causing a sprained MCL. He laid on the turf, facedown for about two minutes, as the trainers attended to his knee. He limped off, was given crutches and we were on our way.

Upon arriving home about 30 minutes after the game, we noticed red, raised bumps on his forehead. Thinking nothing of it and being more worried about his knee, we went to bed. When we awoke, we found my sons face looked like a boxer after a heavyweight fight; both his eyes were puffy, with one being almost completely shut and his face was covered with more red bumps.

This morning, my son's orthopaedic dr was more concerned with his face then his knee and recommended we go to the ER. A ct-scan was performed on his head and it was normal. The ER dr was pretty sure that he had developed contact dermatitis from rubbing his face on the turf or he might even have ingested some of the loose pellets from the turf.

My son and I both agree that his middle school soccer playing days are done and he will not be playing on any turf fields anytime soon. Thank god we have great grass fields like Richland, PHP, etc and we do not have to use these crappy turf fields.

I looked up on google and found the following article about the possible hazards of artificial turfs: http://www.njwec.org/images/pdf's/fact-artificialterf.pdf

Anyone else have any close encounters like this?

Next time this occurs, simply tell him that the telemundo cameras are not present and that he needs to stand up.

abc123
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 12/1/2010, 9:26 pm

RatFink wrote:

I didn't know you could get prescriptions for genetic imbalances? Maybe you could get another that keeps your lips from moving or perhaps stops you from typing. I'm sure we would all pitch in for those. We'll even throw in a new Brasil outfit.

Oh that's funny. Saying my BB has a genetic imbalance. Big man to hide behind a keyboard and say mean things about an 11 yr old. I told you before, any grievance you have against me and bb you are welcome to bring to me. Not even sure why you are on this thread. Nothing to add to the topic and I in no way addressed you. But since you are going on me and BB why don't you let us know who you are so we can level the field. I am man enough to stand behind everything I say, can't say the same for you.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by RatFink 12/1/2010, 9:41 pm

I'm happy you saw the humor in it. Now tell your bb to stop spending so much time on the turf inhaling mold and all will be well.

RatFink
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by forbin 12/1/2010, 9:44 pm

go99 wrote:
RatFink wrote:

Oh that's funny. Saying my BB has a genetic imbalance. Big man to hide behind a keyboard and say mean things about an 11 yr old. I told you before, any grievance you have against me and bb you are welcome to bring to me. Not even sure why you are on this thread. Nothing to add to the topic and I in no way addressed you. But since you are going on me and BB why don't you let us know who you are so we can level the field. I am man enough to stand behind everything I say, can't say the same for you.

I think the rat has some imbalances of his own to worry about, maybe something hormonal going on. He seems obsessed with you and some others on this forum Go, so if you ever end up in the same cell don't drop the soap.

forbin
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 12/2/2010, 8:35 am

Inwood resurfaced their main field recently. Very nice. Play starts this weekend.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by texastea 12/2/2010, 6:17 pm

We have the same allergy issues with turf. I figured it was the rubber pellets. They smell pretty bad. lol We just tell him to tuck, roll and hop up as quickly as possible.

texastea
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by FlatBack4 12/3/2010, 6:45 am

RatFink wrote:I'm happy you saw the humor in it. Now tell your bb to stop spending so much time on the turf inhaling mold and all will be well.

Yeah... Mold... dried saliva, dried blood, dried sweat, dried vomit and the occaisional dried snot rocket.

I have heard of "staff infection" concerns on outdoor, artificial football fields because of the blood on the fields, but weather plays a big part in keeping the fields safer. I have no idea what indoor facilities do. I suspect, they do nothing.

Any thoughts on this? Any doctors to validate the concerns?
FlatBack4
FlatBack4
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12/3/2010, 1:33 pm

The staff is infected? They go to work when they're sick? Just teasing you...think you mean, "staph" infection.

Back to top Go down

Post by FlatBack4 12/3/2010, 4:35 pm

whyme wrote:The staff is infected? They go to work when they're sick? Just teasing you...think you mean, "staph" infection.

I won't even claim I screwed up. I don't think I've ever seen "staph infection" written anywhere. I've heard about it for years, but never seen it written. Now I know how to spell it. Thx.
FlatBack4
FlatBack4
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 12/3/2010, 9:12 pm

FlatBack4 wrote:
RatFink wrote:I'm happy you saw the humor in it. Now tell your bb to stop spending so much time on the turf inhaling mold and all will be well.

Yeah... Mold... dried saliva, dried blood, dried sweat, dried vomit and the occaisional dried snot rocket.

I have heard of "staff infection" concerns on outdoor, artificial football fields because of the blood on the fields, but weather plays a big part in keeping the fields safer. I have no idea what indoor facilities do. I suspect, they do nothing.

Any thoughts on this? Any doctors to validate the concerns?

Im not a doctor but have a son who is very prone to staph infections. Staph is a bacteria and is present on everyones skin. Some people have more than others. When we are unfortunate enough to have staph enter a wound then the resulting infection occurs. I don't believe staph is blood transmitted (pathoginic ?) nor would it survive long on a synthetic surface.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down