Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

94 Class In College Soccer Updates - Page 4 Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

94 Class In College Soccer Updates

+29
soccerrus2
noob
switch
Dropball
Blitzed
DZaltron
Number13
Mom96keeper
Rock
DragonStryker
Rightback
omega striker
finish1
Yak Attack
davito
indyfc
debit
rqps
Ed
my2cents
go99
PG-Boy
soccergrinder
Laimport
tiger19
starbuck
tpitty
Soccerinsanity
Soccernovice
33 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

94 Class In College Soccer Updates - Page 4 Empty Re: 94 Class In College Soccer Updates

Post by Rightback 6/27/2012, 4:38 am

As I recalls, D1 schools can only have, by NCAA rules, 9.99 scholarships out at a time for the entire program (all undergraduates). That means, generally speaking, coaches are loathe to offer 'full soccer scholorships' to anyone and prefer to mix in a little sports money with something else...academics being the norm. Also, most programs want their soccer programs to contribute to the athletic GPA having already surrendered a lot of ground in football and basketball. NCAI schools have a lot more wiggle room and are allowed a lot more international players.

It has been a couple of years since I reviewed the rules but that is how I remember it. Also struck me that soccer coaches recruited players on the basis they would get to play...and that many schools hoped to bring in tuition paying athletes for the most part.

Problem is that you may not have an ambition for your kid to go to Akron or central Arkansas or Dakota Wesleyn...D1 soccer programs are not necessarily someplace you want to go to school if you get good grades...so there is the rub.

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

94 Class In College Soccer Updates - Page 4 Empty Re: 94 Class In College Soccer Updates

Post by DragonStryker 6/27/2012, 8:42 am

Having played a similar sport in college at the D1 level where full athletic scholarships were a rarity for even the very best players (golf), I can tell you that academics matters a LOT and will garner a boy a scholarship offer to play their sport of choice over a more talented player if their grades are substantially better (or they have equivalent grades but went to a much better school).

I was ranked in the top 50 in the southeast region going into my junior year of high school and had scholarship offers from more or less every school in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee (D1 and DII schools). I also got a few calls from as far away as Arizona and California.

All of that took a TON of work on my part and my parents part however. I started attending camps put on my college coaches in 7th grade and went to three to five every summer and by the time I was a sophomore all the coaches knew me by name. I started writing letters to the coaches I met at those schools updating them on my results as soon as I got home from camp and continued that all through high school. During my Sophomore year, I picked out the schools I was most interested in and started focusing on those coaches, inviting them to tournaments I was playing in, updating them on my results, thanking them for coming to a tournament if I happened to see them in the gallery. And I included my grades (and later my PSAT and SAT scores) in those letters.

I can tell you when a coach gets a series of letters letting him know a kid is interested in his school, is highly ranked, and has excellent grades (3.8 gpa from a highly ranked high school and 1400+ SAT), you're going to get a call back. And I had a lot more offers than others on my same high school team who have gone on to far superior careers in golf than I did (I play maybe twice a year now, teammates of mine from high school are presently making 7 figures on the PGA tour). I wasn't better than them, I simply had much better grades and marketed myself better.

Same applies in soccer and every others sport outside of Baseball, Basketball, and Football (american). Can't overstate how important grades are if you want to play a sport (again outside of Baseball, Basketball, and/or Football) in college.
DragonStryker
DragonStryker
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 6/27/2012, 8:43 am

Most people don't realize that the top NAIA programs are equal or better than most midlevel D1 programs. In a few cases they would even rival top 10 D1 programs. NAIA schools also have more scholarships available.

Even within the NCAA there is a substantial overlap in team quality between the divisions. Although it isn't as prevalent as it was 5-10 years ago. Mainly because so many former D2 programs have moved up to D1.

And then there are a handful of junior colleges that can and do regularly beat D1 programs.

So, the talent pool in college soccer becomes highly diluted. There are plenty of potential professional caliber players at lesser known, smaller d2, d3, naia and even juco programs.

The vast majority of players, especially those that aren't part of the youth national teams or from lesser known clubs, are going to end up playing and attending school where they get the most financial aid and have a reasonable chance of actually playing.

A perfect example of this type of player is Clint Dempsey.

He wasn't highly recruited. Don't even think he made regional ODP pools or teams.

And he's arguably this country's best attacking player.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 6/27/2012, 8:48 am

dragonslayer, completely agree with what you're saying. A player, no matter how good, has to market himself to college coaches.

I do disagree with the baseball comparison. I'm pretty sure baseball has the same number of scholarships soccer does. Same with track.

So only throwball and basketball players get full rides.

Unless that's changed in the last few years.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonStryker 6/27/2012, 9:04 am

Laimport wrote:dragonslayer, completely agree with what you're saying. A player, no matter how good, has to market himself to college coaches.

I do disagree with the baseball comparison. I'm pretty sure baseball has the same number of scholarships soccer does. Same with track.

So only throwball and basketball players get full rides.

Unless that's changed in the last few years.

You're absolutely right, I'd only had experience with kids that were highly recruited and drafted right out of high school but 30 seconds on google proved you correct, 11.7 baseball scholarships available for D1 schools.
DragonStryker
DragonStryker
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccernovice 6/27/2012, 11:49 am

Starbuck you are correct Dallas Baptist only has academic scholarships.

All players who will attend DI schools got a combination of athletic and academic scholarships. There are players in that group who got 100% scholarship (academic + athletic) can not provide list by school for obvious reasons. We have multiple players who will get mostly all athletic scholarship in DI (> 75%).

In DII commitments, besides Dallas Baptist the players got combination of athletic and academic scholarship totally 50% or greater of their college costs.

In DIII commitments, all academic scholarship money some got 100%.

Take Away for parents:

SAT and grades really matter a ton. There are tons of good choices for college coaches if grades and/or SAT are not good you are looking at DIII lower tier programs or Junior College. Sports marketing also really matters. Unless you have a coach, volunteer parent college recruiting coordinator and player who work as a cohesive unit to network and show well(team is real good, player is real good, and grades are good), a player may not get the best visibility. We had all three working on our side in most cases which allowed us to effectively place all players who wanted to play in college and obtain scholarships which will pay anywhere from 1/3 to 100% of their college education in most cases.

You can be on a top team, but if you lack the active interest and support of your coach, a great college recruiting coordinator (volunteer parent), and a student who has his act together (grades and actively participates in recruiting process), the players may end up with not very good options for college soccer.

Beware of a parent volunteer college recruiting coordinator who talks to every coach on the sideline of showcase events about their son. You need a college recruiting coordinator who really cares about every player helping them reach their college recruiting goals. That is how a club team can do well in helping its players get great college soccer opportunities without having all the visibility of an USSF DA team.
Soccernovice
Soccernovice
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 6/27/2012, 12:13 pm

Speaking of USSF DA players, I think in most cases only their top 4-5 players (with some exceptions) are really at that top tier, 'elite' d1 level.

The rest are in the same boat as everyone else from the club side. Second tier and lower collegiate programs.

Now, it may be true that in the DFW market, the DA teams may actually have 80-90% (or some variation) of the very top players. Elsewhere, especially the states with few DA clubs, that certainly isn't the case.

Maybe soccernovice can answer this. I'm curious as to the viability and player participation in the ODP program. Not in the early years, but U15, 16 and 17 age groups.

Does it still mean anything to have Regional pool/team on a players' resume? Especially with regard to college coaches? (I know this doesn't apply to DA players...they don't participate.)

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccernovice 6/27/2012, 12:45 pm

No those credentials don't mean alot. Here is what the coaches asked me on the sideline:

1. Who would be a good fit for my program? I tell them GPA and SAT and player interest
2. Is player XYZ committed after watching our team play? They picked out specific player who they felt would fit their program and want to know more about that player - I tell them about their GPA, SAT, and player interest - If coach is really interested, they pursue player directly and with coach
3. While watching our team play, who is not committed on the team? I tell them all the players and answer any questions they have
4. Coach comes to watch specific player(s) who wrote them, they ask tell me more about player XYZ?

I never heard any coach mention any credentials the player has (ODP, etc.) as the reason why they came to see a player or liked a player on the field. The coaches come to watch teams play with great reputation (word gets around from coach to coach) and watch players who wrote them where there is a potential match in GPA, SAT, player interest and college program needs. For example, coach needs a Forward. They will come watch Forwards who have written them that may be potential fits for their program and they will watch some great teams play with uncommitted Forwards.

For DI coaches, they are looking for pure athletic ability (incredible speed or technical skill). Example, DI coaches sees non-committed play score goal after beating defense with incredible speed. DI coach comes back to every game and watches the whole games then pursue player with full scholarship offer.
Soccernovice
Soccernovice
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccergrinder 6/27/2012, 12:56 pm

Laimport wrote:Does it still mean anything to have Regional pool/team on a players' resume? Especially with regard to college coaches? (I know this doesn't apply to DA players...they don't participate.)

Laimport,

Several years ago, before DA, I asked several (3) D1 college coaches that exact question. They were coaches that had actually coached in ODP. Their response was no. Their opinion was that ODP had become too political and was being run as a money making venture. Bottom line was the player and grades. All the other stuff is great for the press release but didn't sway them on their decisions.
soccergrinder
soccergrinder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 6/27/2012, 1:01 pm

Very interesting. Especially regarding 'player pedigree'. Although I'm sure if a player has been to national camp that garners some attention.

One thing for us purists to deal with is the majority of college soccer is ugly and fast. You rarely see teams string together 5 or more consecutive passes.

It's great to have superior 'athletic ability' but does a player first touch land in another zip code?

I've also always heard that grades were just as important to coaches. They rarely take a chance on a player that is a marginal student.

Thats great that coaches actually make offers. Instead of the kid asking for 'what they will get' in terms of money.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 6/27/2012, 1:03 pm

Thanks grinder. You just convinced me once and for all to not consider ODP as a viable exposure tool.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccernovice 6/27/2012, 1:15 pm

My experience is if the coach is really interested in a player they will pull together an offer package to convince that student to attend their school. We had one DI coach who wanted to fly our player out immediately to their campus after the showcase to try to lock that player down ASAP. In this case the player already had a full scholarship offer from someone else but waited to commit, once the coaches find out you have a really good player they come out of the wood work actively recruiting that player to their school. This player actually decided to go to the 2nd program that offered a full scholarship. He really liked the campus and program tradition plus good academic fit to boot.
Soccernovice
Soccernovice
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rock 6/27/2012, 1:17 pm

soccergrinder wrote:
Laimport wrote:Does it still mean anything to have Regional pool/team on a players' resume? Especially with regard to college coaches? (I know this doesn't apply to DA players...they don't participate.)

Laimport,

Several years ago, before DA, I asked several (3) D1 college coaches that exact question. They were coaches that had actually coached in ODP. Their response was no. Their opinion was that ODP had become too political and was being run as a money making venture. Bottom line was the player and grades. All the other stuff is great for the press release but didn't sway them on their decisions.

Interesting. We were at a college ID camp recently with quite a few DII and DIII and a few NAIA coaches. I asked about the ODP factor and pretty much every coach I asked said they are more likely to follow up with a player that has ODP experience on their resume. The higher level the better. It didn't seem like it was a deal breaker, but helps a player resume get noticed.

Rock
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 6/27/2012, 1:23 pm

I find it odd that college coaches would say that concerning ODP when absolutely every college questionaire spcifically asks about ODP and National pools or teams. Of course it is not going to sway their decision , nor will any other resume filler if you can't get it done on the field. I can tell you this that my soon was contacted by multiple D1 and many lower schools after attending the ODP Interegional. College coaches have told my son when he asked about DA that they only go once or twice because it is always the same top 14 players on the field. If you are them fine, but if not college coaches don't see you. Bottom line is it depends on the coach, the talent of the player and without good grades no one is touching you.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccergrinder 6/27/2012, 2:17 pm

Laimport wrote:Thanks grinder. You just convinced me once and for all to not consider ODP as a viable exposure tool.

Laimport,

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that some coaches don't look at ODP. I am just saying that whether you do or don't have it is not a deciding factor.

my2cents,

I can't say for all DA teams but Solar was not run that way. Showcase tournaments were used to showcase ALL players and ALL players played and started games. Maybe that's one of the reasons they have such a high college placement rate. MLS clubs may be different because they are not geared toward getting players into college. I am sure most D1 colleges only go once or twice since there are only 2 DA showcase tournaments a year. However, I would be concerned with a coach from a D1 school who thinks there are 14 players on the field. cheers

soccergrinder
soccergrinder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccergrinder 6/27/2012, 2:48 pm

Being the manager for the Solar U18 DA team and therefore the defacto college recruiting liason for them I would say my experience is very close to novice's and he has sound advice. It's great that AYSES has a college coordinator and I would think that having one helps tremendously.

For the Solar U18 DA team I used a little different approach. It went like this.

A: All players need to send out emails to at least 20 coaches at least two weeks prior to the showcase tournament. Let them know you are interested in them and find out if they will be at your showcase tournament and what other showcase tournaments they plan to attend. This process should start their freshman year. Make sure the players understand that the college picks you, you don't pick the college. Thus the 20 colleges contacted.

B: Have an awesome brochure printed. Something visually impressive. See Brochure Attached

C: Have two or three of your best looking, friendly soccer moms patrol the sidelines at the games and hand out brochures. The coaches are usually young males. Men like talking to pretty women.

D: Provide the moms with a clip board, a spreadsheet and pen. Take down the coaches name and what school he is from. Inquire who he is looking at. Be sure to document what game he is at and which half. I usually rotated so moms whose kid was playing watched the half, while the moms whose kid wasn't playing worked the sidelines. It rotated at halftime.

E: Moms are there to market the team and not their son.

F: After the showcase, tabulate all of the coaching information and send it out to the entire team.

G: Players need to send follow up emails to all coaches they contacted that were at the showcase and any other coach who expressed an interest within two days of the end of the tournament.

This process worked out very well for the team.

soccergrinder
soccergrinder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 6/27/2012, 4:34 pm

Thanks, Grinder! Good infor from you both! How did you decide who goes where on the brochure?
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 6/27/2012, 4:52 pm

soccergrinder wrote:
Laimport wrote:Thanks grinder. You just convinced me once and for all to not consider ODP as a viable exposure tool.

Laimport,

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that some coaches don't look at ODP. I am just saying that whether you do or don't have it is not a deciding factor.

my2cents,

I can't say for all DA teams but Solar was not run that way. Showcase tournaments were used to showcase ALL players and ALL players played and started games. Maybe that's one of the reasons they have such a high college placement rate. MLS clubs may be different because they are not geared toward getting players into college. I am sure most D1 colleges only go once or twice since there are only 2 DA showcase tournaments a year. However, I would be concerned with a coach from a D1 school who thinks there are 14 players on the field. cheers

lol!

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccergrinder 6/27/2012, 5:02 pm

The players are listed by their jersey number. This makes it easy and quick for the coaches to find the player in the brochure.

Player info was limited to a word count to assure similar quantity of info on each player. Remember the brochure serves two purposes. To represent the team first, the player second. No data was included that plots players against each other. Nothing like "Leading goal scorer" or " Leading passer". This breeds dissension within the team. Or at least between the parents.

GPA and possibly SAT scores should be included. A player not showing GPA is a red flag to a coach. Also, listing college commitments is a huge plus. For those already committed it shows the level of players on the team to the coaches. Coaches are very competitive with each other. Plus it makes it very easy for coaches to know who to look at. We usually would include a typed insert within the brochure for any new college commitments.

From my experience the biggest issue and the most time consuming part of the brochure is getting information from the families. And getting it in a way that makes it efficient to format in the given space for the brochure.

Always put it back on the families to proof read the copy and make them sign off on it. A couple of years ago on one of the brochures, after it was printed and we were handing it out, a parent came up to me and was furious because I had listed the graduation year wrong. They were screaming at me that I had ruined their sons chance at getting a scholarship. After the tournament I forwarded them the email where THEY had approved the copy with the wrong graduation year. The player ended up with a scholarship to an Ivy league college. So it worked out OK but not without some tension.

The cost of having the brochure designed was $350 and the printing (500) was around $400. So it came to about $30 per player. Well worth the money.

By the way, it helps if the moms handing out the brochures are somewhat educated on where the colleges are located. For example, I had some coaches from UCONN at one of the games, the mom didn't know that they played soccer in Alaska. affraid

soccergrinder
soccergrinder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccernovice 6/27/2012, 10:27 pm

Parents one key point I believe Soccergrinder and myself agree on is that your player needs to be on a top level team that plays good quality soccer (posseses the ball well with good soccer smarts). This significantly improves your players chances the coaches don't like to watch teams play in general when the play kick ball and players are not skilled. The number of college coach touches is proportional to the quality and reputation of your team. We had probually 300+ college coach touches our senior year because our team plays high quality possession soccer and we had developed great reputation with the college coaches. Solar Academy & FC Dallas USSF DA Academy also have great reputations for quality play. I will say be careful where your son plays if the team is no good soccer quality wise the coaches may not come. There are exceptions for teams known to have top level athletes although the soccer quality is less than desirable.
Soccernovice
Soccernovice
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by starbuck 6/28/2012, 12:06 am

Based on the number of all the commitments on espn and other sites....as well as the larger number who haven't sought those venues, it appears that the bad news is (at least for the kids) GRADES COUNT!!!! The good news is, if you work hard and make good grades, play soccer in high school and a club team, if possible, there are enough DII and DIII colleges out there for almost all interested in playing at the college level. The only decision will be, if the grades are good enough for a top college, the soccer playing might have to be put aside...at least in terms of college.

starbuck
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 6/28/2012, 9:26 am

"the bad news is?" It may be bad news for your kid that grades count, but for other kids...that's awesome news! cheers Love it when hard work, in and out of the classroom, will pay off.
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by starbuck 6/28/2012, 12:00 pm

Soccerinsanity wrote:"the bad news is?" It may be bad news for your kid that grades count, but for other kids...that's awesome news! cheers Love it when hard work, in and out of the classroom, will pay off.

I like it! cheers Makes it alot easier to get them motivated in the classroom. As it should be with any college sport, grades should be the first consideration.....especially in soccer where the popularity level reduces the number of full athletic scholarships. Makes it tough on the college coaches, but nice for the parents! Laughing

starbuck
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccernovice 6/28/2012, 5:32 pm

Yes but if you have a great student and they are a real good player don't rule out playing soccer at top schools. Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Emory, John Hopkins, and many others where on our sidelines at showcases. Key is does the player want to do both play college soccer while attending a elite institution.
Soccernovice
Soccernovice
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by starbuck 6/28/2012, 5:37 pm

Soccernovice wrote:Yes but if you have a great student and they are a real good player don't rule out playing soccer at top schools. Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Emory, John Hopkins, and many others where on our sidelines at showcases. Key is does the player want to do both play college soccer while attending a elite institution.

Agree completely. It's just those players are very hard to find. Lots of clubs will claim to have them, but there's probably a handful in each region.

starbuck
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 6/28/2012, 10:54 pm

One more question for the wisdom: all these recruiting agencies that are supposed to help...necessary?
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next