Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

99 Pre academy  - Page 2 Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

99 Pre academy

+14
Ibystander
go99
Laimport
finish1
Sparky1
Sweeper20
forbin
indyfc
rantnrave
Ibra
Axxman
Soccerinsanity
crazyET
omega striker
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

99 Pre academy  - Page 2 Empty Re: 99 Pre academy

Post by omega striker 8/7/2012, 10:57 pm

Sparky1 wrote:
forbin wrote:I thought the whole idea of PA (and DA for that matter) was to have the best players develop under less pressure to win and more emphasis on individual player development. It sounds like a great concept but I think there are a lot of NTX parents that are not ready to embrace that notion, hence these threads about who has the "BEST" PA team. Parents' egos just won't get out of the way.

I think the PA programs will eventually be good for giving players opportunities that might not otherwise be able to afford the training as well as giving a break to those who can. I don't think the programs are there yet as they are still in development, and are not necessarily grabbing all of the best players. In fact, there are many players I know that are in PA programs that I am not sure should even be in CL1. I would think that will work itself out in the coming years, but PA is not stocked solely with all elite players right now, and CL is not as watered down because of PA as some have surmised.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Maybe PA didn't affect your team cause nobody from it went to PA, but the top teams took their hits. DTR's best player by far went pa, barcelona is a shell of what it was, DT Leite is no longer together, FCD Premier lost players to pa, SR lives and dies by it's pa players, etc., and this on top of the hit 99 classic took a year ago to pa. But no, it's not as watered down.
well said sir! cheers

omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indyfc 8/7/2012, 11:00 pm

forbin wrote:

I thought the whole idea of PA (and DA for that matter) was to have the best players develop under less pressure to win and more emphasis on individual player development. Best players?? Hardly for PA.... price tag is too high on DT, Solar and Andro for many of the best players to afford to play. FCD is free, but maybe driving to Frisco may be the deterent. DA is probably closer to having the best players. Call me naive, but I do think that the emphasis is on individual development and there is less pressure to win.

It sounds like a great concept but I think there are a lot of NTX parents that are not ready to embrace that notion, hence these threads about who has the "BEST" PA team. Parents' egos just won't get out of the way. This is very, very true, but I think you are confusing the desire to always know who is #1 from the parents with pressure from the club to win. There will never be a league or program that will not be ranked, but that doesn't mean that the program or league is failure. It just means that this is America and in America you will always have "Top 10" lists for everything.

I think the PA programs will eventually be good for giving players opportunities that might not otherwise be able to afford the training as well as giving a break to those who can. The only way this happens is if the PA program is subsidised by USSF like DA... I just don't see the other 3 clubs digging into their pockets to cover the expense of PA teams. Having said that, with the additiona of PA teams at the U11 & U12 ages, I wouldn't be at all surprised if USSF decided to go ahead and add U13/U14 to the DA program.

I don't think the programs are there yet as they are still in development, and are not necessarily grabbing all of the best players. In fact, there are many players I know that are in PA programs that I am not sure should even be in CL1. I would think that will work itself out in the coming years, but PA is not stocked solely with all elite players right now... Agree 100%!!!

CL is not as watered down because of PA as some have surmised. Disagree 100%! All the top CL teams from the PA clubs are watered down to some degree or another.
indyfc
indyfc
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by forbin 8/7/2012, 11:01 pm

So help me out here... FCD PA is basically free this year like last year, correct? I made the assumption that other PA programs would eventually follow suit and would at least offer discounts to be competitive with FCD PA until they get their programs up to speed. Am I hearing correctly that the other PA programs actually cost more than just playing locally in CL?

forbin
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 8/8/2012, 10:08 am

forbin, I don't have any hard facts on costs.

But I would assume that the total costs have to be higher when travel is factored in.

I was talking to a dad at practice. His son was offered a slot with a Texans PA team. He mentioned an 'upfront' figure of around 5K.

I admit though that I may have misunderstood.

Personally, if you really wanted to argue that PA is getting all or most of the truly elite players....then that argument would be strengthened by making PA totally free for the players.

This debate to me is much like the ODP argument. ODP doesn't get all the best players anymore either. Largely due to the fact that PA/DA players don't participate.

In terms of exposure (college and otherwise) there are other venues available.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Axxman 8/8/2012, 10:31 am

FCD PA is free. The only two major expenses are uniforms and travel. You can get by with around $400 for the uniform kits, and you pay for your bb to travel on the bus with his and other fcd pa teams which runs approx. $600. So for FCD you pay $1,000/year.

For the Texans, the fee for PA is exactly the same as it is for classic ($2,800 approx.) but there is more travel which you have to pay for on your own. Since the teams don't travel in a big group like fcd, I'm assuming those costs are higher. So with uniforms and all I could see the cost for the Texans to be around $5k/year. Note that if they want your kid bad enough, whether you can afford it or not, they will offer scholarships.

Additionally, if you end up traveling to out of town venues, such as playoffs or whatever it may be, you would pay for your bbs travel unless the club picks up that tab which in most cases is unlikely, but does happen.

Don't have experience with Solar or Andro PA, but I'm assuming their fees would be very similar to the Texans.

Axxman
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/8/2012, 10:32 am

Laimport wrote:forbin, I don't have any hard facts on costs.

But I would assume that the total costs have to be higher when travel is factored in.

I was talking to a dad at practice. His son was offered a slot with a Texans PA team. He mentioned an 'upfront' figure of around 5K.

I admit though that I may have misunderstood.

Personally, if you really wanted to argue that PA is getting all or most of the truly elite players....then that argument would be strengthened by making PA totally free for the players.

This debate to me is much like the ODP argument. ODP doesn't get all the best players anymore either. Largely due to the fact that PA/DA players don't participate.

In terms of exposure (college and otherwise) there are other venues available.

How could any of these clubs other than FCD make it totally free for the PA and DA teams? Where does that money come from? For a club like DT or Andromeda or Solar to cover the costs of Uniforms, Travel and coaching for a team of 26 or so kids for a whole year would have to be pretty steep. I think it would be a great idea, but not sure where they would get the money from unless they raised clubs dues for the select and younger academy aged kids and then we would complain about that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibystander 8/8/2012, 10:50 am

Axxman wrote:FCD PA is free. The only two major expenses are uniforms and travel. You can get by with around $400 for the uniform kits, and you pay for your bb to travel on the bus with his and other fcd pa teams which runs approx. $600. So for FCD you pay $1,000/year.

For the Texans, the fee for PA is exactly the same as it is for classic ($2,800 approx.) but there is more travel which you have to pay for on your own. Since the teams don't travel in a big group like fcd, I'm assuming those costs are higher. So with uniforms and all I could see the cost for the Texans to be around $5k/year. Note that if they want your kid bad enough, whether you can afford it or not, they will offer scholarships.

Additionally, if you end up traveling to out of town venues, such as playoffs or whatever it may be, you would pay for your bbs travel unless the club picks up that tab which in most cases is unlikely, but does happen.

Don't have experience with Solar or Andro PA, but I'm assuming their fees would be very similar to the Texans.
Yes, looks like you did your homework. FCD travels by bus, with few to no overnight stays, thus cutting down on hotel fees, etc. For the other clubs, you have to pay for your own travel, and if you play in Ca, Fl, or Vegas(and you never win in Vegas), you're paying for airfare, usually around the holiday seasons, so they're not cheap. Factor in hotel costs, dining costs, coach's traveling and tournament expenses...5K is on the low end of the spectrum. Classic is a bit cheaper, since you have more games in town, therefore less spending on hotels, food, etc.
Yes, FCD is practically free, but their training schedule is too rigid. There is no way I'm driving my kid to practice 5 days a week, during rush hour, or otherwise.
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 8/8/2012, 11:53 am

Ibystander wrote:
Axxman wrote:FCD PA is free. The only two major expenses are uniforms and travel. You can get by with around $400 for the uniform kits, and you pay for your bb to travel on the bus with his and other fcd pa teams which runs approx. $600. So for FCD you pay $1,000/year.

Yes, looks like you did your homework. FCD travels by bus, with few to no overnight stays, thus cutting down on hotel fees, etc. For the other clubs, you have to pay for your own travel, and if you play in Ca, Fl, or Vegas(and you never win in Vegas), you're paying for airfare, usually around the holiday seasons, so they're not cheap. Factor in hotel costs, dining costs, coach's traveling and tournament expenses...5K is on the low end of the spectrum. Classic is a bit cheaper, since you have more games in town, therefore less spending on hotels, food, etc.
Yes, FCD is practically free, but their training schedule is too rigid. There is no way I'm driving my kid to practice 5 days a week, during rush hour, or otherwise.

Then after that if you go on to DA the FCD DA practices in the AM. Players have to transfer schools to Frisco ISD.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by socmom3 8/8/2012, 11:59 am

my2cents wrote:
Ibystander wrote:

Then after that if you go on to DA the FCD DA practices in the AM. Players have to transfer schools to Frisco ISD.

FCD PA players are strongly "encouraged" to attend middle school in Frisco, as well.
socmom3
socmom3
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibystander 8/8/2012, 12:08 pm

Also heard that 20+ FCD DA players actually flunked school? Just rumors, or is there any truth to it at all? Kind of makes you go hmmmmmmmmm. scratch
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by socmom3 8/8/2012, 12:12 pm

Ibystander wrote:Also heard that 20+ FCD DA players actually flunked school? Just rumors, or is there any truth to it at all? Kind of makes you go hmmmmmmmmm. scratch

I don't know the exact numbers, but I personally know 2 players who failed, yet are still playing.
socmom3
socmom3
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 8/8/2012, 12:30 pm

The implication I'm reading into here is that FCD PA/DA program is "too demanding" on the kids.

Let's cut the bs.

Most parents on here would love to have their kids play college soccer. Especially on scholarship.

Nothing wrong with that.

But, you need to understand the demands on the typical student athlete. Especially D1 athletes.

Early morning, pre class workouts. Two and three day road trips...during the week.

Team meetings, fitness work, etc.

You have to be incredibly focused and self motivated to maintain decent grades and be accountable to your coach.

Frankly, every pa/da team should be training 5 days a week. Their foreign counterparts are doing the same thing.

And, as I mentioned, they will be that busy and even more so when they go off and play in college.

Might as well learn now.

Besides, what else would they be doing? Video games? Facebook? Watching American Idol?

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by socmom3 8/8/2012, 12:40 pm

Laimport wrote:The implication I'm reading into here is that FCD PA/DA program is "too demanding" on the kids.

Let's cut the bs.

Most parents on here would love to have their kids play college soccer. Especially on scholarship.

Nothing wrong with that.

But, you need to understand the demands on the typical student athlete. Especially D1 athletes.

Early morning, pre class workouts. Two and three day road trips...during the week.

Team meetings, fitness work, etc.

You have to be incredibly focused and self motivated to maintain decent grades and be accountable to your coach.

Frankly, every pa/da team should be training 5 days a week. Their foreign counterparts are doing the same thing.

And, as I mentioned, they will be that busy and even more so when they go off and play in college.

Might as well learn now.

Besides, what else would they be doing? Video games? Facebook? Watching American Idol?

Totally agree...it takes alot of focus, dedication to succeed at a higher level (DA, college, etc)...and yes, the "training" regimen, both soccer and academics should be balanced....DA/College is not for everyone, especially those who are unable to learn how to pass classes/work hard academically AND fulfill the demands of their sport...takes a disciplined, focused, unique individual who can do that...after all, they won't be playing soccer all their lives and at some point have to earn a living. And for the record, I have a senior in HS who is not playing DA and a younger BB who plays PA...different paths and time will tell.
socmom3
socmom3
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 8/8/2012, 12:52 pm

I don't think that it is too demanding necessarily if you already live within a 20 to 30 mile radius of the program location. Otherwise it means either moving or say in my case 120 mile round trip twice a day. As far as the time commitment it is no different than all top athletes in other sports do in the HS football, basketball and baseball programs. The DA programs even at their best will still only reach a limited amount of the potential pool of players.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 8/10/2012, 9:56 am

FCD 97 PA (now u15) has some of the mst talented players I've ever seen at u15/16 level.

That said, there are players out there that are certainly capable of playing PA/DA yet choose not to.

In most cases, it is due to geography and cost.

I know there are several ETX ased players that are "PA caliber" players. (As evidenced by training with and being offered roster spots on PA teams)

And I'm sure there are metroplex based players of the same caliber.

I'm not bashing those players/families that choose PA early.

It's just that PA isn't a "make or break" proposition at 12, 13 or even 14/15 years of age.

A player can be suficiently challenged and otherwise developed in other ways.

For example, playing up in age and/or playing against adults.

When you live "in the sticks" you have to think outside the box.

My guess is that outside of FCD, the majority of pa/da teams are training 3 times a week.

With that in mind, it's what those players do the other 3 or 4 days out of the week that makes the difference.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 8/10/2012, 10:06 am

socmom3 wrote:
Ibystander wrote:Also heard that 20+ FCD DA players actually flunked school? Just rumors, or is there any truth to it at all? Kind of makes you go hmmmmmmmmm. scratch

I don't know the exact numbers, but I personally know 2 players who failed, yet are still playing.

I will say this. Those that failed in school had better be very succesful with their soccer because if you cannot handle the rigors of the AL and highschool you will not be able to handle playing soccer in college. FCD is not there to hold thier hands and wipe their noses for them.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 8/10/2012, 10:10 am

Laimport wrote:FCD 97 PA (now u15) has some of the mst talented players I've ever seen at u15/16 level.

That said, there are players out there that are certainly capable of playing PA/DA yet choose not to.

In most cases, it is due to geography and cost.

I know there are several ETX ased players that are "PA caliber" players. (As evidenced by training with and being offered roster spots on PA teams)

And I'm sure there are metroplex based players of the same caliber.

I'm not bashing those players/families that choose PA early.

It's just that PA isn't a "make or break" proposition at 12, 13 or even 14/15 years of age.

A player can be suficiently challenged and otherwise developed in other ways.

For example, playing up in age and/or playing against adults.

When you live "in the sticks" you have to think outside the box.

My guess is that outside of FCD, the majority of pa/da teams are training 3 times a week.

With that in mind, it's what those players do the other 3 or 4 days out of the week that makes the difference.

I think the PA is great but as BB's coach put it. "Keep in mind the point is AL not PA" Being in the PA does not guarantee you a spot on the AL team. He did feel that by 16 that a player serious about his soccer should be in the AL
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 8/10/2012, 10:12 am

go99 wrote:
socmom3 wrote:

I will say this. Those that failed in school had better be very succesful with their soccer because if you cannot handle the rigors of the AL and highschool you will not be able to handle playing soccer in college. FCD is not there to hold thier hands and wipe their noses for them.

FCD is also not there to get them into college. The primary focus is to develop for the pro team.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 8/10/2012, 10:38 am

The majority of FCD academy grads are going to play in college.

I understand it's a 'pipeline' but that doesn't mean it's 'pro or nothing' to the players and their parents.

Now, obviously I agree with the fact that they have to maintain grades. But even if their grades are not great (or good enough for some d1 programs) they can still get a second chance playing at a junior college somewhere.

If they can't balance soccer and their studies, it is highly unlikely they would make it as a pro anyway.

The 2 are more linked than most people realize.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 8/10/2012, 10:43 am

Just curious.

Does FCD conciously pursue the hispanic player?

Or, do they end up with mostly hispanic players due to the belief that the other big clubs cater to the "college is top priorty" families/players?

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 8/10/2012, 11:28 am

maybe it's because it's free so cost or the ability to pay for the travel etc is not a factor. So no they don't cater to the hispanics.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Axxman 8/10/2012, 11:30 am

Helps if you're bi-lingual though, so you can understand what some of the coaches are saying....

Axxman
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 8/10/2012, 11:31 am

LMAO
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 8/10/2012, 11:34 am

I'd like to think that go's analogy is correct.

Without too much detail, my anglo son was certainly made to feel welcome.

And yes, there was some Spanish being spoken...baahaaa!

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 8/10/2012, 11:55 am

Laimport wrote:The majority of FCD academy grads are going to play in college.I understand it's a 'pipeline' but that doesn't mean it's 'pro or nothing' to the players and their parents.

Now, obviously I agree with the fact that they have to maintain grades. But even if their grades are not great (or good enough for some d1 programs) they can still get a second chance playing at a junior college somewhere.

If they can't balance soccer and their studies, it is highly unlikely they would make it as a pro anyway.

The 2 are more linked than most people realize.

Yes, no doubt, but FCD did not start that program with the intent to get more players into top soccer or academic colleges. They started it to support the pro level. FCD had to put together a college support system to satisfy the parents. Without the college aspects being promoted the parents with the financial means were going to DA programs that promote only the higher college scout exposure aspect. Thus the primary goal still is to support the pro team. Secondary is the players who don't make the first team go to college.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 8/10/2012, 12:48 pm

That's pretty much what i meant. The majority are going to go the college route.

Maybe 1 oe 2 players in a good year will go to the first team.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next