Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

HIGH SCHOOL ball vs. ACADEMY ball, NY Times article - Page 2 Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

HIGH SCHOOL ball vs. ACADEMY ball, NY Times article

+8
The German
just2smile
soccergrinder
starbuck
go99
Rooneyhasplugs
Laimport
PG-Boy
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

HIGH SCHOOL ball vs. ACADEMY ball, NY Times article - Page 2 Empty Re: HIGH SCHOOL ball vs. ACADEMY ball, NY Times article

Post by soccergrinder 10/8/2012, 7:17 pm

Laimport wrote:grinder, I'm aware of the ECNL. Didn't bring it up because it so recent in its creation. 2, 3 years?

I'm sure the question/dilemma raised on the girls side as well.

The gridiron football analogy is just to point out that there is little room for comparing.

The rest of the world is catching up to the US women. Only within the last decade has there even been any support for the womens game on a large scale that the US has had.

Rest of the world to my knowledge doesn't have "Title IX".

I don't think high school soccer is necessarily bad for developing a player.

Fortunately for my son, DA is not really an option (due to geography). He's a freshman and is stoked about playing high school soccer.

And I personally do feel there is some 'developmental value' with scholastic ball. At least his freshman and sophomore years. When you add in the 'intrinsic' stuff, it's even better.

Competition is a good thing. It sharpens the athlete. Problem is, we take competition way too seriously at way too young an age.

Compound that with poor coaching. (Not teaching soccer fundamentals and overly focusing on results. As well as possession, building from the back, etc.)

My philosophy is that coaching is a small but important part of the total equation. The vast majority is up to the individual player.

"Balance" is key. It's okay to be the star of your hs team. But you also have to seek out environments where you aren't the star...in order to improve.

As long as the emphasis is on "team development" we will continue to have the same problems.

And since we don't have the infrastructure in place that exists elsewhere, playing high school soccer in addition to club/DA is not an issue.

Just another turf war within the sport...

Laimp. I agree with your wisdom. From my experience with DA the coaching was not better. The majority of the teams we played against played ugly long ball and little if any developing was going on. The collective of quality players was higher than club and high school. But the coaching was on par across the board from club, DA and high school. My kid chose to leave DA, if you can call being forced to leave a choice. He didn't want to leave, and his coach didn't want him to leave. But once the Academy threatened the coach and club with sanctions, we walked away. DA is not about doing whats best for the players, it is as you suggested, a turf war. Best thing for my kid was when he left DA. Played high school and made it all the way to regional finals. Then was recruited to play the summer up on a U20 USL team that was a step up from the DA. It prepared him better for Big Ten ball. So in the end it all worked out.

soccergrinder
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

HIGH SCHOOL ball vs. ACADEMY ball, NY Times article - Page 2 Empty Re: HIGH SCHOOL ball vs. ACADEMY ball, NY Times article

Post by Laimport 10/9/2012, 8:15 am

grinder, I'm glad things worked out with your son. I'm not necessarily 'antiDA'. I'm just not buying into the hype that it is the alpha and omega of youth soccer.

Maybe some of the MLS clubs are doing it right. I don't know.

I think the path you took with your son (playing USL U20) was much more beneficial. I think an exceptional player at 17/18 needs to at least begin looking beyond their own age group in order to sharpen and improve.

I can't seem to find any correlation between being on an 'elite' youth team and future success at higher levels.

I'm beginning to think the opposite may even be true.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2