Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

What is the meaning of select soccer? $$$$$ - Page 2 Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

What is the meaning of select soccer? $$$$$

+18
PremierLeagueFan
tshirtfan
earbucket
SS3
KarateChop
EOB
goalstop
Passtheball
Laroja_2012
Offside
my2cents
rocketpop
allen04
Number13
tigre4now
God's Son
R1
03lovingsoccer
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is the meaning of select soccer? $$$$$ - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the meaning of select soccer? $$$$$

Post by tigre4now 6/7/2013, 10:10 am

City futsal is not for everybody. They train and develop players. Select Coaches develop teams. The select coaches need to keep the team together to make sure they have a pay check. My money is better spent on player development vs apparent player development due to keeping everybody happy to keep the check coming.

This is not to slamm on the select system but it's not working. When are we as parents going to expect that our money works to keep our kids developing. There was a thread here a while back about select being the end of development.

I would like to hear the opposite of my thinking.

tigre4now
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

What is the meaning of select soccer? $$$$$ - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the meaning of select soccer? $$$$$

Post by Guest 6/7/2013, 10:28 am

tigre4now wrote:City futsal is not for everybody. They train and develop players. Select Coaches develop teams. The select coaches need to keep the team together to make sure they have a pay check. My money is better spent on player development vs apparent player development due to keeping everybody happy to keep the check coming.

This is not to slamm on the select system but it's not working. When are we as parents going to expect that our money works to keep our kids developing. There was a thread here a while back about select being the end of development.

The first thing that comes to mind is find a coach that doesnt need the paycheck from select soccer. Find someone that is passionate about coaching kids and not brining in a few extra dollars at the end of the month.

I know, easier said than done but there really isnt a "right or wrong" way and we as parents are looking for the best. Reality is that less than 1% of everyone playing select soccer will go on to bigger and better things. Perhaps parents need to take a step back and grasp reality, a tough pill to swallow.

For me the best development comes from small sided games w/o any organization, meaning, kids playing at school grounds, the local parks, pick up games etc. Select soccer doesnt provide that unless the coach is focused on developing kids and not extra income.

Where are we going to find that coach? They do exist, we just need to do our homework before chasing the next big thing.

I could go on and on but at the end of the day im trying to enjoy the game with my BB as much as possible. Sure he can hang with the big boys, sure it would be great if he played in college, but the chances of him going pro, for example MLS and earning 30k a year isnt what I have planned for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by EOB 6/7/2013, 10:31 am

tigre4now wrote:City futsal is not for everybody. They train and develop players. Select Coaches develop teams. The select coaches need to keep the team together to make sure they have a pay check. My money is better spent on player development vs apparent player development due to keeping everybody happy to keep the check coming.

Tigre -- I am not picking on you.

What are we (really coaches) developing our kids for ?? Seriously ?? -- for the 4-5% (tops) that will get a small scholarship to a multi-directional school that most everyone has never heard of ? and then they will possibly quit after the first year or 2 and then transfer somewhere else to get a degree in something. if there are 50-60 teams at each age group and average 20 per roster, we are talking about the 40 to 50 kids that get any money. Yes you will have the 1/2 dozen that get a good ride to a D1 school, but really -- the rest of us ?

People -- we are paying this money for our kids to have fun, get off the couch, develop life skills within the game of soccer and other somewhat questionable motives sometimes driven by us.
OK -- a feel a little better. bounce
EOB
EOB
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/7/2013, 10:42 am

Another thing that comes to mind about individual development is the amount of time the player is putting in. It's not fair to the coaches that we, as parents, expect our BB to improve with only 3 hours a week of practice and a game on weekends. Reality is you need to touch the ball EVERY DAY for a minimum of 20 minutes.

I guess what im saying is that we expect to much. Drop off little Johnny and expect to pick up the next super star.

How about this, keep BB on a team for play, yes he will develop as part of a team, thats step 1. If thats not enough, find a skills coach or small sided games that offer more touches on the ball.

Better yet, get in the back yard and spend some time knocking the ball around.

Back to top Go down

Post by EOB 6/7/2013, 10:57 am

rd486-

I agree with you about the individual ball touches away from the scheduled team events. I saw on another thread the interview with Clint Dempsey where he talked about kicking the ball off the wall.

I am no Kyle Rote jr, but as a youth I had my ball with me all the time. I kicked the ball off the side of my house 100K times, except for the 10-12 times it went through my bedroom window. I took it the school and kicked it off the side of the gym and yes i put plenty up on the school roof. I would see how many juggles i could do without the ball hitting the ground. If I had a friend we would headed it back and forth as many times as we could or stand on each side of the house and punt the ball over the top. We'd invent stuff for a reason to kick the ball.

BUT --i still have paid over $45K for my BB's to play soccer and I am really not upset with doing it. I never had scholarship ideas in my mind, and of course I would prefer to NOW have that money to use for college, but it is what it is and we carry on. Sorry gotta go, someone is in the drive thru and needs a McFlurrie.

Last edited by EOB on 6/7/2013, 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
EOB
EOB
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/7/2013, 11:13 am

EOB wrote:rd486-

I agree with you about the individual ball touches away from the scheduled team events. I saw on another thread the interview with Clint Dempsey where he talked about kicking the ball off the wall.

I am no Kyle Rote jr, but as a youth I had my ball with me all the time. I kicked the ball off the side of my house 100K times, except for the 10-12 times it went through my bedroom window. I took it the school and kicked it off the side of the gym and yes i put plenty up on the school roof. I would see how many juggles i could do without the ball hitting the ground. If I had a friend we would headed it back and forth as many times as we could or stand on each side of the house and punt the ball over the top. We'd event stuff for a reason to kick the ball.

BUT --i still have paid over $45K for my BB's to play soccer and I am really not upset with doing it. I never had scholarship ideas in my mind, and of course I would prefer to NOW have that money to use for college, but it is what it is and we carry on. Sorry gotta go, someone is in the drive thru and needs a McFlurrie.

Just think of all the memories and quality time you spent doing something you both love. At the end of the day 45k is a lot of money and yes, it would be nice to have for college. On another note, you may have spent that money on McFlurries and would be still be out 45K Smile

Enjoy life, experience as much as you can. <<<< That's what im going to tell myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by KarateChop 6/7/2013, 12:52 pm

I'm loving all of the positive feelings coming out of these last few posts. It's hard to believe that my youngest BB is 10 yrs old already. Having fun with our kids is the point and it shouldn't be forgotten.

It's definitely about finding the right coach. There are some fantastic ones. The right coach also has a bunch of players hitting practices right now and the decision on who to keep is tough. The coaches are seeing great players and players with great potential. Some of the great players play a certain way that may or may not be changed by the coach ultimately or fit into the team's style. Regardless those players razzle dazzle at practice and all the parents start to think about winning winning winning. That puts pressure on the coach with good intentions at that point. Perhaps that pressure proceeds to change the great coaches. Looking at the older groups posts, there aren't many great coaches getting praise.

The player with great potential is likely going to learn the way the coach wants them to fit into the team as a whole. The development will come, likely sooner than later. The team will flourish. But the potentially great really stand to lose in most cases as shiny objects are the focus of affection this month.

Too many players in NT, not enough great coaches. Here's to the great team environments that keep the boys having fun regardless of what $$ we have to spend!
KarateChop
KarateChop
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 6/7/2013, 1:03 pm

rdeal486 wrote:

The first thing that comes to mind is find a coach that doesnt need the paycheck from select soccer. Find someone that is passionate about coaching kids and not brining in a few extra dollars at the end of the month.

I know, easier said than done but there really isnt a "right or wrong" way and we as parents are looking for the best. Reality is that less than 1% of everyone playing select soccer will go on to bigger and better things. Perhaps parents need to take a step back and grasp reality, a tough pill to swallow.

For me the best development comes from small sided games w/o any organization, meaning, kids playing at school grounds, the local parks, pick up games etc. Select soccer doesnt provide that unless the coach is focused on developing kids and not extra income.

Where are we going to find that coach? They do exist, we just need to do our homework before chasing the next big thing.

I could go on and on but at the end of the day im trying to enjoy the game with my BB as much as possible. Sure he can hang with the big boys, sure it would be great if he played in college, but the chances of him going pro, for example MLS and earning 30k a year isnt what I have planned for him.

The average for a MLS player this year was $141,903.13 with the median at $75,000http://www.sounderatheart.com/2013/5/6/4306550/mls-player-salaries-analysis-charts-and-tables

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

What is the meaning of select soccer? $$$$$ - Page 2 Empty volunteer organization

Post by SS3 6/11/2013, 6:10 am

FC Sharks 01 boys is a complete volunteer organization. We have a sponsor who doesn't even put logos on the jersey, play PPL D1 and about 6 local tournaments a year.

Bottom line is the boys are having fun, improving their individual skills and still want to go to practice. No we are not a CL team but we do compete. If you know any 01 or even 02 boys who want to play up give us a look.

www.fcsharks.org

SS3
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by goalstop 6/11/2013, 7:48 am

My son does not care about being a professional player, but he does love soccer. His goal is getting in Air Force Academy. He has told me many times he wants to coach his own kids one day. Lol

Last week he was the MVP Student of his class and received a academic presidential award.

goalstop
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/11/2013, 8:50 am

goalstop wrote: My son does not care about being a professional player, but he does love soccer. His goal is getting in Air Force Academy. He has told me many times he wants to coach his own kids one day. Lol

Last week he was the MVP Student of his class and received a academic presidential award.

Those are great goals for a young man and I applaud you as a parent for not pushing soccer over everything else.

Back to top Go down

What is the meaning of select soccer? $$$$$ - Page 2 Empty priorities

Post by SS3 6/11/2013, 9:15 am

absolutely...you've done well.

SS3
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by goalstop 6/11/2013, 12:24 pm

Thanks. When a kid has a Korean mom, they normally finish what they start. Lol

goalstop
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by earbucket 1/21/2016, 3:45 pm

earbucket
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by tshirtfan 1/23/2016, 8:02 am

I have no experience with futsal training, although I know it has a lot to do with individual foot skills. I have seen a lot of players with above average foot skills come from it. My question is this... My whole reasoning behind paying money for my son to play select is to hopefully get some kind of college scholarship. If he wasnt good enough to eventually get one, then I would not invest the time and money in select, futsal, or any other program. He would just play rec and thats it, and that would be fine. So, where is the best place for my son to be seen by colleges? I believe it is in D1 or D2 soccer, not futsal. But, I could be wrong. Thoughts??

tshirtfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan 1/23/2016, 9:16 am

tshirtfan wrote:I have no experience with futsal training, although I know it has a lot to do with individual foot skills. I have seen a lot of players with above average foot skills come from it. My question is this... My whole reasoning behind paying money for my son to play select is to hopefully get some kind of college scholarship. If he wasnt good enough to eventually get one, then I would not invest the time and money in select, futsal, or any other program. He would just play rec and thats it, and that would be fine. So, where is the best place for my son to be seen by colleges? I believe it is in D1 or D2 soccer, not futsal. But, I could be wrong. Thoughts??

I would suggest that you Play Recreational soccer since there are no guarantees that your BB will be selected for a full scholarship to a college program.

Futsal, private coaching, and residency or after school programs offer no guarantees either and even though they will improve your BB's technical brilliance they will not necessarily improve his game skills so I would suggest you take the safe route and save your money since you don't have your heart set on club and you said that rec is fine with you if there is no guarantee.

Recreational soccer will be a fun experience for your BB and you will save a considerable amount of money that you can invest in other ways to pay for BB's college tuition.

Club soccer is for players who want to be challenged at the highest levels and who train seriously for competition against other highly competitive teams. Club soccer is an elite system that is a pathway to college and beyond for a select group of players who are able to develop to a higher level as a result of their participation in this highly challenging environment that offers no guarantees.

For others, club soccer is a rite of passage that prepares them mentally for a highly competitve life that is structured and full of challenges and one in which the experience of cooperative team play can help them to succeed.

Last edited by PremierLeagueFan on 1/23/2016, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
PremierLeagueFan
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by earbucket 1/23/2016, 9:33 am

It's all about touches. The more you kid does under pressure the more progress he makes. Futsal provided that for my son. Futsal pick up on Sundays at Dallas Lutheran was perfect, because there was no parents and no coaches. That transformed into training, league play, camps and tournaments. To me it has been a wonderful supplement to my son's outdoor play.

To answer your question directly, Development Academy is the best place to be seen by colleges. And they are not really looking until U16. But the correct question is does your son enjoy it and then later on does he want it and how much does he want it when girlfriends, friends and other things are beckoning.

earbucket
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by tshirtfan 1/23/2016, 10:05 am

PremierLeagueFan wrote:
tshirtfan wrote:I have no experience with futsal training, although I know it has a lot to do with individual foot skills. I have seen a lot of players with above average foot skills come from it. My question is this... My whole reasoning behind paying money for my son to play select is to hopefully get some kind of college scholarship. If he wasnt good enough to eventually get one, then I would not invest the time and money in select, futsal, or any other program. He would just play rec and thats it, and that would be fine. So, where is the best place for my son to be seen by colleges? I believe it is in D1 or D2 soccer, not futsal. But, I could be wrong. Thoughts??

I would suggest that you Play Recreational soccer since there are no guarantees that you will be selected for a full scholarship to a college program. Futsal, private coaching, and residency or after school programs offer no guarantees either and even though they will improve your BB's technical brilliance they will not necessarily improve his game skills so I would suggest the safe route and save your money.

Recreational soccer will be a fun experience for your BB and you will save a considerable amount of money that you can invest in other ways to pay for BB's college tuition.

Club soccer is for players who want to be challenged at the highest levels and who train seriously for competition against other highly competitive teams. Club soccer is an elite system that is a pathway to college and beyond for a select group of players who are able to develop to a higher level as a result of their participation in this highly challenging environment that offers no guarantees. For others club soccer is a rite of passage that prepares them mentally for a highly competitve life that is structured and full of challenges and one in which the experience of cooperative team play can help them to succeed.

lol! So many contradictions goin on there

tshirtfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan 1/23/2016, 11:07 am

tshirtfan wrote:

lol! So many contradictions goin on there

You ask where the best place is to be seen by college coaches, but you say that it's not worth it if there are no guarantees so I made a suggestion based on your post. I don't see any contradictions.

The best way to get looked at by anyone is to play competitively in a competitive league on a competitive team. Skills and soccer IQ are gained in competition.
PremierLeagueFan
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by tshirtfan 1/23/2016, 1:12 pm

No, what I said was I invest money and time into select so that hopefully he can get some kind of scholarship. Of course its not guaranteed, nothing in life is. But, the best way to at least have a decent chance is to play in a competitive league. I said at the end of my post that I believe the best was to get looked at is playing D1 or D2 Classic League soccer. I think we agree that competitive soccer is the best way to get looked at, just misunderstood the way we said it.

tshirtfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sho'Nuff 1/23/2016, 4:45 pm

Paying to sign a non-compete makes alot of sense.
Sho'Nuff
Sho'Nuff
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by plantit 1/24/2016, 7:35 pm

PremierLeagueFan wrote:

I would suggest that you Play Recreational soccer since there are no guarantees that your BB will be selected for a full scholarship to a college program.

Futsal, private coaching, and residency or after school programs offer no guarantees either and even though they will improve your BB's technical brilliance they will not necessarily improve his game skills so I would suggest you take the safe route and save your money since you don't have your heart set on club and you said that rec is fine with you if there is no guarantee.

Club soccer is for players who want to be challenged at the highest levels and who train seriously for competition against other highly competitive teams. Club soccer is an elite system that is a pathway to college and beyond for a select group of players who are able to develop to a higher level as a result of their participation in this highly challenging environment that offers no guarantees.

For others, club soccer is a rite of passage that prepares them mentally for a highly competitve life that is structured and full of challenges and one in which the experience of cooperative team play can help them to succeed.

Get this through your thick skull here and now.. There is NOOOO money in mens college soccer .

But if you insist . Find the school that interests YOUR son and what he wants to major in . Then contact that's schools said head coach to put your kid on his radar . Attend his specific ID camp , then pray that your kid has skills and is the type of player the coach wants . Then and only then IF HE HAS GOOD GRADES, your bb may get some money . A lot of times disguised as Soccer, Academics , yada ,yada 10% American Indian , left handed, one testical ect ect scholarship.

Forget the bullshit showcase tournaments that cost 1000+$. By the end of them a lot of coaches brains are numb and all the have is a bunch of names and numbers . What do they do with these ? Funny you should ask . They contact your bb and invite him to their ID camp for a fee of course . Whats funny is scholarships can be tied to play time ect . and can be taken back if JR doesn't hit the field enough . You think daddy's influence or $ is gonna work with a college coach?

On top of that !! who gives a s* if you get twelve five towards a so and so out of state liberal arts, or other college . Ever tried to house a kid at UC Berkley . I think rent alone would run around 20K

Play Select because that is the skill level of your kid, you have the disposable income , and he wants to.

You play for a scholarship and you will be a lot poorer and very disappointed
plantit
plantit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Beast_04 1/24/2016, 9:16 pm

plantit wrote:
PremierLeagueFan wrote:

Get this through your thick skull here and now..  There is NOOOO money in mens college soccer .

But if you insist .  Find the school that interests YOUR son and what he wants to major in . Then contact that's schools said head coach to put your kid on his radar .  Attend his specific ID camp , then pray that your kid has skills and is the type of player the coach wants . Then and only then IF HE HAS GOOD GRADES, your bb may get some money . A lot of times disguised as Soccer, Academics , yada ,yada  10% American Indian , left handed, one testical ect ect scholarship.

Forget the bullshit showcase tournaments that cost 1000+$. By the end of them a lot of coaches brains are numb and all the have is a bunch of names and numbers . What do they do with these ? Funny you should ask . They contact your bb and invite him to their ID camp for a fee of course . Whats funny is scholarships  can be tied to play time ect . and can be taken back if JR doesn't hit the field enough . You think daddy's influence or $ is gonna work with a college coach?  

On top of that !! who gives a s* if you get twelve five towards a  so and so out of state liberal arts, or other   college   . Ever tried to house a kid at UC Berkley . I think rent alone would run around 20K

Play Select because that is the skill level of your kid, you have the disposable income , and he wants to.  

You play for a scholarship and you will be  a lot poorer and very disappointed  

You made a couple of good points. My BB is interested in one college really, and even though he is only 13, I emailed the head coach from that college and asked two questions:

1. What do you look for in a player?
2. What kind of scholarship opportunities does you school offer?

The first thing he replied with was GRADES, he looked for players that maintained good grades, and also a player that is coachable. They are allotted 9 scholarships by the school and can be given in full or split up as they see fit. So a scholarship is possible, but you are competing with 20+ other kids for even part of a scholarship.

These are all things that I pretty much knew, but it was nice to be able to show it to my BB in writing from the head coach at that school, that it wasn't just a bunch of bull from his dad that doesn't know anything. We will focus on academic scholarships first, athletic second.
Beast_04
Beast_04
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by lostball 1/24/2016, 9:22 pm

I found this article discussing college coaches watching HS games, nothing earth shattering but it does confirm some of the topics discussed in this posting.

http://www.and-againsoccer.com/forum/academy-select-high-school-college-soccer/general-academy-select-high-school-college-soccer-discussion/83-for-all-parents-thinking-about-the-college-recruiting-process

lostball
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan 1/25/2016, 2:12 am

This a good example of what plantit was talking about in terms of no money in soccer scholarships. Hopefully it has improved from 2014, but I seriously doubt it.

http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html
PremierLeagueFan
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2