Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

What do you get out of select soccer? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

What do you get out of select soccer?

+20
KarateChop
finish1
OnTheSurface
Rooneyhasplugs
Dropball
God's Son
Freeatlast
bigtex75081
starbuck
go99
heyyouguys
Liverpool00/02
Number13
NotADRAMAfan
dadof3
03lovingsoccer
Soccerinsanity
mavericks67
Rightback
socBall02
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What do you get out of select soccer? Empty What do you get out of select soccer?

Post by socBall02 7/11/2013, 10:28 pm

After paying 6 or 7 years of select soccer, which can be quite a lot. What does your kid get out of it?

I am sure that not many kids will become professional player. So, what is the benefit?

are other sports (basketball or football) just as costly, and have lots of dramas like soccer?

socBall02
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

What do you get out of select soccer? Empty Re: What do you get out of select soccer?

Post by Rightback 7/11/2013, 10:41 pm

I assume this is a rhetorical question.

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

What do you get out of select soccer? Empty Re: What do you get out of select soccer?

Post by mavericks67 7/11/2013, 10:42 pm

1. Life lessons (team work, respect others, work as a team ect.. )
2. Help the kid stay away from trouble
3. Stay in great shape
4. Pass classes and behave or no more Select soccer
5. Give the kid the tools and support to play select, is up to him how much he loves the sport
6. Scholarship or pro
mavericks67
mavericks67
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 7/11/2013, 10:52 pm

Yes, other sports are just as expensive, and ugh, even more expensive than soccer! But watching your child do something they love is its own reward. Trick for most parents is to ensure the kid loves it and not the parents.
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 03lovingsoccer 7/11/2013, 11:08 pm

As a manager: a headache. Lol

03lovingsoccer
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by dadof3 7/12/2013, 7:51 am

03lovingsoccer wrote:As a manager: a headache. Lol

Amen. But some great relationships with parents and kids you want around your child too.

dadof3
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NotADRAMAfan 7/12/2013, 9:47 am

socBall02 wrote:After paying 6 or 7 years of select soccer, which can be quite a lot. What does your kid get out of it?

I am sure that not many kids will become professional player. So, what is the benefit?

are other sports (basketball or football) just as costly, and have lots of dramas like soccer?

Life lessons, as in how to be in the work place.

How brown nosing works ?
How having skills cannot get you fired ?
How people treat others when they are in positions of power ?
How people treat other when their skills are diminishing?

Really good life lessons.

NotADRAMAfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 7/12/2013, 10:14 am

Certainly it gets you used to dealing with whiners
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Liverpool00/02 7/12/2013, 10:33 am

Lol!! Number 13!! I assume your talking about some is these parents that come on here and always complain about select soccer? If so, bravo! Cause in tired of hearing these parents complain time and time again. Here's the thing, if you dislike NTX select soccer so much......DON'T PLAY! Have your kid sit at home and play video games and eat chips all day! The world of select soccer will go on without you! But whatever you do stop whinny all the time like little girls. Speaking of witch, do you know how much select volleyball cost?? I do! And your gonna complain about the cost of select soccer?? Either enjoy your time with your kids playing a sport, that hopefully they love playing, or get out. But stop complaining about everything, it gets old.

Liverpool00/02
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by heyyouguys 7/12/2013, 10:38 am

Honestly, soccer has been good for our family... it's gotten my wife and I playing soccer with friends we have met along the way, my son is in great physical shape and has a sport that he can play for the rest of his life, it has taught him to work through pain instead of a lot of kids who throw a fit, it has basically eliminated video games from the house (we don't have TV so that's not a problem). The cost is kind of annoying, but I feel like the rewards far outweigh the cost. It could probably be done cheaper, but he enjoys it and he's a good kid and a great big brother, so we feel like he's worth it. We don't have delusions that he will be a pro one day... but I think there's value in doing something you love and striving to the best... which doesn't have to end up making you money one day. Soccer can be a damn fine hobby, and hobbies cost money.

heyyouguys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by socBall02 7/12/2013, 11:55 am

I guess there are a lot of life lessons to learn from playing select soccer. It depends on whether you have the time and money for it. Thanks for all the comments.

socBall02
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 7/12/2013, 12:19 pm

how did that end up here
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by starbuck 7/12/2013, 2:45 pm

mavericks67 wrote:1. Life lessons (team work, respect others, work as a team ect.. )
3. Stay in great shape
5. Give the kid the tools and support to play select, is up to him how much he loves the sport
6. Scholarship or pro

This is a good list. I would add any pay to play sport is a pretty good (if not the only) alternative to high school sports for those not able to make those teams, but still want to experience the great life lessons.

starbuck
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 7/12/2013, 3:38 pm

mavericks67 wrote:1. Life lessons (team work, respect others, work as a team ect.. )
3. Stay in great shape
6. Scholarship or pro
7. Sets your BB up with a clear understanding (and expectation) of a lifetime of fitness.
8. Soccer is a "lifetime sport". The knowledge he gains now will allow him to be social and active in the soccer community for the rest of his life if he chooses.
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeatlast 7/12/2013, 6:27 pm

3. Stay in great shape
6. Scholarship or pro

on #1: You can get the "life lessons" you mention from any team sport, including rec teams, so I don't think select soccer gets any special points here

on #2: agree, although any number of activities will do that, including rec sports, so nothing special about select there

on #3: true, but a bit over-rated. kids i've seen from, say, football, wrestling, and swimming seem to be more fit than a lot of select soccer kids; but no doubt soccer is good exercise

on #4: that depends on the parents, not select soccer

on #6: Very rare, you certainly cant EXPECT select to yield those

Freeatlast
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeatlast 7/12/2013, 6:30 pm

Liverpool00/02 wrote: Cause in tired of hearing these parents complain time and time again. Here's the thing, if you dislike NTX select soccer so much......DON'T PLAY! Have your kid sit at home and play video games and eat chips all day! The world of select soccer will go on without you! But whatever you do stop whinny all the time like little girls. Speaking of witch, do you know how much select volleyball cost?? I do! And your gonna complain about the cost of select soccer?? Either enjoy your time with your kids playing a sport, that hopefully they love playing, or get out. But stop complaining about everything, it gets old.

oh quit yer whining Liverpool

Freeatlast
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Rightback 7/13/2013, 12:19 am

The cognitive dissonance of complaining about complaining is awesome.

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by God's Son 7/13/2013, 10:23 am

Liverpool00/02 wrote:Lol!! Number 13!! I assume your talking about some is these parents that come on here and always complain about select soccer? If so, bravo! Cause in tired of hearing these parents complain time and time again. Here's the thing, if you dislike NTX select soccer so much......DON'T PLAY! Have your kid sit at home and play video games and eat chips all day! The world of select soccer will go on without you! But whatever you do stop whinny all the time like little girls. Speaking of witch, do you know how much select volleyball cost?? I do! And your gonna complain about the cost of select soccer?? Either enjoy your time with your kids playing a sport, that hopefully they love playing, or get out. But stop complaining about everything, it gets old.
Your right my bb doesn't play select soccer and by the looks of it his doing just fine if not better, from what I have seen.

God's Son
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dropball 7/13/2013, 3:32 pm

Other life lessons gained from select soccer:
-just because a coach is being paid does not necessarily make him a professional.
-when a coach touts a focus on "development" he may not mean "player development", it may mean "team development" (cut & recruit).
-When you hear that a coach has "passion for the game" it may just be a euphemism for anger managemt issues.
Dropball
Dropball
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooneyhasplugs 7/13/2013, 7:52 pm

God's Son wrote:
Liverpool00/02 wrote:Lol!! Number 13!! I assume your talking about some is these parents that come on here and always complain about select soccer? If so, bravo! Cause in tired of hearing these parents complain time and time again. Here's the thing, if you dislike NTX select soccer so much......DON'T PLAY! Have your kid sit at home and play video games and eat chips all day! The world of select soccer will go on without you! But whatever you do stop whinny all the time like little girls. Speaking of witch, do you know how much select volleyball cost?? I do! And your gonna complain about the cost of select soccer?? Either enjoy your time with your kids playing a sport, that hopefully they love playing, or get out. But stop complaining about everything, it gets old.
Your right my bb doesn't play select soccer and by the looks of it his doing just fine if not better, from what I have seen.

So sayeth the Lord

Rooneyhasplugs
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooneyhasplugs 7/13/2013, 7:53 pm

Dropball wrote:Other life lessons gained from select soccer:

-When you hear that a coach has "passion for the game" it may just be a euphemism for anger managemt issues.

Sadly that applies to players as well in some instances with their parents encouragement.

Rooneyhasplugs
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dropball 7/13/2013, 11:31 pm

Rooneyhasplugs wrote:

Sadly that applies to players as well in some instances with their parents encouragement.
Sadly... That aplies to parents as well, more often than players in my experience.
Dropball
Dropball
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheSurface 7/14/2013, 1:07 am

Liverpool00/02 wrote:But stop complaining about everything, it gets old.
I don't think OP was complaining as such. It's a very valid question. We as parents drive our kids everywhere, we spend money, we sit in the heat for hours ... we spend so much time, effort, money; blood, sweat, and tears on this whole select soccer effort. And to what end?

There are many valid answers to this question, and each family will have their own answer as to whether it is all worth it. But, I do think some parents have some unrealistic expectations of the whole select soccer experience and I think they may have some regrets when their kid is graduating high school and they wonder where the last 18 years went.

Just some food for thought! flower 
OnTheSurface
OnTheSurface
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooneyhasplugs 7/14/2013, 9:33 am

Dropball wrote:
Rooneyhasplugs wrote:

Sadly... That aplies to parents as well, more often than players in my experience.

true

Rooneyhasplugs
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooneyhasplugs 7/14/2013, 9:35 am

OnTheSurface wrote:
Liverpool00/02 wrote:But stop complaining about everything, it gets old.
I don't think OP was complaining as such.  It's a very valid question.   We as parents drive our kids everywhere, we spend money, we sit in the heat for hours ... we spend so much time, effort, money; blood, sweat, and tears on this whole select soccer effort.  And to what end?  

There are many valid answers to this question, and each family will have their own answer as to whether it is all worth it.   But, I do think some parents have some unrealistic expectations of the whole select soccer experience and I think they may have some regrets when their kid is graduating high school and they wonder where the last 18 years went.  

Just some food for thought!  flower 

A lot of truth in your comment. I'd love to see a survey done of parents at the end of their select soccer experience.

Rooneyhasplugs
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next