Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

How important is playing experience for you as a parent? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

How important is playing experience for you as a parent?

+5
davito
Madcap
go99
allen04
Rightback
9 posters

Go down

How important is playing experience for you as a parent? Empty How important is playing experience for you as a parent?

Post by Guest 9/5/2013, 3:53 pm

Meaning, is it important that your bb's or dd's coach be an ex player? How about someone that has never played the game at a HS level or above. What if the coach has a real passion for coaching kids and is effective? What would you chose, pro's vs non pro's?

Reason I ask is that my son's current coach is great, has many certifications however he didn't play the game at any level. I am not thinking about leaving our team so coaches dont PM me, I will immediately block you.

I am looking for input from parents

Back to top Go down

How important is playing experience for you as a parent? Empty Re: How important is playing experience for you as a parent?

Post by Rightback 9/5/2013, 3:59 pm

I don't think it counts for much (or anything). Dick Motta won a couple of NBA Championships and never played a high school, college, or pro basketball game. He could coach though. Most great coaches were middling players (Wegner, Mourinho, etc.) were frustrated players at best. Better question to ask is what about having been a player at a pro level (or whatever) contributes to your child's development? What about the training methods as they were implemented and understood at the time are relevant today? I am not saying it does not mean anything...but i cannot think of what it would be...i have had both and candidly, the former pro players you can keep. Most have never gotten over their lack of success after their playing days were over...

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

How important is playing experience for you as a parent? Empty Re: How important is playing experience for you as a parent?

Post by Guest 9/5/2013, 4:03 pm

Rightback wrote:I don't think it counts for much (or anything). Dick Motta won a couple of NBA Championships and never played a high school, college, or pro basketball game. He could coach though. Most great coaches were middling players (Wegner, Mourinho, etc.) were frustrated players at best.  Better question to ask is what about having been a player at a pro level (or whatever) contributes to your child's development? What about the training methods as they were implemented and understood at the time are relevant today?  I am not saying it does not mean anything...but i cannot think of what it would be...i have had both and candidly, the former pro players you can keep. Most have never gotten over their lack of success after their playing days were over...
Interesting ...

Thanks for the feedback.

Back to top Go down

Post by allen04 9/5/2013, 4:04 pm

Dennis Franchione never played football. Ask an Aggie how that worked out.
allen04
allen04
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 9/5/2013, 4:05 pm

no it doesn't matter to me at all. Look at Wenger from Arsenal or Morinho neither had a stellar playing career. Even Alex Fergusen has his star studded career as a manager not a player. Sometime a playing career can be a hinderance. Instead of being a student of the game they rely on their experience as a player which after a number of years can have little relevance to the modern game. Put it this way if a teams coach played pro soccer a number of years ago. The skill he had and what he took would no longer suffice to make it in todays world
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Madcap 9/5/2013, 4:31 pm

Coaches that have never played are ok so long as they have 1.) slept at a Holiday Inn Express or 2.) have a thick foreign accent. .... If you can find one that has both, you can probably make it to the Dallas Cup or Ayses Summer Classic. tongue tongue tongue
Madcap
Madcap
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rightback 9/5/2013, 5:03 pm

allen04 wrote:Dennis Franchione never played football.  Ask an Aggie how that worked out.
Weird too seeing how well every other Aggie coach has worked out. Not playing must have been the problem. For all of them.

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by davito 9/5/2013, 5:47 pm

go99 wrote: Even Alex Fergusen has his star studded career as a manager not a player.  Sometime a playing career can be a hinderance.  
Fergie was top scorer in the Scottish league, and a record transfer price when he moved to Glasgow Rangers. Not too shabby a playing career if you ask me. Yes he went onto greater things over a 40 year career in management but I think his playing experience was a big part of that.

Agree that frequently the better managers are coming from the ranks of those that hang up their boots early through injury etc. I think in part this is because they have to make it the hard way in management as opposed to the super stars who walk into the big job the day they stop playing and are out of their depth. Think Alan Shearer at Newcastle. This seems to be a particularly British disease though. For example Denis Bergkamp has gone into coaching in Holland but is learning his craft before taking on a high profile job.

As far as our kids are concerned. I prefer a coach that has played to a sufficiently high level e.g. college because I feel that they should really get the ins and outs of tactics and the finer details. I coached my son in Rec and that was fine. I know the game and I have the accent Cool but did not play to any great level. By the time it came to select I was only too happy to hand over to the pros.

Of course being a good player does not automatically equal a good coach. A coach needs to be a good teacher. The playing experience just provides the detailed inside knowledge.

davito
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 9/5/2013, 6:01 pm

rdeal486 wrote:Meaning, is it important that your bb's or dd's coach be an ex player?  How about someone that has never played the game at a HS level or above.  What if the coach has a real passion for coaching kids and is effective?  What would you chose, pro's vs non pro's?

Reason I ask is that my son's current coach is great, has many certifications however he didn't play the game at any level.  I am not thinking about leaving our team so coaches dont PM me, I will immediately block you.

I am looking for input from parents

It's comparible to the difference between a rocket scientist trying to teach something that may come easy to them as opposed to a struggling yet intelligent (less than certified Scientist) that remembers how hard it was to learn x,y or z. The "BEST" in any profession may not be the best "Teachers". Your bb and/or dd could play advanced wall ball games daily at home and end up being among the best technical players in the world WITHOUT coaching Very Happy 
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 9/5/2013, 6:01 pm

It's comparible to the difference between a rocket scientist trying to teach something that may come easy to them as opposed to a struggling yet intelligent (less than certified Scientist) that remembers how hard it was to learn x,y or z. The "BEST" in any profession may not be the best "Teachers". Your bb and/or dd could play advanced wall ball games daily at home and end up being among the best technical players in the world WITHOUT coaching
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 34blast 9/5/2013, 6:40 pm

My preference would be a coach that played beyond high school with a proven track record of development. However at the younger ages it is okay if they played some, have certifications and teach according to the lesson plans outlined by US youth soccer. US youth soccer lesson plans and technique should be taught regardless of experience. I see too many coaches who played significantly that do not have a clue. Lesson plans for 8 year olds will be quite different than 16 year olds.

34blast
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rightback 9/5/2013, 8:28 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1544547-top-5-world-football-coaches-who-never-played-professionally

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 9/5/2013, 9:10 pm

davito wrote:
go99 wrote: Even Alex Fergusen has his star studded career as a manager not a player.  Sometime a playing career can be a hinderance.  
Fergie was top scorer in the Scottish league, and a record transfer price when he moved to Glasgow Rangers. Not too shabby a playing career if you ask me. Yes he went onto greater things over a 40 year career in management but I think his playing experience was a big part of that.

Agree that frequently the better managers are coming from the ranks of those that hang up their boots early through injury etc. I think in part this is because they have to make it the hard way in management as opposed to the super stars who walk into the big job the day they stop playing and are out of their depth. Think Alan Shearer at Newcastle. This seems to be a particularly British disease though. For example Denis Bergkamp has gone into coaching in Holland but is learning his craft before taking on a high profile job.

As far as our kids are concerned. I prefer a coach that has played to a sufficiently high level e.g. college because I feel that they should really get the ins and outs of tactics and the finer details. I coached my son in Rec and that was fine. I know the game and I have the accent Cool but did not play to any great level. By the time it came to select I was only too happy to hand over to the pros.

Of course being a good player does not automatically equal a good coach. A coach needs to be a good teacher. The playing experience just provides the detailed inside knowledge.

enough said. And his record transfer fee was a record for the time between scottish clubs not an overall record. I stand by the fact that his soccer career was not outstanding
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by vman 9/5/2013, 9:28 pm

[quote="davito

[/quote]Totally agree…
Also liked the accent bit, I tell everyone I’m from East-Texas Smile 
Here are my criteria: 1) has to be good with kids (and parents), 2) has to know/understand the game, 3) has to be fair and tough on all the players…, and 4) and this is important one – your kid has to like and respect him…
cheers 

vman
vman
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 1halfback 9/5/2013, 9:49 pm

I agree with 34blast that having playing experience at or beyond college level definitely helps for younger age groups say u8-12. This is the critical stage for developing individual skills and the ability to read the game. Repetition is the key to master individual skills. So in general, telling a u8-9 kid to do something versus showing him how to do it right are two very different learning experiences.

1halfback
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by davito 9/5/2013, 10:17 pm

[/quote]enough said.  And his record transfer fee was a record for the time between scottish clubs not an overall record.  I stand by the fact that his soccer career was not outstanding[/quote]
Ok so he wasn't Pele but Scottish football was a bigger deal back then and he was hardly a nobody like, say, Brendan Rodgers.
davito
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down