Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

High School Soccer Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

High School Soccer

+13
mrclean
FlatBack4
omega striker
my2cents
timber
scoreNOmore
NTX Parent
happyfeet
treefrog13
Superstitious
soccerrus
Giggs_11
rocks
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

High School Soccer Empty High School Soccer

Post by rocks 6/25/2009, 3:54 pm

I know it's WAY early, but I thought I'd throw out a topic, just to get something going.

Since the 8th grade kids are moving into high school, what are the your ideas, thoughts, warnings, suggestions, complaints, hijacks, etc.

For example, at my kid's HS, it looks like there will be 6 incoming 95 D-1 players, and maybe 8-10 94 & 95 D-2 players. I would think a pretty strong incoming freshman class, but is it?

And how long before the HS coaches are NOT allowed to work out with the incoming freshman? Are summer camps with the HS coach OK?
rocks
rocks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

High School Soccer Empty Re: High School Soccer

Post by Giggs_11 6/27/2009, 8:12 am

What school does your son go to? Sounds like a good situation.

As long as football coaches are allowed to hold summer strength and conditioning camps, HS soccer coaches will be allowed to have their own camp with incoming 8th graders.
Giggs_11
Giggs_11
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerrus 6/29/2009, 8:42 am

rocks wrote:I know it's WAY early, but I thought I'd throw out a topic, just to get something going.

Since the 8th grade kids are moving into high school, what are the your ideas, thoughts, warnings, suggestions, complaints, hijacks, etc.

For example, at my kid's HS, it looks like there will be 6 incoming 95 D-1 players, and maybe 8-10 94 & 95 D-2 players. I would think a pretty strong incoming freshman class, but is it?

And how long before the HS coaches are NOT allowed to work out with the incoming freshman? Are summer camps with the HS coach OK?

This has to be on your freshman/jv teams? Not varsity. That is a stacked team never the less. Where is this.

soccerrus
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Superstitious 6/29/2009, 4:28 pm

High school may be all that you want it to be. There are always a lot of serious injuries in high school soccer compared to select. In many cases, younger players will play up. In other cases, non-select players don't play the same way and some of athletes from other sports. We lost four kids for the spring on our team this spring from high school injuries.

Superstitious
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Giggs_11 7/4/2009, 2:41 pm

Sounds like your kids are not adequately trained by your HS coach. I would never put a player in a situation where they would not succeed especially if there is an outside chance they could get hurt. Besides a highly skilled select player should know how to avoid dangerous situations.
Giggs_11
Giggs_11
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by treefrog13 7/4/2009, 7:20 pm

Giggs_11 wrote:Sounds like your kids are not adequately trained by your HS coach. I would never put a player in a situation where they would not succeed especially if there is an outside chance they could get hurt. Besides a highly skilled select player should know how to avoid dangerous situations.

Except that a clumsy kid 1-2 years older - or a football (American) kid, for that matter - can take you out willy-nilly with a bad/spiteful slide-tackle, all in the name of being tough/physical.. Exclamation

treefrog13
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rocks 7/6/2009, 9:28 am

rus & super

May have misspoken a bit. I know the number of D1 kids is correct, but having missed the summer camp/workouts, my comments were based on feedback from parents who were there. So, given that my knowledge (or lack thereof) is secondhand . . . .

Anyway, the school is CHS.

My guess is that a really good HS soccer season is not just due to one class, but several. I mean, really, how many programs have more than 11 D-1 players per year?

Looking forward to the year. Have to make sure the grades stay OK, as now they actually count for something.
rocks
rocks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by happyfeet 7/6/2009, 1:56 pm

rocks wrote:rus & super

May have misspoken a bit. I know the number of D1 kids is correct, but having missed the summer camp/workouts, my comments were based on feedback from parents who were there. So, given that my knowledge (or lack thereof) is secondhand . . . .

Anyway, the school is CHS.

My guess is that a really good HS soccer season is not just due to one class, but several. I mean, really, how many programs have more than 11 D-1 players per year?

Looking forward to the year. Have to make sure the grades stay OK, as now they actually count for something.

Don't let the fact that they are all D1 players get you too excited. CHS in Frisco had 4 U18 Academy players last year and 5 or 6 D1 players....and they sucked! Lots of talent, horrible coaching.
happyfeet
happyfeet
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Giggs_11 7/6/2009, 2:31 pm

All of the big programs like Plano, Marcus, Coppell, Jesuit, etc. have more than 11 DI players, usually the entire varsity team plays Classic I. It is very rare that a 4a program will have the amount of talent you say will be at CHS next year. Good Luck!!!
Giggs_11
Giggs_11
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rocks 7/7/2009, 2:18 pm

Giggs_11 wrote:All of the big programs like Plano, Marcus, Coppell, Jesuit, etc. have more than 11 DI players, usually the entire varsity team plays Classic I. It is very rare that a 4a program will have the amount of talent you say will be at CHS next year. Good Luck!!!

Hence my question. If there are, say 22 kids on varsity, and all are D1 players, obviously not all will be Seniors. Perhaps 8 seniors, 8 juniors, and 6 sophomores. So, does each class need to provide 8 or so D1 players by their Junior and senior years if the entire varsity is to be D1?

BTW, I know many non-D1 kids could play at that level, but don't due to different circumstances.
rocks
rocks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by NTX Parent 7/7/2009, 6:40 pm

Our players have had 2 years of hs and most are DONE - injuries......playing with non-skilled players, etc. Game is totally different and isn't for everyone.
NTX Parent
NTX Parent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by scoreNOmore 7/7/2009, 9:36 pm

I'll just be happy IF my sons' HS can scrape enough players together to form a team!!!
scoreNOmore
scoreNOmore
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by timber 7/8/2009, 9:27 pm

Just a warning, if you're new to HS soccer don't expect the same level of play you see in Classic League. Even if you have a complete roster of D1 seniors and juniors. Boys come from a variety of styles and a lot of times play down to the competition. You'll run into some high schools that don't have a single D1, D2 or D3 player. They'll have a team of football players with a football coach in charge. It can get ugly.
timber
timber
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 7/8/2009, 11:10 pm

I know this will not go over well but here it is. The referying at times is awful. Many of the refs are the same you see at local rec associations, indoor and even the select leagues but for some reason they let these games go into thug soccer. This is not all games but when it happpens the games spiral dangerously out of control.
Timber is right. My son is going into one of those schools. No select players period. At least they do have a coach who played division 1 college.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by timber 7/8/2009, 11:25 pm

Agree with my2cents. Too many times the refs do not have Classic League experience and are overwhelmed by the pace and physical play.

At least your son is lucky enough to have a coach who played in college. We're fortunate to have a coach and a couple of teachers who assist that all have high level playing experience (college and above). Too many schools have football coaches who don't give a flip about the game. They're just interested in getting the coaching stipend.
timber
timber
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 7/9/2009, 9:09 am

timber wrote:Just a warning, if you're new to HS soccer don't expect the same level of play you see in Classic League. Even if you have a complete roster of D1 seniors and juniors. Boys come from a variety of styles and a lot of times play down to the competition. You'll run into some high schools that don't have a single D1, D2 or D3 player. They'll have a team of football players with a football coach in charge. It can get ugly.
kind of like Hockey on grass? affraid
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by happyfeet 7/9/2009, 9:44 am

timber wrote:Agree with my2cents. Too many times the refs do not have Classic League experience and are overwhelmed by the pace and physical play.

At least your son is lucky enough to have a coach who played in college. We're fortunate to have a coach and a couple of teachers who assist that all have high level playing experience (college and above). Too many schools have football coaches who don't give a flip about the game. They're just interested in getting the coaching stipend.

Too damn cold to ref high school! Besides, my son plays and if I reffed hs, I'd miss his games. Add to that the potential for having to ref in the awful dual system and it's just not worth it. That system is unfair to the boys. Depending on how an individual team plays, you are are way too far from the play to make good calls.
happyfeet
happyfeet
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by rocks 7/9/2009, 11:39 am

Lessee . . . .

Referee in freezing cold weather
Miss my kids' HS games
First year line JV games
Later work a goofy split ref system
Earn about the same $ as rec games

Thinking . . . . .

Shoot! Not sure what to do.
rocks
rocks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 7/9/2009, 3:44 pm

Actually pays ALOT more than rec. With travel allowance you can make about twice as much as most rec or even some select leagues pay.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by happyfeet 7/9/2009, 3:51 pm

I dont do it for the money, so I'll still pass! tongue
happyfeet
happyfeet
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by rocks 7/9/2009, 4:03 pm

my2cents wrote:Actually pays ALOT more than rec. With travel allowance you can make about twice as much as most rec or even some select leagues pay.

Hmm. Let me know what a HS ref can make, and then compare it to what I make for 4 short academy games, down the street from my house. Plus, 2 of my kids can AR with me. I understand that w/ HS games there might (will) be some commuting involved. I suppose travel allowance would help.

I really don't know what a HS ref can make. I've been told, but don't recall. Maybe I'll check it out. What's a reasonable amount a HS ref should earn for 2 games and an hour drive each way?

BTW, it's true we don't get in it for the money, but to entice me to do something that's not my first choice, the money would have to be better.
rocks
rocks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Giggs_11 7/9/2009, 4:19 pm

Depends on the school if you get good refs or not. Some districts short change the refs on travel and other expenses so they do not go to certain schools. Fortunately I am in a district where my AD will pay the extra rider fee, so I happen to see the same refs during the week in HS and on the weekend in Classic League. I could only remember two games this past year where the refing was not up the challenge of a fast paced HS game.
Giggs_11
Giggs_11
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 7/10/2009, 11:07 am

Giggs_11 wrote:Depends on the school if you get good refs or not. Some districts short change the refs on travel and other expenses so they do not go to certain schools. Fortunately I am in a district where my AD will pay the extra rider fee, so I happen to see the same refs during the week in HS and on the weekend in Classic League. I could only remember two games this past year where the refing was not up the challenge of a fast paced HS game.
nobody even really cares about HS soccer so why bother? it seems to me if your playing classic league why danger yourself playing free-for-all soccer aka HS soccer ?
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by rocks 7/10/2009, 1:49 pm

omega striker wrote:
Giggs_11 wrote:Depends on the school if you get good refs or not. Some districts short change the refs on travel and other expenses so they do not go to certain schools. Fortunately I am in a district where my AD will pay the extra rider fee, so I happen to see the same refs during the week in HS and on the weekend in Classic League. I could only remember two games this past year where the refing was not up the challenge of a fast paced HS game.
nobody even really cares about HS soccer so why bother? it seems to me if your playing classic league why danger yourself playing free-for-all soccer aka HS soccer ?

Omega,

Are you a parent or player? As a parent, I certainly don't want any of my (many) kids hurt playing HS. I'd venture to say that most of their soccer-playing friends' parents are looking forward to their upcoming HS years.
Based on 9 seasons (so far) of my kids playing HS, I haven't seen too many problems, but like you, I am wary. My DD had a classmate who received a major college commitment after her sophomore year, with the understanding she would not play any more HS. Obviously, there's something to your concern . . . .
rocks
rocks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 7/10/2009, 3:05 pm

rocks wrote:
omega striker wrote:

Omega,

Are you a parent or player? As a parent, I certainly don't want any of my (many) kids hurt playing HS. I'd venture to say that most of their soccer-playing friends' parents are looking forward to their upcoming HS years.
Based on 9 seasons (so far) of my kids playing HS, I haven't seen too many problems, but like you, I am wary. My DD had a classmate who received a major college commitment after her sophomore year, with the understanding she would not play any more HS. Obviously, there's something to your concern . . . .
exactly!
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next