Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

High School Soccer - Page 2 Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

High School Soccer

+13
mrclean
FlatBack4
omega striker
my2cents
timber
scoreNOmore
NTX Parent
happyfeet
treefrog13
Superstitious
soccerrus
Giggs_11
rocks
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

High School Soccer - Page 2 Empty Re: High School Soccer

Post by omega striker 7/10/2009, 3:05 pm

rocks wrote:
omega striker wrote:
Giggs_11 wrote:Depends on the school if you get good refs or not. Some districts short change the refs on travel and other expenses so they do not go to certain schools. Fortunately I am in a district where my AD will pay the extra rider fee, so I happen to see the same refs during the week in HS and on the weekend in Classic League. I could only remember two games this past year where the refing was not up the challenge of a fast paced HS game.
nobody even really cares about HS soccer so why bother? it seems to me if your playing classic league why danger yourself playing free-for-all soccer aka HS soccer ?

Omega,

Are you a parent or player? As a parent, I certainly don't want any of my (many) kids hurt playing HS. I'd venture to say that most of their soccer-playing friends' parents are looking forward to their upcoming HS years.
Based on 9 seasons (so far) of my kids playing HS, I haven't seen too many problems, but like you, I am wary. My DD had a classmate who received a major college commitment after her sophomore year, with the understanding she would not play any more HS. Obviously, there's something to your concern . . . .
exactly!

omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FlatBack4 7/10/2009, 5:19 pm

omega striker wrote:
rocks wrote:
omega striker wrote:
Giggs_11 wrote:Depends on the school if you get good refs or not. Some districts short change the refs on travel and other expenses so they do not go to certain schools. Fortunately I am in a district where my AD will pay the extra rider fee, so I happen to see the same refs during the week in HS and on the weekend in Classic League. I could only remember two games this past year where the refing was not up the challenge of a fast paced HS game.
nobody even really cares about HS soccer so why bother? it seems to me if your playing classic league why danger yourself playing free-for-all soccer aka HS soccer ?

Omega,

Are you a parent or player? As a parent, I certainly don't want any of my (many) kids hurt playing HS. I'd venture to say that most of their soccer-playing friends' parents are looking forward to their upcoming HS years.
Based on 9 seasons (so far) of my kids playing HS, I haven't seen too many problems, but like you, I am wary. My DD had a classmate who received a major college commitment after her sophomore year, with the understanding she would not play any more HS. Obviously, there's something to your concern . . . .
exactly!

You guys are worried about HS soccer?

What league do the play in now? What age group? U16/U17/U19 CL D1 is way, way more dangerous than anything I've seen at the HS level.
FlatBack4
FlatBack4
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by mrclean 7/11/2009, 2:36 pm

While both my boys play club soccer, I do see some advantages in high school soccer. Some of these are:

1. Money: Every kid has a chance to play for their school.
It doesn't matter if their parents can shell out
two grand per child. affraid

2. Development: A HS coach can't ignore their weaker
players and replace them next year. They have
to coach the kids they have. cheers

3. Transportation: Again, parents don't have to drive
across town or state twice a week for practice. bounce

4. Strength & Conditioning: The facilities of a typical
school in Texas are impressive. Say what you want
about coaches being "football" oriented, but they
know how to make kids stronger and faster. There
is a lot in common between improving footwork in
runningbacks, quarterbacks, and soccer players.

5. Discipline: HS coaches run their practices away from
the parents (most of the time). If they need to
teach their players how to conduct themselves on
or off the field, it is a pretty simple lesson. Twisted Evil

The biggest disadvantage as perceived by club parent comments is the experience level of the typical school coach. Some coaches have played at the professional or collegiate level, but some have little playing experience. The reason for this is that school coaches usually coach up to 3 sports a year. This and the fact that not every professionally trained soccer player wants to teach kids an academic subject for 8 hours a day, Monday through Friday limits the pool of coaches.

As far as injury, I see more male athletes injuring themselves with cars, 4 wheelers, skiing, and messing around than with soccer. I also think a lot more is being done these days with the girls in ACL injury prevention.

I much prefer soccer as a high school sport than soccer as a business. Club soccer has advantages which is why we participate, but I also choose to promote soccer as a school sport as well.
mrclean
mrclean
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Wizzbangjoe 7/11/2009, 4:28 pm

With all the practice, travel and such of club soccer versus high school soccer, by BB had an intersting observation.

He "loves" the game of soccer, not so much the "job" of soccer.

From his perspective, he enjoyed high school because of the absence of pressure from teammates and parents and just enjoyed representing his school.

On the club side, he has played top flight soccer, seen much of the country, enjoyed an overseas trip and experienced the joys of college recruiting. But he tired of the non-stop pressure, the support, or lack thereof from teammates and the sheer amount of practice.

The quality of soccer in club is far superior to high school, plus the game is played on grass, not the artificial turf of High School. He felt that playing on turf takes a lot away from the game.

Just some observations...

Wizzbangjoe
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

High School Soccer - Page 2 Empty HS Soccer

Post by coachdom 7/11/2009, 7:06 pm

Some of the things referees consider when choosing which high school games to work (in no particular order):

1. Temperature
2. Drive (distance, traffic, and rate of pay for travel)
3. Referee Assignor
4. Behavior of a school's coach and fans
5. Skill level (boys vs girls, jv vs var, big schools vs small)
6. How quickly pay checks are sent out
7. Own kids playing HS soccer
8. Per game pay rate
9. Uniform costs - long and shortsleeved referee jerseys in 4 colors at $45-$60 each, plus additional gear for rain and cold
10. Attending meetings

In my opinion there are too many games on Tuesdays and Fridays and not enough referees. It seems like every HS stadium is playing at the same time on those nights. There has to be a way to alternate and use Monday, Thursdays, and Saturdays to lighten the load. Wouldn't it be nice to have 3-referee crews every night? Maybe the assignors could then be able to better pick and choose the referees they use based more on ability than need or locartion.

Few referees like running a "dual", but a well-run dual by two adults in shape and in position is not unheard of. Would you rather have one referee and two assistant coaches running the lines with flags in their hands?
coachdom
coachdom
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchfever 7/14/2009, 9:07 pm

Superstitious wrote:High school may be all that you want it to be. There are always a lot of serious injuries in high school soccer compared to select. In many cases, younger players will play up. In other cases, non-select players don't play the same way and some of athletes from other sports. We lost four kids for the spring on our team this spring from high school injuries.

Super-
Injuries happen at every level of soccer. I do agree that there are stupid tackles that are given by non club players in HS, but I've seen just as vicous tackles given and maybe more in Classic One. My son has received some of the most hard core tackles from people he knows in Classic. If you're any good they will come at you.....
pitchfever
pitchfever
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

High School Soccer - Page 2 Empty High School Coaching

Post by Liverpool Boys 8/5/2009, 4:57 pm

I am a new coach to the area and already involved with club but i have been coaching JV Boys in California and would love to coach out here in the DFW area if anyone knows of school still looking please let me know.

We won the league with a 14-2-5 and came second in our xmas tournament.

310-343-0831

Liverpool Boys
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by my2cents 8/5/2009, 5:04 pm

I know that the JV coach at Boswell High School in Saginaw is not returning. I don't know if the position is filled or not. Good head coach, an improving program.

my2cents
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by pitchfever 8/5/2009, 7:34 pm

omega striker wrote:
rocks wrote:
omega striker wrote:

Omega,

exactly!
Injuries happen in all soccer leagues - you can't be afraid to play.
If you choose not to play HS or indoor or whatever, I will not be critical of anyone for making that decision.
I will say that I would have hated to miss our HS experience - my BB has really enjoyed both his C1 and high school experience - his only injury came in C1, but it could have happened anywhere - if you're any good, they will try to take you out at any level - you go by them consistently and they get frustrated and slide tackles will come - you just have to have your head on a swivel and make sure your body is as strong as possible.
My BB started as a freshman in HS and it really taught him how to use his body against older / bigger opponents and it has really helped him in play in club against larger National opponents - but it is a two edged sword, make your own decision......
pitchfever
pitchfever
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by rocks 8/13/2009, 9:26 am

Pitch
"My son has received some of the most hard core tackles from people he knows in Classic. If you're any good they will come at you."

Razz
rocks
rocks
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2