Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Integrity Of Coaches Bio's Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Integrity Of Coaches Bio's

+7
Soccerinsanity
davito
omega striker
newparent
Number13
ontherightside
SoccerXXX
11 posters

Go down

Integrity Of Coaches Bio's Empty Integrity Of Coaches Bio's

Post by SoccerXXX 2/9/2012, 3:11 pm

On a whim I took a NTX coach from one of clubs and tried to track down some of their bio. For this individual they list being on the rosters of two professional teams. In looking up the rosters for those particular years (thank you google / wiki) I did not find them. Additionally it looks by their bio that they also played 5 years of college ball.

My question to the group is 1) Do members on this board place some weight to a coaches bio when selecting them (among other criteria) and 2) does inaccuracies in their bio (resume if you will) give concern about the character of the individual?
SoccerXXX
SoccerXXX
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Integrity Of Coaches Bio's Empty Re: Integrity Of Coaches Bio's

Post by ontherightside 2/9/2012, 3:28 pm

1) Very little
2) yes

I know a well-known Dad/Coach in these parts that coaches teams and passes them off once they reach select age. A majority of the teams finished in first place D1 CL. I know he played soccer, but not on a professional level at all. Has nothing to do with his coaching abilities. His results speak for themselves.

ontherightside
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 2/9/2012, 3:36 pm

I just want the coach to have a foreign accent. Anything else is superfluous.

I think "obviously knows what he is doing" is sufficient for me in terms of knowledge of the game. I don't care whether they played for ManU or played for Mid-Western state. Yes, I think playing at a higher level helps, but it comes down to their ability to teach it. If they were constantly bringing up their playing days, and I knew it was BS, then it might get annoying. But otherwise, shrug. I guess I'd think they were kind of dumb if they listed something that could be easily debunked. I'd be a little less impressed if they lied about their coaching bio than their playing bio.

I'm sure everybody embellishes their CV to some extent. My current employer still thinks I helped Dad Joiner discover the East Texas Oil Field.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by newparent 2/9/2012, 4:11 pm

Jerry Jones has been the General Manager of the Dallas Cowboys for 20 years. Would you hire him as your GM? Resumes mean nothing.

They must be a teacher. Coaches jobs are to teach the game.

Well, Unless you're Mark Snell and then you just need to be able to pluck the best players from other FCD teams. Wait, maybe he does so well teaching possession soccer because of his background as a goalie.

newparent
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 2/9/2012, 4:26 pm

newparent wrote:Jerry Jones has been the General Manager of the Dallas Cowboys for 20 years. Would you hire him as your GM? Resumes mean nothing.

They must be a teacher. Coaches jobs are to teach the game.

Well, Unless you're Mark Snell and then you just need to be able to pluck the best players from other FCD teams. Wait, maybe he does so well teaching possession soccer because of his background as a goalie.
lol! hes not the only one guilty of that in these parts!
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by davito 2/9/2012, 4:35 pm

I don't doubt it helps most coaches to have a playing background but...Ken Hitchcock proved that you don't have to have been a professional player to be a successful coach. Similarly AVB did very well at Academica and Porto.
davito
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 2/9/2012, 11:50 pm

If a coach is fabricating a bio, I'd be very careful about believing what he tells me about the plans for my bb. Oh wait, we've already learned that lesson without the bio, haven't we all?
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccersoccer 2/10/2012, 11:33 am

Soccerinsanity wrote:If a coach is fabricating a bio, I'd be very careful about believing what he tells me about the plans for my bb. Oh wait, we've already learned that lesson without the bio, haven't we all?

although not mentioned, many coaches play in a couple of Coed OVER 30 leagues, that has to considered.

Soccersoccer
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 2/10/2012, 12:34 pm

This thread is hilarious.

Why is so much importance placed on coaching?

Coaching at best is 20% of the equation.

Someone mentioned a coach's "winning record"! WTF! (If anything it should send up a huge red flag!)

That is about as important as the sweat off of a rhino's nads...

Having a 'good coach' is NOT a prerequisite to being a great player.

if anything, kids need a coach that makes the game fun and teaches/preaches the fundamentals.

Having a Guardiola, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho isn't going to make a difference.

In fact, 'coaching' may be the absolute worst thing for a young player.

Get away from the friggin electronics, grab a ball and go play!!

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 2/10/2012, 12:36 pm

Just so no one takes my quote out of context, I'm talking about players U14 and below.

U15 and up, yeah a good coach can certainly help. But again, it's only a part.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 2/10/2012, 3:46 pm

Laimport wrote:This thread is hilarious.

Why is so much importance placed on coaching?

Coaching at best is 20% of the equation.

Someone mentioned a coach's "winning record"! WTF! (If anything it should send up a huge red flag!)

That is about as important as the sweat off of a rhino's nads...

Having a 'good coach' is NOT a prerequisite to being a great player.

if anything, kids need a coach that makes the game fun and teaches/preaches the fundamentals.

Having a Guardiola, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho isn't going to make a difference.

99% of this board will disagree with you bro....reason being if mommy and daddy can "pay" for all the skills and camps with the best coaches especially the ones with accents, then their BB is just better then the ones who do not get that training so with their noses sticking up in the air, its just absurd to think that a kid with pure love of the game and talent could possibly be any better! Rolling Eyes
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 2/10/2012, 4:34 pm

Laimport wrote:This thread is hilarious.

I don't think the coach is the prime driver of successful development for my child........

However, you put our group of 8/9 yr olds out at the practice field without a coach and you know what they do? Divide up in groups and play small-sided games for fun? No, they put one in at GK and the other 15 line up along the 18 and hit shots one at a time when called. Every 2-3 minutes you get off a shot at a ball that is sitting still. Its really inspiring.

Coach shows up, they are immediately doing individual drills and getting 50 times the touches. If those touches are technically incorrect, or at the wrong speed, they are getting guidance on that. He's not walking on water, but I don't have any doubt that if I want to get the most out of that particular 1.5 hours, a coach who knows what he is doing is pretty important.

What you do from there is up to you and yours, but most kids need some experienced oversight (or a not-so-gentle push or somebody who makes it fun) to get them pointed in the right direction. Mine likely needs more of a push than average. And what goes on in those 1.5 hours at practice is the basis for everything he tries to do in the league, pickup, futsal, 3v3, backyard, 1v1 in the living room, whatever games that he plays in. Your mileage may vary. Everybody is always quick to assume whatever works for them works for everybody else.

I have no idea what our coach's bio is or if its full of crap.
Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 2/10/2012, 5:28 pm

You failed to read the entire post.

Either that, or you are taking it out of context.

I said coaches are needed to teach fundamentals.

and let's face it...parents are really more concerned with wins than actually learning the game.

Omega..great point and I know it's wasted breath on my part.

Just that it's frustrating seeing people place such a high priority on 'buying the right experience'.

I'm all for teaching. I'm just not under any delusions that I need Jose Murinho to coach my kid.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 2/10/2012, 6:25 pm

Laimport wrote:You failed to read the entire post.

and let's face it...parents are really more concerned with wins than actually learning the game.

Omega..great point and I know it's wasted breath on my part.

Just that it's frustrating seeing people place such a high priority on 'buying the right experience'.

I'm all for teaching. I'm just not under any delusions that I need Jose Murinho to coach my kid.
brotha a few of us on this site hear ya loud and clear! Cool
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 2/14/2012, 4:29 pm

Laimport wrote:You failed to read the entire post.

Lol, yeah, I had a hard time slogging my way through your ten sentences. Somewhere around the Battle of Borodino I must have drifted off to sleep.

You said "If anything, coaches are needed to teach fundamentals". That suggests that you think there is a good chance no coach is needed at all, but if one is, its to teach fundamentals. Thats not the same thing as a coach is needed to teach fundamentals. Every case is different, but my kid needs a coach to teach him fundamentals. He's not learning it in the favela, as cool as that would be....

Which goes along with the

"In fact, 'coaching' may be the absolute worst thing for a young player."

Which, first of all, is not a fact. Its your opinion. And after further elucidation, it sounds like your opinion is that "coaching to try to win a game is probably the worst thing for a young player."

Thing is I agree with what you meant, just not what you wrote. Very Happy Just sayin. Though yeah, winning = learning with most folks. I kind of figure learning = winning.

Cheers

Number13
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by scout 2/18/2012, 8:15 pm

Every so often I get on this blog to just read the entries, but I never post. Today I felt compeled to respond on a coach's integrity and share a positive experience we had with Coach Mark Snell(who often times is "beaten up" in these posts)and Coach Stan Renfro.

Mark was one of my son's coaches in his younger years. He attended my son's "Grandparent's Day" at his school as his special guest because my son did not have grandparents living in Dallas. Mark Snell stayed the entire day attending class with my son after the other guests had left. My son felt proud and honored to have his coach sharing part of his life outside of soccer.

A couple of years later, Coach Stan Renfro came to the exact same event as my son's guest. As a parent, I am grateful for the impact these two men left on my son at such an impressionable young age.

I have witnessed many coaches with great soccer resumes, but they are emotionally abusive to the young players. I prefer a coach that has the integrity of a legend such as a Tom Landry or that of the great Mack Brown.

When my son was younger and more impressionable, I always felt it important to find a coach that took a sincere interest in my son on and off the field. Those unselfish acts towards my son by both FC Coach Mark Snell and FC Coach Stan Renfro, to me, showed their integrity as people and as coaches!

scout
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeatlast 2/18/2012, 10:14 pm

ontherightside wrote:1) Very little
2) yes

I know a well-known Dad/Coach in these parts that coaches teams and passes them off once they reach select age. A majority of the teams finished in first place D1 CL. I know he played soccer, but not on a professional level at all. Has nothing to do with his coaching abilities. His results speak for themselves.

Coaching abilities or recruiting abilities?

Freeatlast
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeatlast 2/18/2012, 10:22 pm

scout wrote:Every so often I get on this blog to just read the entries, but I never post. Today I felt compeled to respond on a coach's integrity and share a positive experience we had with Coach Mark Snell(who often times is "beaten up" in these posts)and Coach Stan Renfro.

Mark was one of my son's coaches in his younger years. He attended my son's "Grandparent's Day" at his school as his special guest because my son did not have grandparents living in Dallas. Mark Snell stayed the entire day attending class with my son after the other guests had left. My son felt proud and honored to have his coach sharing part of his life outside of soccer.

A couple of years later, Coach Stan Renfro came to the exact same event as my son's guest. As a parent, I am grateful for the impact these two men left on my son at such an impressionable young age.

I have witnessed many coaches with great soccer resumes, but they are emotionally abusive to the young players. I prefer a coach that has the integrity of a legend such as a Tom Landry or that of the great Mack Brown.

When my son was younger and more impressionable, I always felt it important to find a coach that took a sincere interest in my son on and off the field. Those unselfish acts towards my son by both FC Coach Mark Snell and FC Coach Stan Renfro, to me, showed their integrity as people and as coaches!

Mack Brown?? Rolling Eyes

Freeatlast
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by omega striker 2/18/2012, 11:17 pm

Freeatlast wrote:
ontherightside wrote:1) Very little
2) yes

Coaching abilities or recruiting abilities?
lol!
omega striker
omega striker
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down