Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

The Greatest Sports Team Ever Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

The Greatest Sports Team Ever

+8
Ibystander
Axxman
The German
cds3
PG-Boy
heyyouguys
Laimport
finish1
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Greatest Sports Team Ever Empty The Greatest Sports Team Ever

Post by finish1 6/25/2012, 8:29 am

With Spain poised to eliminate Portugal in the Euro Semis this week, is it too soon to start calling Spain the greatest sports team ever? They won the Euro in 2008, the World Cup in 2010 and they are 2 wins away from a second consecutive Euro.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

The Greatest Sports Team Ever Empty Re: The Greatest Sports Team Ever

Post by Laimport 6/25/2012, 12:00 pm

That's assuming they beat Portugal and Germany. If so, thern yes, they certainly deserve arguments in their favor.

Speaking of germany, they have consistently made finals/semifinals of every major tournament over the last 4 decades. No small achievement.

It can certainly be argued that they are the most consistent national team in world football.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 6/25/2012, 12:05 pm

Didn't the Buffalo Bills make 4 straight Super Bowls? At some point they underachieved. Similarly, Germany should win more Finals.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/25/2012, 12:14 pm

Maybe, but is interesting to note that not all of the fans are excited about the tiki tak style of play that is often lauded by those on this board.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spain-s-deliberate-style-easy-to-criticize-but-hard-to-stop-as-it-rolls-past-france-and-into-the-semis.html

I agree that the Spanish and Barcelona style is probably the best style for winning but I also agree it is boring at times. I wander if this will ever have an effect on the Spanish coaches if they start to hear fans are not interested in the style they are playing. At the highest levels, the game is for entertainment.

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 6/25/2012, 12:51 pm

I agree the point of sports is to entertain the masses. Regarding soccer, my father didn't care for the sport, but he did prefer the British style of serving up the long ball. For me, as a forward, I enjoyed the long ball because I was constantly on the move and shooting on the net. As a coach, I prefer a passing game with a build up to a shot on target.

My guess is that more Spaniards prefer the passing game over the long ball. Especially considering their current run of success.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by heyyouguys 6/25/2012, 1:11 pm

If we're talking about a national team across all sports, I dont think there's much comparison to the USSR mens hockey team... they dominated world championships and olympics for decades.

heyyouguys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by PG-Boy 6/25/2012, 2:12 pm

You guys must've been reading the Wall Street Journal...

SOCCER June 7, 2012, 6:38 p.m. ET

Is Spain's 'La Roja' The Greatest Team Ever?

Not just the best in soccer: the best of all time in any sport. Why the Spanish national team could make history.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303918204577448383166444226.html

PG-Boy
PG-Boy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by cds3 6/25/2012, 2:46 pm

Come on!! Really??!! The best team ever?? I can name 3 other teams right now that are arguably better than Spain and 1 definitely better.... And this is only Soccer National Teams.

Arguably: Cruyff's Neatherlands of the 70's. Ronaldo's Brasil of the 90's. Beckenbauer's Germany of the 70's... (come on, push me for more!!)

Definitely better ("Da" best of all times): Pele's Brasil of the..... actually, there were 3 different "Pele's Brasil-s that won World Cup Championships, so pick one!!

It is very difficult (rather impossible) to compare teams by virtually facing them, so I believe you have to consider the impact in history, dominance (during their time) and innovation, to name some criteria. Spain is not even close to any above; they are not dominant, there is no impact in history, yet (at least not greater than some of the ones I mentioned), and they are not innovators (you can see Cruyff's fingerprints all over the place, via Barcelona). I even read somewhere they are dead-last in the list of World Champions, on goal scoring during their Championship run....

Now, Barcelona does excel in many of those aspects... I don't like their system (I like more vertical play), but I don't see why they could not be considered the best "CLUB" ever.

....but Spain?? Come on, I didn't even mention Italy or Argentina!!
cds3
cds3
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by The German 6/25/2012, 3:35 pm

I vote for Hungary. Lost one game in 6 years. 46 wins - 6 ties - 1 loss.
The German
The German
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Axxman 6/25/2012, 3:42 pm

Gatorz wrote:Maybe, but is interesting to note that not all of the fans are excited about the tiki tak style of play that is often lauded by those on this board.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/spain-s-deliberate-style-easy-to-criticize-but-hard-to-stop-as-it-rolls-past-france-and-into-the-semis.html

I agree that the Spanish and Barcelona style is probably the best style for winning but I also agree it is boring at times. I wander if this will ever have an effect on the Spanish coaches if they start to hear fans are not interested in the style they are playing. At the highest levels, the game is for entertainment.

You need to stop "wandering" so much because what you pose is absurd. Barcelona style of play boring..........really? Tell us what style of play you prefer? Perhaps you are a Chelsea fan, pack 10 in the box and lets pray for break-aways.

Axxman
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/25/2012, 3:49 pm

Axxman wrote:
Gatorz wrote:Maybe, but is interesting to note that not all of the fans are excited about the tiki tak style of play that is often lauded by those on this board.

You need to stop "wandering" so much because what you pose is absurd. Barcelona style of play boring..........really? Tell us what style of play you prefer? Perhaps you are a Chelsea fan, pack 10 in the box and lets pray for break-aways.

Actually, it is BORING at times. It appears I am not the only one that thinks that way either. You can't dispute that if you have the players to hold the ball most of the game and lull the other team to sleep it has been successful. I prefer the EPL style of play that is more direct with playing the ball wide and then switching the field quickly, taking on the outside back or crossing it in for a challenge in the air. In my opinion, it is more exciting to watch and entertaining than the BARCA/Spain style.

Back to top Go down

Post by Axxman 6/25/2012, 3:57 pm

Gatorz wrote:
Axxman wrote:

Actually, it is BORING at times. It appears I am not the only one that thinks that way either. You can't dispute that if you have the players to hold the ball most of the game and lull the other team to sleep it has been successful. I prefer the EPL style of play that is more direct with playing the ball wide and then switching the field quickly, taking on the outside back or crossing it in for a challenge in the air. In my opinion, it is more exciting to watch and entertaining than the BARCA/Spain style.

Interesting. I guess people can look at something and see things very differently. I'll take the Barca way anyday, after all, They play the game as God meant it to be played...

Axxman
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 6/25/2012, 4:03 pm

Didn't you see Barca play live with Messi? Who did they vs?
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Axxman 6/25/2012, 4:14 pm

finish1 wrote:Didn't you see Barca play live with Messi? Who did they vs?

I did get to see Barca play vs Sevilla in May 2010 and the experience and soccer were simply amazing. Probably the best sporting venue I have ever experienced. Got to see Inter Milan play AC Milan live a month ago as well, quite good, but not like Barca soccer.

Axxman
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 6/25/2012, 4:23 pm

AC v Inter. Great rivalry. Like seeing the Subway Series Mets vs Yankees. Generations of passionate fans.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by cds3 6/25/2012, 4:27 pm

Gatorz wrote:
Axxman wrote:

I totally agree. I like the ManU or Madrid type of game better, which is -again- more vertical and powerful. I like the teams that let the opponent play, attack, battle for the ball, not the ones that avoid contact, prefer scoring from within the box and keep the ball away from the other team by system, not with the purpose of scoring the quickest and more often....

But then again, this is what I like and respect others... And that is why I can "buy" that Barcelona is the best Club level team ever.
cds3
cds3
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ibystander 6/25/2012, 5:25 pm

Axxman wrote:
Gatorz wrote:
Axxman wrote:

Interesting. I guess people can look at something and see things very differently. I'll take the Barca way anyday, after all, They play the game as God meant it to be played...
Seriously? Some prefer the English style over Barca? Glad Italy won in PK, because I don't think I can watch another English game of packing the box and little creativity. #9 was a sight for sore eyes, but still, I'm sure the men got nothing out of it.
Ibystander
Ibystander
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Axxman 6/25/2012, 5:40 pm

cds3 wrote:
Gatorz wrote:
Axxman wrote:

I totally agree. I like the ManU or Madrid type of game better, which is -again- more vertical and powerful. I like the teams that let the opponent play, attack, battle for the ball, not the ones that avoid contact, prefer scoring from within the box and keep the ball away from the other team by system, not with the purpose of scoring the quickest and more often....

But then again, this is what I like and respect others... And that is why I can "buy" that Barcelona is the best Club level team ever.

Did you happen to catch the Barcelona vs. ManU Champions League Final where the result meant something? It was almost embarrasing how Barca toyed with them. Keep away??? When Barca loses a ball it's amazing how quickly they get it back, why don't the English just go take it away? Foot skills and moving without the ball might be a couple clues. English soccer is horrible, period. I like the vertical and power game too on occasion, which is why I'll catch an NFL game on any given Sunday.

Axxman
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 2sgrm 6/25/2012, 7:42 pm

Have to put in my vote for possession style of play. Barcelona is in no way boring to watch as I feel their style represents the beauty of the game. Skill, creativity and teamwork.

It is interesting that even here in NTX, kids group into teams based on preference for possession/skill versus strength and speed. I guess that is why we have so many teams, something for everyone!

2sgrm
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PG-Boy 6/25/2012, 9:24 pm

My vote is for Barca style of Tiki-Taka.

Parking the bus, smash-ball, and play for the counter-attack shows a lack of imagination and creativity. Its brutish.

Pele, Maradona, and Messi would've never been discovered in the USA. As kids, they would've been pummeled into smithereens on the pitch. Or worse, labeled as too small.

I shake my head when I watch our '01 games and the other team clears a ball 30 yards out of bounds with a mom screaming, "Well done, Preston!" English style football was on display yesterday. Anybody think the English will ever win a World Cup? Why do we have so many English coaches in this country? Bring in the German, Dutch, and Spanish coaches.
PG-Boy
PG-Boy
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by The German 6/25/2012, 9:37 pm

PG-Boy wrote:My vote is for Barca style of Tiki-Taka.

Parking the bus, smash-ball, and play for the counter-attack shows a lack of imagination and creativity. Its brutish.

Pele, Maradona, and Messi would've never been discovered in the USA. As kids, they would've been pummeled into smithereens on the pitch. Or worse, labeled as too small.

I shake my head when I watch our '01 games and the other team clears a ball 30 yards out of bounds with a mom screaming, "Well done, Preston!" English style football was on display yesterday. Anybody think the English will ever win a World Cup? Why do we have so many English coaches in this country? Bring in the German, Dutch, and Spanish coaches.
On my way. Twisted Evil
The German
The German
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Axxman 6/25/2012, 9:44 pm

LOL!

Axxman
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by cds3 6/26/2012, 12:14 am

Axxman wrote:
cds3 wrote:
Gatorz wrote:
Axxman wrote:

Did you happen to catch the Barcelona vs. ManU Champions League Final where the result meant something? It was almost embarrasing how Barca toyed with them. Keep away??? When Barca loses a ball it's amazing how quickly they get it back, why don't the English just go take it away? Foot skills and moving without the ball might be a couple clues. English soccer is horrible, period. I like the vertical and power game too on occasion, which is why I'll catch an NFL game on any given Sunday.

Did you happen to read what I wrote? Today's Barcelona could well be the best Club-level team of all time.... that doesn't mean I have to adore it like you. I'll take ManU's and Madrid's play-sets, powerful attacks from Rooney and Ronaldo over Messi & Co scoring style any day.... but that's just me.
cds3
cds3
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by FGFF 6/26/2012, 12:30 am

Per the title of this thread, "The Greatest Sports Team Ever", Despite having a lot of love for soccer I'm going to have to go with Basketball and say the original Team USA Dream Team was The Greatest Sports Team Ever. That was a level a domination Spain hasn't come close to reaching. And due to the fact that soccer is more spread out globally and Basketball talent is more concentrated I doubt any team will ever be as dominant as that again.

FGFF
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 6/26/2012, 8:27 am

The NBA Dream Team was the best of American basketball at a single point in time for a given event. Not hardly the greatest sports team ever. I would put the 1980 American hockey team above the NBA Dream Team. Still a single event, but they dislodged Russia's dominance and ended an era.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next