Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

Best coaches for development of kids - Page 2 Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Best coaches for development of kids

+11
go99
ICThelight
Rightback
omega striker
R1
hunden97
Laimport
DragonStryker
td3333
bigtex75081
dudemon
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Best coaches for development of kids - Page 2 Empty Re: Best coaches for development of kids

Post by Laimport 4/18/2013, 12:46 pm

Just curious. Where do the great centerbacks, outside backs and defensive mids come from?

Everyone brings up the attacking prodigies. They are much easier to spot at a young age.

There's a kid that just turned 18 that plays for PSG. A holding mid primarily. (On loan to Toulose right now.) Rabiot is his name. Was considered 'not good enough' for Clairefonntaine. Later picked up and released by Man City.

Yet, at 17 he was getting first team minutes at a top club.

This is very common. Jordi Alba was at Barca's academy and was released. Now he's back and is contributing.

The point is it takes different sets of skills to play the game. Not every kid is going to be a world class attacker.

Although I agree that up until 15, technique should be top priority. And technique isn't just dribbling and taking people on. It's control/first touch, passing and heading.

Just like any other sport you can only teach the fundamentals. The rest is the player's hard work and experimentation.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Best coaches for development of kids - Page 2 Empty Re: Best coaches for development of kids

Post by go99 4/18/2013, 12:49 pm

pique was a striker at Barca academy
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/18/2013, 12:51 pm

Laimport wrote:Just curious. Where do the great centerbacks, outside backs and defensive mids come from?

Everyone brings up the attacking prodigies. They are much easier to spot at a young age.

There's a kid that just turned 18 that plays for PSG. A holding mid primarily. (On loan to Toulose right now.) Rabiot is his name. Was considered 'not good enough' for Clairefonntaine. Later picked up and released by Man City.

Yet, at 17 he was getting first team minutes at a top club.

This is very common. Jordi Alba was at Barca's academy and was released. Now he's back and is contributing.

The point is it takes different sets of skills to play the game. Not every kid is going to be a world class attacker.

Although I agree that up until 15, technique should be top priority. And technique isn't just dribbling and taking people on. It's control/first touch, passing and heading.

Just like any other sport you can only teach the fundamentals. The rest is the player's hard work and experimentation.

i agree, everyone cheers for goals, i like to watch who had the vision to set up the goal, who made the killer pass, the switch because the defense was out of position. those things i appreciate, not the toe poke in....

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 4/18/2013, 12:57 pm

I think some of that is because the skill and passing of say a Rio Ferdinand or Danni Alves is being replaced by size and power in defending. But you often find that a skilled attacking youth player ends up as a defender latter
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/18/2013, 1:17 pm

go99 wrote:I think some of that is because the skill and passing of say a Rio Ferdinand or Danni Alves is being replaced by size and power in defending. But you often find that a skilled attacking youth player ends up as a defender latter

I heard the same thing, that most defenders were once great attacking players but slowly moved to the defensive end of the field as they got older. Not sure what that means for the kids that have always played in a defensive position. Will the kids playing defender at age 11 get pushed off the field when the attackers start to move back towards defense? Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 4/18/2013, 1:27 pm

As long the defender is one of the most skilled on the field.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by arsenalfan 4/18/2013, 8:06 pm

go99 wrote:pique was a striker at Barca academy

This is not true. Since his early days from the academy team piqué has always been a defensive minded player. He might have been played as emergency striker and scored goals but his primary position all the way through was defensive midfielder because he could read the game very well with it in front of him.

The mindset of players is different when you play at that level. A good coach can tell quickly whether the player is good at reading the play in front of him as opposed to having the ability to play with your back to the goal. drift forward or stay back. We are not talking about North Texas soccer To prepare for that level you can't just make a striker a center back. If you could then that player had no business being a striker in the first place.

arsenalfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by R1 4/18/2013, 10:10 pm

arsenalfan wrote:

This is not true. Since his early days from the academy team piqué has always been a defensive minded player. He might have been played as emergency striker and scored goals but his primary position all the way through was defensive midfielder because he could read the game very well with it in front of him.

The mindset of players is different when you play at that level. A good coach can tell quickly whether the player is good at reading the play in front of him as opposed to having the ability to play with your back to the goal. drift forward or stay back. We are not talking about North Texas soccer To prepare for that level you can't just make a striker a center back. If you could then that player had no business being a striker in the first place.

Well, he was 10 years old when he joined Barca's Academy program, so Go99 must be talking about all the time he played striker before 10 years of age. Thats when players develop their skills . . .

Anyway, here's the official Barca bio on Pique: http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/staff/players/pique/biography " . . . gained a reputation for goal scoring despite his defensive position."

Ajax in the 1970's-80's actually did only recruit strikers, and move them to other positions - as part of their total football strategy (players changing positions constantly during games). Thats where that thought came from. The theory has changed since then though, and now with the Spanish style play - position and positioning is more important - quick movement of the ball through the different positions to keep the defense off balance is more important than players moving through different positions. So I don't think you have to be a striker to move on to the next level - just be the best player you can be at the position you are in.
R1
R1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by arsenalfan 4/18/2013, 10:22 pm

cheers
R1 wrote:
arsenalfan wrote:

Well, he was 10 years old when he joined Barca's Academy program, so Go99 must be talking about all the time he played striker before 10 years of age. Thats when players develop their skills . . .

Anyway, here's the official Barca bio on Pique: http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/staff/players/pique/biography " . . . gained a reputation for goal scoring despite his defensive position."

Ajax in the 1970's-80's actually did only recruit strikers, and move them to other positions - as part of their total football strategy (players changing positions constantly during games). Thats where that thought came from. The theory has changed since then though, and now with the Spanish style play - position and positioning is more important - quick movement of the ball through the different positions to keep the defense off balance is more important than players moving through different positions. So I don't think you have to be a striker to move on to the next level - just be the best player you can be at the position you are in.

cheers

arsenalfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 4/19/2013, 9:38 am

The problem with that logic is that kids get locked into one position too young. I don't believe that is a good idea given the style of soccer we play at the older ages.
finish1
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by 4theluvofthegame 4/19/2013, 9:45 am

finish1 wrote:The problem with that logic is that kids get locked into one position too young. I don't believe that is a good idea given the style of soccer we play at the older ages.

Doesnt it depend on what the coach is teaching the players to do at their position?

I see teams that teach their defenders to kick it anytime it gets near them and kick it far. I see teams telling forwards to run as fast as they can to chase these balls and hopefully get a breakaway. I see teams teaching middle players to kick thruballs to the fast forward.

The problem that I see at my sons age isnt having kids locked into one position its having kids locked into playing bad soccer.

I recognize im in over my head a little bit commenting on this string >, but thought i would throw in my 2 cents

4theluvofthegame
4theluvofthegame
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 4/19/2013, 12:11 pm

4theluvofthegame wrote:
finish1 wrote:The problem with that logic is that kids get locked into one position too young. I don't believe that is a good idea given the style of soccer we play at the older ages.

Doesnt it depend on what the coach is teaching the players to do at their position?

I see teams that teach their defenders to kick it anytime it gets near them and kick it far. I see teams telling forwards to run as fast as they can to chase these balls and hopefully get a breakaway. I see teams teaching middle players to kick thruballs to the fast forward.

The problem that I see at my sons age isnt having kids locked into one position its having kids locked into playing bad soccer.

I recognize im in over my head a little bit commenting on this string >, but thought i would throw in my 2 cents

You make a great point. It's more important how kids are taught to how to play than necessarily 'where' they play on the field.

it is generally true that kids who play forward and midfielder often end up further back on the field. But the reality is how well they read the game and their natural tendencies that determines their 'natural' position.

The problem is most kids lack technical ability. Defenders should have excellent control and passing skills. Being just a 'body' running down and clearing the ball won't cut it at higher levels.

The technical base has to be there first. Then the tactical and physical elements of the game come into play. Generally in the states, 'we' tend to focus on physical gifts too soon.

Build the player first.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Real Barcelona 4/19/2013, 1:57 pm

Two additional points I want to make aside from what has already been discussed:
1. Coach talking to a parent of a player at age 12 "your son is too slow to play soccer" From personal experience and in talking to players that made it to the national teams I can tell you this is simply not true. Kids develop and eventually catch up in speed to the majority of their peers. In addition soccer is not a sport of pure speed. Soccer IQ is much more important.
2. Rotating the player around even at older ages is not a bad thing. Makes him a more rounded player that can help the team in certain situations ie Pele playing goalie when the goalie got injured (Santos)

Real Barcelona
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2