Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

How do you feel about guest player? Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

How do you feel about guest player?

+19
my2cents
Sprint
Offside
Soccerinsanity
Minilla
Laimport
PitchBound
soccerdadrandy
hunden97
Real Barcelona
Last.Mohican
go99
What
heyyouguys
DragonStryker
PremierLeagueFan
bigtex75081
AllPaoTeam
ayza
23 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

How do you feel about guest player? Empty How do you feel about guest player?

Post by ayza 10/14/2013, 11:33 pm

If your son is not having enough playing time, and the coach just invite some other kids to be guest players on a tournament, how do you feel?

My answer is time to clock out!

ayza
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

How do you feel about guest player? Empty Re: How do you feel about guest player?

Post by AllPaoTeam 10/15/2013, 6:35 am

That happens to my younger boy in Academy, for now I am ok with it because I like the coach and what the coach is teaching. As long as the coach give hims at least some playing time and I feel that the coach is helping my BB in his development during games and practice I am ok with it.
AllPaoTeam
AllPaoTeam
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

How do you feel about guest player? Empty Re: How do you feel about guest player?

Post by bigtex75081 10/15/2013, 7:30 am

There is no fairness in this place right now so stop expecting it.  The coaches need to fret over their rosters.  You need to stop worrying about the team and start focusing only on your BB.

The contracts for this age group will be signed this upcoming Summer and, because of that, the recruitment of new players should NEVER stop.  (If your coach stops recruiting, that is probably a pretty good indicator that your team is not going to make in July.)

At this point the '04 parents need to stop caring about their son's team.  They need to be focused exclusively their son.  If you, or your son, are unhappy now then be aware that those issues will only be compounded when you sign that first contract.  The issues you have with the team and the coach right now will not magically go away when you sign that bottom line.  The issues will get worse, not better.

Take the rose-colored glasses off right now.  If your son plays 40%-50% of every game (except garbage time in lopsided games) you should expect that time to shrink to about 25% in select.  If your son is playing <30% in academy, you should expect for him to play 0%-15% of games in select.

You may think I'm foolish but every August parents come on these forums bemoaning the bad contracts they just signed.  That usually happens after the family has just watched an entire QT with their BB or DD sitting on the bench.

Last edited by bigtex75081 on 10/15/2013, 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan 10/15/2013, 7:42 am

AllPaoTeam wrote:That happens to my younger boy in Academy, for now I am ok with it because I like the coach and what the coach is teaching. As long as the coach give hims at least some playing time and I feel that the coach is helping my BB in his development during games and practice I am ok with it.
I would bail ASAP...In youth Academy if you are not getting playing time and having guests for tournaments (assuming that you are not short on players at position) it is a CLEAR sign that you are not a core player on the team.

Youth academy is chock full of GREAT coaches and you should visit every club until you find what works for you. If you are a parent that needs to live vicariously through your kid (and I mean this sincerely) and needs to be on a winning team with a BB that is not ready to contribute then you need to buck up and keep developing with that coach until you become a core player (which the odds are against).

If you are shooting for player development, search out the best team that your BB can hang with and play a full season. When your BB gets to a point where it is obvious (from other sources than yourself) that he should be a core player or get more playing time then shop him around (AKA Guest Play in Tournaments on other teams) and use it as leverage against your existing coach. Whatever you do, don't fall for any stories about your kids future and only concern yourself with the present development track and results of your BB's efforts. Nobody can predict the future, but I can predict that not playing in games and not getting touches on the ball and being sidelined for guest players will NOT get you there.

That is the only winning strategy in Youth Academy and I accept the challenge from anyone to call me out on it.
PremierLeagueFan
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by AllPaoTeam 10/15/2013, 8:38 am

PLF, thanks for the great advice.... This is my sons 1st season in Academy coming from Rec and he is pretty raw. He still tends to do alot of Rec bad habits (chasing the ball all over the field, not moving into space, etc). I think since its his 1st year and I do see alot of improvements, I think I will stay put, but in the coming seasons if it continues this way I may have to take your advice. I do see a ton of guest players who normally does not practice with us.

If anything Im just upset at myself for not putting him in academy earlier, my son wasted 2 full years in Rec under parent coaches who do not know anything about soccer. My BB picked up alot of bad habits along the way and has not improved much over 2 years except for his footwork due to soccer camps and with me working with him on it(of course as a dad, my young BB doesnt listen to me like he would a coach and thinks he already knows as much as me).
AllPaoTeam
AllPaoTeam
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 10/15/2013, 8:52 am

AllPaoTeam wrote:PLF, thanks for the great advice.... This is my sons 1st season in Academy coming from Rec and he is pretty raw. He still tends to do alot of Rec bad habits (chasing the ball all over the field, not moving into space, etc). I think since its his 1st year and I do see alot of improvements, I think I will stay put, but in the coming seasons if it continues this way I may have to take your advice. I do see a ton of guest players who normally does not practice with us.

If anything Im just upset at myself for not putting him in academy earlier, my son wasted 2 full years in Rec under parent coaches who do not know anything about soccer. My BB picked up alot of bad habits along the way and has not improved much over 2 years except for his footwork due to soccer camps and with me working with him on it(of course as a dad, my young BB doesnt listen to me like he would a coach and thinks he already knows as much as me).
Comments like the one highlighted above always make me cringe.  It tells me that the writer has no idea what the most important lesson is about soccer.

The first and most important lesson that anybody can learn about soccer is how to love it.  If you enjoy soccer, then that will allow you to be good at it.  You should be thanking that rec association and those volunteer parent-coaches, not blasting them, for teaching your son that soccer is a way to have fun.

Are you really that short-sighted?  Do you really think dribble-turns are the most important things in soccer?  If your son didn't think this was fun... If it wasn't for the Rec association correctly playing it's role...  Do you think your son would have even cared to try academy?
bigtex75081
bigtex75081
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by AllPaoTeam 10/15/2013, 9:07 am

bigtex75081 wrote:
AllPaoTeam wrote:PLF, thanks for the great advice.... This is my sons 1st season in Academy coming from Rec and he is pretty raw. He still tends to do alot of Rec bad habits (chasing the ball all over the field, not moving into space, etc). I think since its his 1st year and I do see alot of improvements, I think I will stay put, but in the coming seasons if it continues this way I may have to take your advice. I do see a ton of guest players who normally does not practice with us.

Comments like the one highlighted above always make me cringe.  It tells me that the writer has no idea what the most important lesson is about soccer.

The first and most important lesson that anybody can learn about soccer is how to love it.  If you enjoy soccer, then that will allow you to be good at it.  You should be thanking that rec association and those volunteer parent-coaches, not blasting them, for teaching your son that soccer is a way to have fun.

Are you really that short-sighted?  Do you really think dribble-turns are the most important things in soccer?  If your son didn't think this was fun... If it wasn't for the Rec association correctly playing it's role...  Do you think your son would have even cared to try academy?
1st off, Im greatful that some of these parents took the time to become a rec coach, but if you are going to become a coach, use your time wisely and do your best job at it. The coaches we had did not know anything about soccer, we have 1 hour practices 30 minutes of the time, hes talking to his assistant coach or parents while the kids run around chasing each other and wrestling. The other 30 minutes, he has the kids line up, he throws the soccer ball and have one kid chase it at a time(thats his type of drills). Sometimes they will have scrimmages where he just lets them run around with no direction. He also lets his younger kids play around with the team(his kids are 2 years younger and can barely kick a ball). Its more like a picnic gathering than practice. How much soccer are they learning? U tell me, is this how soccer practice should be?
AllPaoTeam
AllPaoTeam
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonStryker 10/15/2013, 9:22 am

AllPaoTeam wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:

1st off, Im greatful that some of these parents took the time to become a rec coach, but if you are going to become a coach, use your time wisely and do your best job at it. The coaches we had did not know anything about soccer, we have 1 hour practices 30 minutes of the time, hes talking to his assistant coach or parents while the kids run around chasing each other and wrestling. The other 30 minutes, he has the kids line up, he throws the soccer ball and have one kid chase it at a time(thats his type of drills). Sometimes they will have scrimmages where he just lets them run around with no direction. He also lets his younger kids play around with the team(his kids are 2 years younger and can barely kick a ball). Its more like a picnic gathering than practice. How much soccer are they learning? U tell me, is this how soccer practice should be?
There was a very simple solution to the problem you experienced.

GET OFF YOUR A$$ AND VOLUNTEER TO COACH YOUR OWN SON'S TEAM!! And if you don't know enough to do it (though it sounds like you do), you really shouldn't be complaining about another adult (likely the father of one of the boys on the team) who cared enough to at least try. And unless you are talking about u4 or u5, whoever was coaching the team even cared enough to take a licensing class (at least my Rec Association requires it for u6 and above, assume most are similar).

I see this all the time. Parents complaining about the quality of coaches in Rec. There's a simple solution. Volunteer. Don't know enough, learn. Hell, I saw Mom's at the last licensing class I took who were there because her son's team needed a coach and no one else would step up. She'd never played soccer in her life but she cared enough to at least try and help. That's someone I respect. That's not someone who deserves your scorn.

You sir? I don't respect you even a little bit. Rather than step up and contribute, you come here and complain anonymously about someone who at least cared enough to try.

My son? He'll play Rec until u10 and I plan to coach him the entire way. Why? Because it gives him a fun outlet on the pitch where he's clearly the best player on the field (which is great for his confidence, something that should never be underestimated in sport). And because I can spend our practices reinforcing everything his Academy Coach is teaching him. And on top of all of that, I get to spend some quality time with my son. Where's the downside to that? What's to complain about?
DragonStryker
DragonStryker
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by heyyouguys 10/15/2013, 9:34 am

DragonStryker wrote:

GET OFF YOUR A$$ AND VOLUNTEER TO COACH YOUR OWN SON'S TEAM!!  And if you don't know enough to do it (though it sounds like you do), you really shouldn't be complaining about another adult (likely the father of one of the boys on the team) who cared enough to at least try.  And unless you are talking about u4 or u5, whoever was coaching the team even cared enough to take a licensing class (at least my Rec Association requires it for u6 and above, assume most are similar).

I see this all the time.  Parents complaining about the quality of coaches in Rec.  There's a simple solution.  Volunteer.  Don't know enough, learn.  Hell, I saw Mom's at the last licensing class I took who were there because her son's team needed a coach and no one else would step up.  She'd never played soccer in her life but she cared enough to at least try and help.  That's someone I respect.  That's not someone who deserves your scorn.

You sir?  I don't respect you even a little bit.  Rather than step up and contribute, you come here and complain anonymously about someone who at least cared enough to try.

My son?  He'll play Rec until u10 and I plan to coach him the entire way.  Why?  Because it gives him a fun outlet on the pitch where he's clearly the best player on the field (which is great for his confidence, something that should never be underestimated in sport).  And because I can spend our practices reinforcing everything his Academy Coach is teaching him.  And on top of all of that, I get to spend some quality time with my son.  Where's the downside to that?  What's to complain about?
Yup... crying and moaning about a parent coach who probably got stuck with the job because the soccer association sent an email saying your kid cant play because there's no coach drives me nuts... especially by parents who do actually know (or think they do) how to play soccer. Not everyone is good at coaching... its like teaching, but I've NEVER met a volunteer rec coaches, even crappy ones, who weren't trying to do a good job. It's cliché, but "be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem" fits this perfectly. You watched a coach do what you thought was a poor job, and didn't help... way to go chief.

heyyouguys
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AllPaoTeam 10/15/2013, 9:36 am

1st off, In my spare time, thats all I do is practice soccer with my 3 kids, I work full-time plus help my wife runs a business on the side. My wife volunteers to be team manager for all 3 of our teams. I dont have the time commitment during the weekdays to be a coach. On the weekends, along with soccer games I also practice with my kids. Im not a soccer expert and dont know 1/2 as much as most of you but I've seen enough good coaches from my other kids teams that I know how soccer practice should be run.

We voulunteer to host British Challenger Soccer coaches all year round to stay with us. All our kids attend their camps. Any other types of pickup games/camps we hear about we try to bring our kids there. We try to do as much as we can to help our kids in academics and soccer.

So now my kids play academy/select and uses camps to get the coaching.

So until u know what is going on in our lives dont act like we dont care enough just be cause we dont volunteer to coach. The main reason is the schedule just dont work.

Last edited by AllPaoTeam on 10/15/2013, 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
AllPaoTeam
AllPaoTeam
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonStryker 10/15/2013, 9:37 am

As to your other point...

It's his first year in Academy and he's on a team that's likely looking forward at playing Select next year. You very well might be on the wrong team unless your son is a very fast learner.

How long has the team he's on been together? How long have the boys been playing Academy? What is the coaches plan for next season (will be be shooting for Classic or is he planning to play in PPL or APL, etc)?

It's very possible that you put your son onto a team that's too advanced for where he is. Coaches rarely turn down kids who are willing to work hard, especially if they have some room on their roster. Though just because a coach is willing to take your child and the coach is highly recommended (he could be the best coach in DFW quite frankly), doesn't mean its the right team for your child.

From your description, it sounds like you should be looking for a team filled with boys who all just made the jump from Rec to Academy. All kids making that jump bring bad habits, it happens. And it takes time for kids to "get it" after making the transition. It's a lot easier if the coach is helping with this transition versus the bb being tossed onto a team that's been doing it for several years at that point and the bb having to simply "catch up" to the balance of the team.

That's frustrating for the coach, the other players, the parents, and the child.

Didn't really get enough detail in your post to know if this is the case, but given the age group, it's very possible and something that might be worth considering.

PS - one of my neighbors boys (a 96 like my oldest) went through this exact thing. He started playing Rec at u4 and didn't move to Select until u13 (and his dad felt somewhat like you, "wow, lost a lot of years"). He was big, strong, very fast and more or less dominated in Rec. His size got him onto a very good team (Classic D2 at the time) and he hated every second of it (never played in games, had a hard time keeping up with practices, was way behind on skills, etc). Parents had a long conversation with the coach and the coach released him during winter break and they found a team that was just forming up, comprised entirely of boys making the jump from Rec to Select who planned to play in APL the following Fall. He's now playing on a Classic D1 team (he's no longer bigger, faster, or stronger than all the other boys, he's now just a very talented footballer), but he'd have never developed if he hadn't found the right coach/team/situation at the right time. And he got very lucky to have had a coach on that first team that had enough foresight to give him a full release (he's actually back playing with that coach once again for his final season).
DragonStryker
DragonStryker
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonStryker 10/15/2013, 9:38 am

Double Post - sorry!
DragonStryker
DragonStryker
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan 10/15/2013, 9:43 am

bigtex75081 wrote:

Yikes!! The first thing to learn is the rules of the game and ball mastery. Let's dispense with the "Love" of football/soccer dialogue for now since that is not what competitive football/soccer is all about. If you want fun and no pressure to win, play in a rec. league on a team that is not competing for the top 3 spots and enjoy the beautiful game with no expectations beyond fun and good physical conditioning.

Club is a whole different environment and when you get in the Shark Tank I would advise you to swim fast. Ball Mastery is the most important aspect of your BB's development and BB will probably be best suited on a team that spends zero time on strategy or winning for that matter and focuses solely on foot skills. If BB is looking up when dribbling then you are ready for the next level which is "Decision Making" (some call it Soccer IQ). When you have ball mastery (age adjusted of course) and good "Soccer IQ"  (also age adjusted) then you can start shopping for teams that are learning strategy.

Joining club earlier would have given you an advantage that you don't currently enjoy, but I have found that club coaching does wonders quickly if you listen and continue your lessons at home (preferably together to reinforce what BB is learning).

The Four Fundamentals of football/soccer are Technical, Tactical, Physical and Mental and your BB has to develop in these four areas so read up and keep a good watch over your BB while the process starts and good luck.
PremierLeagueFan
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonStryker 10/15/2013, 9:46 am

AllPaoTeam wrote:1st off, In my spare time, thats all I do is practice soccer with my 3 kids, I work full-time plus help my wife runs a business on the side. My wife volunteers to be team manager for all 3 of our teams. I dont have the time commitment during the weekdays to be a coach. On the weekends, along with soccer games I also practice with my kids. Im not a soccer expert and dont know 1/2 as much as most of you but I've seen enough good coaches from my other kids teams that I know how soccer practice should be run.

We voulunteer to host Challenger Soccer coaches all year round to stay with us. All our kids attend their camps. Any other types of pickup games/camps we hear about we try to bring our kids there. We try to do as much as we can to help our kids in academics and soccer.

So now my kids play academy/select and uses camps to get the coaching.

So until u know what is going on in our lives dont act like we dont care enough just be cause we dont volunteer to coach. The main reason is the schedule just dont work.
Believe me when I say I understand the time issue. I have 3 kids, two playing soccer (a 96 and an 08) and a special needs daughter. A wife who runs a small business. I run my own business and work a full time job running a division of a bank in DFW. Time is precious.

Coaching my son's team takes 3 hours a week. We have a hour practice during the week from 6:30 to 7:30 and we have a game each Saturday. I arrive 30 minutes early to each.

I spend 30 minutes setting up a practice plan each Monday while I'm watching my son's Academy practice (I tend to use the exact same drills his Academy coach uses because they work very well). And I mix in some basics (how to dribble, how to pass, how to shoot, etc). Games are simple, everyone has to play an equal amount of time. The boys have a limited understanding of formation and tactics at this age so we simply have positions and each position has an area to cover, nothing more complicated than that at this point.

My prior post was regarding you disparaging the individual that did invest the time to try to coach the Rec team your son was on. He likely had even less soccer knowledge than you (it sounds like you have more than you give yourself credit for quite honestly) and was probably just doing his best.

Worst case, volunteer as an assistant coach. Help when you can. I have one father on my team who played D1 soccer in college. He's far, far, far better than I am (did I mention how much better he is??). But doesn't have the time as he travels frequently. I welcome him at any practice he can make to help with the team. I would be willing to bet most Rec coaches would do the same to anyone willing to help, even if they can't commit to every practice or game.
DragonStryker
DragonStryker
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by AllPaoTeam 10/15/2013, 9:56 am

DragonStryker,
Yes, the team he is on has some very good players.. They still have a year or 2 before going select and will probably be in Classic since they are at that level. My BB is one of the better players in Rec but Academy is a totally different world in terms of skill. Part of his problem is his size, being small doesnt help when his skills are already way behind most on the team. Coach saw enough skills/natural talent and drive/dedication from my BB that he let my BB on the team. Most of the good players have been on the team for about 3 years.

I think the problem with my BB right now is he lacks confidence going against the better players in academy and his teammates in practice. Also coming from Rec hes adjusting to the rougher playing style especially being small its tougher for him to adjust.

OK not all Academy teams/players are that good... But the team he is on is that good.. I know I can find teams more on his level. Dont u think its better to play with/against players that are better than you in order to get better?
AllPaoTeam
AllPaoTeam
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by What 10/15/2013, 10:13 am

Nothing wrong with guest playing
What
What
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by AllPaoTeam 10/15/2013, 10:18 am

PremierLeagueFan wrote:
bigtex75081 wrote:

Yikes!! The first thing to learn is the rules of the game and ball mastery. Let's dispense with the "Love" of football/soccer dialogue for now since that is not what competitive football/soccer is all about. If you want fun and no pressure to win, play in a rec. league on a team that is not competing for the top 3 spots and enjoy the beautiful game with no expectations beyond fun and good physical conditioning.

Club is a whole different environment and when you get in the Shark Tank I would advise you to swim fast. Ball Mastery is the most important aspect of your BB's development and BB will probably be best suited on a team that spends zero time on strategy or winning for that matter and focuses solely on foot skills. If BB is looking up when dribbling then you are ready for the next level which is "Decision Making" (some call it Soccer IQ). When you have ball mastery (age adjusted of course) and good "Soccer IQ"  (also age adjusted) then you can start shopping for teams that are learning strategy.

Joining club earlier would have given you an advantage that you don't currently enjoy, but I have found that club coaching does wonders quickly if you listen and continue your lessons at home (preferably together to reinforce what BB is learning).

The Four Fundamentals of football/soccer are Technical, Tactical, Physical and Mental and your BB has to develop in these four areas so read up and keep a good watch over your BB while the process starts and good luck.
Thanks PLF for your wisdom! Yes, I have notice the huge improvements in the short period(10 weeks) since joining the Academy team. Coaching does wonders.

I have notice though that my BB has hit a wall and has either decline in the last 2 weeks or is at the same and has stop improving in games/practice. I think he may be getting burnt out. Playing Rec and Academy games/practice, plus Soccer camp (6 out of 7 days are soccer) may be wearing him out, good thing season is almost over. I was using the logic of "the more ball touches the better". I will have to adjust this next season and over winter.

Last edited by AllPaoTeam on 10/15/2013, 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
AllPaoTeam
AllPaoTeam
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan 10/15/2013, 10:21 am

AllPaoTeam wrote:
I think the problem with my BB right now is he lacks confidence going against the better players in academy and his teammates in practice. Also coming from Rec hes adjusting to the rougher playing style especially being small its tougher for him to adjust.
If you get a chance to watch first year select games you will find that size is all over the map and some of the top players are small (seeing this will help a small player gain confidence). Simple rule for any player is to move away from pressure (AKA move around the big kids and learn to pass the ball out of a bad situation). Skill is still the best advantage (back to ball mastery) and decision making (Soccer IQ) is one of the main differentiators against BFS (Bigger Faster Stronger) BB's.

AllPaoTeam wrote:
OK not all Academy teams/players are that good... But the team he is on is that good.. I know I can find teams more on his level. Dont u think its better to play with/against players that are better than you in order to get better?
It is better to play "Against" better teams with players at your level so you can develop your ball mastery and Soccer IQ. Being a good player on a great team means that you are most likely learning how to stress about winning, especially if you are playing in a utility role. This is not a beat all end all rule, but definitely needs consideration and now is the time for development. You can still play Rec. league so if you want the hardware go find a top Rec. team and see if they will play your BB, otherwise coach or assist your own Rec. team and see what happens.
PremierLeagueFan
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonStryker 10/15/2013, 10:22 am

AllPaoTeam wrote:DragonStryker,
Yes, the team he is on has some very good players.. They still have a year or 2 before going select and will probably be in Classic since they are at that level. My BB is one of the better players in Rec but Academy is a totally different world in terms of skill. Part of his problem is his size, being small doesnt help when his skills are already way behind most on the team. Coach saw enough skills/natural talent and drive/dedication from my BB that he let my BB on the team. Most of the good players have been on the team for about 3 years.

As I mentioned, it might be worth looking for a team that was nearer to his present skill level as it would do wonders for his confidence (this is extremely important, moreso at the younger ages I believe). I also suspect his development would quicken if his coach was able to spend more time at each practice on the skills he needs work on. He's also likely get substantially more time on the pitch during games, which is hugely important at this age.

At this point, I suspect the coach is spending a lot of time on team tactics in an effort to prepare the boys for qualifying and if that's the case, it means less time is being spent on the skills your son needs to master. I would also wager that the skills the coach spends time on in practice are potentially more advanced than what your son should be working on presently. You need to really master the basics before working on the more advanced and from your description, your son still needs work on mastering the basics to some degree.

As an 04, his present team is preparing for qualifying this coming summer (it's not a year or two away, it's a little over 6 months away). Based on what you've said, the coach is trying to round out the team he takes into qualifying. And based on what you've said, even if your son makes the final cut on the team, he is unlikely to see any playing time in qualifying or next fall once Classic League play starts without a substantial amount of improvement in his game over the next few months.

While everyone wants to be on the best team possible, sometimes that isn't the best team for development, especially in a situation such as yours. A year spent on a team of boys that just made the jump to Academy from Rec (or even just a team with boys who are of similar skills to your son) with a coach who understands how to develop basic skills and work toward more advanced skills and tactics would likely to wonders for your son and if he's as dedicated as you say, he'll likely be ready to join a Classic League team at u12 or u13 and warrant meaningful playing time when he gets there.

The risk with leaving him on the team he's on is slowing his development due to a lack of playing time. Practice is great, but as you said, the physical play is a very big change from Rec and takes some getting used to. The only way to get used to it is to experience it during games. And if he's sitting on the bench, he's not improving.
DragonStryker
DragonStryker
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by AllPaoTeam 10/15/2013, 10:33 am

I want to thank everyone especially PLF and Dragon for all the great advice... Again, I wasnt here to bash any coach but just wanted to point out WHY I put my kid in academy especially seeing how much he has improved in such a short period and regret that I didnt put him in Academy sooner.

After reading ur feedbacks, I kinda feel the same way and agree with most if not all of what u guys are saying.... BTW my boy is on a 05 team. I am working on improving my BB deficiencies and hopefully by spring he should be much improved, I will use everything I learned from the British coaches and select/academy coaches to help him prepare, if he doesnt get to a level I need him to be, I may look to a lower team where he can be one of the better players.

Thanks again guys!!

Last edited by AllPaoTeam on 10/15/2013, 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
AllPaoTeam
AllPaoTeam
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan 10/15/2013, 10:34 am

AllPaoTeam wrote:
I have notice though that my BB has hit a wall and has either decline in the last 2 weeks or is at the same and has stop improving in games/practice. I think he may be getting burnt out. Playing Rec and Academy games/practice, plus Soccer camp (6 out of 7 days are soccer) may be wearing him out, good thing season is almost over. I was using the logic of "the more ball touches the better". I will have to adjust this next season and over winter.
It's one of the reasons that some BB's opt out of Rec as they move towards the club systems and it is perfectly normal.

A great way to get touches is a solid backstop (preferably with an uneven surface) and repetition. Juggling can help, but I have seen success with just passing the ball to BB in a large circle (BB receives the pass and must control it so it doesn't bounce outside the circle) as your training continues progressively narrow the diameter of the circle while increasing the speed of the ball to an age adjusted passing speed.

When in doubt there is always futsal, and some swear by it while others swear at it, but it serves its purpose and gives BB a chance to meet other like minded BB's since most futsal teams are open to additional players.

As for burn out, there is nothing wrong with playing football/soccer and taking time off (each week) to pursue other interests.
PremierLeagueFan
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 10/15/2013, 10:46 am

Ok first on the love of the game aspect. It is the first and most important thing a kid must learn. Forget ball mastery and all the skill B.S. He must first learn to love the game. My BB started with a rec team and a lady who was a teacher and great with kids. She knew nothing about the game of soccer. He ran up and down the field and may have actually touched the ball once. He was very shy and afraid to get into pile with all of the other kids and fight for the ball. She let him be who he was and do as much as he wanted. It was the most frustrating experience of my life. At the end of the season he told his grandma he wanted to be a professional soccer player. I thought "what you aren't even playing soccer you are just running around wasting time and money" Fast forward to today and he has played up in D1 and moved on to the development academy. His love of the game drives him to go out on his own and practice. It has carried him thru the times when things didn't go his way. It kept him going when he first started playing up in D1 and struggled for playing time. Eventually the game requires lots of work and sacrifice. Those that go on will find themselves giving up many thing a normal kid takes for granted. As far as your son goes, the question is what does he want? Forget about guest players and focus on him. How good does he want to be? Does he want to play and have fun or does he want to fight and struggle for playtime? Make a decision based on what HE wants from soccer.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 10/15/2013, 10:54 am

PremierLeagueFan wrote:
AllPaoTeam wrote:
It's one of the reasons that some BB's opt out of Rec as they move towards the club systems and it is perfectly normal.

A great way to get touches is a solid backstop (preferably with an uneven surface) and repetition. Juggling can help, but I have seen success with just passing the ball to BB in a large circle (BB receives the pass and must control it so it doesn't bounce outside the circle) as your training continues progressively narrow the diameter of the circle while increasing the speed of the ball to an age adjusted passing speed.

When in doubt there is always futsal, and some swear by it while others swear at it, but it serves its purpose and gives BB a chance to meet other like minded BB's since most futsal teams are open to additional players.

As for burn out, there is nothing wrong with playing football/soccer and taking time off (each week) to pursue other interests.
I am not a believer in burnout. Some kids just have other things they would rather do or decide that they don't want to work that hard at one thing. There is nothing wrong with that. I will say BB doesn't do skill sessions, went to one with a friend and absolutely hated it. The mere suggestion of a skill session will draw a pouty face and slummpy shoulders. Pick up the ball and play. Go kick with him, kick against a wall, pretend it's the big game and the winning shot and just have fun. I watch awful kids everyday and think wow that kids parents spent alot of money on skills (as he tries to go thru every skill mover he knows). Too many skill sessions is a good way to strip the fun from the game.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Last.Mohican 10/15/2013, 10:55 am

Saw this post & thought it somewhat relates to my BB’s situation.. so pardon me if I ramble.

In short, I think BigTex & Dragon are correct.  If your BB’s playing time is already limited then you have to ask yourself is this right team 1st & foremost.  Players at this age need touches & if you are riding the bench the majority of the time I don’t see how that is happening.  Yes there is a potential life lesson here as I was told in my situation but we are also talking about 9 yr olds.  If your BB has given his best effort and it’s simply not in the cards then what lesson are you teaching him?  Why not as someone put it.. place him on a team based on his skill level and let him prosper there at his own pace?  I don’t care how good the coach is, if my BB isn’t getting quality touches, then you need to look elsewhere unless you are content being a monthly fee & nothing more. Unfortunately some coaches will gladly take the fee each & every month will full knowledge the player doesn't belong.

As Go99 mentions, the guest player is not key the issue.. placing your BB on the ‘right’ team is.

Last.Mohican
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Real Barcelona 10/15/2013, 11:18 am

I will use everything I learned from the British coaches:evil: 

Real Barcelona
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next