Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

How do you feel about guest player? - Page 2 Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

How do you feel about guest player?

+19
my2cents
Sprint
Offside
Soccerinsanity
Minilla
Laimport
PitchBound
soccerdadrandy
hunden97
Real Barcelona
Last.Mohican
go99
What
heyyouguys
DragonStryker
PremierLeagueFan
bigtex75081
AllPaoTeam
ayza
23 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

How do you feel about guest player? - Page 2 Empty Re: How do you feel about guest player?

Post by Real Barcelona 10/15/2013, 11:18 am

I will use everything I learned from the British coaches:evil: 

Real Barcelona
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

How do you feel about guest player? - Page 2 Empty Re: How do you feel about guest player?

Post by PremierLeagueFan 10/15/2013, 11:23 am

go99 wrote:Ok first on the love of the game aspect.  It is the first and most important thing a kid must learn.  Forget ball mastery and all the skill B.S.  He must first learn to love the game.
One doesn't learn to "Love" the game...While romantic it is just rhetoric. Enthusiasm, interest, respect and dedication to the beautiful game is a reasonable expectation.

go99 wrote:
My BB started with a rec team and a lady who was a teacher and great with kids.  She knew nothing about the game of soccer.  He ran up and down the field and may have actually touched the ball once.  He was very shy and afraid to get into pile with all of the other kids and fight for the ball.
Sounds like most BB's, but not when they are 9 or 10 years old.

go99 wrote:
She let him be who he was and do as much as he wanted.  It was the most frustrating experience of my life.  At the end of the season he told his grandma he wanted to be a professional soccer player.
Every BB wants to be a pro player and eventually a policeman, fireman, etc. (I can certainly relate)

go99 wrote:
I thought "what you aren't even playing soccer you are just running around wasting time and money"  Fast forward to today and he has played up in D1 and moved on to the development academy.
That was a quick jump, did something happen on the way there?

go99 wrote:
His love of the game drives him to go out on his own and practice.  It has carried him thru the times when things didn't go his way.  It kept him going when he first started playing up in D1 and struggled for playing time.  Eventually the game requires lots of work and sacrifice.
Almost every BB on a competitive team has the same story and a lot of unsuccessful teams have these players also.

go99 wrote:
Those that go on will find themselves giving up many thing a normal kid takes for granted.  As far as your son goes, the question is what does he want?
Don't agree, my BB is a world champion Minecraft expert and Clash of Clans leader. You will have to make a decision as BB gets more competitive as to whether you will play or continue to play more than one sport.

go99 wrote:
Forget about guest players and focus on him.  How good does he want to be?  Does he want to play and have fun or does he want to fight and struggle for playtime?  Make a decision based on what HE wants from soccer.
Don't agree, BB's like to please so put BB on the team he is best suited for and continue to encourage and point out the aspects of his game where he contributes and see how you can find ways to help BB contribute on the pitch.
PremierLeagueFan
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by AllPaoTeam 10/15/2013, 11:24 am

Real Barcelona wrote:I will use everything I learned from the British coaches:evil: 
Yea most of em are young and really have no clue about life but just curious... Why do you think their way of teaching is wrong... To be honest, some of them think they way we run our practices are wrong.. I dont want to start any wars between the countries but Im just curious... I mean everyone has their own opinions...
AllPaoTeam
AllPaoTeam
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Real Barcelona 10/15/2013, 11:36 am

In the past the emphasis has been on long ball and run till you die. I believe this is changing and the more recent generations will change the emphasis to more possession and more smarts on the pitch. Will see.

Real Barcelona
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 10/15/2013, 11:58 am

PremierLeagueFan wrote:
go99 wrote:Ok first on the love of the game aspect.  It is the first and most important thing a kid must learn.  Forget ball mastery and all the skill B.S.  He must first learn to love the game.
One doesn't learn to "Love" the game...While romantic it is just rhetoric. Enthusiasm, interest, respect and dedication to the beautiful game is a reasonable expectation.
Learn to love the game means love it enough to work hard for it.  It is not resonable to this every kid will love soccer to the extent it will take to be truly good at it.

go99 wrote:
My BB started with a rec team and a lady who was a teacher and great with kids.  She knew nothing about the game of soccer.  He ran up and down the field and may have actually touched the ball once.  He was very shy and afraid to get into pile with all of the other kids and fight for the ball.
That is correct not at 9 and by then he should already have his love for the game.  That is what the rec was for.  Now he needs to work hard, fight and compete

go99 wrote:
She let him be who he was and do as much as he wanted.  It was the most frustrating experience of my life.  At the end of the season he told his grandma he wanted to be a professional soccer player.
Every BB wants to be a pro player and eventually a policeman, fireman, etc. (I can certainly relate)
Reminds me of the quote about C Ronaldo.  A players said Ronaldo came to Manchester and said he wanted to be the best players in the world.  Lot's of players say it but Ronaldo actually went about the hard work it took to get there.  He was the first one into practice and the last one out.  See there is a difference between a kid who says I want to be a soccer player (the next messi/superstar)  And a kid who thinks I will give up everything I have to wake up in the morning and play soccer for a living

go99 wrote:
I thought "what you aren't even playing soccer you are just running around wasting time and money"  Fast forward to today and he has played up in D1 and moved on to the development academy.
yep his first year D1 team lost every game except 1, fell to D3 and disbanded.  Great coach and BB would have stayed but they sent him to the top team.  Once he got there they refused to let him on. He played up an age group instead in D2.  Did well and played most of the time.  Next season he said he wanted to see if he could take time in D1.  He chose to give up playtime because he wanted to push himself and see how good he could be rather that play.  Not always good or happy times and a first for him to not start.  But in the end he did well and improved greatly as a player. This season he was moved to the academy.

go99 wrote:
His love of the game drives him to go out on his own and practice.  It has carried him thru the times when things didn't go his way.  It kept him going when he first started playing up in D1 and struggled for playing time.  Eventually the game requires lots of work and sacrifice.
Almost every BB on a competitive team has the same story and a lot of unsuccessful teams have these players also.
No they don't.  Most kids will stay in an enviornment where they get plenty of playtime and have fun.  I hear lots of talk of college soccer.  But do the kids realize how much of the college experience they would give up?

go99 wrote:
Those that go on will find themselves giving up many thing a normal kid takes for granted.  As far as your son goes, the question is what does he want?
Don't agree, my BB is a world champion Minecraft expert and Clash of Clans leader. You will have to make a decision as BB gets more competitive as to whether you will play or continue to play more than one sport.
And as your BB gets older and the teams get better he will have to make a choice.  Minecraft etc time will have to dwindle.  You will chose one sport or you will not be in academy.  BB is all about call of duty but between homework, practice, and travel for games his time to cut the xbox on is very limited.  While his friends hang out at the highschool football game friday night he either has to miss because of travel or leave early because of the game the next day.  It's not fair for a kid to make those sacrifices because it's what "you" want.  

go99 wrote:
Forget about guest players and focus on him.  How good does he want to be?  Does he want to play and have fun or does he want to fight and struggle for playtime?  Make a decision based on what HE wants from soccer.
Don't agree, BB's like to please so put BB on the team he is best suited for and continue to encourage and point out the aspects of his game where he contributes and see how you can find ways to help BB contribute on the pitch.
great advice if you want him to participate and have fun.  But if you put him on a team that he has to fight for every minute and it's not what he wanted, you basically forced him to give more to the game than he wants.  Bobby Rhine gave me the best advice when BB wanted to play up (I was really against him playing up because he is young for his age group and small). "It's his soccer.  If it's not going to hurt him let him do what he wants.  It will keep him motivated"  Bobby Rhine was right and I was wrong.  I  see too many kids forced into situations they didn't want.  Moved from teams with their friends when they only wanted to play with their friends and have fun.  Because the parents have some grand plan or unfulfilled dreams that their kid never had.  BB's are pleasers right up until they are old enough to stop pleasing (the magical burnout).  Help your kid get what HE wants from soccer.  Always keep in mind it's not YOUR soccer
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Real Barcelona 10/15/2013, 12:10 pm

Moving your kid to the highest level of competition he can afford is tough on the player and on the parent. All of a sudden he is not the top dog anymore and he has to fight his way through. Some players AND parents are ready for the challenge and some are not. I think that the parents burn out first watching BB on the bench since this had never happened before.

Real Barcelona
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 10/15/2013, 12:15 pm

It is extremely tough on the parent and can absolutely destroy a kid. Some will find that they don't actually like soccer the enjoyed experiencing athletic success
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by hunden97 10/15/2013, 12:21 pm

Plenty of great advice above. As was mentioned, put your kid in more small sided games either street soccer or futsal. Benefits of futsal are too good to pass up. Many, many touches on the ball in single sessions/games. Ball control learned from very fast moving passes on hard court (no grass to slow the ball down) Extremely quick decision making from playing on small courts. The game is FUN! Plenty of touches, fast pace, many goals, etc. Along with the advice above concerning placing your son in the best outdoor situation split his time with futsal/small side. You and your boy won't regret it!

So you know I had the same thoughts at times concerning my boy, that we didn't put him in academy soon enough. However if you focus on small side specifically for a year or two, and he keeps his passion for the game, he will be in HIGH demand when you introduce him back to the full side pitch.

Anyways, good luck to you and make sure you enjoy every bit of your time with him because time flies by too quickly!
hunden97
hunden97
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 10/15/2013, 12:37 pm

heyyouguys wrote:
DragonStryker wrote:

GET OFF YOUR A$$ AND VOLUNTEER TO COACH YOUR OWN SON'S TEAM!!  And if you don't know enough to do it (though it sounds like you do), you really shouldn't be complaining about another adult (likely the father of one of the boys on the team) who cared enough to at least try.  And unless you are talking about u4 or u5, whoever was coaching the team even cared enough to take a licensing class (at least my Rec Association requires it for u6 and above, assume most are similar).

I see this all the time.  Parents complaining about the quality of coaches in Rec.  There's a simple solution.  Volunteer.  Don't know enough, learn.  Hell, I saw Mom's at the last licensing class I took who were there because her son's team needed a coach and no one else would step up.  She'd never played soccer in her life but she cared enough to at least try and help.  That's someone I respect.  That's not someone who deserves your scorn.

You sir?  I don't respect you even a little bit.  Rather than step up and contribute, you come here and complain anonymously about someone who at least cared enough to try.

My son?  He'll play Rec until u10 and I plan to coach him the entire way.  Why?  Because it gives him a fun outlet on the pitch where he's clearly the best player on the field (which is great for his confidence, something that should never be underestimated in sport).  And because I can spend our practices reinforcing everything his Academy Coach is teaching him.  And on top of all of that, I get to spend some quality time with my son.  Where's the downside to that?  What's to complain about?
Yup... crying and moaning about a parent coach who probably got stuck with the job because the soccer association sent an email saying your kid cant play because there's no coach drives me nuts... especially by parents who do actually know (or think they do) how to play soccer. Not everyone is good at coaching... its like teaching, but I've NEVER met a volunteer rec coaches, even crappy ones, who weren't trying to do a good job. It's cliché, but "be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem" fits this perfectly. You watched a coach do what you thought was a poor job, and didn't help... way to go chief.
not only that!!! if you believe that David Beckham or Messi could spend 1 hour twice a week with your BB at this age and prepare your BB much better, you are naive. it is the parents responsibility (primarily childs passion) to do "HOMEWORK". wall ball for a few hours every week. kick arounds with friends. etc. take whatever your daddy/mommy coach gives you and build on it. they CAN"T make your child worse.......
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by AllPaoTeam 10/15/2013, 12:39 pm

hunden97 wrote:Plenty of great advice above. As was mentioned, put your kid in more small sided games either street soccer or futsal. Benefits of futsal are too good to pass up. Many, many touches on the ball in single sessions/games. Ball control learned from very fast moving passes on hard court (no grass to slow the ball down) Extremely quick decision making from playing on small courts. The game is FUN! Plenty of touches, fast pace, many goals, etc. Along with the advice above concerning placing your son in the best outdoor situation split his time with futsal/small side. You and your boy won't regret it!

So you know I had the same thoughts at times concerning my boy, that we didn't put him in academy soon enough. However if you focus on small side specifically for a year or two, and he keeps his passion for the game, he will be in HIGH demand when you introduce him back to the full side pitch.

Anyways, good luck to you and make sure you enjoy every bit of your time with him because time flies by too quickly!
Thanks for the advice, I am looking into Futsal, my older son played it this summer and it helped him. The only problem is Im afraid my BB is getting burnt out from too much soccer right now. At the begining of the season, I saw the twinkle in his eye, now I really dont see that anymore. He was putting on moves, being creative with the ball in practice and games when the season started. The last 6 games the last 2 weeks (4 Rec games due to rainouts and 2 Academy games). He really doesnt do much moves anymore and pretty much dribbles straight forward, doesnt use his body to shield the ball like before, etc. He starts to talk about leg/foot pain.

I think this winter, we will cut down on soccer, just keep him playing with his academy team and I will practice with him. Hopefully with less time with soccer this winter will bring back that twinkle. If everything goes well, I will put him in Futsal in the summer if he wants to try it.
AllPaoTeam
AllPaoTeam
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PitchBound 10/15/2013, 12:50 pm

AllPaoTeam wrote:
hunden97 wrote:Plenty of great advice above. As was mentioned, put your kid in more small sided games either street soccer or futsal. Benefits of futsal are too good to pass up. Many, many touches on the ball in single sessions/games. Ball control learned from very fast moving passes on hard court (no grass to slow the ball down) Extremely quick decision making from playing on small courts. The game is FUN! Plenty of touches, fast pace, many goals, etc. Along with the advice above concerning placing your son in the best outdoor situation split his time with futsal/small side. You and your boy won't regret it!

Thanks for the advice, I am looking into Futsal, my older son played it this summer and it helped him. The only problem is Im afraid my BB is getting burnt out from too much soccer right now. At the begining of the season, I saw the twinkle in his eye, now I really dont see that anymore. He was putting on moves, being creative with the ball in practice and games when the season started. The last 6 games the last 2 weeks (4 Rec games due to rainouts and 2 Academy games). He really doesnt do much moves anymore and pretty much dribbles straight forward, doesnt use his body to shield the ball like before, etc. He starts to talk about leg/foot pain.

I think this winter, we will cut down on soccer, just keep him playing with his academy team and I will practice with him. Hopefully with less time with soccer this winter will bring back that twinkle. If everything goes well, I will put him in Futsal in the summer if he wants to try it.
You may also want to try a little break for the month of Dec. Sometimes all the boys need a little break with no soccer what so ever. I know many players that got burned out on soccer and took a season off.

Good Luck

PitchBound
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Last.Mohican 10/15/2013, 1:21 pm

Not trying to point fingers at you but you sure your BB wants to play Academy + Rec, which I presume included games/practices for both?  I only ask because at 10 yrs old that is a lot of soccer.  Practice 3-4x a week + 2 games on the weekend.  Yes, some kids can't get enough of it.. but there are also parents that can't get enough of it & the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.  That's a reality check for some folks..

Again, I don't mean to accuse by any stretch.. merely pointing out that is a lot of soccer.  I'd suggest focusing on one team and use the extra time to just let him be a 10 yr old.  

Granted it was some time ago, but I recall several buddies dropping the sport they loved growing up by the time they were in 7th grade, literally due to burnout & unrealistic parent expectations.  As parents we presume we know exactly what our kids want.. although forget that as they get older they are more than capable of telling us.

Last.Mohican
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by AllPaoTeam 10/15/2013, 1:30 pm

Last.Mohican wrote:Not trying to point fingers at you but you sure your BB wants to play Academy + Rec, which I presume included games/practices for both?  I only ask because at 10 yrs old that is a lot of soccer.  Practice 3-4x a week + 2 games on the weekend.  Yes, some kids can't get enough of it.. but there are also parents that can't get enough of it & the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.  That's a reality check for some folks..

Again, I don't mean to accuse by any stretch.. merely pointing out that is a lot of soccer.  I'd suggest focusing on one team and use the extra time to just let him be a 10 yr old.  

Granted it was some time ago, but I recall several buddies dropping the sport they loved growing up by the time they were in 7th grade, literally due to burnout & unrealistic parent expectations.  As parents we presume we know exactly what our kids want.. although forget that as they get older they are more than capable of telling us.
Yes I realized now that was way too much Soccer. I went in thinking "the more touches the better". He also wanted to be on both teams since he had friends on the Rec team.

Im thinking now perhaps quality touches is better than quantity. This is our last year or Rec soccer. Probably will also drop him from soccer camp. I will personally help him on the skills he needs, perhaps get a session of personal training if needed. At least try it this way to see if it works better.
AllPaoTeam
AllPaoTeam
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy 10/15/2013, 2:11 pm

Last.Mohican wrote:Not trying to point fingers at you but you sure your BB wants to play Academy + Rec, which I presume included games/practices for both?  I only ask because at 10 yrs old that is a lot of soccer.  Practice 3-4x a week + 2 games on the weekend.  Yes, some kids can't get enough of it.. but there are also parents that can't get enough of it & the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.  That's a reality check for some folks..

by design, competitive sports weeds out the weaker, less passionate players. my BB is burned out on math and science homework but i didn't cause that. it's just not his thing. now as a parent, i have to insist he study and do his homework but in no way would he perform at any acceptable level, if i pushed him into accelerated classes. having said all that he "LOVED" math k-6th grade. yes parents can push their BB tp much but in general the kids abilities will cause them to reevaluate their love of anything.
soccerdadrandy
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Last.Mohican 10/15/2013, 2:55 pm

agreed AllPao.. I just see it a lot. Playing on on 2-3 teams, playing 3v3.. and then also playing basketball, football & baseball. The same parents that think it's ok to commit their BB to 4-5 teams in one or more sports are the same ones that are shocked when they literally quit cold turkey one dark day in 6th grade.

I don't think you have to drop camps per se, it's the commitment to more than 1 team that would concern me. 2 can work if there is an understanding w/both coaches, but you just have to be careful & watch for fatigue. Not every 10 yr old is in touch w/his true feelings like the adults on this forum. Laughing 

Last.Mohican
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by PremierLeagueFan 10/15/2013, 4:51 pm

go99 wrote:
PremierLeagueFan wrote:
Learn to love the game means love it enough to work hard for it.  It is not reasonable to this every kid will love soccer to the extent it will take to be truly good at it.

Ok, I can agree with that explanation.

go99 wrote:
That is correct not at 9 and by then he should already have his love for the game.  That is what the rec was for.  Now he needs to work hard, fight and compete

If by Love you mean "working hard for it" I agree

go99 wrote:
Reminds me of the quote about C Ronaldo.  A players said Ronaldo came to Manchester and said he wanted to be the best players in the world.  Lot's of players say it but Ronaldo actually went about the hard work it took to get there.  He was the first one into practice and the last one out.  See there is a difference between a kid who says I want to be a soccer player (the next messi/superstar)  And a kid who thinks I will give up everything I have to wake up in the morning and play soccer for a living

You just described every top player in the BPL.
I still disagree and think that you don't have to give up your childhood to get there

go99 wrote:
yep his first year D1 team lost every game except 1, fell to D3 and disbanded.  Great coach and BB would have stayed but they sent him to the top team.  Once he got there they refused to let him on. He played up an age group instead in D2.  Did well and played most of the time.  Next season he said he wanted to see if he could take time in D1.  He chose to give up playtime because he wanted to push himself and see how good he could be rather that play.  Not always good or happy times and a first for him to not start.  But in the end he did well and improved greatly as a player. This season he was moved to the academy.

Speaks volumes...That is a huge jump and he must have worked his .. Off. (congrats).

go99 wrote:
No they don't.  Most kids will stay in an enviornment where they get plenty of playtime and have fun.  I hear lots of talk of college soccer.  But do the kids realize how much of the college experience they would give up?

If you are in the USSDA system then the level of player commitment has changed and you are now on a different track with BB’s who have successfully gone through the process

go99 wrote:
And as your BB gets older and the teams get better he will have to make a choice.  Minecraft etc time will have to dwindle.  You will chose one sport or you will not be in academy.  BB is all about call of duty but between homework, practice, and travel for games his time to cut the xbox on is very limited.  While his friends hang out at the highschool football game friday night he either has to miss because of travel or leave early because of the game the next day.  It's not fair for a kid to make those sacrifices because it's what "you" want.

If you are on an Elite team then the decision to play was made in Youth Academy and BB’s who are accepted into and play their teen years in USSDA team are usually interested in playing pro or using College as a Soccer Springboard and are less concerned with its social aspect which by the way is overrated and insignificant to an academic

go99 wrote:
great advice if you want him to participate and have fun.  But if you put him on a team that he has to fight for every minute and it's not what he wanted, you basically forced him to give more to the game than he wants.  Bobby Rhine gave me the best advice when BB wanted to play up (I was really against him playing up because he is young for his age group and small). "It's his soccer.  If it's not going to hurt him let him do what he wants.  It will keep him motivated"  Bobby Rhine was right and I was wrong.  I  see too many kids forced into situations they didn't want.  Moved from teams with their friends when they only wanted to play with their friends and have fun.  Because the parents have some grand plan or unfulfilled dreams that their kid never had.  BB's are pleasers right up until they are old enough to stop pleasing (the magical burnout).  Help your kid get what HE wants from soccer.  Always keep in mind it's not YOUR soccer
I am happy that your experience has been good, but the landscape has also changed a bit and some BB’s are attending development academies as early as 9 years of age and have a clear view of the game and want to play and develop in a formal system (without all of the fanfare and "LOVE" for the game). As the parent of a football/soccer player I am responsible for pointing my BB in the right direction and helping him make decisions that don't please me, but help him. I would prefer him on a less successful team that is developing his future over a top team that can't use him. My BB doesn't need to please me with hardware and team rankings, I would prefer development at this age
PremierLeagueFan
PremierLeagueFan
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 10/15/2013, 7:15 pm

I am happy that your experience has been good, but the landscape has also changed a bit and some BB’s are attending development academies as early as 9 years of age and have a clear view of the game and want to play and develop in a formal system (without all of the fanfare and "LOVE" for the game). As the parent of a football/soccer player I am responsible for pointing my BB in the right direction and helping him make decisions that don't please me, but help him. I would prefer him on a less successful team that is developing his future over a top team that can't use him. My BB doesn't need to please me with hardware and team rankings, I would prefer development at this age[/color][/quote]
MY bb isn't that old that the landscape has changed that much but without all that silly love for the game lets see how it goes when he is lets say 16 and he is not following your direction. Let's see how it goes when he can't go hang out with his friend or go to a party because he has practice of a game. See how a kid who doesn't have that love for the game goes when soccer tells him ge can play but it's going to cost him something he wants. And as long as you and his coach are developing for his future, don't you think it should at least be a future he wants? I do agree that a kid should develope at this age but less successful teams aren't doing any better of a job at it that successful ones.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Last.Mohican 10/16/2013, 8:32 am

go99 wrote:As the parent of a football/soccer player I am responsible for pointing my BB in the right direction and helping him make decisions that don't please me, but help him. I would prefer him on a less successful team that is developing his future over a top team that can't use him. My BB doesn't need to please me with hardware and team rankings, I would prefer development at this age
cheers cheers cheers cheers

Last.Mohican
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 10/17/2013, 9:52 am

Great discussion.

Sometimes I think that playing in a market the size of DFW is a double edged sword. Parents and players have a plethora of choices related to playing. So, in a sense, there are 'too many' options.

On the other hand, there are better opportunities for exposure for players here. Given the four DA clubs.

I still believe that 80% of the equation is up to the individual player. learning rigid systems of play at 9 and 10 years old is not only unnecessary...they are a detriment to the individual player.

Parents lose sight of this. They equate success with the quality of the team.

Ball control is by far, the most important thing a kid needs to learn first. Without at least a decent technical base, it doesn't matter how big, strong or fast they are.

My 15 yr old has alwas played up an age group even 2...albeit not for the most 'successful' teams. Either by choice or necessity.

Granted, again, we live in a smaller market. Not a lot of choices.

I have often wondered if playing up has hurt the creative side of his game. It doesn't matter now, as he has evolved into a defender. (Granted a technically composed defender.)

Kids don't develop at the same rate. I would say the most important thing (especially at younger ages) is what they do outside of team practices. Hopefully, they spend a lot of time with the ball.

I've seen numerous examples of kids who weren't on exceptional teams but later on moved up to much higher levels.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ayza 10/17/2013, 3:11 pm

I think we are drifting to something else from the topic, but I can go along with that. So, as far as I can see and hear, soccer is not something we Americans really like to commit to in the long run. Even at the soccer practices, the dads were discussing about American football instead. I don't blame them, because think of how many thousand of fans, and the amount of money that pour into it. ESPN, and many major networks are all showing the college football games, while college soccer games barely have any time on the TV network. There isn't any team or super star for kids to look up to. It is like a lonely world we live in when we talk of soccer as an adult. Until, we can change all that. Soccer won't be as big as in Europe, or Latin America, and we won't have Messi, or Ronaldo to brag about.

ayza
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 10/17/2013, 5:14 pm

ayza wrote:I think we are drifting to something else from the topic, but I can go along with that. So, as far as I can see and hear, soccer is not something we Americans really like to commit to in the long run. Even at the soccer practices, the dads were discussing about American football instead. I don't blame them, because think of how many thousand of fans, and the amount of money that pour into it. ESPN, and many major networks are all showing the college football games, while college soccer games barely have any time on the TV network. There isn't any team or super star for kids to look up to. It is like a lonely world we live in when we talk of soccer as an adult. Until, we can change all that. Soccer won't be as big as in Europe, or Latin America, and we won't have Messi, or Ronaldo to brag about.
I see what you are saying. But, remember, this is a global game. Kids are going to emulate the best players..regardless of what country they come from.

Association football (soccer) isn't THE most popular sport in Wales either. Rugby is. Didn't stop Gareth Bale though did it?

Or Kagawa from Japan? Or players from other, lesser known footballing hotbeds.

No the problem isn't producing a world class American player. It has to happen at the grassroots.

The kids have to play on their own...a lot more. Sure there are other issues...but nothing replaces the actual playing ability of the individual player.

At this age they should be playing because they love it. Not what they may get from the game in 10-20 years.

And who cares if we ever 'produce' a Messi or Ronaldo?

That's another big part of the problem. It takes different types of players for teams to win.

There's beauty in the killer pass. The well timed tackle. The goal line clearance.

Personally, I'd prefer more Thiago Silvas, Daniele DeRossi's and Xabi Alonso's than anything else.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Minilla 10/17/2013, 5:23 pm

Laimport wrote:
ayza wrote:I think we are drifting to something else from the topic, but I can go along with that. So, as far as I can see and hear, soccer is not something we Americans really like to commit to in the long run. Even at the soccer practices, the dads were discussing about American football instead. I don't blame them, because think of how many thousand of fans, and the amount of money that pour into it. ESPN, and many major networks are all showing the college football games, while college soccer games barely have any time on the TV network. There isn't any team or super star for kids to look up to. It is like a lonely world we live in when we talk of soccer as an adult. Until, we can change all that. Soccer won't be as big as in Europe, or Latin America, and we won't have Messi, or Ronaldo to brag about.
I see what you are saying. But, remember, this is a global game. Kids are going to emulate the best players..regardless of what country they come from.

Association football (soccer) isn't THE most popular sport in Wales either. Rugby is. Didn't stop Gareth Bale though did it?

No the problem isn't producing a world class American player. It has to happen at the grassroots.

The kids have to play on their own...a lot more. Sure there are other issues...but nothing replaces the actual playing ability of the individual player.

At this age they should be playing because they love it. Not what they may get from the game in 10-20 years.

That's another big part of the problem. It takes different types of players for teams to win.

There's beauty in the killer pass. The well timed tackle. The goal line clearance.

Personally, I'd prefer more Thiago Silvas, Daniele DeRossi's and Xabi Alonso's than anything else.  

You get my vote for most reasonable and perhaps knowledgeable on this forum. How about taking over NTX soccer and running it the way it should be? If you're in, I'll get the petition started. We just have to figure out a way to overcome the evil and corrupt empires (Texans, FCD, Solar, and the others that are not too far behind) because they are not going to like this too much.

ps. Don't forget Iniesta.

Minilla
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ayza 10/17/2013, 10:59 pm

Laimport wrote:

Like I was saying it is just what it is. The most athletic, and talent kid will not play soccer while his friends get all the attention from the girls by playing football. Also, do you know how much a football, or basketball player get paid? An average MSL soccer player get paid about a football kicker salary or less. And talk about popularity, it is all about football and basketball in college. I am not trying to be pessimistic, but it is a long way to go in this country to get the passion that they have in Europe or Latin America.

ayza
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity 10/18/2013, 8:44 am

[/quote]Like I was saying it is just what it is. The most athletic, and talent kid will not play soccer while his friends get all the attention from the girls by playing football.[/quote]

Really? What age is your kid? Because this is not true in our school anymore. Several of our soccer players are being begged by football and track to come/come back to play with them...and the soccer players aren't interested because they say a 30 second play is so SLOW!

As for girls, if your bb has to use the jock card to get a girl interested, he's not going to get the "good" girls anyway!
Soccerinsanity
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Laimport 10/18/2013, 9:13 am

Soccerinsanity wrote:  
Like I was saying it is just what it is. The most athletic, and talent kid will not play soccer while his friends get all the attention from the girls by playing football.[/quote]
Really?  What age is your kid?  Because this is not true in our school anymore.  Several of our soccer players are being begged by football and track to come/come back to play with them...and the soccer players aren't interested because they say a 30 second play is so SLOW!

As for girls, if your bb has to use the jock card to get a girl interested, he's not going to get the "good" girls anyway![/quote]
Well put.

The football and track coaches have repeatedly tried to recruit my son. And this is at a 5A school.

I really get frustrated by the "inferiority complex" so many soccer parents seem to have. We don't need more NFL/NBA type athletes playing our brand of football.

The physical component of the game is a substantial part of it. But this game requires intelligence and technical ability.

The bad habits that bleed over from the other sports is one of the things that hurts the growth of the sport here.

And the parents are the main issue.

American kids have too many choices. And I'm not just talking about other sports. I'm talking about other "activities" or should I say, "non activity". Plus, let's face it...as a society we try to shield our kids from dealing with adversity.

Hence this forum and this thread!

Why do you think more and more foreign players are showing up in the NBA and MLB? Take a look at some college tennis rosters. vast majority are foreign players.

Why? Because they spend more time in their formative years on the court!

With all the kids we have playing soccer, only a very small percentage are truly serious about it. When I say serious, I mean they spend time every day working on their game.

Even with bad coaching, shortsighted parents and pay-to-play, if more kids would immerse themselves into the game we would see more elite players emerging.

We don't need more national championships, elite national leagues, etc. Kids need to play more, work harder and become students of the game.

Laimport
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Real Barcelona 10/18/2013, 9:14 am

"Like I was saying it is just what it is. The most athletic, and talent kid will not play soccer while his friends get all the attention from the girls by playing football. Also, do you know how much a football, or basketball player get paid? An average MSL soccer player get paid about a football kicker salary or less. And talk about popularity, it is all about football and basketball in college. I am not trying to be pessimistic, but it is a long way to go in this country to get the passion that they have in Europe or Latin America."
Again it is all about the love for the game. If the kid is not interested in soccer, futbol etc it does not matter how good they are. If they are in it to show off, it will eventually not matter. When the going gets rough your BB will quit. You need resilience and the burning desire to succeed in your sport not showing off at the games to attractive fans on the stands.

Real Barcelona
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next